Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Japanese Empire's Chaos

297 6 2
By KageNishi

November 2

Prime Minister's Office, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo

The day after the government announcement and two days after the incident occurred, several cabinet members gathered in the Prime Minister's Office, where the press conference was held.

"Good grief... there is no way the Expo can be canceled now when the opening ceremony had already taken place."

Prime Minister Yuuma Hashida groaned as he thought back to his speech to the Diet in the morning. He had been repeatedly interrogated by the opposition about whether it was right or wrong to allow the Expo to resume without adequate measures to prevent a recurrence, and he was getting tired of it.

"Indeed. How much money do you think has been spent on the last Expo of the 21st century? If we can't hold the Expo, we will be taking a big loss."

Megumi Namba, Minister of State for the World Expo, continued.

"However, this is still a great loss of face to our country. The 'Japanese Empire' is the only country in the world that maintains a system of complete rule of law. Therefore, the people of Japan are aware that this is the only country in the world that is safe. But when a terrorist attack occurred during the Expo's opening ceremony, for which a strict security system was in place..."

"The sense of anxiety about security and safety is sure to grow. And that distrust will lead to distrust of the government."

Following Namba, Asaharu Hasegawa, Chairman of the National Public Safety Commission, gave his remarks. As he said, the Japanese people were increasingly distrustful of the government for its failure to prevent the attack.

"...As for the group calling itself the Korean People's Revolutionary Army, when it so brazenly and openly demanded disclosure of our nation's secret technology, it smells very fishy, doesn't it?" Minister of Foreign Affairs Mine Matsujiro spoke while resting his chin on his cane.

The nuclear fusion technology and space development technology demanded to be disclosed were used in the flying battleship Fusō, a relic from the far future brought back from the other world of Terralus 60 years ago, which was analyzed and duplicated by a Japanese research institute and used as their own.

Naturally, these technologies were coveted by other countries, and intelligence officers from embassies in other countries were eager to seize the information. When terrorists demanded such information, one could not help but speculate on the involvement of some state power.

"Well... more on that later. Namba-san... what about the reopening of the Expo?"

PM Hashida asked Namba who was in charge of the Expo while avoiding direct reference to a certain country.

"The restoration work has already begun on the areas damaged by the explosion. It will probably take two to three weeks before the Expo opens, including the final checks," Namba answered.

While the police are conducting their investigation, the Japanese government is steadily making preparations for the reopening of the Expo. The ruling party, however, was engaged in a heated war of words with the opposition, which was not satisfied with that conclusion.

. . .

Tokyo Police Hospital, Nakano Ward, Tokyo

The Public Security Bureau, which is jointly investigating the Expo Terrorism Case with the Criminal Investigation Bureau, was looking into the route by which the terrorist organization gained entry into Japan. On the same day, three officers belonging to the Public Security Bureau's Foreign Affairs Division 2, including Jyozo Sena, who was Juen's classmate, visited the Tokyo Police Hospital, where members of the terrorist organization who were taken into custody were being held.

"........."

Walking silently down the corridor, the three public security police officers stood in front of the door of a certain hospital room. Two police officers stood on either side of that door and saluted the officers as they appeared. Returning the salute, they then placed their hands on the door handles of the hospital room where the terrorist leader is housed.

"We are the Foreign Affairs Division of the Metropolitan Police Department's Public Security Bureau. Kwon Jung-soo, leading member of the international terrorist organization, the Korean People's Revolutionary Army. We're here to question you."

The officers looked ahead and saw Kwon Jung-soo, the ringleader of the Expo attack, lying on a hospital bed. Sena, who works as a section chief in Foreign Affairs Division 2 Section 5, looked down at Jung-soo with a sharp gaze while he is being treated. A small translator attached to his left arm translated his Japanese into Korean.

"........."

Jung-soo took one look at the faces of Sena's group and turned away with a short snort. Sena and the others frowned in derision at his rudeness for a moment.

"First of all... what did you come to this country for?" Sena asked Jung-soo, who continued to look out the window. The translator, which at first glance looked like a wristwatch, translated his question into the Korean language.

"...I told you right then and there. We're here to demand the Japanese government the technology they're hiding."

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious? It's for the prosperity of my country," Jung-soo answered firmly. They came to this country to seek what the relic of the 28th century had brought with them.

Their home country, the Republic of Korea, was created in 2027 through the merger of the North and South Koreas, which had been divided since the Korean War. Although the unification was nominally led by the ROK (South Korea), it was the resource development projects in the former North Korean territory that saved the Korean Peninsula from the devastation caused by the East Asia War. Therefore, a faction of people from former North Korea, known as the "Northern Clique," is said to be powerful within the unified government. Furthermore, Korean territory's standard of living has fallen dramatically due to the scars of the East Asia War and the collapse of the world economy, and the majority of the population, except for residents of major cities, are forced to live in poverty and on harsh living conditions on desolate farmland.

"Japan is now arrogantly pretending to be a world leader, but if only we could obtain the technology you are hiding, our country could surpass Japan in the blink of an eye. Japan is not worthy of their current power, and the technology of nuclear fusion and graviton is only available to our people—"

"Alright, alright... that's enough. Now, my next question... how did you get into this country?"

Sena interrupted Jung-soo's monologue and asked him the most important question of all. The police were most concerned about how he got into this country, which had a strong sea defense system to maintain a semi-enclosed country.

"...We came across the sea. That's all."

"........."

After saying that much, Jung-soo shut his mouth. After that, he ignored all their inquiries and continued to stare out the window. Sena realized that there was nothing more they could glean, so he left the hospital room with his men in tow.

. . .

Ikebukuro, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo

Tokyo, the capital of the Japanese Empire, the only country in the world with complete rule of law, is a city of glittering skyscrapers where people come and go, and where Japan at the end of the 21st century is enjoying a prosperity that can be truly be called the pinnacle of civilization. Cities across the country, centered on Tokyo, are connected by linear motor cars that have replaced the Shinkansen bullet trains, and the Tokyo Space Port, the only spaceport on Earth, is being built as a megafloat off Suruga Bay.

In addition, the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces, which was formed as a result of the developmental dissolution of the Self-Defense Forces, has become a very strong military force, with its forces greatly strengthened following the dissolution of the alliance with the United States and the promotion of unmanned forces due to the decrease in population. Self-sufficiency in national defense, along with the establishment of a food self-sufficiency system through automation, are the two pillars of maintaining the country's semi-closed system.

The Japanese people live in the only peaceful country in the world, free from conflict and hunger. Because of the indirect information control, ideological education, and complete control of the internet, the people are unaware of the overwhelming disparity that exist between Japan and the rest of the world.

And there was something else that was definitely different about this country from the rest of the world.

"...Ahaha, this is it~"

"Wooohoooah!? I can't believe it!"

Young men and women pass by on the streets of Ikebukuro at night, dazzled by the brightly colored decorative signs. Among them, a pair of schoolgirls is seen with a pair of animal ears sticking out of their heads. They are not ornaments such as cat-ears or cosplay costumes. They are a genuine part of their body. A closer look around revealed that they were not the only ones with additional body features. There are demi-humans and those who are descended from them in Japan. They are strange to foreigners' eyes, but they exist in the society of this country as if they were a natural part of it.

"Look at them."

"They are not decorations... what the heck is going on in this country?"

Two foreign tourists exploring Ikebukuro were whispering to each other about a group of high school girls they happened to see on the street. The girls, who are cat and rabbit demi-humans, have real animal ears sticking out of their heads. The demi-humans who migrated from Terralus and their descendants are an object of awe and curiosity to people in other countries.

From 2025 to 2040, during the 15 years in another world, demi-human races and their descendants who were allowed to settle in Japan as a special measure have contributed to Japan in various ways. Some became soldiers to protect the country, such as the Imperial Guard Division soldiers who captured terrorists, while others, who are long-lived, have donated their cells and blood to research institutions to use their genetic information for medical purposes.

But not all of them are good people. During the chaotic period immediately after their return to Earth, crimes by demi-humans appeared here and there, and there were cases that could not be handled by ordinary police officers. Concerned about the situation, the National Police Agency decided to establish a new department to handle cases involving demi-humans and magic. The Metropolitan Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division 4 was created as a pioneer of this new department. In order to counter these people with bodies and special abilities beyond that of ordinary people, many with demi-human blood are assigned to the Investigation Division 4.

"Let's talk to them...!"

"Y-yeah."

The two, who are the sons of wealthy people living in the city-state of the Republic of Hong Kong, approached the girls with half-curiosity and half-pickup-mind. The high school girls also seemed to notice the tourists from the mainland approaching them, and looked at the two men who had started walking alongside them.

"Hey, girls... what are you doing here at night?"

The man's Cantonese was translated into Japanese by a wristwatch translator and passed on to the girls' ears.

"That's the stuff they sell in the vending machines nearby, right? If you'd rather eat that, we'll buy you something better, how's that?"

The other man walked around in front of the girls and looked down at them. The girls, now blocked in their path, stopped and looked up into the men's faces.

"........."

There was no hint of confusion or discomfort on their faces; on the contrary, they were smirking. One of the girls giggled and spoke.

"...Two months ago, some thugs who were getting too carried away got involved with a certain junior high school girl. The thugs were later found dead with severe frostbite, and gave a series of clues that made no sense at all."

"...!?"

She mentioned a certain incident that took place in Tokyo. Five thugs had the misfortune to get involved with a descendant of a Yuki-Onna, and on their way home, they were cursed by her.

"W-what are you talking about?"

The two Hongkongers' faces twitched as they were unexpectedly told a horror tale.

"Ahaha...! It doesn't mean anything in particular, but... just be a bit careful, anything can happen in this city, you know... now let's go."

"Um."

Satisfied with scaring the foreign tourists, the girl who told the story called out to her friend who was walking with her. They walked away from the men as if nothing had happened.

"...Damn, I feel sick."

The Hongkonger said and kicked his left leg toward the sky. The two men then quietly returned to the hotel where they were staying.

In February 2040, the Japanese brought the flying battleship Fusō, the demi-human bloodlines, and magic back to Earth from the other world. Among the demi-human races, in addition to a snow demon that caused the aforementioned incident, there are many other races with special abilities that transcend human knowledge, and their existence, which is beyond the reach of common sense in science, has become a cause for alarm for governments around the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 3

Foreign Affairs Division 2, Metropolitan Police Department, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo

The public security police officers of the Foreign Affairs Division 2 Section 5, led by Superintendent Jyozo Sena, a semi-career officer who is Juen's classmate, were gathered in a conference room in the office.

"New information has just been confirmed at the Joint Investigation Headquarters meeting. I will put it on the screen."

Sena operated his laptop and showed his subordinates what new information has been presented to each department. On the screen they are looking at is an image recorded by a surveillance camera in one of the 23 wards of Tokyo.

"The Integrated Urban Investigation Support Center of the Criminal Investigation Bureau analyzed security cameras in the 23 wards and detected a man with the appearance of Kwon Jung-soo on a camera installed in Minami-Azabu, Minato Ward."

The Integrated Urban Investigation Support Center is an internal department of the Metropolitan Police Department's Criminal Investigation Bureau, which was created as an outgrowth of the Investigation Support and Analysis Center. Its mission is to centrally correct, manage, and analyze the information captured by all surveillance cameras installed in Tokyo, and to provide useful information for case investigation. Once the physical characteristics of a suspect are known, the same person can be detected from the images of all surveillance cameras, and in a case like this, it is almost certain that the suspect can be found as long as he or she is walking around with their face showing.

"Speaking of Minami-Azabu... is that where the Korean Embassy is located?"

Masashi Sakakibara, a member of Section 5, spoke up. Although he is Sena's subordinate, he is a veteran of Section 5 with almost twice as much experience.

"Don't tell me... the embassy helped him!?"

"I don't think his own country would go that far..."

Sakakibara's speculation was a bold one that shook diplomatic relations between nations. Hearing his words, Nashiro Kaito, one of the members, smiled bitterly.

"Japan now adopted a semi-closed country policy, but, well... there is always a way, no matter what the time or circumstance. There is still no end to the number of people who board small boats and cargo ships and recklessly cross the Sea of Japan to reach the Japanese archipelago. It is said that 0,1% of them are lucky enough to reach the country unnoticed."

Japan's maritime country is jointly provided by the Imperial Japanese Navy, which was created as a result of the dissolution of the Maritime Self-Defense Force, and the Japan Coast Guard, which became a branch of the military after a revision of the law. Completely unmanned frigates called Tonbi-class frigates and Sakura-class frigates patrol Japan's territorial waters and Exclusive Economic Zones, and through data links with ground surveillance satellites, eliminate suspicious vessels attempting to smuggle themselves into Japan from the continent. Container ships and other stowaways are also subjected to rigorous checks at "sea gates," or megafloats built at various locations in Japan's territorial waters, before arriving at Japanese ports.

"The Korean People's Revolutionary Army may have gotten mixed up in that way. Or..."

"........."

As Nashiro was about to say that much, Sena placed his index finger on the middle of his lips and urged him to stop speaking. Nashiro, realizing his intention, kept his mouth shut.

"Let's not discuss this any further. All we have to do is to identify the route of their infiltration and secure their collaborators, if any."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 4

Investigation Division 4 Section 7 Office, Metropolitan Police Department 

While Public Security and Foreign Affairs were investigating the route of entry of the terrorist group, the officers of Investigation Division 4 had obtained new evidence about the murder of Jyoen Koroki.

"We have received the results of the analysis from the Integrated Urban Investigation Support Center. The person who entered the restroom where the explosion occurred and did not come out until after the explosion... was detected."

Juen presented new investigative data to his subordinates gathered at the meeting. It showed the most important witness in the case of Jyoen Koroki's murder.

"That person is wearing a hat so deeply that I can't see their face very well," Hozumi squinted.

Naturally, the person was dressed in such a way as to hide his eyes from the surroundings.

"The center is currently tracking this person through surveillance cameras and trying to determine their true identity. But... they say it will take some time."

Having located the key witness, the Integrated Urban Investigation Support Center began its next task, which was to trace where the key witness had come from by rewinding the images from the numerous surveillance cameras at the Expo site and throughout Tokyo, starting from the relevant camera footage.

"As long as we proceed with the investigation along the lines of a grudge, we need to reexamine the victim's surroundings once again. There is still some time until the center's analysis results come out, so let's go to Jyoen Koroki's son, Samon Koroki."

Tamura offered to visit a blood relative. He then went with Rokutani to the office of Samon Koroki, a member of the House of Representatives, who is the victim's biological son.

. . .

Office of Samon Koroki, Chofu City, Tokyo

Tamura and Rokutani, who visited the office, were taken to the reception room on the second floor, where they sipped green tea brought by the secretary and waited for Samon Koroki to enter.

"Hello, thank you for waiting."

With the sound of the door opening, the awaited person entered the reception room. Tamura and Rokutani stood up quickly and bowed. After that, they sat down on the sofa facing each other across the lacquered table.

"I am Samon Koroki. I take it you came from the Metropolitan Police Department?"

"Yes, my name is Tamura, belonging to Investigation Division 4 Section 7."

"Likewise, I am Rokutani."

Samon Koroki, Tamura, and Rokutani introduced themselves to each other again. Koroki's youthful and fresh impression is just like the one seen in the campaign posters, and the atmosphere he wears does not give the slightest hint of arrogance or cockiness, even though he is in a position directly involved in national politics.

"...So, you are saying that you have made some progress in my father's case?"

"Yes, we continued to analyze the surveillance cameras and finally confirmed the existence of a person we thought might be a suspect. However, we have not yet been able to identify the person."

Hearing Tamura's explanation, Koroki looked relieved. He had been so worried when he heard that his father had been killed during the Expo terrorist attack.

"Can you... think of anyone who might have had a grudge against your father?"

"I was asked the same question by the Investigation Division 1, but as for me, I don't have any particular..."

Koroki shook his head and denied the possibility of grudges against his father. He turned his face down a bit and gave a somewhat implied expression.

"Well, my father and I are... a former bureaucrat and a politician who has descended from the heavens, we stand in a position to be criticized by the public in some way. Even if we ourselves don't remember it, we may be suffering from unreasonable resentment and bitterness."

"...I see."

Koroki inferred that the reason for the murder of his father might have been a backhanded grudge. Tamura responded with an attitude that could not be described as either denial or affirmation of that statement. He then made eye contact with Rokutani, who was sitting next to him, and both of them simultaneously bowed as they got up from the sofa.

"...I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to see us."

"No, it's my pleasure... my father's life was taken. I will spare no effort to cooperate."

Koroki also stood up while returning the bow. If it leads to the solution of the case, he has no reason to spare his cooperation.

"If you say so, we would be grateful. If we learn anything else, we will report it to you immediately," Tamura said and proceeded to the door leading out of the room with Rokutani. Koroki stood up and saw the two guests off.

Sometime later, Koroki went to his office. He sat down on a chair at the desk at the far end of the room and took out a piece of paper from its drawer.

"........."

The piece of paper was a memo on which a short handwritten sentence was written. Immediately after that, Koroki took out a cell phone from his pocket and made a call to somewhere.

. . .

Special Joint Investigation Headquarters for the Expo Attack Case, Metropolitan Police Department

While Section 7 was investigating the murder of Jyoen Koroki, there was a new development in the Investigation Division, which was investigating the Expo terrorist attack case. The head of the headquarters, Superintendent Sakamoto, received a new piece of information on the investigation.

"When we checked the access logs to the Metropolitan Police Department archives, we found an unidentified copy of the Expo security plan. We also found a duplicate of the pass cards that were distributed to media outlets upon their entry to the Expo."

One of the officers reported the results of his investigation to the Cybercrime Unit. A computer in the Metropolitan Police Department was found to contain evidence of a suspicious copy of the Expo security plan.

"What!? ...Did you find the accessor's name!?"

Superintendent Sakamoto demanded the officer as he leaned forward. The officer took out a piece of paper from a clear file. It was a document containing the data of a certain police officer with his picture.

"...Takeichi Kogasaki, a Chief Inspector in the MPD Security Division 1."

"...W-what!?"

The man was one of the members involved in the planning of security for the Expo, along with the head of the Security Bureau, Riyoshi. If the man who formulated the security plan had sold it to terrorists, it would be a major scandal that would seriously undermine public trust in the Metropolitan Police Department.

"We have already dispatched a team of officers to interrogate Chief Inspector Kogasaki."

"Oh no... why would he...?"

The man, Kogasaki, was a highly reputable police officer, and Sakamoto was familiar with his name. For that reason, he could not hide his shock.

. . .

Midori University Hospital, Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo

In a room in the hematology ward, a boy is lying on a bed. On the name board in the room, the name Tadato Kogasaki is written. A man sat on a simple chair beside the bed. He is the boy's guardian, Takeichi Kogasaki. On the other side of the bed, the attending physician, a man named Inudera, is examining the boy.

"........."

Inudera finished his examination without saying a word. At that moment, he heard footsteps approaching from the corridor of the ward. The footsteps stopped in front of the room where they are. The door to the ward opened, and standing there were several men in suits.

"Chief Inspector Takeichi Kogasaki... you have been ordered to appear before the Superintendent General. Will you come with us?"

"........."

When his name was called out, Kogasaki was not upset, and silently stared at the policemen who had appeared.

"Heh... you're slower than I thought."

Perhaps anticipating this situation, he smiled with a hint of resignation and showed his willingness to comply with the order to turn himself in. He left the hospital room with the officers without saying any more.

"...Ta—Kogasaki-san!"

Doctor Inudera followed them with a shocked expression and called out Kogasaki's name. Kogasaki turned around slowly.

"...Inudera-sensei, I need you to take care of that boy."

"...!"

That was all Kogasaki said, and he and the officers started walking again. Inudera stared devastated at the back of the group.

Kogasaki walked down the corridor of the hospital ward, surrounded by the three policemen. On his way there, he heard a voice yelling from somewhere.

"Oy, nurse! Come here quick!"

He looked in the direction of the voice and saw a patient in a wheelchair, a man in his early fifties, yelling at the nurse.

"The heck is that patient..."

"Oh, I've seen that guy before. I think... he was one of the reporters who was replaced by the terrorists at the World Expo."

"I wonder if there are people like that in every generation."

The officers were all saying how they felt about the case. Witnessing that bastard of a patient, they all grimaced bitterly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.4K 2.3K 76
A spin on the classic tale of Heroes summoned to defeat the Demon Lord, only the main character is the Demon Lord... who is also one of the Heroes? M...
2.6K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
213K 4K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...
564K 38.8K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...