Literature of Love

By Altairythosia

Amidst the incorrigible melancholy in darkness, will there be a freeway for someone to escape the sad reality... More

♡Altairythosia's Concern
(1) Tussled Against Memories
(2) The Moonlight's Kiss
(3) Home of Literature
(4) Intimate Sanctuary
(5) Imagery of Love
(7) Place to Start
(8) Tangled Attachment
(9) Scraped by Words
(10) Idea of a Perfect Date
(11) Breath of Air
(12) Found You
(13) Flick of Dusk
(14) Warmth Sensation
(15) Confrontation and Confession
(16) Prose
(17) Differences, Glitters and Fire
(18) Silencing the Waves

(6) Quotidian Taste

33 3 0
By Altairythosia

Quotidian
– of or occurring every day; daily.
– ordinary or every day, especially when mundane

It's Saturday afternoon and going to the office is such a big challenge for me. A flashback of what happened yesterday keeps on coming to me all over again. I don't know if I will be able to pull it off and act like nothing happened, but one can try, right?

And that 'one' is me. I'm currently walking toward my desk and I can feel multiple sets of eyes that were all over me. Though most of them were busy doing their job. I tried to keep a stoic expression until I arrived at my desk. But not long enough, a couple of people hover over my space.

"Where's Carl?" Mariette, the one with big eyeglasses asked without preamble. A Latina.

I groaned, I can't with her. During my first day working at this company, she was the very first one who approached me with such gleefulness. I thought she was just pretending to be nice since I'm new, but she hasn't changed that much ever since.

Lisa chuckles and tapped my shoulder, she was the only American among the three. A very straightforward woman who will say what she wants to say. She was somewhat a loner the first time I got here, but she's a good person I must say. Just nosy. "Did he follow you when you walked out?"

"I saw him with another woman last night," Martin whispered. Tried to actually. He got such voice that doesn't know how to whisper. It put us in trouble many times, every time. He is black and gay, and I love that about him even though at first glance, you can never tell that he's friendly with his cold demeanor.

These 3 are the main source of gossip inside the office, though they're also the ones that I'm kinda close with. They keep on getting in touch with me, asking me to go out with them, including me on their seats– specifically to their plans whenever they want to go out or something.

"Calm down okay? I don't know where he's at. He didn't follow me when I walked out. And I don't care about what you saw so let's get to work, okay?" I answered and I gestured them to shoo away.

Lisa rolled her eyes and instead of going away, she leaned toward my desk. "Someone saw you last night."

"Oh my! Stop it, Lisa."

Mariette poke her nose into the conversation, "We heard from our source that it's Carter."

Hearing Carter's name, my heart skipped a beat. Wait. Did they know him? How?

He never replied after the message I sent to him last night. I don't know about his whereabouts, but what we had last night is something that I would treasure forever and it's okay to never see him again.

My eyes go to Martin, pleading for help but he just shrugged and sipped his coffee. This traitor also wants to learn about what happened without saying anything.

I tilt my head to face Mariette, "You knew Carter?"

"He is a Director. He directed Cast Away, the movie we watched last Sunday!"

"A what?" I muttered in case I didn't hear it correctly.

"Director, Elly. He directed most of the popular movies in today's time. But since you're not really into movies, I clearly understand why you don't know him." Martin answered.

When the sound of an open elevator ping, Lisa suddenly behaves herself and secretly pointed at the elevator. The three of us— me, Mariette, and Martin look at where she pointed. We saw Carl enter with some supermodel-like woman beside him.

He smugly looks at me when he saw that we were staring. I gave him a professional smile and nod as an acknowledgment and it seems like it pissed him off 'cause he went to our side with a grim expression.

"You guys should start working, stop gossiping. It won't make you money." Are his words before he left us with his girlfriend– maybe– who, by the way, threw me an annoyed look like I did something at her.

"Wow!" Martin exclaimed which made some of our coworkers glance our way, "Did you see that girl's face? Unbelievable!"

Mariette whispered to my ear, "Good thing you didn't say yes to him, he's now slowly showing his devil horns."

"Asshole," Lisa commented before they all walked away from my desk.

I shook my head as I set up my computer. It happens every time, the three of them really need to look at the time before gossiping.

Letting out a breath, I readied myself as I need to review and edit some manuscript right now because Miss Xaniex will be needing it as soon as possible. I was given two weeks to read the story and a maximum of 7 weeks to finish the edit.

Reading my client's works is like being in another place as well, another dimension where I exist as the main character. When editing, I put myself in the situation of each character. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like I discover and have a new persona after reading the works and editing them. The reason why I choose this job aside from being able to read such outstanding stories is that I can help them achieve their dreams by correcting the grammar and structures that are important in literature.

It took me an hour to finish a chapter. I need to re-read it all over again to check for some errors which take up so much of my time. When I checked my phone for the time, I saw that Carter had finally responded to my message.

@jnsin: How's your day?

I sent a reply before I went to work. That's what I did throughout the whole afternoon– read, edit, read, edit, read, edit. Until my break time arrives.

I slumped on my seat as I stretched my arm, sitting all day hurts my butt and it makes my body tired. A little stretch would do to lessen the stress my body is feeling.

A deep sigh left my breath as I gazed away from my computer. It hurts my eye, maybe I should buy some glasses to protect it from the computer.

"We have 30 mins break. Tell us about Carter."

Hearing Mariette's voice, I immediately get back to the papers in front of me, clearly ignoring her.

"Oh come on." Lisa is already in front of me. "Tell us, Elly. Was he good?" She also wiggled her eyebrows, implying that something happened and I need to share it.

Her bluntness made my jaw drop and I can't seem to stop myself from raising my voice, "Excuse me?!"

They all look at me like I'm crazy and sometimes I forgot that I'm in the US and not in the Philippines anymore. That kind of thing is normal, hookups, booty calls, ons, name it.

"You are ridiculous," Martin commented before they get back to their desks.

I silently thank God that they leave. I enjoy talking to them during our break time, but that is if I'm not the one who's in the hot seat. Though now that they're setting their eyes on me, I just hope that I'll get out of this building alive.

Going back to my business, I did what I have to do during work hours. I slacked these past few days so I need to do more today. Some of my coworkers are now going off their duty and I'm left with, of course, the three of them.

"We have time. Let's go to Cicatrix." Lisa invited me while I am fixing my things.

Looking at the three of them, I know that there's no way out of this conversation. But I tried my best to excuse myself.

"I'm really tired, guys. Maybe tomorrow?" Exhaustion is evident in my voice and I know that they could tell that.

Their expression changes from eagerness to worry.

"Fine fine. Tomorrow. We are going to your apartment. Deal?" Martin simply agreed, but with a condition.

I'll take that.

I nodded my head, "Whatever. I'm really tired today. I'm sorry."

Lisa and Mariette hugged me before they bid their goodbyes. We part ways after that.

It didn't take long enough for me to arrive at my apartment. I immediately went to the couch and relax, trying to find a piece of good music that would relate to my mood.

Today's no different, it's like the other days– a normal one although I worried it wouldn't turn into one, I'm glad it did.

Ice cream would do right now, maybe I need to order one for myself.

After resting for like 30 minutes, I took a shower to freshen up and decided to order online for ice cream and a burger. While waiting for my food to arrive, I open the window of my apartment that could see the beauty of the place outside.

I really enjoy watching the city lights during nighttime. They're like a bunch of stars that are within reach, very soothing. As if no one and nothing in this world could break its peace. But then again, just like anyone and anything, everything has its breakpoint. And that's the scariest part of living a life, you could become soulless any moment.

When my food already arrived, I promptly settled myself on the couch. Opening the TV to watch some Netflix shows.

And right before the show ends, I received a message from Carter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
2.4M 138K 46
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
2.9M 54.4K 17
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...