[ 87 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S E L C O U T H

87

"Never forget who was there when you needed them

"Never forget who was there when you needed them."

Soul Stone
???

THE AIR WAS REMARKABLY awkward, if not stressful. Lucy remained positioned besides James to help him balance, while the HYDRA agents stood amongst each other with crossed arms. They stood idly, bored but intrigued as the man with the cape—Doctor Strange—stood across from them. The spider kid stayed next to T'Challa, Wanda and the tree creature.

Strangely, that wasn't the most peculiar thing she'd ever seen before. Besides, Doctor Strange had just explained the entire situation with the most serious expression on his face.

Lucy wished he was joking–half the population snapped out of existence?–but it was evident he wasn't.

"So, we're supposed to be at a truce right now?" Lucy started slowly, her voice mixed with disbelief. "For the sake of what—to explore the soul stone?"

Doctor Strange nodded.

Agent Marks barked a laugh.

"What, do you hate me that much, Verfall?" He leered at her and she narrowed her eyes.

He pulled back triumphantly when she said nothing, but it was enough of a distraction. She lunged at him, grabbing the back of his throat and slamming him into the ground. He toppled, collapsing forwards with a shout of surprise. Lucy flipped him over with ease, slamming her fist into his face. His nose popped with a satisfying crunch and her lips curled upwards.

He cried out, grasping his nose with wide eyes. Rage filled his gaze first, and Lucy felt her entire body stiffen, but there was a sudden sweep of fear that made her confused. He was—afraid of her?

The fear was gone in an instant as he hooked his leg around hers.

She was vaguely aware of James shouting while Doctor Strange and T'Challa tried to somehow intervene. The spider-boy and the alien-people stayed back, wary of the violence.

Agent Marks flipped them around and Lucy shook the confusion out of her eyes. She was rusty, weak from not fighting. She clenched her jaw, her strength far stronger than the agent's as she wrenched her wrists out from his grip. She moved to land another punch when a loud clearing of someone's throat caught her attention.

Agent Marks glanced up as well, his expression whitening by the newcomer.

Lucy kicked him off of her, jumping to her feet with an annoyed glance.