CHURLISH | james b. barnes

By E_Erasteon

BOOK 3 of the ORPHIC Series CHURLISH /ˈCHərliSH/ marked by a lack of civility. ... More

[ i ]
[ U L T R O N ]
[ α ]
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 7 ]
[ 8 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 11 ]
[ 12 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 14 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 18 ]
[ D I S S E N S I O N ]
[ 19 ]
[ 20 ]
[ 21 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 24 ]
[ 25 ]
[ 26 ]
[ 27 ]
[ 28 ]
[ 29 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 31 ]
[ C I V I L W A R ]
[ 32 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 34 ]
[ 35 ]
[ 36 ]
[ 37 ]
[ 38 ]
[ 39 ]
[ 40 ]
[ 41 ]
[ 42 ]
[ 43 ]
[ 44 ]
[ 45 ]
[ 46 ]
[ 47 ]
[ 48 ]
[ 49 ]
[ 50 ]
[ 51 ]
[ 52 ]
[ 53 ]
[ 54 ]
[ L E G E R D E M A I N ]
[ 55 ]
[ 56 ]
[ 57 ]
[ 58 ]
[ 59 ]
[ 60 ]
[ 61 ]
[ 62 ]
[ 64 ]
[ 65 ]
[ 66 ]
[ 67 ]
[ 68 ]
[ 69 ]
[ 70 ]
[ 71 ]
[ 72 ]
[ 73 ]
[ 74 ]
[ 75 ]
[ 76 ]
[ 77 ]
[ S E L C O U T H ]
[ 78 ]
[ 79 ]
[ 80 ]
[ 81 ]
[ 82 ]
[ 83 ]
[ 84 ]
[ 85 ]
[ 86 ]
[ 87 ]
[ 88 ]
[ I N T E R L U D E ]
[ 89 ]
[ 90 ]
[ 91 ]
[ 92 ]
[ 93 ]
[ 94 ]
[ Ω ]
BOOK 4: DISENTHRALL

[ 63 ]

232 21 1
By E_Erasteon

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

63

"The best mirror is an old friend."

???, Hungary
May, 2016

"SO, YOU'RE LIKE THE DEVIL?" Yelena questioned, looking at Lucy with a serious expression.

The engine to the plane shuttered off as Klause landed in a grassy field, surrounded by nothing but trees and a broad lake. There was a street a mile or so from where they were parked, at least according to Google Maps. He exited the piloting seat, looking at Lucy with a questioning look.

She facepalmed at Yelena's question.

For the past ten minutes they'd been in the air, Yelena had been relentless with her questioning. Some questions were genuinely curious, like can you meet the dead? Have you seen anyone you know in the afterlife? Innocent questions that made sense. Then there were the questions that Lucy was sure Yelena was only asking for laughs or boredom.

She'd been rightfully curious as to where the body of the dead Black Widow had disappeared to, and Lucy had let out a long sigh because she'd placed her in a casket that was sitting right there. How Yelena missed that was beyond her, especially when Natasha had given it a look of acknowledgement.

"No, I'm not a magical being, Yelena." She sighed with a shake of her head. "And I don't always drag souls to the worst part of Hel. I help certain indecisive souls make a choice. It's souls who I guide down a path, whether it's to the Field of Reeds–Heaven, remember–or the Fields of Punishment."

She cleared her throat.

"And I've only done it twice." She gave Yelena a pointed look. "Plus, I don't feel the need to raise the dead. So. . .we can continue this conversation later."

Lucy gave Yelena an amused smile as she huffed, nearly pouting. Lucy stood to her feet, placing a hand on Natasha's shoulder as she started towards the exit. Natasha's eyes fluttered open, having fallen asleep during the ride. She looked up at Lucy before standing to her feet as well.

Yelena grumbled under her breath as she stepped past Lucy, jumping the stairs of the exit as she landed swiftly on her feet. Natasha looked at Lucy with a raised eyebrow of confusion and Lucy placed a hand on the casket sitting behind the seat she'd been near. Natasha gave her a nod of understanding as she exited.

Lucy inhaled deeply, shutting her eyes as she drew the power of her soul, bringing it to her fingertips as dark shards whirled angrily across her hand. She let it swirl across the surface of the casket before causing it to float. She exited the vehicle with the casket floating along with her.

Her feet crunched against grass as she looked up at the plane entrance. Klause stood with his hands clasped in front of him.

"Stay here." She said softly.

Klause inclined his head, turning around and entering the plane again. The reflectie plates set in place and the vehicle disappeared in front of them. Lucy turned to focus on the grass beneath her feet. She took a step back as the ground beneath her started to wilt and die. The dirt blew away, making a rectangular hole in the ground.

She turned to the casket and found herself standing in front of Nephthys. The goddess gave her a soft smile. Lucy deactivated her abilities, picking up the casket while Nephthys held onto the other side. They carried the casket together, placing it in the hole. She held her hand out as the grass stitched itself back together, molecules buzzing in the air.

"You did a wonderful job, Lucy." Nephthys said gently from beside her. "She'll be happy."

Lucy glanced up at her with a small nod.

She swiveled on her heel to see Yelena staring at her with her mouth dropped open.

"Wait, wait, wait, you can do that?" She gaped at her. "I thought–death and healing magic–isn't that your thing?"

Lucy's eyelid twitched, because really, Yelena's imagination could be shortcoming sometimes. She guessed it made sense that Yelean only thought in such a way since Lucy usually only healed the young Widows when they broke bones or stabbed each other.

But really, she'd just blasted a window out when they were running from the other Widows.

"No." Lucy replied as she started into the forest. "It's molecular manipulation and necromantic warping. Completely different. One is far more powerful than the other. Everything HYDRA gave me is fairly weak."

She shook her head.

"Come on, let's get to the street." Lucy said.

Yelena and Natasha both glanced at each other before following behind her. Lucy tapped her finger against her watch as she trudged through the grass, brushing her hand against the bark of a few trees, black spreading from her fingertips and turning it black. She made sure to keep track of their path as they walked the mile it took to get to the street.

She wiped sweat off her forehead as their feet landed on rolled pavement. She glanced back at Natasha, who had made it to the street as quick as her. Yelena, on the other hand, lagged behind slightly as she let out a long huff, eyes squinting at her.

"Why are you so fast?" She groaned. "Is someone chasing us? No. What happened to conserving the energy, huh?"

Lucy placed a hand on her hip as she looked at Yelena with a raised eyebrow. The younger rolled her eyes, padding forwards to walk next to her. They trailed on for a few minutes, before Lucy caught sight of a gas station down the road.

She picked up the pace and Yelena let out another grumble.

"By the way, I never got to ask," she panted as she adjusted her backpack, "what's with the new hair?"

She waved her hand at her own head, looking at her with curiosity.

Lucy blinked.

The question took her off guard. Lucy knew the whole hair darkening was an accident on Loki's part, as well as Hela's. It hadn't been something she'd chosen. She'd overused her abilities and she guessed it forced her spirit to reform with the necromantic abilities Hela had. And now that she was with Nephthys, she wouldn't be very surprised if her hair turned darker.

But. . .it had never bothered her.

Lucy remembered when she'd first been taken by HYDRA–the Nazi's. She remembered, in the very beginning, when they'd sat all the subjects together, tied to chairs, speaking with cruelty. She remembered the cries of others, but, most importantly, she remembered being told why they had been chosen.

IQ, grades, routines, height, age, gender.

Then Henry–Dr. Schaffer had smiled, his teeth shining like a wolf's.

Blonde hair, blue eyes.

Lucy didn't understand why that had mattered. She didn't understand why her hair and eye color had been a liability–had been the reason she'd been chosen. Because–what if she had brown hair? What if she had brown eyes? Didn't that mean that. . .none of this would happen? That she would be dead somewhere, buried in a casket with a headstone?

She guessed that was why she actually didn't mind the black hair. It was. . .it was safe. And her eyes, though still tinted blue, were far paler, and far grayer. It was a veil that kept her away from anyone who thought she was superior because of what she looked like.

She knew the ideology didn't run across HYDRA as much as it did in the past–otherwise Pierce would've been angry–but still, Lucy would rather have dark hair.

"My abilities." She explained. "The first time I was given the dark essence of Hela, it changed my physiology. I guess the hair thing just. . .happened."

She gave Yelena a little shrug, watching as she nodded her head in thought.

"The eyes, too?" Natasha asked from her right.

Lucy glanced at her, giving a small nod.

"It's harder for people to recognize me, though." Lucy admitted, and Natasha furrowed her brows.

"But. . .you were in the news–with the different–" she gave her an implying look.

Lucy looked at her as the colors of her irises started to spin like she was staring at a kaleidoscope. The icy blue of her eyes started to shift into something darker. Her eyes became nearly completely black, more brown-ish than blue.

Natasha's eyes widened with surprise.

"Could you do that before?" She asked as Yelena walked in front of them to see what she was seeing.

Lucy let Yelena examine her eyes before blinking her pupils back to normal.

"No." She rubbed the back of her neck. "I figured it out while I was in Egypt."

Natasha gave her a nod.

Their conversation grew silent again as they clambered towards the gas stations, walking past civilians and cars alike. Lucy kept her eyes darting back and forth for threats, cautious about anyone, child or adult. She didn't trust anything right now, especially after what Ross had done.

"So," Natasha cleared her throat as they entered the store, "the Red Room's still active. Where is it?"

Yelena scanned the shelves as they stepped inside.

Lucy gave the cashier a wave and a smile as he greeted them quietly, looking more or less skittish. She decided to not let her gaze dwell on the man longer than it needed to, eyes flicking across the typical gas station products she found, although there were some Hungary snacks she didn't expect.

"I have no idea." Yelena replied with a shrug.

She grabbed a few sticks of zamba, a sweet candy confection that was better than starbursts since Pierce had never given them any. She grabbed a few Tibi chocolate bars and Lángos chips. She glanced up at Natasha who gave her a look.

Lucy gave her a sheepish smile and Natasha shook her head.

"He moves location constantly," Yelena continued, "and every Widow is sedated on entry and exit for maximum security."

Natasha hummed thoughtfully, leaning her shoulder against the wall. Yelena picked up a few first aid kit items. Lucy grabbed a few more chocolate bars, before eyeing a pack of beers.

"I'm just finding it hard to believe that he could stay off my radar." Natasha admitted, frowning.

Lucy supposed if Dreykov wanted to get rid of Natasha, it would be a fairly dumb plan. Not only was Natasha strong in her own right, but Lucy was right here.

"Well, it's not smart to attack an Avenger if you want to stay hidden." Yelena voiced her thoughts. "I mean, the clue is in the name. Dreykov kills you, one of the big ones come to avenge you."

Natasha inclined her head, before giving Yelena a confused look.

"Wait, what are the big ones?" She questioned.

Yelena nodded her head at Lucy.

"Well, I doubt the god from space has to take an ibuprofen after a fight. And I hardly think our mentors wouldn't rip the world to shreds in response." Yelena paused, hesitating. "Yasha."

Natasha snapped her head up, the name catching her attention.

Lucy's gaze softened as the redhead stepped around Yelena, looking at the shelves of items behind her. She knew Natasha had given Winter a name because it wasn't a 'proper' name, and she had been teaching him how to be more human–Natasha's braids didn't appear out of nowhere. She had helped James understand something akin to compassion, and that had put him in trouble.

That had put her in trouble as well. And their whole attempt to escape was also a topic they never spoke of.

"Where did you think I was all this time?" Yelena questioned quietly.

Natasha let out a soft breath.

"I thought that you got out and were living a normal life." Natasha stated.

Yelena looked down at the box of bandages in her hand.

"And you just never made contact again?" She asked.

Natasha started washing her hands at the sink jutting out from the side.

"Honestly, I thought you didn't want to see me." Natasha shrugged.

Lucy knew from the small inflection in her tone that Natasha was lying to either Yelena or herself. They all knew how dangerous keeping bonds were, especially when they were in the Red Room. Natalia couldn't communicate a lot with Yelena because they weren't meant to treat each other as siblings.

If she hadn't chosen Yelena to tutor, then Winter or Madame B or Dreykov himself would have chosen to put Natasha against Yelena. And they would have fought to the death. She swatted the thought away–that didn't happen. Lucy had chosen Yelena and had paid the price in the end.

Yelena scoffed.

"Bullshit." She responded. "You just didn't want your baby sister to tag along, whilst you saved the world with the cool kids."

Yelena walked back over towards the cashier.

"You weren't really my sister." Natasha replied as she wiped her hands with a paper towel.

Lucy stiffened, her eyes sharpening as Yelena's expression dropped, her eyes staring ahead of her with something between shock and acceptance.

"Не лги, Наталья."

Don't lie, Natalia.

Lucy said sharply, her tone far too motherly.

Natasha stopped, looking at her with narrowed eyes.

"And the Avengers aren't your real family." Yelena shrugged off Natasha's comment, but Lucy could see the hurt.

She stomped the protectiveness in her chest as flat as possible, because goddamnit, she would give Natasha a firm talking to, but she knew that she had no credibility to do so. She wasn't their real mother, and they were mature enough to take care of themselves now.

But she couldn't push the memory of little Lena away.

"Why do you always do that thing?" Yelena asked as she placed her items in front of the cashier.

Lucy followed suit, placing everything on the desk. She watched the man scan the items as she patted her pockets for her thin wallet. She fished out the thing from her back pocket, opening the leather and removing a black card with gold lettering on it.

It was different from the business card she'd given Marius all those months ago.

"Do what?" Natasha questioned.

Lucy shifted on her feet as Yelena dropped to the floor in a crouch, one foot jutted out while her hand remained braced on the floor.

"The thing you do when you're fighting. The, like the–" she practically giggled as she started whipping her hair back and forth, "–this thing that you do, when you whip your hair when you're fighting, with the arm and the hair. And you do like, a fighting pose."

Yelena laughed as Natasha blinked at her.

"It's a–it's a fighting pose." She continued. "You're a total poser."

Natasha's eyelid twitched.

"I'm not a poser." She huffed.

"Oh come on," Yelena dismissed her words, "I mean, they're great poses, but it does look like you think everyone's looking at you, like, all the time."

Natasha rolled her eyes, before nodding at Lucy.

"She started it first." Natasha stated. "I learned it."

Lucy supposed she had been the one to show Natasha the whole 'jumping from a backflip to a half crouch', even though she had never actually taught the technique. Lucy couldn't help but remember when Joseph's friend–Luke?–had grinned at her and pointed, claiming she was a poser.

She felt her lips twitch upwards at the memory.

The cashier handed her credit card back, and she slipped it into her wallet, pocketing it in her back pocket.

"Besides," Natasha continued, "all that time I spent posing, I was trying to actually do something good to make up for all the pain and suffering that we caused. Trying to be more than just a trained killer."

Yelena stared at her again, that flash of hurt causing something protective to burn again. Natasha picked up the bags the cashier handed to Lucy, taking them with a small look of gratitude. Lucy didn't say how inexpensive the snacks and supplies they'd bought were.

"Well, then you were fooling yourself," Yelena tilted her head, "because pain and suffering is every day and we are both still a trained killer."

She stepped towards her.

"Except I'm not the one that's on the cover of a magazine." She said fiercely. "I'm not the killer that little girls call their hero."

"Осторожней, Елена."

Watch it, Yelena.

Lucy scolded.

Yelena pursed her lips into a near pout, turning on her heel and stomping away again.

Lucy glanced at Natasha, who gave her a small shake of her head.

"You're not a killer, Natasha." Lucy said firmly. "You did your job. A job you never wanted."

Natasha smiled meekly.

"Does that make any difference?" She asked, her voice small.

Lucy gave her a firm nod.

"Yes." She decided. "You told me so."

_____
__________
_______________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 317 41
Picking up after the fight with Killian aboard the Norco, Izzy has fully retired from SHIELD, now living and working with Tony, at the tower. She was...
12K 750 93
BOOK 4 of the ORPHIC Series DISENTHRALL /ˌdisənˈTHrôl/ set free. ~~~~~ When Lucille 'Lucy'...
638K 19.3K 74
𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙬𝙤 𝘼𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙪𝙜𝙜𝙡𝙚, 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙚, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙤𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧. [Wanda Maximoff x Reader] • • BOOK 1 ➤ Age of Ul...
7.2K 471 26
𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 ❝ there is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself. ❞ SHE ASK...