Promised Love ~ Dramione

By hh_2000

"You said it yourself, you're a Death Eater, and correct me if I'm wrong but that's worse than being a Mudblo... More

The Beginning - Ch.1
Hogwarts Express - Ch.2
Hogwarts - Ch.3
Dorms - Ch.4
Marriage Law - Ch. 5
Letters - Ch.6
Pairings - Ch.7
Morning - Ch.8
Trust - Ch.9
Slytherin - Ch.10
Owls - Ch.11
Classes - Ch.12
Azkaban - Ch.13
Vial - Ch.14
Birthday - Ch.15
Tower One - Ch.16
Whiskey and Wine - Ch.17
Black Shirt - Ch.18
Narcissa Malfoy - Ch.19
Work - Ch.20
Granger - Ch.21
Tub - Ch.22
Halloween - Ch.23
November - Ch.24
Viktor Krum - Ch.25
Jealous - Ch.26
Them - Ch.27
Dinner (Part 1) - Ch.29
Dinner (Part 2) - Ch.30
Week one - Ch.31
Winter Reunion - Ch.32
Home - Ch.33
The Ball - Ch.34
Christmas (Part 1) - Ch.35
Christmas (Part 2) - Ch.36
Back to Hogwarts - Ch.37
Surprise - Ch.38
Saint Mungos - Ch.39
Us - Ch.40

Winter Break - Ch. 28

14.4K 278 283
By hh_2000

The common room was boy-free. It was the last night before they would leave for the break and a truce had been decided between them all. While the guys slipped into Hogsmead for the three broomsticks, the girls sat around the common room.

Pansy sat in one of the armchairs, as did Hermione. Luna and Ginny shared a couch. Astoria and Daphne shared a couch. And Lavender had one to her own, resting her back against the armrest with her legs straight.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, sharing the bottle of wine cooling on the coffee table. After it became unbearable, Pansy spoke. "We need a topic. A topic interesting and something we can drag out"

Astoria sat up instantly and Daphne soon followed, smirking. Ginny grinned and hid it behind her cup but her eyes landed on Hermione. Lavender was confused but intrigued, as was Luna.

"What's been happening between you and Draco, Granger?"Pansy asked, shifting in her seat to toss her legs over the armrest.

Hermione took a slow sip from her drink, aware of all the eyes on her. "I'm not sure what you're talking about"

"Let's start from the beginning"Ginny cleared her throat and leaned over. "What happened that led you two to sit in the bathtub together drinking?"

"That isn't the beginning"Luna said softly. "The beginning is when she wore his shirt the first night we began the weekly drinking night"

"The black shirt"Pansy smirked.

"Or you could also talk about where you and Draco disappear to every Saturday"Astoria added.

"Or I could stay silent because it really isn't any of your business"

"Oh come on, we need some entertainment" Lavender groaned, "You stay locked up together for hours but claim nothing's going on"

"Nothing is going on"

Pansy and Ginny scoffed. "There might not be any love-bites or sore areas but something is going on"

"What gives you that idea?"

"Draco has been awfully protective of you" Pansy smirked. "He's always watching when guys come up to you and he's always watching your every move when you're around Weasley. He wasn't like that 2 months ago"

"I do not control his actions. You should ask him"Hermione narrowed her eyes.

Ginny and Pansy shared a look that left Hermione feeling suspicious. "What about you?" Ginny asked.

"What about me?"

"You've memorized his footsteps that you don't even have to turn around to know it's him behind you. That's something"Ginny grinned.

"And those private conversations you have in this very room" Pansy said. "You always change the subject when anyone else is around"

"I don't know what you want to hear me say-"

"She wants questions"Lavender clarified.

"Have you and Draco Malfoy kissed?" Ginny questioned.

Hermione froze, her cup half way to her mouth. An eyebrow raise from Ginny was all it took for her to blush. Ginny gasped dramatically, "YOU HAVE?!"

"No!" Hermione rushed out.

"That blush says otherwise, Granger"Astoria smirked.

"We have not"Hermione said hardly. She looked down at her cup. "Not yet" She added quietly.

"Are you disappointed? You seem disappointed. Do you want to kiss him?" Luna asked curiously.

All eyes shifted to Luna before back to Hermione. Pansy's hand slapped over her mouth. "You've fallen for him, haven't you?"

Hermione's face reddened as she raised her cup to her mouth, not confirming nor denying the question.

"You have!"Ginny accused.

"Why haven't you kissed yet?" Daphne demanded, her usual calm being thrown out the window.

"We almost did... a few times"Hermione mumbled, swirling her cup.

"And you didn't tell me!?" Ginny snapped. "I thought we were best friends!"

"He didn't tell me either!" Pansy scoffed. "How many times?"

"What?" Hermione had lost track of their conversation.

"How many times have you almost-kissed?"

"When was the last time you almost-kissed?" Lavender corrected.

Pansy spared her a glare but was still intrigued. Hermione went a deeper shade of red as she mumbled an answer.

"What?" They all sat up.

"Last week"

There was a silence. "When was the first?" Pansy asked slowly.

Hermione stayed silent, trying to remember when exactly it had started. "At my parents house" She muttered. Pansy cackled as Ginny's eyes widened.

"2 months ago"

"Yeah"

"you've been keeping 2 months worth of information from me!?" Ginny snapped.

"Nothing happened-"

"What about the next?" Pansy interrupted.

Hermione paused. "In the hall- after Viktor came"

"In plain sight?" Astoria asked.

Hermione gave a short nod. "And a few times before that... then last week, when he called Blaise to bring a bottle to our room" She gave an annoyed sigh and shot a glare at Daphne. "Your loverboy interrupted us"

Daphne smirked. "So you really do want to kiss him"

Hermione looked away. "I'm not sure he wants the same. He's kept a bit of distance this week. And if he wanted to, I'm sure he would've"

"You want to, don't you? Then why haven't you kissed him yet?" Ginny asked.

"I... I don't know" She mumbled.

Lavender cleared her throat, gaining their attention. "I don't want to be rude. But I really do have some questions. Other than his looks, I don't see how you- how anyone could like Draco Malfoy?"

The three Slytherins immediately opted into defence mode but Hermione spoke before they could.

"He isn't as bad as he makes himself seem" She said, her eyes on her cup. "For one, he's thoughtful, he'll take something into consideration and tell you nothing about it" She explained.

"Every Saturday, we go to his apartment- one we've been turning into a comfortable home. I didn't think we'd live in an apartment, I expected him to move into a manor, Malfoy manor. And I didn't think he'd give a shit if I cared or not. But no" She took a breath before continuing.

"He chose the apartment. The apartment where you guys are close to us. It's near Grimmauld place, and it's on a muggle street but the building itself is magical. He knew Blaise and you, Parkinson, he knew you'd be moving there as well and said that Luna and Neville will be around. He took my feelings into consideration and made sure I wouldn't be lonely"

The other 5 in the room were silent but Hermione knew they were staring. "Another thing, when he began buying me clothes, he didn't mention it. He just put them in my dresser and kept his mouth shut. He won't let me pay- he won't even tell me where he gets them" She let out a soft laugh. "It's cute and... I appreciate him for it. For thinking of my comfort after everything that's happened"

And she continued. She went on, explaining every little detail he took to memory and every way he showed he cared.

He held me when my parents saw me as an outcast.

He defended me against his mother.

He keeps me grounded.

He keeps me feeling alive.

He thinks of my comfort before his.

He puts me first.

And the whole time, she kept her eyes on her a cup, a gentle smile spreading across her face. She didn't have to think of what to say... they just poured out. And she only realized then how much his actions meant to her. How much he meant to her.

Silence followed. Hermione wasn't sure if they were still there. She looked up and found all eyes on her.

"You've fallen in love with him"Ginny said.

"You have" Astoria grinned.

"You haven't told him, have you?" Pansy asked.

"No..." Hermione shook her head. Her eyes scanned over them, "and neither will any of you"

A nod from each helped Hermione relax, leaning back against the chair. "Now... how're you and Neville?"Hermione grinned at Pansy.

-:-:-:-

They were stared at when they entered the three broomsticks. No one could blame them... they were an odd group. One death eater, one Voldemort helper, one civil, one chosen one, one almost-chosen one, one Weasley and a hufflepuff.

"7 butterbeers please-" Harry began.

"3 whiskeys"Theo corrected. "3 whiskeys and 4 butterbeers"

Harry raised an eyebrow but didn't object. They got a table and the Slytherins sat on one side while the Gryffindors sat on the other. Ernie sat at the end of the table.

Draco sat between Theo and Blaise and Ron sat between Harry and Neville. They were face to face, both glaring.

Harry cast the Muffliato charm around them as Ernie cleared his throat. "So... how are things going with your wives?"

The 6 turned to him, Gryffindors amused. "What else is there to talk about? The only thing the 7 of us have in common is Quidditch and the marriage law"

"I'd say things are well"Blaise began, shrugging. "She's staying for the break but we'll be spending a week at my mother's in a few days and then a week at her father's"

"Good luck with that"Ron scoffed.

"And you, Draco?"Blaise shifted the conversation. Harry narrowed his eyes, knowing exactly what Blaise was doing. He smirked in return.

"We're meeting my mother tomorrow"Draco said calmly, his eyes wandering over to the bar.

"At the manor?" Harry questioned.

"Aren't we having dinner on the 6th?"Theo asked.

"Yes and we are. She'd like dinner with me and Granger first"

"Hermione wouldn't want to go there two days in a row" Ron snapped.

Draco's eyes moved to him, an eyebrow raised. "I believe I know what my wife wants, Weasley"

Theo let out a low whistle as Blaise hid a smirk with his fist. Neville smiled down at the table and Ernie pretended like he was focused on the menu. Harry raised an eyebrow and tilted his head to the side, suspicious. Ron glared at him, his hands balling into fists as his ears went red.

"Your wife, huh?" Ron snarled.

A smirk tugged it's way onto Draco's face. "Yes, my wife. Is there a problem?"

"Plenty"Ron grumbled. "You don't deserve her"

"Like you ever did?"

Ron aimed to get out of his seat but Harry's hand on his shoulder stopped him. "Ron, you really should focus more on Lavender than Hermione. Lavender is your wife" Ernie spoke.

Ron continued to glare at Draco, who merely made conversation with Theo instead. Their drinks arrived and they drank in silence. The tension didn't die out, it only grew with every sip.

"Hey, Longbottom" Theo began. Neville seemed surprised but looked his way. "How are you and Pansy doing? She hasn't complained about you all month" He smirked.

Neville blushed and hid behind his mug. Theo exchanged a quick glance with Blaise and Draco. "Don't even think about it" Harry warned.

"What're you talking about?" Blaise forged innocence.

"Don't"

The three Slytherins rolled their eyes. Neville still didn't put down his mug, and Ernie was grinning.

Ron was soon taken outside by Neville and Ernie because he kept himself in a mood. Then Blaise and Theo went to get more drinks, leaving Harry and Draco alone at the table.

"What're you doing with Hermione?" Harry questioned the second everyone left.

"Excuse me?"

Harry glared at him. "Hermione. You've been acting nice for the last month. You call her fancy names, you buy her clothes, you two disappear every Saturday for hours, you're always 5 feet away whenever any guy talks to her, and you're constantly dragging her away from us to spend time with you. You're only doing to bother Ron! You're messing with Hermione just to be a bastard to Ron!"

Draco raised an eyebrow and leaned back in his chair, unamused. He set his glass down on the table, his eyes trained on Harry as he spoke.

"Your Hermione is my wife. I can call her what I want, I can buy her what I want, I can take her where I want, I can watch her when I want and she has not objected. I don't care what your Weasley thinks, he keeps trying to flirt with my wife when his own is waiting for him in their bedroom" Draco snapped.

Harry opened his mouth to argue but Draco talked over him.

"I don't give a bloody fuck if you think I'm doing it to piss off Weasley, she is happy. That is all you should care about. I will deal with the rest of her wants and needs. You are her friend but I am her partner. I will not allow you to stick your nose into whatever you bloody want, fucking Chosen one or not"

Harry stared at him, his lips parted in shock as he tried to comprehend what he had heard. As he tried to comprehend what it meant. The blonde in front of him was glaring with more hatred than Harry had ever seen. He'd struck a nerve.

Theo and Blaise returned, Ernie, Neville and Ron behind them. Harry didn't get a chance to say anything. They seemed to notice the change, mostly because of Draco's heavy glare.

Ron seemed a bit cheerful to see Draco annoyed but the others remained curious. Harry didn't look at him for the rest of the night, always looking everywhere else.

They talked, Ron only speaking to Harry, Neville and Ernie. Ernie was neutral and didn't find a reason to ignore them. Harry just didn't speak to Draco. And Neville spoke to Ernie more often than the others. Since their partners were best friends, they ended up spending more time together than normal.

Draco kept his mind wandering, only occasionally nodding along to something they said. Granger. Granger. Granger. Granger. Hermione. That was how his thought process went.

Instead of being able to spend his last night with her, he was forced to leave to drink with idiots. One night alone and then he'd see her. But after the two dinners with his mother, he wouldn't see her until the 5th of January. And he was far too prideful to admit he wouldn't like her absence.

It would be the first he slept alone in 2 months and he had gotten too used to her presence. Too attached to her. And maybe it would be good for him to have some distance. But he knew it was going to hurt for a bit.

-:-:-:-

When it was nearly midnight, Hermione headed off to her room. Ginny, Luna and Lavender had decided to stay up a little later, but promised that they wouldn't wake up late. Pansy, Astoria and Daphne were staying behind at Hogwarts, just as Draco, Theo, Blaise and Ernie were.

She changed out of her clothes into a set of pyjamas Draco had bought her. She had just pulled the shirt over her head when he entered the room. She fixed her top as she turned to look over her shoulder at him.

He walked toward her, slowly. He stopped a few steps away but he was close enough to touch. She turned fully, confused. His hands, hesitantly, raised to her hips. He pulled her to him, so suddenly that Hermione let a surprised gasp slip.

One hand slid around to wrap around her waist, the other going to her face. He tilted her head up and leaned his forehead against hers. Just that. His hand went from her face to the back of her neck, his thumb buried in her hair.

She closed her eyes, her hands clenching his shirt. "Are you alright?"She mumbled, feeling the tension of his torso.

He didn't answer, his hand moving up to cradle her head as the other pulled her closer. "It's probably a good time to admit..." He began. "That I've been putting cooling charms around the room"

She paused, pulling her head back just a bit as she opened her eyes. "What?"

He opened his own and a small smirk appeared. "You've been putting up cooling charms? The whole time? We could've frozen to sickness! We had to find warmth in each other-"

The look he gave her made her stop. The look he gave her clarified that he had done it for that exact reason.

"Oh"

Oh.

-:-:-:-

She woke up late.

Hermione Granger woke up late.

She had a little over an hour to get to the station. And yet she still couldn't bring herself to pull away from him. They had fallen asleep almost instantly, his arms around her and hers trapped between them.

"If you want me to stay, I will"

He shook his head, "No. You can't change your mind for me. You should go"

When her alarm rang softly for the second time, she was drawn from her recap of last night and began pulling herself away. He had drank more than she had. He hadn't stirred once the whole night, not even as she got up. She went to her dresser quickly, having left only a few sets of clothes while the others were in her trunk. She'd prepared her clothes the night before, before he came into the room.

It was a dark green jumper, no buttons or zippers and along with black jeans. Both he had bought. She got dressed and was fixing her hair when her alarm rang a third time. There was a knock on the door a second later.

She spared Draco a glance, fixing her ponytail as she walked over to the door. She opened it and saw an overly excited Ginny. "You're late"She grinned.

Hermione frowned, "I'm packing a few last-minute things. I'll be down in a second" She told.

Ginny raised an eyebrow, smirking. "Give me your trunk and then you can go wish loverboy good bye"

Hermione glared at her, her face tinted pink. Her trunk flew over to her and Hermione pushed it out the door. "I'll be down in a second" She repeated.

Ginny tossed her one last cocky grin over her shoulder before dragging the trunk away. Hermione closed the door, leaning against it as her eyes were drawn over to Draco. He was still heavily asleep. She smiled.

She slowly walked over, sitting on the edge of the bed as she turned to look at him. A strand of hair had fallen over his forehead. She reached over, pushing it to the side and tucking it behind his ear. Her thumb dragged over his eyebrow, and she didn't second-guess herself as she leaned in.

She pressed her lips against his forehead for one- two, three seconds before pulling away. She smiled gently, taking a few moments just to take everything in before she stood. She grabbed her bag, pocketed her wand and walked out of the room.

"Oh, you actually meant a second"Ginny seemed surprised to see her.

Hermione glared at her, crossing her arms. Ron was by the portrait with Harry, eyeing them from across the room. Hermione stepped closer to Ginny. "I don't want to fight with him anymore than we already have. Please, please don't try anything. And don't mention anything we talked about yesterday"

Ginny gave a nod, all humour fading away. "I won't. Don't worry. But we should get going. We're going to be late" She tugged on her arm.

Lavender and Luna were having tea, talking as they sat on the couch together. Neville was trying to close his trunk as Blaise observed with a grin.

Hermione rolled her eyes when Blaise caught her looking and smirked. They filed out of the common room, Blaise staying behind with Luna for a few seconds.

They made it to the station with only 10 minutes to spare, rushing to find a compartment. After kissing Luna good bye, Blaise caught Hermione's arm before she could get on the train. Ron gave her a suspicious look but was dragged away by Lavender. The rest left, and Hermione turned to Blaise.

"If Weasley tries anything, I'm an owl away. He might see an opportunity without Draco there. If he says anything, I'll bring you right back here if you want. I know Draco won't be complaining"

She smiled at him, and pulled him in for a hug. He was surprised but it didn't take a second thought for him to wrap an arm around her shoulders. "You and Draco should be going together, you know. Alone. It could do you some good" He told.

"I don't think he wants to" Hermione shook her head, stepping away. "But if he changes his mind, let me know" Her lips twitched as Blaise raised an eyebrow.

"Okay, Lovebirds. I'll see you after the break then" He smirked, raising two fingers as a salute in good bye as the train whistle blew loudly.

She rolled her eyes, getting onto the train before leaving to find the others. She almost immediately ran into Ginny, who was not too far from her. "We need to talk- before we meet with the others" She said.

She found a compartment and dragged Hermione in, silencing it before sitting down in front of her. "You're in love with Draco Malfoy"

Hermione's face turned red in an instant and she covered her face with her hands. "Ginny-"

"I'm not here to judge you- I don't do that. But... how long have you been?"

She squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head slowly, "I- I don't know" She mumbled, dropping her hands in her lap. "It just happened"

"Nothing just happens. You built up to it. So, now be honest with me, what happens in your room? Hours alone had to have done something"

Hermione looked out the window as the train began moving. "We talk. Sometimes we drink and sometimes we just sit in silence..."

"Do you sit together?"

"What?"

"Do you sit together?" Ginny questioned. "Do you cuddle? Do you do homework together? What do you do?"

Hermione smiled softly. "We don't work together, no. But every night... Ginny, I haven't had to use a dreamless potion in weeks. His presence, it makes me feel safe"

"You cuddle every night?"

She took a breath. "We cuddle every night"

Ginny practically launched herself at her. She gave a very Molly-like hug, almost squeezing the life out of her. "Do you know how cute that is!? That's adorable! Draco Malfoy has a soft spot for you!"

Hermione's face went red as she tried to pull away from Ginny. "I wouldn't say-"

"Shush, I'm right! I didn't think he was capable of being nice but-! You always have a way of proving me wrong, Hermione"

-:-:-:-

They arrived at the station by nightfall, and it didn't take long for them to find the Weasley family. Molly and Arthur were sitting on one of the benches, Charlie sitting on the edge with a cup of coffee in his hand. Beside him stood Fred and George, showing him something on a piece of parchment. Percy wasn't too far from them, talking with Penelope Clearwater. Bill and Fleur were standing behind the bench, whispering to each other.

Ginny rushed to them instantly, leaving her trunk for Harry to bring. Ron soon followed, his hand in Lavender's while Harry and Hermione dragged the trolleys.

Molly shot up from her seat the second she saw them, opening her arms just as Ginny threw herself into her embrace. Arthur and Charlie stood, Ginny turning to them after Molly let go. Ron was then given the bone-crushing hug and was introduced to Lavender.

Harry and Hermione watched from the side, barely starting their conversation when the Weasley twins appeared behind them. "Outcasts, are you?" Fred asked, his elbow resting on Hermione's shoulder. George mimicked him, his elbow on Harry's right shoulder.

Harry grinned and greeted them. "How's the joke shop going?" He asked after George took the trolley from him, Fred doing the same with Hermione.

"Never been better. About 100 customers an hour. We have to close the shop for a week because we've sold out" George told

"Mostly"Fred added.

"Impressive" Was all Hermione could make out before Molly spotted her, dragging her into her embrace.

"How are you, dear? I'm glad you're staying with us, you seem stressed. You must rest. How's your partner? Will we see him anytime soon?" Molly rushed out her words as she cupped Hermione's face.

The conversation between Harry, Fred and George died the moment Molly mentioned 'Partner'. "Yeah, will we see him anytime soon?" George asked, standing straight.

Harry snickered and Hermione shot him a glare. "I hope he does, I tried interrogating him last night but it didn't end well. I'm sure it'll work better with you two"Harry told them.

"You did what?!"Hermione questioned.

Her attention was drawn away as Mr.Weasley approached but she made note to speak to Harry. They quickly filed out of the station, two ministry cars were waiting for them outside. They stuffed themselves in, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Bill and Lavender taking the first car while the others went in the second.

They talked the whole ride to the Burrow, Bill filling them in on everything that had happened since they'd left. Once they had arrived, they knew everything from the moment they left to the moment they saw them on the station.

Percy and Penelope been paired together.

Fred got Angelina Johnson.

George had been paired with Alicia Spinnet.

Charlie, who had been in Romania when the law was announced, wasn't under the law. Romania was one of the few countries that hadn't made a marriage law, according to Bill.

And, to their excited surprise, Fleur was about 3 months pregnant.

While the others entered the burrow, Hermione pulled Harry aside. "What did you say to Malfoy?"

"What?"

"You said you interrogated him last night. What'd you do?"

"Oh" Harry scratched the back of his head, avoiding her gaze as he stared down at his feet.

"Harry James Potter"

"Ok, ok!"He put his hands up in surrender. "I might've questioned him a bit... but he got his wand in a knot-"

"What did you say?"

Harry went quiet before answering. "I asked him what he thought he was doing and if he was only acting nice to you to mess with Ron"

"Harry!"

"I had to ask! Malfoy isn't nice! I thought he was toying with your feelings to get to Ron!"

"I get that you're concerned, Harry- but why connect it with Ron?"

"Because why else would Malfoy be nice?"

"He isn't evil. Just because you hate each other, doesn't mean he can't be decent to other people!"

"Hey!" They both turned at Ginny's voice. She looked between them before her eyes narrowed at Harry. "Mum wants you inside" She told.

Harry gave a nod and rushed away, closing the door behind him. Hermione crossed her arms, glaring at where he was as Ginny came to her. She rested her hands on her shoulders. "Are you alright?" Ginny asked.

"Fine"

"Don't lie"

Hermione rolled her eyes and pulled away. She leaned against the wall, pressing her palms to her eyes. "They can't get over it. Neither him or Ron can put things aside. And it's not like Malfoy is making it easy for them"

"What happened?"

"Harry went and questioned Malfoy about his intentions. And he connected it all to Ron, which no-doubt infuriated Malfoy. I knew something was wrong but he didn't tell me. He probably thought I was thinking like Harry. He thought I doubted his every move"

Ginny frowned, "I'm sure he didn't. You said he wasn't as distant as he had been all week. Maybe what Harry said made him want to comfort you?"

"Harry said that Malfoy said something but he hasn't told me what. And I have to find out" Hermione dropped her hands to her side.

Ginny offered her a grin, "you're seeing him tomorrow, aren't you? Ask him"

"What if-"

"Oi! Mum wants you both inside! We're about to eat!" Fred called. "We'll talk after dinner, alright?"Ginny mumbled to her, reaching for her hand. She tugged once before dragging her inside, putting on a false grin as she entered.

Hermione took one last look outside and with a sigh, followed after her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

487K 12.1K 42
It's been two years since the battle of Hogwarts and Hermione Granger and Ginny Weasley have everything they ever wanted. Great friends, amazing boyf...
297K 8.6K 23
Hermione spit her tea out in shock. This was not for real was it? It had to be a joke! I mean, come on, how could the ministry do this? A marriage la...
139K 4.2K 35
This is a sequel to Wrong Number (You can read this book without reading it but you may not understand all the references) 5 years after graduation...
6.7K 116 15
AU- Voldemort wins the war, Marriage Law. Hermione thought that losing The War was one of the worst things that could happen, her mind changed after...