𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐄𝐋...

By sadgirlzera

Selina Aakifah Maxwell was just like her mother. At the age of 16, she was the Queen of Pengry Private School... More

Welcome
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
TOUR DATES
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Epilogue
Book Four: The Rules of Lorenzo

Forty

4.6K 118 15
By sadgirlzera

CHAPTER FORTY
THE RULES OF SELINA
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

My body froze, and it took a few seconds to comprehend what had just happened. Solána stood up, and pulled me from the chair, wrapping her arms around me. "So happy for you!"

"Thank you," I whispered. Making my way to the stage, I thanked the security guard who helped me up the stairs and even adjusted the train of my dress. "Confidence, Selina. Confidence," I mumbled, straightening my back.

The Mariah Carey handed me my first-ever Grammy, and I swore I felt like I was dreaming.

"I um, oh god. I don't even know what to say," I said, standing behind the microphone. My eyes skimmed the large Academy, feeling my breath hitch in the back of my throat.I couldn't believe this was happening, this didn't even feel real.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank my fans. Thank you for being there with me at every moment, I truly couldn't make it here without you. When I started singing when I was 7, I never imagined I would be up here winning a Grammy. I never believed people when they said to follow your dreams but now I understand why that matters so much. Thank you to my wonderful team, they made sure everything was perfect for today, with my makeup and my outfits. Thank you to my manager William, he's been such a pleasure to have around and of course, I want to thank my friends and family who always believed in me from the beginning," I said, earning applause. Waving one last time, I turn around and make my way off the stage backstage.

There I see my parents and my siblings waiting for me while chatting with themselves. Mom and dad cheered once they saw me, pulling me into their embrace. Lorenzo nodded, and I knew that was his way of congratulating me.

"Not bad, dickface," Serafina said, and I rolled my eyes. "Call me when you win a Grammy, herpes,"

"Oh, it's beautiful," Mom said, a small tear falling down her cheek. "It represents all the hard work you've done over the past year,"

"I'm so proud of you, Selina," Dad said, placing a kiss on my temple. I found myself growing comfortable with my family like I didn't want to leave. Even though the best thing in the world just happened to me, I wanted to celebrate with them—the people who knew the real me.

"Miss Maxwell, it's time to get you ready for your performance,"

But I couldn't.

"Yes, I'm coming," I assured the woman. Saying goodbye to my family, I followed her back to my dressing room. They said they'll head back to their seats and they'll waiting for me once I finish. Once I entered inside, I spotted William who waited with my glam team.

"I have to fix my makeup," I said, placing the Grammy down on my vanity before grabbing some gloss. I used the reflection of it to make sure my lips were coated perfectly and my manager, William chuckled behind me.

"So bougie,"

For the next hour, my team helped me get ready. They brought out my dress, changed my jewelry, and restyled my hair. For my performance, I was wearing a white dress with a black robe on top, shielding my body. The media was brutal when you're a celebrity because they criticize everything about you, including your body.

"You look incredible," My stylist artist assured, only adding to my happiness. Soon, it was time and I only had a few minutes to get to my assigned place backstage. I pulled my team for a huddle, taking a moment to thank them. "I love you guys and I am so so so grateful for everything you do. You guys are my best friends for life,"

They wished me luck, adjusting the long robe I wore about my body. As soon as I walked out of my dressing room, there was more of my team standing out there with Grammy producers. Once they saw me, they instantly started clapping.

"Thank you, everyone," I said, pulling them all for a group hug. We quickly said a small prayer, and that helped calm my nerves. Soon, I spotted Ricardo who leaned against the wall wearing a beautiful Armani suit while holding a large banquet.

"Told you, you would win,"

Instantly, a large smile appeared on my face as I made my way over to him, wrapping my arms around his torso. "I'm glad you're here, Ric,"

"I could never miss this," He assured me, placing a kiss on my forehead. "Even if the backstage passes cost an arm in a leg,"

One of my assistants grabbed the banquet and walked towards my dressing room. The only people who knew about my relationship were my team and I trusted them with my life.

"I'll see you when you're finished. Maybe, I'll sneak your ass out so I can get you all by myself, Dove," He whispered against my lips, keeping his eyes trained on me.

"I still have a couple of Grammys to win," I said, sending him a confident wink. "Besides, when we go on our beacation, you'll have me all to yourself,"

"Is that what your generation calls it? Baecation?" He asked, completely lost. "Yes, old man," I said, pressing my lips against his. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him.

When the kiss became heated, I gently pulled away, even though I wished to stay with him. "I have to go,"

"I know," He said, and I pecked his lips once again before heading off. I was guided to my assigned stage and handed my earpiece and microphone. They allowed me to head up on the stage because the curtains were closed and the audience couldn't see me. Since there was just a break, the stage crew was able to set up the decorations quickly.

Looking around, I wave at the drummer, the two guitarists, and the pianists. Soon, I make my way to my seat which was in the center. In front of me was a production table, and a microphone stand behind it. I secured the microphone in place, taking a deep breath.

The performance before me closed out and before I knew it, I heard Keke's voice again. "For our next performance, she's an icon. Her vocal range is unprecedented and impressive. Introducing Miss Selina Aakifah Maxwell!"

The white curtains separated, revealing me to the audience. My hands begin to shake due to nervousness, as I pressed the record button on the production table. I started humming, adjusting the microphone stand in front of me.

When I'm finished, I play it back intending to add back to it. My voice rings through the speakers and this time, I hum a high pitch so I'm harmonizing with myself. The audience is quiet as I continue doing this, each time going higher and higher. I closed my eyes, listening to my voice at different notes. It honestly, sounded angelic and I was impressed with myself for not fucking it up.

"Wow," I heard someone say.

Finally, the band began playing the rhythm and I start singing the intro. "You're mine when you see me but she's a call away. You put me back together just to throw me apart, baby. I should have listened to all the girls that said that's your art, maybe,"

"I'm at your mercy but tell me would you come if I rang your line? You picked me up to throw me against the wall, yet you're still on my mind. I didn't know I was replaceable but here you are with your new valentine. When you touched my skin, I knew you felt my heart rate. But us together is my Recipe of Hate,"

"Ever since you changed, we don't have fun these days. And this used to be our world but look what you've done. When you stopped loving me, I believed it just was a phrase. I guess when the lights went out, it meant you're my Recipe of Hate, oh yeah,"

And this used to be our world but look what you've done

"You've done, baby," I said in a higher pitch. "I guess when the lights went out, it meant you're my Recipe of Hate, yeah,"

I'm at your mercy but tell me would you come if I rang your line?

"I'm at your mercy," I sang, making sure to hit all the high notes and stretch the 'mercy' note out. "If I rang your line,"

You picked me up to throw me against the wall, yet you're still on my mind.

"On my mind, baby,"

I didn't know I was replaceable but here you are—

"With your new valentine,"

When you touched my skin, I knew you felt my heart rate. But us together is my Recipe for Hate

"But us together is my Recipe for Hate,"

The music slowly began to die out, but the spotlight on me brightened. Finally, I knew it was time.

I stood up from my chair, unraveling my dress and exposing my pregnant belly to the world. The audience gasped, instantly calling out my name and clapping. A large smile appeared on my face as I earned a standing ovation.

"Thank you," I whispered, throwing a kiss before grabbing the end of my dress and walking off, still hearing my name being cheered.

•••••

So I got into a car accident today...

Fuck my life.

All day, I've been craving a donut from dunkin' donuts which is literally four minutes from my house and I finally decided to get it today.

After picking it up, I turned right and some drunk driver rare ended me. I was listening to Glorilla's Tomorrow 2 and at first, I didn't believe it cause I was occupied dancing. But then I realized, it was real and someone actually hit me.

I put my blinker on, slowed down and even fucking went into the shoulder lane before turning, but still ended up getting hit...

MIND YOU, IT HAPPENED TODAY (SUNDAY) AT 6 PM. Who tf gets drunk on Sunday?

The damage wasn't that bad but I have PTSD and I want to cry for the rest of my life. And I still have to drive to class tomorrow, guys I might have a fucking panic attack.

Anyway, the $1.70 donut was worth getting my car fucked up, it was so good. I got the pink donut with the sprinkles, I loved every once of it.

Moving on, my birthday was last week so this is just the best birthday present....

I watched Black Panther last Saturday and I just felt I needed to incorporate Chadwick's legacy into my story. He's someone who inspires me even though he's not currently here with us, I still love him
so much.

Thank you for the support and Happy Thanksgiving!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 2.9K 50
Daphne Collins, a 21-year-old aspiring artist who is attempting to make her way in the world of the bustling New York City. Though when a new nannyin...
1.4M 40.7K 44
Clara Bowen has had a troubled life. Her family, being very religous, has entrapped her into a life hidden from the real world. Now Clara is given th...
93.5K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...
25M 701K 69
"How much for an hour?" He dug through his wallet, fiercely dark gaze avoiding mine like the plague. I backed away from him, panic rising, "I'm not...