[ Ω ]

_______________
__________
_____

E P I L O G UE

P R O L O G U E
T O
B O O K 4: D I S E N T H R A L L

Ω

"A storm was coming, but that was not what I smelled

"A storm was coming, but that was not what I smelled. It was adventure on the wind, and it shivered down my spine."

Brooklyn, New York
June, 2024

JAMES PICKED UP A CONTAINER of pasta, eyeing the box. He read the nutrition information, stared, then shrugged and tossed it into the cart. He ran a hand through his hair, his locks cut short. Lucy huffed, looking over to see what he'd thrown in. She decided it was probably something they needed, leaning back to straighten.

She pushed the cart forwards as James walked beside her.

Lucy's hair was dyed completely black, the tips dipped in a blonde hue. She adjusted the fanny pack crossing her shoulder, the loops around her white shirt keeping it in place. She'd adjusted to wearing things she actually liked, while James dressed for comfort.

He liked the soft fluff of sweaters as much as he loved his leather jacket, taking it with him wherever they went. He looked just like he did in 1943, before HYDRA, though his eyes carried the same heavy weight.

They looked different–they felt different, too.

Alpine meowed as she walked beside them.

She was wearing a service-cat vest, with multiple "Do Not Pet" warnings. It was nice, because the vest also kindly requested people to not get too close. Dr. Raynor had been a great help towards finding a place Alpine could train, while also allowing the pair to be there. The therapist wasn't a kind person, not really, but she knew when to give a helping hand.

Steve had officially announced his retirement amongst his friends, asking them for a small little favor. When the government officials came to the rebuilt compound, no one had mentioned where Steve had gone, nor the fact he was living on a quaint little farm, hidden by holographic pixels. Lucy was glad he wasn't forcing himself to fight anymore, especially when he was starting to despise it.

It was good for him, really good, if not for the radio silence coming from Sam, who should've been announced Captain America by now.

Lucy didn't want to pressure him either, however, so she kept to herself. Besides, it had taken her a good few months to recover fully, taking the time to familiarize herself with her odd abilities.

"We have the alcohol." An amused voice announced, and Lucy rolled her eyes at the enthusiasm.

Jack held out two boxes of beer, his lips tilted upwards in one of his rare smiles. James beamed at him, grasping the drinks from his hands and placing it in the cart.