𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒 πŽπ… 𝐒𝐄𝐋...

By sadgirlzera

Selina Aakifah Maxwell was just like her mother. At the age of 16, she was the Queen of Pengry Private School... More

Welcome
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
TOUR DATES
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Forty
Epilogue
Book Four: The Rules of Lorenzo

Thirty Nine

4.2K 130 2
By sadgirlzera

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
THE RULES OF SELINA
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

"Today is April 11th, the night of the Annual Grammy Awards! Celebrities from around the world have come to Las Vegas to celebrate the art of music and culture. The official nominee list came out a couple of months ago along with the performance list. Tonight is looking very promising. My name is Sandra Alexander and I'm covering E! News tonight. Much more is on the way,"

I tapped my heel anxiously, feeling my nerves continue to dance. As my team and I traveled in the Mercedes Van, I could feel my heart beat rapidly against my ribcage. There was a TV in the far right corner so I was able to see what the reporters were saying. Madison and I managed to meet up a few hours before and decided to go together. She knew how anxious I was and I couldn't be more grateful for her support.

This was one of the most important nights of my life and I had so much in store, I couldn't mess any of it.
Madison placed her hand on mine, grabbing my attention and sending me a kind smile.

"Don't be anxious, babe. You're at the Grammy's. Make the most out of it," She said, and I found myself relaxing at her reassuring words. "Thanks, Maddy,"

We finally arrived at the red carpet and together, we helped each other up. My makeup artist fluffed my hair as my stylist adjusted the train from my dress. I grabbed Madison's hand,

"You ready?" She asked, and I nodded gently. "Ready as I'll ever be,"

The doors to the van opened shortly and the two of us walked out. Instantly, our security surrounded us while the fans behind the fence screamed for our names. Together, we were guided to the official carpet where the rest of the celebrities were. My eyes widened as I spotted Ariana Grande, and Lady Gaga taking a picture together. Behind them, I saw Trevor Noah and Bruno Mars having a conversation while the cameras pointed at them.

Madison held my hand throughout until it was time to take our pictures. The Grammy coordinators guided her further down the red carpet, before guiding me to my spot. As soon as I began posing, the paparazzi instantly began taking photos of me.

"Selina! Over here,"

"Look this way, Selina!"

"Turn to your left!"

I turned my head, spotting Mallory and Athena holding up a large sign with my name on it while calling out for me. I had never expected them to come here, especially because Savannah is on the other side
of the United States.

Making my way towards them, I pull them for a hug over the fence as security followed me. "Ma'am, I'm afraid we need to follow the schedule and get you inside,"

I ignored them, and instead pulled my best friends closer. "I love you guys,"

"Love you too, Sel," Mallory admitted. "And we'll be inside watching you kill your performance and win your first-ever Grammy,"

"You think I'm going—,"

"Think? Oh, baby, you're nominated for three categories. You're taking something home," Athena speculated, only making me take a deep breath.

"Miss Maxwell, we need to get you inside,"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming," I rolled my eyes, soon saying goodbye to my girls. With my security team near me, I was guided inside the Academy and towards my seat. I didn't want to do any interviews because I knew I would be asked about my love life and why I'm still "single."

For the next 20 minutes, I'm sitting in my seat where I feel a little less anxious. The paparazzi aren't allowed inside so I know they won't be a problem do the rest of the night. The reception is about to start soon, and I'm seated next to SZA and Doja Cat. Amala and I haven't talked in a while since she's been on tour but once we saw each other tonight, it seemed like we were always close.

Meanwhile, SZA—or Solána— and I instantly clicked. She told me about her upcoming album and I had to hide the fact that I was secretly dying inside because I've always admired her music.

"I'm gonna head to the bathroom before they start," Solána assured.

"Bitch, have you seen the time? It's about to start. Girl, you gon be carrying your dress down the fucking hallways because you'll be running back,"

"Nah, I'll be quick," She verbalized and walked off.

"Amala," I heard from my right. Turning my head, I spot Ariana Grande and my eyes widen, instantly. She's wearing a beautiful grey puffy dress and her brownish-blonde hair is tied up in a high ponytail.
Amala stood up, pulling her for a hug while I just watched them with a frozen body, unable to move.

"Bitch you look good as fuck. If you weren't married to that tall skinny man, I would take you home with me,"

"As if I would ever give you a chance," Ariana said, throwing her head back and chuckling. When she looked in my direction a few seconds later, her eyes narrowed. "Oh my god, Selina Maxwell? It's so good to meet you, finally!"

"M-Me?" I asked, feeling like I couldn't breathe. The Ariana Grande was standing in front of me and she actually knew who I was.

"Yes you," She giggled, pulling me for a hug.

"I think I love you," I whispered, pressing my lips together due to embarrassment.

"Are you kidding? Not as much as I love you. I mean Recipe of Hate is groundbreaking and it definitely deserves all the praises it's getting," She said, sending me a kind smile—one that made my knees weak.

"You have no idea what that means to me. I've always looked up to you and your music. Just seeing you here is enough to make me believe I'm dreaming,"

"Alright, I should get back. Good to see you and lovely to meet you," She said looking between Amala and me, respectively before walking off.

"You know Ariana Grande?" I asked Amala who only shrugged. "We're featured on each other's songs. She's pretty fucking amazing and her house is so warm and welcoming,"

"You've been to her house?"

"Yeah, like seven times," She mumbled and I only shook my head, playfully. Before we knew it, the reception began and Solána made it back to her seat just in time. Keke Palmer walked onto stage earning a standing ovation from all the celebrities around us. I looked to my left, spotting the cameras rolling and I knew the Grammys were now live.

"Welcome to the 64th Annual Grammy Awards. I'm your host Keke Palmer and boy, I just can't wait to get this night started. Tonight is all about the celebration of music, and awarding those who have worked their assess off to get where they are today," She said, smiling at the audience. Soon, the lights began to dim and

"And now ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to introduce our first performance of the night... Justin Bieber and The Kid LAROI!" The soundtrack of Stay blasted through the speakers and our attention was guided to The Kid LAROI who was sitting on a fake building built on the stage.

"I do the same thing, I told you that I never would. I told you I changed, even when I knew I never could. I know that I can't find nobody else as good as you I need you to stay, need you to stay, hey,"

"I get drunk, wake up, I'm wasted still. I realize the time that I wasted here. I feel like you can't feel the way I feel. I'll be fucked up if you can't be right here,"

He stood up and walked down the stairwell on the side of the building, making his way to the main stage. "Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa) Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa) Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa) I'll be fucked up if you can't be right here,"

"I do the same thing, I told you that I never would. I told you I changed, even when I knew I never could. I know that I can't find nobody else as good as you. I need you to stay, need you to stay, hey,"

Suddenly, the lights turned red as Justin Bieber entered from the back, and instantly the crowd cheered. "When I'm away from you, I miss your touch (ooh-ooh) You're the reason I believe in love. It's been difficult for me to trust (ooh-ooh) And I'm afraid that I'ma fuck it up. Ain't no way that I can leave you stranded. 'Cause you ain't never left me empty-handed. And you know that I know that I can't live without you,"

"Do you think he's singing about Selena Gomez?" Solána whispered, furrowing her eyebrows together.

"Hopefully not. His wife is right there," I said, gesturing towards Hailey who danced to his song, smiling as she watched him.

"So, baby, stay. Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa). Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa). Oh-whoa (oh-whoa, whoa)
I'll be fucked up if you can't be right here,"

"I do the same thing, I told you that I never would
I told you I changed, even when I knew I never could
I know that I can't find nobody else as good as you
I need you to stay, need you to stay, yeah,"

And with that, the lights cut off, and the first performance was done. The city girls walked onto the stage wearing beautiful matching silver dresses and matching smiles. They were honestly both so gorgeous and I was amazed by their beauty.

"For the first award, we'll be presenting Best Rap Performance. The nominees are..," JT announced, as the room soon quieted down and the large screens began to show the nominations.

"GOD DID
DJ Khaled Featuring Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, John Legend & Fridayy

Vegas
Doja Cat

pushin P
Gunna & Future Featuring Young Thug

F.N.F. (Let's Go)
Hitkidd & GloRilla

The Heart Part 5
Kendrick Lamar,"

"And the winner is," Caressha said, opening the large envelope as we waited in anticipation. I grabbed Amala's hand, seeing that she was nervous as fuck.

"Doja Cat!"

The camera viewed her, while she placed her hand on her mouth. Solána and I both stood up, pulling her for a hug and whispering how proud we were of her. Wiping her tears off, we gesture for her to walk to the stage before she throws her vape to the ground.

"I just want to say thank you to all the fans that made this possible as well as my team—I'm literally about to fucking cry, hold on," She said, turning away and fanning her eyes. Smiling to myself, I continue to watch her with nothing but pride. For the next few minutes, she continued saying her speech before walking backstage.

Soon Alicia Keys walked out. "Tonight officially marks 6 months since the second Black Panther movie came out. Now, I don't know about you but I specifically remember the shared joy the black community held after the first Black Panther movie was released. Chadwick Boseman played a large part in providing that joy and the Grammy's would like to honor Chadwick Boseman and the legacy he left for the world. Introducing Rihanna with her performance "Lift me up'"

The audience began to clap as the lights turned completely off, and a few seconds of silence passed. Suddenly, the large screens showed Chadwick Boseman while a spotlight shined on Rihanna in front.

"Lift me up, hold me down. Keep me close, safe and sound," She said, and my eyes widened at the beautiful yellow dress she was wearing.

"Burning in a hopeless dream. Hold me when you go to sleep, keep me in the warmth of your love when you depart. Keep me safe, safe, and sound. Lift me up, hold me down. Keep me close, safe and sound,"

"Drowning in an endless sea. Take some time and stay with me. Keep me in the strength of your arms. Keep me safe, safe, and sound. Lift (lift) me up, hold me down. Keep me safe, safe and sound,"

"Damn," Solána whispered next to me, using a tissue to wipe her tears and before I knew it, I felt like I was about to cry.

"Burning in a hopeless dream. Hold me when you go to sleep, Keep me safe. We need light, we need love

"Lift me up in your arms. I need love, I need love, I need love. (Keep) hold me (me close) hold me
(Safe) hold me, hold me (and sound) hold me, hold me
(Lift) hold me, hold me (me up) hold me, hold me
(Hold) hold me (me down) hold me. (Keep me safe)"

The screen showed a black-and-white picture of Chadwick as the music slowly died down.

"We need light, we need love," Rihanna finished, as the words 'Dedicated to our friend Chadwick Boseman' appeared.

The room erupted in cheers and I found myself, my eyes growing blurry. "That was so beautiful," I heard someone utter from behind me and I could only agree.

"Chadwick was so kind," Solána whispered, placing her hand over her chest. "I met him when I worked with Kendrick for the soundtrack of the first movie. Chad was very kind and humble, I never knew he was fighting cancer all along,"

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, pulling her for a hug and she only thanked me. Soon, Mariah Carey walked through the doors holding another white envelope, and I knew it was time for another Grammy.

"This past year we've had so many new talented artists producing influential music but we can only award one. The nominees for Best New Artist are...,"

I felt my heart drop in my stomach, this was one of the categories I was nominated for. My hands began to sweat, this was it. This was the moment I had been waiting for, it had finally caught up with me.

"Baby Keem"

"Samara Joy"

"Selina Maxwell,"

I smiled nervously at the camera, seeing my name show up on the screen.

"And Glorilla... The winner is—," She opened the envelope, soon nodding to herself in satisfaction. Taking a breath, I close my eyes and begin to pray to whoever may be listening. Wining a Grammy was far fetched and I was completely out of my mind but I guess, it would be nice to win.

"Please," I whispered, tapping my foot on the ground because of my anxiety. The room grew quiet, and even a pin drop could be heard.

"Selina Maxwell!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 5.2K 20
HIS Book Series #4: Don't have to read books in order!! :) Victoria is a 27 year old curvy girl who is more of a homebody than her best friend and ro...
144K 3.2K 26
A chance encounter 10 years previous has come back into Mia's life but he's not just anyone, he is the Tsar of Russian Mafia. Mia is a good girl. A g...
187K 1.6K 55
"Pick up the vibrator." I picked it up, placing it against my opening. "Good girl." I moan at his words, biting down my bottom lip. "Now. Slowly push...
776K 20.1K 47
"Watch it." "Watch it," I mock him in a whisper, feeling brave. Suddenly, he gets up from his stool and stalks towards me. His large frame towering o...