Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

World Expo Closing Ceremony

132 6 0
By KageNishi

May 21, 2101

Neo Bayside Waterfront District, Koto Ward, Tokyo

About five months after the start of the 22nd century, the ceremony celebrating the opening of the new century was finally coming to an end. Half a year after the Tokyo Expo'100 was held, the closing ceremony had finally arrived.

In the Expo Memorial Stadium, on the same stage as the opening ceremony, the audience consisted of many ordinary spectators and VIPs from all walks of life. The original plan was for the Prince, the younger brother of the current Emperor, to attend the event, but due to the incident at the opening ceremony, he was not able to attend the site.

Krieeeee... Boom! Bo-Boom!

Looking up at the night sky, they saw fireworks going off around the Expo site. At last, the banquet to announce the closing of the Expo had begun.

On the stadium grounds, the Army Band plays Dvořák's "From the New World". The Governor of Tokyo, Seiichi Ishikawa, appeared on the stage placed in the center of the pitch. A giant screen in the stadium then lit up, showing the image of the Emperor's younger brother. The image was broadcasted live from the palace where he resides. At that moment, the audience burst into applause.

"Please be seated, ladies and gentlemen..."

The music ended, and at the same time, an announcement urged the audience to take their seats. Immediately after, the stadium was enveloped in silence.

"The Governor of Tokyo, Seiichi Ishikawa, will give his closing remarks."

Ishikawa stepped to the front of the stage as his name was called. Standing in front of the microphone stand, he slowly opened his mouth.

"The closing ceremony of the World Expo 2100 in Tokyo will now begin."

The closing address was delivered. Immediately after, the spotlights that had illuminated the stadium turned to the night sky. As soon as the lights intersected at a point in the sky, sparkling light dust fell from the place where the lights met.

"Naotaro Kobayashi, Chairman of the Expo Association, will present the following remarks."

Governor Ishikawa stepped back and was replaced by Naotaro Kobayashi, Chairman of the Expo Association, who stood before the microphone. Kobayashi took out a card from his breast pocket and inhaled deeply.

"It is with great joy that I am honored to have His Highness joining us today for the closing ceremony of the Tokyo World Expo. The road to the present day has not been smooth sailing, with the horrific terrorist attack on the opening ceremony six months ago and the revelation of the fraudulent activities of Jyoen Koroki, who was named Vice President of the Association. We terribly apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Despite these difficulties, the Expo was able to come to a close thanks to the efforts of all those who were involved in this year's Expo. The number of visitors to the Expo to date is 43 million, far exceeding our initial goal of 20 million. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of you."

The terrorist attack, which took place in the world's only country with complete rule of law, shocked leaders not only in Japan but also around the world. The Japanese government doubled its security budget and made a thorough effort to prevent a recurrence. This appeal was successful, and the decline in the number of visitors was halted.

"The theme of this year's Expo was 'Dawn of a New Century,' a bridge from the chaotic 21st century to the new, 22nd century, featuring exhibitions of the latest technologies that will brighten the future of the Earth, as well as traditions and cultures to be handed down to future generations. It is our sincere hope that these exhibitions will serve as a bridge of hope for the future.

We hope that the 22nd century will be an era of happiness for mankind. This Expo was organized with the cooperation of 34 countries and regions around the world. We can join hands. I believe that with our hands we can make the 22nd century an era of happiness. With these words, I would like to conclude my speech. Thank you very much."

Kobayashi put the paper away in his pocket and bowed deeply. Applause erupted from the audience. Next, Prime Minister Yuuma Hashida made his way to the stage. After the prime minister finished his speech, the closing ceremony proceeded to the next agenda.

"We will proceed to the handing over of the BIE flag. Please pay attention to the flag at the top of the stadium."

The announcement signaled the beginning of the musical band's movement again. Mendelssohn's "Spring Song" is played, and as it plays, the BIE flag, fluttering on the pole of the hoist stand, is slowly lowered. It is carefully folded and carried to the stage in the center of the stadium by members of the Imperial Guard in their uniforms. At the same time, President Naotaro Kobayashi, James Schulle, Chairman of Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), and John Gladstone, mayor of Perth, Australia, were standing on the center stage.

"The next Expo to follow the Tokyo Expo will be held in Perth, Australia, in 2105, five years from now. And now, the BIE flag entrusted to the Tokyo Expo Association will be returned by Mister Naotaro Kobayashi, President of the Expo Association, to Mister James Schulle, Chairman of the Bureau International des Expositions."

Standing on the dais, the Guardsman handed the BIE flag to Kobayashi. Kobayashi then returned the flag to James.

"And from Mister James Schulle, the flag will be passed to the next host city, Perth, represented by Mayor John Gladstone. The theme of the Perth Expo is 'Steps Toward Peace.'"

James passed the BIE flag to John, who proudly held up the folded flag. John then entrusted the flag to a Guardsman standing nearby. After the handover ceremony, the closing ceremony was nearing its climax. The orchestra started to play again. From a quiet introduction like the morning glow, a powerful melody echoed through the stadium, announcing the beginning of a new story.

"The Tokyo World Expo will be etched in the history of mankind as the last event of the 21st century and the first of the 22nd century, the greatest celebration of mankind. I would like to look back on that historic six months with Mendelssohn's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream, Overture.'"

Felix Mendelssohn was a 19th-century German composer. His Overture in E major, Op.21, composed in 1826, suggested the very beginning of the overture to the era of the 22nd century.

Images and events taken during the Tokyo Expo were compiled into a holographic image and projected onto the space inside the stadium. Starting with the rearranged opening ceremony, the Japan Pavilion, for which the waiting time exceeded six hours every day, the various events held throughout the venue during the Expo, the countdown to the 22nd century, and the visit of the Emperor and Empress of Japan... those series of events passed through the audience as a three-dimensional digest video.

After all the images were over, the stage in the center of the stadium was turned into a brightly lit stage, and the image characters who promoted the Expo were standing on it. They waved to the audience, waiting for the curtain to close.

Finally, the closing ceremony was approaching its final program.

"His Highness the Prince will give his words."

As soon as the announcement was made, all eyes turned to the Prince, who was being projected on a giant screen. The Prince looked at the audience through the screen, smiled, and began to speak.

"I hereby express my gratitude to all those involved in this Expo, and with the hope that this Expo will remain in the memory of mankind for many years to come, I hereby declare the closing of the Tokyo World EXPO'100!"

A moment later, the audience broke into thunderous applause. And with His Highness' declaration of the closing of the Expo, confetti flew from all parts of the stadium, and a large number of fireworks were once again launched from all parts of the Expo site.

Thus, the greatest celebration of the arrival of the 22nd century, Tokyo World EXPO'100, came to an end, though it was missed by many.

. . .

Investigation Division 4 Section 7 Office, Metropolitan Police Department, Sakurada Gate, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo

Meanwhile, officers on duty were watching a live TV broadcast in the office of Tokyo MPD's Investigation Division 4 Section 7.

"So, the Expo is over," Nijo, one of the officers present, murmured regretfully.

On this particular day, there were two other officers on duty besides Nijo, Rokutani, and Juen.

"To be honest, I don't have any good memories during the Expo," Juen chuckled. He was reminiscing about the events of the past six months.

Starting with the Tokyo Expo, which opened at about the same time he was transferred here, and the Tokyo Expo terrorist attack on the opening ceremony, there were murders of Jyoen Koroki and Danji Furuya caused by the self-preservation of corrupt politicians and discrimination toward demi-humans, and then the Shinjuku serial blood loss incident by a vampire who had infiltrated human society, all of them are major events that shook the nation. There were several smaller incidents in between, but these two in particular were deeply etched in Juen's memory. In the first case, the perpetrator was missing, and in the second case, the entire thing was hidden from the public.

"But... I realized firsthand how much this Investigation Division 4 contributes to the peace of Tokyo. In a city where many races roam around, it is a bastion that protects the balance between humans and demi-humans... I am truly indebted to all of you for your support over the past six months."

"Section Chief..." Rokutani muttered.

The current section chief, Juen, came here as a semi-career officer, and his term of office was set at approximately six months. However, it was eventually extended by one month, and he will be appointed as an assistant section chief of the police station under his jurisdiction as of the end of next week. Therefore, he will not be able to work with the members of Investigation Division 4 Section 7 until next week.

Silence fell between the three of them. At that moment, an urgent call suddenly echoed throughout the police station.

"Emergency! A robbery has occurred at a convenience store in Adachi Ward Takenotsuka 2nd Block! Perpetrator took the cash register and is fleeing! One clerk is dead! The body exploded and scattered, and we suspected demi-human involvement! Investigation Divisions 1 and 4, mobilize immediately!"

"!!"

Just as the closing ceremony of the Expo is over, a new incident occurred. Juen and the others ran out of the office, holding the jackets that were hanging on the chairs.

As long as there is malice in this world, police work will never cease. To maintain the balance between humans and demi-humans, and to protect the peace of Japan, Investigation Division 4's struggle continues.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 207 181
Author: Sing-Shong, 싱숑 Alternative names: TWATF, 멸망 이후의 세계 Genre: Fantasy, Action, Drama, Adventure, Mystery Source: Unknown ... [ THE WORLD AFTER TH...
188K 11K 139
After falling to my death due to poor maintenance on a viewing platform over a ravine, I find myself having an audience with God. In return for my un...
85.5K 3.9K 71
"Just because we win the war doesn't mean we don't lose everything in the process." - Joey Magnom --------- Practically everyone dreams of having sup...