Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 8

69 2 26
By SkyAngel_

And what a magnificent story he spins.

"So, they are not dead?" Delia asks, fidgeting with her horse's leather reigns.

"No, they are not dead but I sure did put them into their place!" Kagon laughs. "How funny Davel's face was when I sprung free from my binds just before he could take off my head with that axe of his! And the more humorous it was when I took that axe and held it to his neck. Suddenly he wasn't so gleeful, and how good he is at begging for his life! Two fine horses and a sharp knife with supplies to last us quite awhile is what he bribed me with for allowing him to live."

Delia nods, she's been quiet ever since they had set off away from her cursed village.

"Aye." He nudges her lightly. "Why are you upset? You are safe from your father and away from the village. Not to mention," he grins, "you are traveling with the best hero of all the lands!"

"I am relieved really." Delia pauses. "But I must ask why you did not just fight them and take me when they first arrived."

Kagon laughs. "That's what is nipping at you? I did it because of the adventure. Being so close to the hands of Darknae is exhilarating."

Delia glares daggers at the hero. "Danger and adventure is one thing, but you should never put yourself so close to death on purpose. My father could of had me and we could both be dead."

"It would of never happened. Your father is too cocky for his own good. He underestimated me and that's how I knew I would be able to escape with you."

"Ha! And you are not cocky?" Delia laughs bitterly.

"Aye, I'm as proud as can be, however I'm not stupid enough to underestimate my enemies."

Delia messages her eyes with the heel of her palms. "There really is no point in trying to convince you of my own views, is there?"

Kagon laughs. "I'm afraid not. However, in time you will understand my views and probably even agree with them."

"Doubtful." Delia smiles sardonically. "My father was right about one thing, I can be quite shrewish."

The hero chuckles at the scribe. "That you can."

Delia cracks a smile. "Come on hero, let us follow our next path towards another goal."

"That's the spirit, writer Delia. Ya!" Kagon spurs the horse and the strong being gallops ahead.

"Spirit, it is not something I lack." Delia chuckles. "Ya!" At that her horse runs onward, after the hero's steed.

〰〰〰

Kagon glances at his companion from the corner of his eyes. Her grey eyes sparkle like ocean waves and her hands grip tightly to her horse's reigns.

Kagon eyes the pensive girl. To him it is as if she is both happy and upset.

It is strange. Emotions should never be so jumbly. You are either content or you are not.

"So do we have any certain destination?" Delia questions, breaking Kagon's train of curious thoughts

"Yes, this dagger is well made but it is no sword. What I need is a new blade, a sword that will outmatch the one I lost before."

Finding a blade better than Kagon's old sword is not as easy as it sounds. His former weapon was a long two-handed sword with a shining metal blade and with a strong leather hilt inlaid with sparkling crystals. He had received the weapon from the horde of a thief he caught trying to steal his supplies awhile back.

"That doesn't sound too difficult." Delia says.

Kagon smirks, if only she had just heard his prior thoughts. Instead of explaining he says something else. "You will see."

Delia shrugs, but then suddenly becomes timid. "Could maybe I get a sword?"

Kagon bellows a thunderous laugh. "A sword is not for a lady."

"But neither is this journey, I must be able to protect myself somehow."

"No worries, writer Delia. I will protect you and myself."

Delia grumbles something under her breath that Kagon can't hear.

"I hope you were muttering about my strength and good looks, Delia." Kagon calls back to her, voice playfully threatening.

"Something like that." She mutters.

Kagon smirks and the two go back to concentrating on the beautiful world around them.

The forest path they ride through is a wide dirt path, often travelled by merchants and travelers. It is well cleared from the hooves of horses and the wheels of wagons but in no way does this distract from the creeping green nature surrounding the path.

The trees are made of sturdy hard wood dripping emerald colored leaves over the path to create some sort of canopy, protecting travelers from rain and bad weather. Some trees bear brightly colored fruit in which the pair occasionally grabs and eats, the fruit's sweet flavor exploding on their tongues.

Flowers too line the path, they are bright colored blooming dots, a contrast against the dark green of the forest.

However, not all is well in the woods. The chitter-chatter of tweeting birds is a pleasant melody but the buzzing of gnats and mosquitoes are not. They feast upon the travelers, not only biting them but bothering their horses as well. The only way they leave is if the horses gallop faster than they can fly. Not wanting to tire the horses they do this in short bursts but always the bugs come back to antagonize them once they slow.

Not only is the bugs a constant antagonist but so is the heat. The air has become humid , attracting the ravenous bugs to the unconcealed parts of their skin. Both the weather, the bugs, and the riding soreness are a constant discomfort to them both. Even Kagon who is used to such conditions wishes for the sun to sink in the sky so they can finally make camp.

The hero looks over to his companion as she bats at the bugs while wiping sticky sweat away from under her bangs. Kagon has to admit he's proud of her. She has stayed with him and dealt with the hardship of traveling and adventuring better than most.
She may turn out well yet.

"Let's set up camp." Kagon says after walking for awhile longer. "It will be good for us to get to bed early, besides the humidity most likely means it is going to rain. We should find shelter."

Delia nods her agreement and the two dismount their horses, wandering away from the path to find a good place that will shelter their tents from the brunt of the rain.

"Over here!" Kagon calls, gesturing to an area where the branches of trees are more numerous than in other areas, creating a more secure canopy.

Delia leads the horses to a place near a stream in sight of their camp and ties them to a tree so they can rest and drink.

Delia unpacks the horses while Kagon pitches up the decent sized tent Davel had given them.

Kagon smiles in amusement as he finishes setting up the tent. Thank you Davel.

After Delia is done unpacking she stores everything safely inside the tent just in case it does rain. They don't need their supplies to be ruined by the rain, it is days until the next village where they can restock.

Finally after an hour of preparing the campsite the two travelers sit in front of a roaring fire, cooking the meet Davel gave them before it can spoil. It will be the best meal either of them had in awhile. And it is.

Afterwards they lay at opposite sides of the tent, their bellies full and the tent shut to the pesky bugs thirsting for them outside the tent. After a hard day of riding the two easily fall into a deep sleep.

But that isn't the end of their day.

Kagon wakes hours later sputtering for breath.

He looks around wildly, watching as the banks of the stream over flood from the all the rain and drown the area surrounding it, including Delia and Kagon's tent.

But where is the tent? Kagon wanders with a start.

He doesn't have time to ponder this as the current drags him towards the stream.
Swiftly Kagon grabs on to a tree, holding tight as not to be sucked into the stream.

"Kagon!"

The hero looks around wildly. Cordelia.

From far off Kagon can barely make out Delia's flailing hands as she, like he did tries to grab on to something to save her from the currents. Kagon moves to let go of the tree to retrieve Delia but then lightning crackles, illuminating Delia's terrified face as she is able to grasp tightly to a tree.

The sky turns dark again, the only sound is the rushing currents until, crackle, another bolt of lightning lights up the forest.

But where Delia held is nothing more than the tangly roots of what is left of the tree.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21 9 14
"You will be reborn as hope, My boy Milagro, Oh sorry its Kaan now." "What Reborn!!?" What is this stupid god of tales saying. *** Kaan born to bring...
303 16 8
Adonis, the Helenyan prince, carries an unsettling truth: everyone has a 'poison', a flaw of some sort, that corrupts their soul and leads them to ru...
127 8 6
When the land of Verdun has lost all sense of hope, a warrior princess, Kara, and her charismatic companion, Darnel, run away in search of the infamo...
242 19 8
The kingdom of Istamid is under the tyrannical rule of dragons, but there are still places where the dragons' presence isn't felt so strongly. One su...