[ 64 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

64

"She was powerful, not because she wasn't scared, but because she went on so strongly despite the fear

"She was powerful, not because she wasn't scared, but because she went on so strongly despite the fear."

???, Hungary
May, 2016

LUCY LEANED HER LIPS AGAINST her bottle of beer, looking at Yelena as she pressed at her wound experimentally. Natasha shook her head at her, a scolding look forming on her face. She took a long sip as her eyes flitted away from the younger blonde, gazing down at the cracked glass of her watch. She placed her bottle of beer down, running her thumb against the surface.

A part of her wanted to give Klause the watch back, let him take it to Henry and bust the man out of prison. Then Lucy wouldn't have to deal with all the impatient messages bomboarding the watch, heating up every half second to alert her of a new text—no one had the guts to call her, and no one was allowed to anyway.

Except for Matteo, of course, but he was a special case.

Lucy turned her gaze to the children playing in front of the gas station and the open mechanics shop, kicking a ball back and forth with laughs and giggles. She shut her eyes, pressing her thumb against her watch again as she imagined the sound of her own child's voice.

The thought was immediately followed by bitter acceptance. She would never be able to hear that child's voice, because HYDRA had taken that cruelly away from her.

Henry had taken that from her.

"So, do you still work for him?"

Lucy snapped her head up, looking at Yelena again.

"What?" She asked softly.

Yelena gave her an unimpressed look as she waved a hand at her arm. It didn't take a genius for her to realize she was waving to the watch connected to her wrist. Lucy shifted the metal, self-conscious.

She cleared her throat.

"Not exactly." Lucy said quietly.

Yelena's brows furrowed.

"But you have his watch." She replied.

Lucy felt the weight of Natasha's gaze. She'd never told her how, exactly, she'd obtained the piece of technology adorned to her wrist. She didn't think it had been very important to mention, but Natasha did seem surprised by Yelena's pointed statement.

She exhaled, twisting the watch again.

"I do." She agreed softly—she grasped her bottle of beer, swirling it. "He gave me his place in an international crime syndicate."