The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City

344 25 3
By MissElleDee

Three days after their arrival at the duke's residence in the Royal City, it had not been difficult for Atallie to get accustomed to living at the residence.

And for those days, she had been dealing with a few matters at the residence that needed her attention.

For her fourth day of stay at the capital, an urgent letter arrived at her doorstep.

It was none other than the letter from Duke Calex himself.

Inside the drawing room.

"Madame, a letter from His Grace arrived," Lizbeth carefully handed the letter to Atallie, who was calmly sipping on her tea while Lila was attentively decorating her hair with ornaments and pearls.

Atallie looked up and glanced at the letter on the golden tray. Compared to the exquisiteness of the tray, the letter looked coarse and it seemed that it went through weathers on its journey before it arrived at the capital.

There was even a few splatter of blood on the envelope. Even so, Atallie picked it up and waved her hand to the two.

Lizbeth and Lila quietly retreated and exited the room.

"My dear husband, are you this mad? You even painted the letter with blood." Atallie was amused with the obvious temper of the duke that could be seen on the appearance of the letter. A sharp glint shone on her amber eyes as she looked at it.

Atallie took out the letter and unfolded it. The splatter of blood was nothing to her.

Her sharp yet cold stare skimmed through the contents of it. And after reading it, a miniscule faint smile appeared on her rosy lips.

"Are you this worried about me, my dear husband? You even wanted to go right after me even when you were too far a distance away from me."

Atallie folded the letter and put it back in its envelope. She stood from her seat and went towards the open balcony.

"As much as I wanted to keep this letter, I will have to destroy it just in case it creates any trouble," Atallie said. And with that, she fetched a fire stone somewhere and lit the letter until it turned to ashes. It quickly scattered with the wind.

Staring ahead as she watched the last bit of ashes get carried away with the wind, Atallie spoke again, "I must face this situation alone. If not, all your plans will be for naught."

A faint yet dangerous smile appeared at the corner of her pink lips. "After all, if you fail, I will also be implicated. And we don't want that to happen, don't we?"

A knock came at the door that snapped Atallie back.

"Madame, the carriage of Her Royal Highness has arrived," Lila's voice sounded behind the door.

"Her Royal Highness?"
It seems like the princess is truly investing her time and attention on me that she even sent one of Her Royal Highness's carriages to personally fetch me

"Come in." Atallie calmly went back to her seat in front of the mirror as if nothing happened.

Lila entered upon hearing Atallie's command. She was a bit surprised to see the duchess back on her seat.

"Finish up and we will go on our way," Atallie said to Lila through the mirror.

"It will not take long, Madame!" Lila beamed at her and continued working on the ornaments on her hair.

Not long after, Atallie, together with Lizbeth, was already on her way to none other than the Royal Palace located at the heart of Heraldia - the Royal City.

Arriving at the central palace gate, Lizbeth slightly lifted the carriage curtain.

"Madame, we have arrived. This is the central gate of the palace. Looking at it, one will see how opulent the Kingdom of Hartize is! Although we are not the best among the neighboring kingdoms, we are certainly not the least," Lizbeth informed.

Lifting her gaze, Atallie lightly looked at the towering gate and surrounding walls of the palace. Precious gems and high quality materials were made for the exterior of the palace. Such extravagance was truly something.

Then, her nonchalant yet deep gaze landed on Lizbeth who was beaming at the sight of the palace.

"You seem so impressed about the palace," Atallie said.

Lizbeth, with her shining eyes turned to look at Atallie. "Yes! Back then, when I was still a child, I once saw the palace. And ever since that day, I always wanted to somehow reside inside and perhaps work as a maid or just an ordinary servant. However, my fate is certainly not for that."

"Are you regretting it?" Atallie asked.

With a smile on her face, Lizbeth shook her head. "I don't regret anything."

"This power, this ability, was all given to me to help others. If I had known from the very beginning that I would have such talent, I wouldn't have dreamt of being a maid in the palace!" Lizbeth answered with a frown on her face, showing her slight disgust with her own thoughts.

"Why stay inside the palace and scrub the floor or wipe the windows? I am living a free life right here, right now, aren't I?" Lizbeth beamed.

"Alright, you are. Now, calm down and be ready." Atallie responded. Thanks to Lizbeth's antics, Atallie was almost laughing on the inside. But she still had to maintain her face in front of her lady-in-waiting and for what was to come later.

"Madame! Please be rest assured, everything will be alright. And if not, this humble one will just have to play a little trick..." Lizbeth said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Atallie was amused at Lizbeth. As the days passed by, she was getting more and more satisfied with this lady-in-waiting of hers.

With a small curve at the corner of her lips, Atallie responded, "If you say so. Then, let us be on our way."

At the Blooming Star Garden.

A plentiful of rare and one of a kind species of blooming and beautiful flowers were everywhere to be seen.

The grasses were well-trimmed, green and lush. The bushes, hedges and shrubs were well-groomed and decorated.

The trees were full of fruits, plump and healthy.

But what stood out most among the magnificent garden was the golden fountain and statue at the center of the garden.

The bright rays of the sun were gloriously pouring down over the golden fountain and statue, which made both as striking and as attractive as they could. Once you stepped into the garden, the fountain and statue could easily snatch one's attention.

The place was truly beyond your ordinary garden.

Where else could such a garden be?

If not in the Royal Palace, where else could one see it?

Of course, it could only be inside the palace.

Not even Duke Calex or Duchess Atallie owned a golden fountain or statue.

Not that the duke could not afford it. But it was rather overly extravagant and troublesome to own one.

Besides, the duke was never in need of such nonsensical extravagance.

Thus, this kind of luxury, only a royalty could care about.

And yes, this Blooming Star Garden was none other than the garden of the one and only Her Royal Highness Princess Avaria Rox Clementine.

His Majesty the King had only three children. Two were born of Her Majesty the Queen and one was from a concubine.

Cruel and merciless as he was, known by his many atrocious deeds, the king was also not short for women. He quite enjoyed his life in debauchery.

However, it was like his too many to mention vicious acts, both hidden and out in the open, came down to one punishment - to only be able to produce three offspring among his garden filled with flowers.

The firstborn was His Royal Highness Prince Adrien Rex Clementine, born from Her Majesty the Queen, second was another son from a concubine, His Royal Highness Prince Alden Rux Clémentine, and the third one was a daughter born from Her Majesty the Queen and it was none other than the shining and bright Her Royal Highness Princess Avaria Rox Clementine.

Now, Her Royal Highness, in one of her highly sought tea parties, out of her curiosity and intrigue about the new duchess of the notorious duke, wanted to finally meet the duchess. Thus, she extended an invitation and wanted to see whether the duchess would care to answer her invite.

And much to her surprise, Princess Avaria certainly received an answer from the faraway duchess.

Now, that duchess truly traveled far and wide and finally arrived at the Royal City, inside the Royal Palace, and finally, at her Blooming Star Garden.

Duchess Atallie was now currently seated at the other end of the long table. It was her rightful seat after all, given that her noble rank was next to the princess.

However, much to her expectations, when she finally arrived at the venue, though the place was fully decorated lavishly and extravagantly, thorns and poisons were all she could see when she saw the attitude and expression of the other noble ladies invited at the party.

Alas, Atallie could only sigh on the inside.

What else could she expect? This was the capital of the kingdom, the Royal City wherein the highest, noblest and most prideful people were residing.

The bright atmosphere was drastically dampened by the chaotic and dark aura coming from most of the present ladies.

And Atallie could just ignore all of them.

Unless she was provoked, she would not jump in first for any trouble.

Her lady-in-waiting, Lizbeth, together with all the other lady-in-waiting, was seated at the other side of the garden. They had their own place to stay and wait for the call of their lady. Their table was not near yet not far from the main venue of the party.

One could easily gesture to another when one might need to do it.

After settling down, since the host was not yet at the table, the party was yet to begin. Thus, Atallie could only remain as calm as she always was while listening to the gossiping around her.

Atallie knew.

She knew that Her Royal Highness might have been taking her sweet time to arrive to try to aggravate her with the terrible gossiping tongues of the ladies around.

Atallie could only resist rolling her eyes at them all. She could only sit still while already expecting how ridiculous the entire party would be.

Several minutes passed, and much to what Atallie had suspected, Princess Avaria really took her time.

Everyone was already quite uncomfortable with the waiting, but no one could voice out their annoyance. And before one could do so, someone finally broke through the chattering, announcing the arrival of Her Royal Highness.

"Her Royal Highness Princess Avaria Rox Clementine has arrived."

All the ladies, including Atallie, stood and curtsied in respect.

With all the vibrant and glorious lavishness and beauty, there she was, Her Royal Highness Princess Avaria Rox Clementine, dressed in an obviously costly and precious dress with simple yet rare gems plastered on them. Her hair was perfectly done in mesmerizing curls with imported hair accessories that could only be found and purchased at the neighboring kingdom at a hefty price.

Gracefully walking toward the table, on her tantalizing face, a small yet blooming smile could be seen.

"We greet Her Royal Highness the Princess of Hartize," the ladies greeted with all their beaming and ingratiating smiles.

"Thank you for waiting," Princess Avaria said in response.

No apologies.
As if waiting for half an hour was just nothing.

She didn't have to. And everyone knew about that.

After all, she was at the highest seat, only next to Her Majesty the Queen.

"Please take your seats and we shall begin the party," she said. Her voice was as sweet as honey yet it was also stinging as the bite of the bees.

Once seated, the servants started attending to everyone at the table.

And as the tea party began, so as the Princess's game commenced.

"Your Royal Highness, it was such a perfect day to have your tea party today!" The lady to her right exclaimed in delight.

Atallie deduced that she was Meredith, the number one lackey of the princess.

"Indeed, Lady Meredith is right. The weather was just right and the breeze was cooling and refreshing!" The lady from her left said.

Ah, that's Tellina, the second one...

"Is it? Then, I am filled with joy to hear that," Princess Avaria said. Her pointed smile was unfaltering.

"We are more than honored to be here, Your Royal Highness," another lady said.

"Truly delighted, Your Royal Highness!"

"That is right. To be here is an honor and a pleasure."

"To have been invited by Your Royal Highness is always a delight."

Everyone chimed in, except for Atallie who was already holding her cup to her mouth while most were still buttering up with the princess.

Princess Avaria, as always, gracefully and beautifully received their praises and kind words with her pretty face and bright smile.

But as she took in everyone's words, her attention was not entirely among them.

Her line of vision was never leaving the seat where Atallie was, which was directly just across her seat.

When Princess Avaria was already getting tired of smiling and listening, she gave a subtle glance to Meredith.

And Meredith knew exactly what that subtle glance especially meant.

"To have been invited here and to accompany Your Royal Highness will always be our greatest delight!" Meredith said as her eyes landed on Tellina.

Another signal.

"That is true, indeed! But today seems to be a special day, isn't it?" Tellina said, glancing around, getting everyone's attention with her big and rounded eyes, until they stopped back at Meridith.

"Oh, truly! Other than Her Royal Highness, we have been graced by the presence of one of the noblest ladies in the kingdom!" Meredith said in great enthusiasm. As if she was truly excited by the fact that one of the noblest ladies in the kingdom was currently with them at the tea party.

Her droopy gleaming eyes and overly exaggerated smile came back to Princess Avaria, which only meant that it was her cue now to speak.

And just so naturally, as what she was already used to, Princess Avaria smoothly picked up the conversation.

"Oh, that is right!" Princess Avaria acted like she was somehow startled.

But with a charming smile on her face, she said, "I was just about to introduce our new friend," her eyes darted at the other end of the table where Atallie was seated as she continued, "the wife of the greatest warrior of the kingdom, Her Grace The Duchess of Kargaz, Atallie Ygravet - Tygart."

And with that, everyone's attention darted to Atallie as well.

Some might have already heard and speculated. But to hear it directly from Her Royal Highness, everyone gasped at the confirmation.

Everyone's thoughts came down to only one question as their eyes squinted and narrowed as they took in and judged the entirety of Atallie's appearance and bearing.

So, it was the rumored duchess?

Suddenly, the atmosphere at the table shifted. And Atallie, who was currently sipping on her tea, had a faint smile on her lips behind her cup of tea as a sharp glint flashed underneath her lowered eyes.

But that smile and glint quickly faded as he put down her cup back on the table.

Lifting her cold yet sharp brilliant amber eyes, her stare met the Princess's.

Princess Avaria could not be bothered by how cold and sharp Atallie's eyes were. For in her eyes, Atallie was nothing more than a discarded pawn. A puppet on display and nothing more.

Thinking about it, Princess Avaria could not help flashing a mocking grin before she collected herself and spoke again.

"Thank you for attending this small gathering, Lady Atallie - ah, Your Grace, rather." A conflicted expression appeared on her delicate face, "I apologize, it was just that, up to this moment, I could not believe that His Grace had taken a wife. I mean, His Grace and I grew up together and then one day, I found out that he got married..."

What the heck is she talking about?

Atallie's eyelids almost twitch.

"Ah, Your Royal Highness, we were as astounded as you are. We are all witnesses of how Your Royal Highness and His Grace have always been together ever since, and then, and then..." Meredith echoed.

"Even in formal occasions, His Grace always went with Your Royal Highness and never failed to accompany Your Royal Highness." Tellina second the motion.

Ah, so this is how she's going to play today's game...

Atallie sneered at how ridiculous the game was.

What does she mean they grew up together?

You mean, my dear husband has been suffering since then just to accompany you!

Ha! It's a good thing I did my assignment and have known beforehand this nonsensical tale between my husband and this spoiled princess.

"Do not say that, Her Grace might misunderstand," Princess Avaria said with a little frown on her face and with a gentle smile on her red lips. As if she truly cared whether Atallie would be misunderstood.

Everyone at the table came from the noble and aristocratic houses in the capital and some among them were daughters of the ministers. Thus, everyone could tell what was currently being unfolded at this tea party.

Few easily went with the princess, and some just echoed and only few held their own mouth to speak carelessly.

But just as the little discussion could go on for a longer time, Atallie decided to end it right away lest her ears would suddenly bleed out of irritation from all the buzzing.

"I understand, Your Royal Highness," Atallie started.

No smile on her pink lips.
No shine on her amber eyes.
No expression on her face.

Atallie remained impassive as she always was.

Even her monotonous tone didn't change.

Princess Avaria dangerously narrowed her glinting pale yellow eyes.

With one sentence from the duchess, the table became quiet. Her voice was monotonous yet the princess felt that there was a faint discernible force on them that made everyone halt their tongues and mouth.

Even she, as the princess, could not help but to hold her breath at the sudden words of the duchess.

Adjusting her breath and the irritation that she was holding back from the very beginning, Princess Avaria opened her mouth and asked, "What is it, pray tell, that Your Grace has understood?"

Atallie, having heard of Princess Avaria's question, picked up her cup once again and took her sweet time to sip on it before putting it back down.

Then, slowly, she leaned back at her seat, and said, "I understand that His Grace must have been truly treating Her Royal Highness with utmost respect and courtesy, lest he would have been judged for not performing his duties as the greatest warrior of the kingdom."

"What?" Princess Avaria was taken aback.

"His Grace, my dear husband, is truly dedicated to his post and of course, serving the kingdom, and the royals, is of utmost significance to him," Atallie continued.

Meredith, Tellina and the rest of the ladies were taken aback as well.

Where in the world did the duchess get the gall to talk back to Her Royal Highness like that?

The atmosphere around the table became cold and tense.

Everyone was well aware of what was happening.

And no one dared to even breathe loudly at the current siege between the duchess and the princess.

Atallie knew as well. With her response such as this, she would be able to stir up the princess and even end up on her bad side.

But what could she do?

She already told herself from the very beginning, that unless provoked first, she would not jump in first for any trouble.

Alas, their words might not mean anything to Atallie, but to tolerate the disgusting game that the Princess was playing, it was not Atallie's cup of tea.

However, she also knew where and when to stop.

Thus, Atallie opened her mouth to speak once again, "I also truly believe that His Grace and Her Royal Highness were in a close relationship given the dedication of His Grace."

Picking up her cup, Atallie gestured for the servant nearby to refill it. And while waiting for her tea, Atallie continued, "Thus, I would like to ask Her Royal Highness to speak to His Grace when the time comes to back me up."

Princess Avaria, currently with a frown, was taken aback once again.

What does she means to back her up?

This was also what everyone on the table was thinking about.

And much to her curiosity, Princess Avaria could not help but ask.

"Back you up? What does this mean, Your Grace?" Princess Avaria asked.

Atallie smirked on the inside.

She knew that she somehow managed to stir the topic off the dangerous one.

"This, it might be inappropriate to share with everyone. However, since Your Royal Highness asks, I shall answer," Atallie said.

With her cup now refilled, she brought it to her mouth and took a sip before putting it back to the table.

Everyone's attention was intently on hers.

Now, they were caught in her own game.

And she was the one to play with them.

With her amber eyes, cold yet sharp, intently staring back at the princess, Atallie slowly said, "I left the estate without the permission of His Grace."

And with that, Atallie dropped the ball and Princess Avaria should be the one to catch it.
______

A/n: I'm back!!!
I'm so sorry for the long break!
Things got really busy at work and I'm caught up in some things.
Writer's block got in the way as well.

But don't you all worry, my dear readers! I will not leave you all and this story alone.

The updates will continue at a steady pace, as usual, hopefully.

I'm just going to finish another report this week and I'll be truly free! ⊂⁠(⁠(⁠・⁠▽⁠・⁠)⁠)⁠⊃

Please don't forget this story.
Vote. Comment and Share!
I'd love to hear your thoughts and as always, I'll appreciate it all! ༼⁠ ⁠つ⁠ ⁠◕⁠‿⁠◕⁠ ⁠༽⁠つ

I haven't forgotten the deal that I spoke about before - reaching 100 comments will lead to another Special Chapter! And I bet y'all know what Special Chapter means, right? (⁠ ⁠◜⁠‿⁠◝⁠ ⁠)⁠♡

So, stay tuned! And I'll see you in the next chapter!

Ciao ~

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 2.4K 56
Fate leads those who are willing but must push those who are not. One might interpret this saying a bit too literal. After all, Elena did end up on t...
0 0 2
Content Warning: This story contains mature content such as swearing, mild gore, and character death. Viewer discretion is advised. ...
96 0 15
HEARTS, beings with humanoid forms that have powerful magic power. The stronger these beings are, the stronger the kingdoms that own them become...
247 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...