[ 70 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

70

"I'll make a deal with you

"I'll make a deal with you. I'll never disappoint you, if you never disappoint me."

Berlin, Germany
June, 2016

LUCY ADJUSTED HER POLICE HAT, pulling it tightly over her head before adjusting her sleeves. She unzipped the jacket, feeling suffocated by the navy uniform as she shoved her hands into her pockets. 'Justiz' was written three times in three various parts of the uniform, and Lucy couldn't help but think it was a bit excessive. But who was she to judge when she'd worn a white sleeve on one of her arms for decades on end.

She sighed at her own thoughts, rolling her eyes.

Honestly, her decision to come to the prison with the intent to actually enter the prison field was a last minute thing. She'd come at the worst time, and wasn't allowed to visit, no matter what excuses she made up. So she pulled Chief Heinrich to the side and he gave her a fresh uniform, sneaking her into the faculty bathroom to change.

She gave him a rolled bundle of euros, ignoring the way his face lit up greedily.

Lucy had money, and money controlled the Chief in a blink of an eye. SHe had him wrapped around her finger, whether he liked it or not, and the thought really disgusted her; how desperate did someone have to be in order to become someone who was more-than-wealthy? He was already being paid a heavy sum for being Chief of police for goodness sake.

She tied the belt to her uniform, giving herself one lookover in the bathroom mirror. She decided if Henry didn't recognize her now, then he was an absolute idiot. She slipped out of the bathroom with a black backpack in hand, plump and round like a goddamn peach with all of her clothes shoved into it. She walked down the hall, nodding at other police officers in greeting.

She walked towards the prison yard entrance, where Heinrich stood with his arms crossed, looking down at his watch every few seconds. She fidgeted with her own watch, the cracked surface of the glass replaced by a brand new one.

He looked up when she appeared and she gave him a tentative smile.

"Where is he, usually?" She asked as he handed her a temporary badge.

She examined the photo of a young woman with dark hair, before clipping it to her chest-pocket.

"On the white benches." Heinrich said. "Underneath the shade tents near the end."

Lucy gave him a nod of understanding.

He pushed open the door to the entrance and Lucy gave him a thankful look. The door shut behind her and she showed her badge without looking at the camera. The door in front of her buzzed and she stepped forwards, pushing it open.