The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something

562 20 3
By MissElleDee

It was another day at the Duke of Kargaz estate.

Everything seemed to be pretty normal. 

The several women living within the estate were quietly observing everything.

As days passed by, they were all aware that there were significant changes happening within the estate, especially between the duke and the duchess.

At first, they thought that the duchess was also one of them - a pawn discarded by their family in order to gain the favor of His Majesty. Thus, they didn't even pay any attention to the new duchess.

Although there was a difference in title, a huge one at that, in their eyes, a pawn was still a pawn, that the duchess was just as insignificant as they all were.

But lo and behold, it didn't take long before they realized that the duchess seemed to hold a different role than the rest of them.

And this made everyone squirm on their plush and expensive seats.

Although they wanted to do something about it, they couldn't just possibly go against the duchess head on.

Why?

It was because of the duke himself, of course.

Remaining for this long at the estate of the famous Duke of Kargaz, they had all surrendered under the rule of the duke and even went against their families, surreptitiously.

For at first they were all deployed by their families to spy and tarnish the reputation of the most powerful and the strongest man in the Kingdom of Hartize, under the direct and open secret order of His Majesty The King.

By doing this, even if the duke became the strongest swordsman in the kingdom, his name would not have a strong foundation and the opinion of the public would always be torn due to his seemingly promiscuous way of living, housing several women without giving any title to any of them.

But for some unknown reasons, the way the duke treated and regarded the duchess was far different from them and for what they expected.

The duke even sternly warned them not to touch the duchess.

Even the most favored one, Lady Janette Terav was given a cold treatment after slightly confronting the duchess.

If the most favored one received such harsh punishment, what more the several of them?

Because of this, they could only patiently and obediently watch on the sidelines as they awaited how things would turn out.

But of course, none of them would willingly give up should they have to leave the estate.

After all, they all decided to side with the duke because they all sincerely admired the duke and they were all holding a torch for the duke.

And today, after hearing for several days, and even seeing for themselves, that the duchess had been shopping lately, a sudden news came about that startled most of them.

The duchess decided to accept the lots of invitations for tea parties coming from some of the noble and aristocratic families in Kargaz and even those few from the Royal City.

This news was like a sudden tornado that came to rattle them all, an earthquake to shake them all.

While this news was not a secret one, they could only bite their fingers as they quietly and anxiously let their thoughts wander around this explosive piece of information.

At the Duchess's study room, inside the Crystal Diamond room.

Atallie was calmly and elegantly sipping on her favorite cup of tea when a knock came at the door.

"Madame, Lizbeth has arrived," Leonor announced.

"Let her in," Atallie said.

Lizbeth, Atallie's one and only lady-in-waiting, and a wizardess from the Blue Ray Wizard Tower, walked in upon opening the door.

"Greetings, Madame," Lizbeth respectfully curtsied as she stepped inside.

"Welcome back, Lizbeth," Atallie spoke casually. "Come and take a seat."

Lizbeth had a vibrant and genuine smile on her face. She had a sunny personality after all, but due to her identity as a wizardess as well, her sunny personality was often being masked depending on varying situations.

But today, after coming back from a trip and accomplishing her task given by the duchess, her sense of fulfillment made her full of joy upon her return.

"Madame, I have accomplished what you have required of me," Lizbeth said when she sat down.

"That is good," Atallie curtly said as an acknowledgement.

"Madame, if I may ask, how are things at the estate when I was not around? Have you experienced any discomfort? Or any mistreatment? If you have any other needs and requests, just let me know, and I will do my best!"

Looking at the enthusiastic Lizbeth in front of her that was beaming with high energy, Atallie seemed to have felt a throbbing on her head.

Her cold and indifferent self could not easily handle such eagerness from her own lady-in-waiting.

"Lizbeth, you have nothing to worry about," she simply said.

"However, Madame, given the situation back then, it was truly a relief that you managed to return to the estate before the duke returned as well. I could not possibly know what to do if I would have to cover up for you during that time," said Lizbeth with a frown on her face.

Thinking about that day, Lizbeth could only heave a huge sigh of relief when the duchess finally returned, and in a timely manner at that when the duke returned and was somehow injured.

If not, Lizbeth could not possibly continue to pose as the duchess and tend to the duke, right? It was far beyond her capabilities and she didn't have such guts as well.

Thus, when everything unfolded, Lizbeth was thankful that on that particular day, the duchess finally returned without any problem.

Lizbeth was still caught up with her thoughts when her gaze flickered and saw how the duchess was looking at her.

She saw the cold and indifferent amber eyes of the duchess looking straight at her.

Then, she heard Atallie speak.

"Lizbeth, you only have to obey and trust, do you understand?"

Lizbeth was jolted awake.

"I understand, Madame. I apologize for my mistake," Lizbeth said right away. She knew she was being too nosy for some things that she ought not to mind.

There was only one thing she should do: obey and trust.

That was the reason why she was here in the first place, but of course, under the order of the Mistress of the Blue Ray Wizard Tower.

However, at the back of her mind, Lizbeth was also just thinking about the duchess and the duke.

And Atallie was aware of it. Thus, she didn't want to further pursue the matter.

There were more important things to handle from today onwards.

Thus, she said to Lizbeth, "Pour yourself a cup of tea, I called you here for some matters."

Lizbeth's ears perked up. With her twinkling eyes, her gaze instantly focused on Atallie.

Atallie sighed internally at the sight.

Lizbeth is truly too enthusiastic…

Did she forget that I just scolded her a while ago?

Forget it, as long as she's good and well.

Atallie blinked away her thoughts as she took another sip on her tea before putting down her now almost empty cup.

She slightly leaned back against the soft sofa as she crossed her legs. Her gaze turned.

If one would look closely, one would find out that Atallie's gaze became less cold and less stern than before.

There was almost a tinge of different glint on them as she slightly narrowed them.

Lizbeth was still focused on Atallie and under her fervent gaze, the sudden change in Atallie's aura, minimal yet still discernible with her pair of big and shining trained eyes.

She had a feeling that the duchess seemed to be thinking about something dangerous as she saw Atallie slightly narrowed her eyes.

It was her instinct.

It seemed that those cold amber eyes were now glinting dangerously.

She blinked as her thoughts gathered.

But before Lizbeth could further overthink, Atallie's voice sounded once again.

"I accepted a few of the invitations to some social gatherings."

Lizbeth blinked, confusedly.

The duchess did?

When did this happen?

Why haven't I heard any of it?

"It happened before you came back," Atallie added. It was as if she knew what Lizbeth was thinking about.

As her lady-in-waiting, of course, Lizbeth should be aware of such matters.

"I am informing you now because you need to start the preparation," Atallie continued.

"You will hear the rest from Leonor. You should rest for today and wrap everything until tomorrow. We will proceed the day after. Do you understand?" she asked. Her cold and gleaming amber eyes were looking straight at Lizbeth, who seemed to be in a daze now.

Lizbeth nodded as she heard Atallie's words loud and clear.

However, she could not ignore the feeling that the duchess seemed to be up to something.

She could even smell trouble…

Just by looking at those deep and gleaming amber eyes…

"Lizbeth?" Atallie called upon noticing Lizbeth's somehow confused and conflicted expression.

Lizbeth's heart raced as she opened her mouth to finally speak. "Madame, you're not up to something else, right?"

She asked and just casually blurted out the first thing that came to her mind.

Lizbeth's big and round eyes dilated in shame and horror as she realized what she just asked.

"What?" Atallie asked, her voice still as cold and monotonous as always.

Yet, who could tell that she almost burst into laughter at Lizbeth's sudden question.

It seems like Lizbeth's senses are sharper as expected.

To think that she was able to detect something in my expression – as expected of someone from that place…

"Your Grace! I mean, Madame, pardon my impudence, it's just that - I mean, what I would actually like to ask is - how much preparation do I need to prepare?" Lizbeth stuttered as she made a way out of her clumsy mistake.

She wanted to slap herself for such clumsiness yet she could only quietly try hard to maintain her calmness as she grit her teeth and scold herself internally.

Atallie was amused at the varying expression flashing on Lizbeth's face.

She thought she is holding it well enough?

Look at those blush on her cheeks.

Tsk. Tsk.

Nevermind. I'll just pretend there was nothing amiss on her face.

But trying to recollect her thoughts and keep herself from laughing and even smiling, Atallie had to stand.

Suddenly seeing the duchess stood up from her seat and walked a distance away with her back against her, Lizbeth's mind buzzed.

Am I going to get punished?

I'm not, right?

Or am I really?

What should I do?

Am I done for?

As Lizbeth's thoughts swirled in different directions, she would never know that Atallie, whom she thought was offended by her, actually had to breathe out her stifled laugh while her back was turned against her.

After letting out a long sigh, Atallie spoke once again. Her voice was as still as a lake without any ripple.

"Just prepare enough."

Upon hearing the calm voice of Atallie, Lizbeth's thoughts were put to a halt as she immediately let out a sigh of relief.

It seems like the duchess is not mad at me for blurting out such nonsense…

However, little did she know that what was coming up for her would be worse compared to her previous cluttered thoughts.

Atallie's monotonous voice sounded once again. "After all, those people should be the ones who better be prepared." Atallie said casually and indifferently.

It was truly too soon before Lizbeth could relax.

Dusk came, then a new dawn arrived.

"Madame, should we just wait upon His Grace before you set off on your journey?" Leonor asked with a stern face.

The day that Duchess Atallie informed her about her plans to accept the social invitations from various noble and aristocratic families, Leonor could not tell whether it would be a good or bad thing.

And now, it seemed like her thoughts were right.

She didn't know that the duchess would be so bent on following her plans right away that she would set off as early as tomorrow.

And guess what - without the duke's consent.

This was truly a bad thing for Leonor.

Thus, she was trying her best to convince Atallie to delay her plans.

"I have already written a letter to inform the duke about this matter. I have already said that prior to this, he has given me the authority to do what I want and decide on my own. Be at ease, Leonor," said Atallie as she calmly glanced at Leonor who was seated in front of her with her brows deeply furrowed.

"Madame, if I may speak forwardly, it is not the only matter which I am concerned about," Leonor said. She just had to voice out her thoughts and worries but she had to make sure that it would not be offending to the duchess.

"You may speak freely, Leonor. It is only the two of us here."

"If that is so, then, let me share my thoughts with regard to this matter. Aside from going forth with Madame's plans without the direct and clear consent of His Grace. What is more serious than that is your acceptance of Her Highness's tea party invitation." Leonor said. She could not help but to press her lips together in a rigid manner.

"I believe Madame is also aware of the situation within the Royal Family and His Grace…" she faltered as she looked at Atallie, wanting to see and know whether she could still speak freely of such matters.

Because until now, Leonor could not tell exactly what was going on between the duke and the duchess. She could not make the heads out of the tail, and she was not aware whether the duke himself had already spoken about such matters with the duchess. Thus, Leonor didn't know whether it was truly alright for her to share such things with the duchess.

If not, and if the duke knew that she somehow tattletale, Leonor could only scold herself harshly and expect to be reprimanded by the duke himself.

But, Leonor had to take a gamble so as to convince Atallie not to go or at least delay her plans in going to the Royal City.

"Madame might be aware or still unaware. However, for the goodness sake of the duke and yours as well, I will have to directly inform Madame that the royals and the duke are against each other, and there are some occasions that a certain incident might arise. When such time comes, both the duke and Madame might face some problems. And this is the reason why I wanted to inform Madame," Leonor said. Her tone was sharp and firm, and her expression was rigid and stern.

Leonor's very look was indirectly telling Atallie that she should not go.

However, looking closely at Atallie who was as calm and indifferent as always, Leonor could not even tell what she was thinking about.

Nevertheless, she could only try her best and hope that the duchess would be convinced in the end.

However, little did she know, Leonor was already bound to lose against the stubborn Atallie.

After all, weren't all the previous fuss for several days and bits of plans and preparations already set and determined by Atallie?

"Leonor," Atallie started. She picked up her favorite cup of tea, her thick and lush eyelashes dropped down like a fan as she looked down. "I can tell you that I know enough about it."

"Oh, if that is the case, then, that is a relief," said Leonor. She was a bit flustered, surprised upon Atallie's words. Though it didn't show much on her reaction, she knew that her eyes and expression were a bit out of place.

Thinking about it, Leonor was worried that the duchess would misunderstand her.

However, looking at the duchess who was so focused on her teacup, Leonor could put her worry down.

But just as Leonor could heave a sigh of relief and decided to continue speaking about the topic at hand, Atallie's voice sounded in front of her.

"But I have to go. After all, I have already accepted the invitation, right?" Atallie said, nonchalantly.

Leonor's eyes dilated. She was flabbergasted.

Aren't we on the same page already?

Bringing the cup near her rosy lips, Atallie finally took a sip from it. Having tasted the aromatic and soothing sweetness and spice of the tea, Atallie was pleased with it and took another sip before putting the cup down back to the table.

Then, she lifted her head and her glinting amber eyes stared straight at the bewildered Leonor.

Being stared down suddenly by the duchess, with those cold and sharp eyes of her, Leonor immediately snapped back to her senses.

"Madame…what do you mean by that?" Leonor asked. She had to.

Being aware of the situation and knowing that an accident might occur anytime, still insisting on going would be akin to putting oneself to high risk of danger.

Thus, Leonor could not figure out why. She had to ask to confirm.

"I mean exactly as my words just now, Leonor," Atallie answered.

Leonor's old heart was already anxious at this moment as she tried to make sense of what the duchess just said in her mind.

But before she could voice out her thoughts and reaction, Leonor was beaten by the duchess once again.

"Enough about this. I have already made up my mind. There is no use in convincing me," said Atallie. She stood from her seat and walked towards the large windows. Her back now facing the speechless Leonor.

Silence reigned inside the room.

After several seconds, Leonor was about to attempt speaking, when Atallie's indifferent and cold voice cut through the silence like a well-sharpened knife.

"I will go. I must go."

_______
A/n: And that's it for Chapter 49!

Thank you, my dear readers for continuous support by reading and commenting! Know that I appreciate you all well.

I just want to remind everyone as well, that the chapters of this story are not yet proofread. So, a few mistyped, misplaced, and misused words might come up here and there. If you could help me take a note of it, I'd appreciate it as well!

Thanks for dropping by!

Don't forget to vote and commment!

I'll see you in the next chapter!

Xoxo!

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 2.4K 56
Fate leads those who are willing but must push those who are not. One might interpret this saying a bit too literal. After all, Elena did end up on t...
96 0 15
HEARTS, beings with humanoid forms that have powerful magic power. The stronger these beings are, the stronger the kingdoms that own them become...
8 0 7
There is a famous story about the strongest warrior around the empire of Claveria. A woman leading an army of strong men who always bring victory to...
9K 314 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...