[ 72 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

72

"And I was never sure whether you were the lighthouse or the storm

"And I was never sure whether you were the lighthouse or the storm."

Wakanda, East Africa
July, 2016

LUCY SIPPED LOUDLY ON HER cup of coffee, giving the holographic screen in front of her a pointed look. The person on the other side huffed indignantly, and Lucy fought the way her lips threatened to turn upwards with amazement. Klause waved away the charts and data of profit made, looking at Lucy with crossed arms, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.

"You did not just claim that Wakandan coffee beats Italian coffee." Klause stated pointedly. "Have you lost your mind, Lucy?"

She let out a soft laugh, placing her coffee cup down on the kitchen counter. She ran her hand over a familiar white coat, Alpine's soft mews echoing in her ears. She thumped her tail against the counter contently, leaning her head against her paws as she yawned.

No one else was awake on the communal floor–Lucy had slept for a good two hours before waking up, her body having been recovered enough. She'd been sleeping nowadays only because her body needed it, but the moment she no longer felt tired she jumped right back onto her feet. There was a part of her that was scared that everything was a dream.

That the moment she shut her eyes and dreamed, she wouldn't wake up in Wakanda. What if–what if she woke up in the Red Room? Sitting in Dreykov's office like the good Weapon she was supposed to be? Or worse, what if this was just some cryostasis induced dream? What if, the moment she went to sleep and dreamed, she'd wake up on a lab table in HYDRA?

She shook her head of the thoughts, blinking any tiredness in her eyes. She subsequently responded to Klause's question, and he gaped at her in horror.

"This is an outrage, Lucy." He said. "Italian coffee is marginally superior–"

Lucy laughed again, cutting him off.

He pouted, lips pursing as he finally did roll his eyes, shaking his head at her. Lucy sobered up at the sight, watching the slight flicker of nerves move across his face. But as fast as it'd appeared, it was gone.

At least one good thing had come from the Red Room–and that was the abundant amount of Black Widows who needed help. Lucy had volunteered Klause for the job and he'd taken it because he couldn't go against what she said, and although that did hurt a little, she was glad she'd made him do it. Because Klause had taught them what it meant to be human. He taught them what it meant to be human and have free will.