Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

On Christmas Eve

82 6 0
By KageNishi

December 24

Barcelona, Republic of Catalonia

The next day, Barcelona was celebrating Christmas Eve. Even though it was still early evening, stores were closing early and people were going to church for worship and mass. Therefore, there were no people in town. In the middle of the city, where signs of people were disappearing, there was a young man and a girl.

"Good evening, Octavia."

"Satoru, you really came."

The location was a main street in the Les Corts District, close to Camp Nou where the two met, their breaths turning white and reflecting the coldness of the surroundings. After a few moments of silence, Maebayashi spoke with a troubled smile.

"You called me here because you have something to do with me, don't you? It's easy enough to read your mind, but I'd like you to tell me yourself if you could."

Maebayashi had noticed that Octavia had something on her mind. Of course, it would be easy to read them, but he felt that if possible, she should speak of her own volition.

Satoru Maebayashi had been raised in a family of the mind-reading Satori yōkai and was looked at strangely by those around him. Because of this, he was ostracized more than once. Even now, his colleagues at the Public Prosecutor's Office look at him with a somewhat distant look. Because of this experience, he has discovered a certain value: "A person's intention is meaningful only when they say it out loud." For beings like him, it is easy to read opinions that people seem reluctant to express. However, Maebayashi believed that the courage to say out loud what is difficult to say is what is meaningful.

"Um... well..." Octavia stammered.

Maebayashi gave a small sigh with a troubled smile.

"Is it difficult to talk here?"

"........."

Octavia nodded. Maebayashi murmured, "I see," and put his hand on her back, ushering her to walk out of here. Octavia's eyes widened for a moment, but she didn't resist him.

"........."

The two walked in silence through the Les Corts District, lined with restaurants that had closed their doors. Maebayashi stopped in front of a high-end restaurant in one of these areas, which was frequented only by the city's wealthy. A "CLOSED" sign was hung at the entrance, and there was no staff in sight.

"Umm, what is this place...?"

"I asked for a private dinner tonight, and the food was prepared earlier in the evening. There is no waiter here, so the food is all self-service," Maebayashi said and opened the door of the restaurant.

At the far end of the empty room, where silence reigns, there is a table with a dim light and a lit candle. The surrounding area is decorated with expensive furnishings and ornaments to please the eyes of visitors, and silver knives and forks are laid out on the table. It was an isolated world for Octavia, who lived in a poor neighborhood.

Maebayashi sat on one of a pair of chairs. He ushered Octavia, who was standing there dumbfounded, to sit in the chair across from him. She sat down, puzzled.

"I heard that Christmas Eve is a special day for Catholics to spend with their families, eat a feast at home, and celebrate the birth of Christ. I felt bad for you that you didn't make any preparations for it."

There is a gap between the perception of Christmas in Japan and what Christians actually do. Maebayashi understood this and decided to prepare something to replace the precious time she had sacrificed to spend with her family.

"...To me, Christmas Eve is just December twenty-fourth. I don't have any fond memories of it."

But for Octavia, who had grown up in a troubled home, Christmas was nothing special, just another hard day.

"...Then, let's eat. Don't be shy, this is something I like to do."

Maebayashi understood what she was going through. Then he picked up his knife and fork and began to eat. There was an appetizer on the table and the same plate in front of Octavia as the one Maebayashi had started eating.

"...Let's see..."

She looked at the several knives and forks on either side of the plate and wondered which one to use first. Maebayashi noticed this and taught her to use them from the outside. She took the knife and fork in an unfamiliar manner and tried to eat as elegantly as she could.

"...!"

She brought the appetizer of marinated seafood and vegetables to her mouth. At that moment, Octavia's face broke into a smile. Then, her elegant manner peeled off, and she took the second and third mouthfuls one after the other.

"Heh, if you eat so hurriedly, you'll choke."

"...!!"

Maebayashi was smiling at the girl who was absorbed in the food served in front of her without any manners. When he called out to her, Octavia came to her senses and blushed. Then, when Maebayashi confirmed that she has finished her appetizer, he got up from his chair and lowered his and Octavia's plates. He then placed a bowl of sopa de ajo on a long table nearby in front of her.

"Uh, Satoru, so..."

"...Hm?"

Octavia sat down in the chair again, picked up the spoon, and spoke to Maebayashi with trepidation. She stepped into the main subject that had called Maebayashi to her. Maebayashi did not read her mind, but waited for her to speak on her own.

"...Can you buy spring with money!?"

"...Pfft-GAH!? Why did you say that?"

Shocked by the unexpected words she uttered, Maebayashi couldn't help but spit his soup. While he wiped his mouth with a napkin, Octavia continued.

"Aren't all Japanese people filthy rich?"

"No, that's not—"

The image of Japan as wealthy that is prevalent in this era simply means that there is a disparity in economic power between countries, not that they are all rich on an individual level. Maebayashi quickly denied her words. Octavia continued her explanation with her face downcast.

"I thought I could help my sister if I could uncover the embassy's wrongdoings. But my sister is carrying something that could not be put away by such simple logic."

"........."

When she told her sister that she would escape with her, Octavia realized how shallow she was. She realized for the first time that eliminating the embassy would not solve the root of the problem.

"My sister is making money for my sake... by defiling her body and putting up with it. But I thought that if only the embassy was eliminated, everything would be resolved and she would be happy. But... it wasn't that simple. I was not ready. I want to expose the embassy's evil and escape with my sister. That thought hasn't changed, okay? But I didn't think about what came after."

Her family depended on the income her sister Agustina brought home from the embassy. Without it, of course, she would not be able to make ends meet, and the loss of drug and alcohol money could make her stepfather's violence even worse. She therefore suggested that her sister run away, but that was just a short-sighted suggestion that did not consider the future.

"My sister said she doesn't want to put me through any more hardship. But I don't want to see my sister suffer anymore either. But in order to do that, I have to bear the hardship too. Even if I have to do the same thing as my sister."

"...!!"

Octavia looked up and stared into Maebayashi's eyes. He had refrained from reading her mind, and Maebayashi finally realized why she had called him here.

"So... that's why—"

"........."

Just as Octavia was about to say that much, Maebayashi put his index finger to his lips in a gesture of silence. Then, as if to interrupt what she was about to say, he opened his mouth with a troubled smile.

"...Sorry, but I'm not the kind of man you expect me to be. You'll have to ask someone with a more 'clean heart' to do that kind of thing."

"...Huh?"

Octavia looked puzzled.

"I'm done talking. This meal is going to get cold."

Maebayashi urged her to proceed with the meal and said nothing more. Octavia could not say anything either, and the only sound she could hear was the scraping of the knife and fork.

"...You're very kind, Satoru," Octavia muttered to herself.

And so the night of Christmas Eve passed between the Japanese yōkai and the Catalan girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 26

Barcelona-El Prat Airport, Republic of Catalonia

Thirteen Japanese people disembarked at Barcelona-El Prat Airport via Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. Dressed in expensive-looking suits and carrying large luggage, the group of Orientals attracted the eyes of those around them.

"So this is Catalonia and Barcelona..."

Chief Inspector Raigo Nakamine, who was leading the group, muttered to himself as he looked around. They were a group from the International Crime Prevention and Control Division of the National Police Agency's Security Bureau, who had been dispatched to the region at the request of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The International Crime Prevention and Control Division of the NPA's Security Bureau is a paramilitary task force organized for the safety of Japanese nationals operating overseas. In the past century, it was basically impossible to conduct police activities in the territory of another country without the approval of that country, since such activities violated the sovereignty of that country. However, in this era, the majority of countries have entrusted the security forces of the International Federation to maintain domestic security, and it is stipulated that any country that provides troops to the security forces has the authority to carry out security activities in the territory of the relevant country. Therefore, the Japanese police force has the authority to conduct investigations in the Republic of Catalonia without the need for authorization or permission from the country.

"Come on..."

The strong men left the airport and headed for Barcelona, carrying their large luggage, including the firearms and other equipment they had brought with them from Japan. Unbeknownst to the Catalan government, a capture plot was about to begin to cover up Japan's disgrace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212K 4K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...
2.5K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
564K 38.8K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
1.7M 112K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...