[ 22 ]

_______________
__________
_____

D I S S E N S I O N

22

"Power is neither good nor evil, but its user makes it so

"Power is neither good nor evil, but its user makes it so."

Ohio, America
October, 2015

LUCY'S EYES FLICKED TO THE full length mirror in front of her. She sighed at the excessiveness of her dress, the silver lining glistening in the light, layers of silk circling together to meet her waist and drape over her shoulders. The only satisfaction she had from the mounds of fabric was the fact she could wear combat boots beneath with no one ever realizing it.

You look absolutely ravishing, Midgardian. Hela's voice echoed and Lucy's grip tightened around the fabric at her waist.

She hadn't heard her voice in a long time, though she often had random quips to give. Her fear of Hela had diminished overtime at a slow, but consistent rate. It was still an emotion that was present and Hela seemed to be trying everything to make the feeling go away completely. Lucy didn't know if that was possible because she was always afraid of the unknown.

She glanced back as the door to the room creaked open. Klause stepped inside with several briefcases balanced between his hands. He carefully stepped in front of the large bed at the center, placing each briefcase an inch away from each other. There were six, each filled with a million dollars in cash.

Lucy had left D.C with Klause as soon as their meeting at the cafe came to an end. She had enough trust in him to know he wouldn't drive her anywhere near a HYDRA base. He was here to help, and Lucy would take any efforts he had to give. It took them a day's worth of time to arrive in Henry's Ohio lodging—She made sure to avoid the house currently occupied by Karpov.

It took Lucy dozens of hours to learn the inner workings of the unnecessarily complicated watch adorning her wrist. Klause also informed her of everything Henry had organized and just how many people worked for him.

Lucy knew Henry's connections were. . .extensive, to say the least. But she hadn't expected him to be working with the literal FBI, MI6 and FSB. She had absolutely no idea that he was a significant figure of the Sicilian Mafia, the Mob in Chicago and Triads in China—all indirectly of course, making him more of an untraceable shadow than anything else.

She didn't dwell too much on the fact she was supposed to be in charge of criminal activity. That was bad, wasn't it? Morally and legally? Lucy didn't want to be a criminal. She didn't want to kill people for business. She would have to instill new policies on underground crime, but that would mean less income for Henry—well her, she supposed, and more spending.