Even More Protective Colby

By JaiMcc

Part 3-You know the drill ;) More

Alone
My Little Cheerleader
Something To Protect
Always
The Deal
What Really Happened
Did What I Had To
Nothing Without You
Protect Your Heart
Sam and Colby vs. The World
A/N
Choose Yourself
A/N Please Read!!!
Lost Love
As Long As I'm Around
One True Friend
The Empath
Until The End
Until We Meet Again
Until We Meet Again (Alternate Ending)
Forever Grateful
The Promise
Don't Leave Me
I'll Always Come Back
The Power Of Love
Let Me Love You
Unbreakable
Crazy In Love
Annoucement!
Part 1: No Matter What
Part 2: No Good Deed
Part 3: Everything I Have
MINE
Not This Time
Never Over
Carry On
Brotherly Bond
Riled Up
Stay Close
Best Part Of Me
Onward and Upward
The Beginning Of The End
Whatever It Takes
The Answer
You Don't Know Crazy
Paranoid?
For Love
The Countdown
The Choice
The Consequences
Lingering
Loud And Clear
Under Pressure
Face Your Phobia
At All Costs

A Price Paid

814 10 18
By JaiMcc

***Republish cause I completely forgot to warn my new followers to make sure they've read in Part 1 A Lesson Learned and in Part 3 Nothing Without You of Protective Colby. Older followers will know! Thanks! Enjoy! -JM***

Sam and Colby stepped out of Sam's Tesla.They had just gotten back from an XPLR photoshoot.

"Dude, I'm telling you, this is about to be our best merch drop yet," said Colby excitedly.

"Are we gonna tell the XPLR Club first?" asked Sam.

"I think we should," said Colby, as he stepped onto the porch of their LA home. He looked down as his foot accidentally hit a small package contained in one of those yellow envelopes.

"Huh? What's this?" asked Colby.

" Looks like a package to me," said Sam, unlocking the front door.

" Yea, I can see that ya piece of garbage," laughed Colby. He turned it over in his hands.  "It's addressed to me."

"Who's it from?" asked Sam, as he opened the door and they stepped inside.

" It doesn't say," said Colby. "There's no return address. Maybe a fan?"

Colby tried not to trip as 3 dogs came running up to him when he stepped in the door. Kiwi, Koki and Foxy were having a playdate. Colby's parents had brought them for a surprise visit last time they had come to LA, and Sam and Colby had decided that they could stay for a while.

Colby's dogs were getting old and he wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. It was easier now that 3 of them were living in the house. Since Kat didn't travel as much, she was usually home to take care of them.

" Open it up and see," said Sam.

Colby followed Sam into the kitchen, he placed his keys on the island and slowly tore open the envelope as Sam looked through the fridge for something to eat. Inside the envelope was a note.

"From a friend :)" said the note.

Colby turned it over, and saw there was a phone number written on the back. He shook the envelope as he realized there was something else inside and he poured the contents into his hand.

"Sam..." said Colby. His voice was now serious.

"What's up?" asked Sam, as he looked over at Colby.

Sam's expression turned to panic as he looked at the thing in Colby's hand. Colby stared at it. Then, Colby slowly held up a blue flash drive, looking at it worriedly, and then shot his gaze back to Sam.

Both of them said nothing. They immediately dropped everything and raced to Sam's laptop on the couch in their living room. Colby opened it up and plugged in the flashdrive. There was only one file on the flashdrive. A file titled: COLEBABY <3.

Sam and Colby looked at each other in panic. Colby hesitantly clicked on the file and a video popped up. He hit play. There was a feed in a dark room. They heard an all too familiar chuckle as the video started.

"Hello Colby, did you miss me?" asked Clayborn.

Colby watched the video intently. Sam couldn't tell what the expression on his face was. Sam and Colby heard a muffling sound in the background.

"Oh, where are my manners," said Clayborn. "I forgot to introduce my party guests."

He brought the camera to show Colby's family. They were all tied up and gagged.

"Look at the nice big happy family," said Clayborn.

He panned to the face of Layne Brock, Colby's father. He was gagged and his head was full of blood.

" Here's Daddio," said Clayborn. "You know, he reminds me a lot of you. He's a fighter, he tried to protect them."

Clayborn continued, panning the camera over to the next person. "And here's big bro," said Clayborn, as he showed the scared face of Gage, who had several scratches on his face.

"And of course we have, mommy dearest," said Clayborn. He panned to the terrified face of Lesa Brock. She had tears streaming down her face.

"You have a gorgeous family Colby," said Clayborn. "Be a shame if something...happened to them." Lesa let out a muffled cry as Clayborn used a gun to brush a strand of hair out of her face.Colby gripped the sofa angrily. Now this was personal.

" Think you can save them?" asked Clayborn. "Call me and we can find out."

Then the video ended. Sam was nearly knocked off of his feet as Colby stood up and raced over to his cellphone in the kitchen. His shaky hands quickly dialed the number. He put the phone to his ear, listening as it rang.

" I was expecting your call," laughed Clayborn.

" Look," said Colby. "I will give you whatever you want, do whatever you want, anything. Whatever I have to do to make you not hurt them, please."

" I'm done bargaining with you Colby," said Clayborn. "You know what I want, it's what I've always wanted. You." Colby clutched the phone tightly.

"Would you like to say hi to Mommy?" asked Clayborn.

"You son of a bitch!" said Colby. There was a shuffling sound coming from the other end of the phone.

" Colby," said Lesa. Colby felt like crying as he heard the shaky and terrified voice of his mother.

"Sweetie, listen," said Lesa. " I love you Colby, I love you so much. Do not come to Arizona, whatever happens." Colby flinched as he heard a slap and his mother screamed.

"She ruined the surprise," said Clayborn. "Meet me in Arizona and we'll have a chat, and Colby, I think you know what happens if you try anything." Then the line went dead.

"I need to leave, now," said Colby.

" I'll have us on the next flight to Arizona," said Sam, pulling up info on his phone.

"Good," said Colby. "Wait? What? No Sam!" Colby turned to his best friend. "It's too dangerous, he's after the people closest to me. You'll be directly in the line of fire."

" The Brock's are my family too," argued Sam. "I'm going! Even if I have to hop on a plane right behind yours."

Colby knew there was no arguing with Sam. He watched as Sam went upstairs to start packing. Colby once again took out his phone and dialed a number. He brought it to his ear.

" Hey, it's me," said Colby. " I need a favor."

Sam and Colby landed in Arizona super late. There weren't many people in the airport. Sam and Colby were on high alert, jumping at every little thing. This was one time where they needed to be as careful as possible. The lives of Colby's family were at stake. They carefully stepped outside the Arrival doors of the airport into the night. Colby looked around cautiously. He caught the silhouette of a black van sitting a few feet from the entrance. Sam stepped forward and Colby shot an arm out to stop him.

"Wait," said Colby, as the window to the van slowly rolled down.

"Hey little man, I thought I told you to stay out of trouble," laughed Big J, as he peeked through the window from the driver's seat.

"Hey Big J," said Colby as he and Sam walked over to the van and hopped in.

"Sup, little bro," said Big J. He looked to the blond who slid in next to Colby.  "Sam, always a pleasure."

" Likewise," said Sam.

" Thanks Big J, I owe you one," said Colby.

" You owe him about a million I think," laughed Sam.

" Anytime little bro," said Big J, as he sped off. " I wouldn't come all the way to Arizona for just anyone. But you, you're family. I called a couple of my guys here, they set up a base a couple miles out. You two should be safe there."

"How many guys do you have?" asked Sam.

Big J laughed. " Probably best I don't tell ya," he said.

They quietly sped down the road. Arizona seemed almost deserted at night. Big J looked into the rearview mirror at the two boys sitting in the back of his van.

"You two alright?" asked Big J. "You seem jumpy."

" I think it would be better to talk about everything back at your base," said Sam. "What do you think Colby?" Colby?" Colby had completely toned Sam out. He was too focused on the side mirror.

"What's up?" asked Big J.

"That car has been following us ever since we left the airport," explained Colby.

Sam turned to look behind him and out the window. "Seems harmless to me," he said.

"I don't like it," said Colby.

All three of them were so fixated on the car behind them that they neglected to notice the one coming straight for them. They had no time to react as another car slammed into the side of their van. Big J's black van flipped in several circles, and eventually came to a rickety stop. Colby slowly opened his eyes, adjusting his vision, he looked to the driver's seat. Big J was bleeding and out cold. His vision became blurry as he looked beside him at Sam.

" Colby," said Sam weakly.

"Sam," responded Colby with a cough.

Colby's vision was still blurry but he heard someone open Sam's door. He was able to make out some silhouettes as they reached over and undid Sam's seatbelt, they seemed almost frantic. Was it the cops? Then Colby's vision fully adjusted and he hadn't even tuned into Sam screaming his name.

"Colby!!" said Sam, as he was being dragged out of the wrecked van by two men. Clayborn's men. "No! No! Colby!"

"Sam? Sam!" said Colby.

He ached all over, but he reached his hand out to Sam. Sam attempted to reach his hand towards Colby. Their fingertips brushed against each other, but Sam was pulled from the van, struggling and screaming. Colby heard the sound of a car door slamming and speeding off and he saw the blurry form of headlights getting further and further away as he finally lost consciousness.

Colby's eyes fluttered open, he didn't know where he was. He immediately shot up with a gasp. He was in bed. He suddenly felt a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Woah, woah, it's okay little man," said Big J. "Take it easy." He was covered in bandages.

" Sam?" said Colby, attempting to stand.

"He wasn't in the car Colby," explained Big J. "When I woke up, he was gone and you were unconscious. I had to carry you back to the base on foot."

"They took him!" said Colby. "We have to find him." Colby bolted past Big J, and stumbled. He steadied himself on the wall, his hand flying to his pounding head, which had a bandage.

" Little man, you're in no position to help Sam if you can barely stand," explained Big J. "Have a seat and we'll figure something out."

Big J helped Colby back to the bed and sat him down just as some more of Big J's crew filed into the room.

"This is our base," said Big J. He gestured to one of his other crew members that just walked in. "This is Tiny, he used to study medicine and First Aid back in the day. You got banged up pretty bad but he fixed you up good." Colby shot him a look of gratitude.

"Now, you wanna tell us what's going on?" asked Big J.

Colby explained the whole situation, Big J and his crew listened intently. "So, it's that bastard again, huh?" said Big J.

"I don't get it," said Tiny. " He could've taken you too, why didn't he?"

"It's all a game to him," explained Colby. "He wants me to come and find them, it's part of the game. My mom helped me by revealing that they were in Arizona, but that's all I've got."

"What about the flashdrive?" asked Big J.

"What do you mean?" asked Colby.

"Are there any clues on it?" asked Big J.

" No, it's just the video," said Colby.

" But maybe there are clues in the video," said Big J. "You said he's playing a game with you right? He wants you to figure stuff out, that's the perfect place to hide something."

" How do you know that?" asked Colby.

" I know how guys like him work," answered Big J. " That's what I would do too. I know it's hard for you to watch. We can look through it for you, it's no problem."

" No, it's okay," said Colby. " I want to help."

Big J brought Colby a laptop and he plugged in the flashdrive. As the video played, all of Big J and his crew watched curiously, looking for anything that might help.

"Wait, wait," said Big J. " Go back a couple seconds." Colby rewinded the video slowly, looking at Big J and then back to the screen.

"Right there, stop!" said Big J.

He was pointing to a family photo that he had seen in the background of the video. Colby hadn't seen it the first time for obvious reasons, he had been too focused on everything else. Colby zoomed in.

" That's my family photo," said Colby. "That son of a bitch is at my house!" Colby furiously slammed the laptop shut.

Colby's phone began to ring. He didn't even need to look at the number. He knew who it was. He furiously answered the call.

"You should really take better care of Sam," said Clayborn. " Getting to him was almost too easy."

"Where is he?" asked Colby firmly.

" I think you know exactly where he is," said Clayborn. "Why don't you come on over Colby. Your family would love to see you."

The line went dead. Colby sat on the bed, his head in his hands. Big J placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

" I knew Sam shouldn't have come," said Colby. " I knew it'd be too dangerous."

"He's your best friend, of course he was gonna come." said Big J. "If there's one thing I know about you two, you'd do anything for each other. Doesn't mean any of this is your fault."

"Clayborn is doing all of this because he's after me," explained Colby. "And if that's what he wants, I'll give myself over to him."

" You can't do that," said Big J.

" It's the only way to save them," said Colby, looking back at Big J.

"How do we know he hasn't killed them already?" asked Tiny.

"Tiny! What the hell man?" said Big J.

"Sorry," said Tiny, raising his hands defensively. "I just don't want the little man walking into a trap is all."

"He won't kill them, not yet," explained Colby. " He wants me to be there."

" You know if you want some backup, you've got it," said Big J. His crew stepped up behind him.

"No, I won't let anyone else get hurt or be put in danger because of me," said Colby. " I need to do this by myself. If he finds out I brought anyone else, he won't hesitate to kill them all."

Colby pulled up beside his family home. It was late and to the unknowing eye, it seemed as if no one was home, but Colby knew different. He slowly stepped out of his car and made his way up to his front door. He placed his hand on the knob, hesitant to turn it. He knew he was probably walking into a trap, but he didn't care. Colby heard the loud click as he swung the door open.

Colby's house was dark and quiet. He stepped in, closing the door behind him, not taking his eyes off the hall in the foyer. He carefully made his way down the hall, turning the corner into the living room. When he did, he saw his entire family tied up and gagged. His mother and father tied to chairs and his brother on his knees in front of him. Both of his parents had one of Clayborn's men standing behind them. Colby saw the look of sadness in his mothers eyes as she looked up and saw him. Tears streamed down her face. Clayborn then stepped out of the shadows.

" The happy family is finally back together," said Clayborn.

"I'm here," said Colby. "Let them go."

" But the party has just begun," said Clayborn, " and we have one last game to play."

" I'm done playing your games," said Colby. "Let. Them. Go."

Clayborn took a gun out from his jacket and pointed it at Colby's mother, clicking the safety.

" Alright, you win!" said Colby. Shooting his hands out defensively. " What do I have to do?"

"First, give me the knife," said Clayborn.

"How did...?" asked Colby.

" You take me for a fool?" asked Clayborn. "Hand it over!"

Colby took the knife that Big J had given him out of his pocket and handed it over.

Clayborn smiled evilly, he stepped out of the room and into the kitchen and dragged the struggling form of Sam into the living room. Colby could see he was still bleeding from the crash and had probably been beaten more after that.

Clayborn placed Sam on his knees next to Gage. He removed their gags. He then took out his gun and placed it in Colby's hand and stood behind him.Colby saw the two men standing behind his parents also take out guns.

"Here's what's going to happen," said Clayborn. " You're going to shoot one of them in the head." Clayborn pointed to where Sam and Gage were kneeling in front of Colby.

"What!" said Colby. "No!"

" Let me rephrase that," said Clayborn. "Either you shoot one of them, or I kill your parents." Clayborn's men pointed their guns straight at his mother and father's head.

"What is the point of this?" asked Colby.

"It's the ultimate ultimatum, so to speak," said Clayborn, circling Colby like prey. " The decision that will truly break you."

Colby looked back and forth at both of them. He shut his eyes, clenching the gun in his hands.

"I can't," said Colby.

"Then are you ready to watch your parents die?" asked Clayborn.

"Stop this,please," said Colby.

"Do it, Colby," said Clayborn. "Who's it going to be, your brother or your best friend? Choose!"

Colby looked down at the gun in his hand. He shook his head.

"This is what happens when you cross me," said Clayborn, " and now, you have to sacrifice someone you care about. Tell me Colby, was it worth it?"

" Look, just kill me," said Colby. " You said that's what you wanted, so do it."

" No, not yet," said Clayborn. " First, I want you broken. I want you to die knowing you could've prevented this, all you had to do was walk away, but you just couldn't do it. That's what makes you weak, you have a conscience, I don't, and that's why I win. I always win."

"Please," pleaded Colby.

" Your time is growing short," said Clayborn. "I'm showing you mercy by letting you choose, I could've chosen for you. You cost me everything and now it's going to cost you more than you will ever know. This is the price you pay for your interference, all because you care!"

Tears filled Colby's eyes. He couldn't do it. He wouldn't, but what choice did he have? Clayborn had planned it this way, he knew that either way Colby would lose someone he cared about, no matter what choice he made.

Colby was lost in thought, thinking about how stupid he had been back in Florida, picking up that flashdrive. Clayborn was right, it was his fault. He could've prevented all of this, had he just walked away.

" Colby," said Sam. Colby's head shot up, bringing him out of his head and back to the present situation. He looked at Sam .

"It's okay," said Sam. " You can choose me."

"Sam, No!" said Gage. "We'll find a way."

"Colby, look at me," said Sam. Colby looked at him with tear-filled eyes "It's okay."

" Don't listen to him Colby," said Gage. " You don't have to do this."

" I do have too," said Colby, as tears streamed down his face.

"It's okay, you have to protect your family," said Sam. " I understand. I would never expect you to do anything less."

"You're my family too," said Colby.

" Then let me do this for you," said Sam.

Colby slowly stepped up to Sam, reluctantly raising the gun and pointing it at Sam's head.

"Colby! Don't!" shouted Gage.

Tears streamed down Colby's face as he looked into his best friend's eyes.

" How touching, I remember you said you were nothing without Sam, so let's see what's left of you after he's gone" said Clayborn, looming behind Colby. " Now, pull the trigger. Kill him. Let him die knowing in the end, you couldn't save him."

Colby's finger grazed the trigger, he was ready to pull it. "I'm sorry," he said.

Sam smiled at him as tears streamed down his face. "Don't be," said Sam. "It's okay. I forgive you."

Sam shut his eyes tightly, ready to brace for the impact. Colby looked around the room and he discreetly looked at the ticking clock on the wall. His time was running out, if it didn't happen soon, Colby would have to think of something and fast. Any minute now.

"C'mon," thought Colby.

Colby quickly shielded his eyes as an explosion rang out. The wall on the other side of the room erupted in flames. Clayborn's men dove aside, knocked out as flames erupted and shrapnel flew, barely missing his parents. 

Startling Clayborn with the explosion gave Colby the upper hand he needed to take him out, he quickly punched him in the face, knocking him out cold. He quickly retrieved his knife and raced over to his parents, he removed their gags. He used the knife to cut the ropes. He then freed Sam and his brother. Outside, Big J looked at the fiery remains of the propane tank he had rigged to explode. 

"That'll get the cops here," said Big J, as he shielded his eyes and made his way back around to the front of the house to find Colby.

"We have to go now!" said Colby, as the fire from the explosion grew bigger and higher, catching onto curtains and furniture.

One entire side of the wall was going up in flames. Colby helped his parents, his brother and Sam to the door. On their way out, a pile of flames nearly caught them as it caught onto more of the wall. The flames were spreading fast.

Colby kicked the door off of its hinges. Smoke and fire were coming through the windows. He ushered his parents and his brother out, and then Sam. Colby tried to follow behind Sam, but strong arms wrapped around his neck into a chokehold.

"If I go down, you're coming with me," said Clayborn, as he dragged Colby back into the house, which was now covered in flames.

Colby's family raced to the sidewalk and far from the house. Big J was there to greet them.

"Get in!" said Big J. "I'm a friend of your son's."

"You can trust him," said Sam.

They began to make their way into the car as Lesa saw Colby and Clayborn in the door.

"Colby," she screamed. She tried to get out of the car, but Big J held her back.

Sam instead raced past them towards the house. " Sam, No!" shouted Big J.

Clayborn dragged Colby back into his living room, the entire room hot from the flames. Colby coughed from the smoke, and he tried to shake Clayborn off of him, throwing him against the wall. Clayborn reached into Colby' s pocket, pulling out the knife and attempting to slash Colby's throat. Colby managed to break free of his grasp and turned to face Clayborn, the knife in Clayborn's hand.

Clayborn dipped the blade into the flames near him. Colby and Clayborn sized each other up in the burning house, waiting to see who would be brave enough to strike first. Colby watched him like a hawk, and Colby was prepared when Clayborn lunged towards him. Colby barely dodged the knife, he groaned in pain as it grazed his arm, blood coming from the slash.

Colby had let his guard down only a second and that was enough for Clayborn to plunge the knife into Colby's shoulder. Colby stumbled back, screaming in pain and ripped the knife from his shoulder, using his other hand to punch Clayborn, but Clayborn caught his fist mid air and threw him to the ground, kicking him in his ribs. Colby groaned and Clayborn watched as he gasped for air, slowly trying to crawl away.

"I wonder what will kill you first?" asked Clayborn. " The smoke inhalation or the blood loss!"

Clayborn had been so focused on Colby, he hadn't noticed Sam coming for him. Sam ran into Clayborn, knocking him off balance. Sam punched him square in the face, sending Clayborn through a pile of flames and onto the ground. Clayborn screamed in agony as he fell into the flames.

"Sam!" coughed Colby weakly.

Sam quickly rushed to Colby's side, helping him up. He coughed as the smoke grew thicker.

"Colby! Are you okay?" asked Sam, helping him up. He threw Colby's arm over his shoulder.

"Yea, I'm good!" said Colby, as he leaned his weight on Sam. His other arm was slumped to the side as blood seeped from his shoulder. 

Both of them were coughing as the smoke filled the whole house.They carefully rushed back towards the door when suddenly Colby stopped with a gasp. His eyes were wide. Sam looked at him concerned.

"What? Colby, what is it?" asked Sam.

Colby turned to look at Sam, and Sam looked down at the patch of red beginning to form in Colby's shirt. Blood! Neither of them had noticed that Clayborn had got up, nor had they seen him pull out his gun or heard him pull the trigger.

Colby grasped Sam's shoulders as he looked at him, stumbled and Sam caught him as he fell, laying him down on the floor. The gunshot wound in Colby's stomach now seeping red onto the floor.

"Colby! Colby, stay with me," said Sam panicking.

Colby couldn't speak, his eyes simply locked with Sam's, his breathing growing short. Sam attempted to help Colby but he was dragged by his shirt by Clayborn, who threw him hard against the wall of the house, which they were sure would collapse at any moment.

Sam attempted to fight back, but he was growing weak from the smoke, and Colby could do nothing but watch helplessly. Sam was thrown to the floor on his stomach right next to Colby. Colby attempted to speak to him, but couldn't. Clayborn pushed Sam's face into the floor with his foot, keeping him pinned against the hot floor. Sam groaned and struggled beneath him.

" I am through, screwing around!" said Clayborn, his face covered with ashes and burns. He looked at Colby and laughed evilly.  "This seems fitting, doesn't it? I think watching your best friend die while you bleed out on the floor of your burning home is the perfect end to our story. The perfect price to pay for everything you cost me! Say Goodbye!"

Colby had turned his head to look at Sam, who was staring back at him and he watched as Clayborn placed the barrel of the gun against Sam's head. Sam flinched as he heard the gunshot ring out through the house, and then he watched Clayborn stumble and fall back, collapsing dead on the floor beside him.

Blood seeped from the bullet wound in Clayborn's head and onto the floor beside Sam. Sam weakly turned to look behind him, and saw Big J with the smoking gun. Big J said nothing. He simply put the gun back into his belt and grabbed Sam. The house was seconds away from collapsing.

"Wait! No! What about Colby?" asked Sam. Big J ignored him. Instead, he scooped Sam up gently in his arms and pulled him out of the house.

Sam struggled against him. "No! Wait! Please," said Sam.

Earlier....

"No, I won't let anyone else get hurt or be put in danger because of me," said Colby. " I need to do this by myself. If he finds out I brought anyone else, he won't hesitate to kill them all. So we need to be smart about this. We can't strike until we're absolutely sure it's the right time."

"You got it," said Big J. "What's the layout of your house?" They all quickly gathered around the table, looking at the rough sketch Colby had made.

"Well, from where they're positioned in the video, it looks as if they're in the living room, which is here," explained Colby, pointing to the rough sketch he had made. "Our propane tank is outside the house, right near that wall, but it's easily moveable. Think you have the equipment to pull this off?"

" We definitely do, but it's risky, " said Big J. "Are you sure about this?"

" Yea, it'll work," said Colby. "My family and I have prepared for this scenario countless times. We'll be fine, I promise. If we're not out in 10 minutes, do it. I'll handle the rest. Also, I need you to promise me something."

"What?" asked Big J.

" If it comes down to saving either them or me," said Colby, " promise me that you'll choose them. No matter what!"

Big J hesitated. "I give you my word," he said.

"Ok, then let's do this," said Colby.

Colby watched as Big J kept his promise. He could faintly hear Sam calling his name, but his vision was getting blurry. His breaths were short and his eyes fluttered shut as he gave in, but not before watching his house collapse around him, before his eyes shut completely.

Sam's eyes slowly fluttered open. He sat up slowly, groaning in pain. He felt a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Oh sweetie, thank god!" said Cindy, as she gently hugged Sam.

"Mom?" asked Sam.

" Lesa called us," said Cindy. " Ben, Ally and your father went to get some food, they'll be back soon. They'll be glad to see that you're awake."

" How long was I out?" asked Sam.

" You and Colby have both been out about 3 days," explained Cindy.

" Colby!" said Sam. " Is he okay?"

" He's still in a coma," explained Cindy, " but he's stable."

"Can I see him?" asked Sam.

"Let's get you taken care of first," said Cindy.

Sam nodded. He settled back against the pillow of the hospital bed. His family had been very happy to see him. Sam had stayed in bed another few days before the doctors decided he was okay to be up and walking around on his own.

Sam stopped outside of Colby's hospital room, which was a few doors down from his. He was a bit scared to go in.

" We're gonna head back to the hotel," said Cindy. " If you need anything, just call us, okay honey?"

" I will," said Sam. "Bye mom. I love you."

" Love you too, sweetie," replied Cindy.

Sam stepped up to the doorway of the hospital room, all of Colby's family were sitting in chairs, gathered around him, waiting. They were all covered in bandages and other dressings to cover and treat their wounds and burns. Layne shot his gaze to Sam as he stood in the doorway. Lesa, who was closest to Colby, holding his hand, looked behind her.

" Sam," said Lesa. She sent him a small smile. She got up to hug him. " I'm glad you're okay. Your friend Big J just missed you. He said he had to take care of a couple things, but he'll be back. He'll be glad to know you're okay. Come in."

Sam stepped up to Colby's bed. He was hooked up to several machines. He had several bandages all over. His face was slowly healing from the burns he had received and the gunshot wound had been patched and his shoulder had been dressed.

Sam hated seeing Colby like this. He stayed in that room with Colby's family the entire day. While Layne and Gage had decided to return back to the hotel, Lesa had stayed behind and Sam had stayed with her, both of them refusing to leave Colby's side. Sam wanted to break the awkward silence. He knew it must be hard for Colby's family to see Sam recovering and not Colby, even if they were too kind to say anything about it.

"I spoke to my parents," said Sam, " and if you guys need a place to stay while everything is being repaired, the Golbach door is always open in Kansas. Just thought it might be more comfortable than a hotel."

Lesa smiled at him. " I know," she said. " Thank you, but we'd rather stay here. That way, Gage can still go to school, be close to his friends and everything. Layne can stay close to his job, and we can all be close to Colby. We'll make it work."

Sam nodded to her, he respected their decision. He'd wanna be close to home as well.

A month. For a month, Colby's family and Sam's had been in and out of the hospital, hoping and praying for Colby to make progress, but everyday he remained the same, clinging to life. Sam had refused to return back to LA or Kansas until he knew for certain that Colby was okay. So he remained with Colby's family. The doctors weren't sure if and when he would ever wake up, they said now it was up to Colby to fight and that if he wanted to wake up, he would.

It was late into the night and Lesa had fallen asleep next to Colby. Sam couldn't sleep, so he went to the hospital lobby. He needed some time to think. He had only been up a few minutes when someone handed him a cup of coffee.

" You can't sleep either?" asked Lesa.

" No," said Sam.

Both of them sat in silence, sipping on their coffee. Lesa looked at Sam lovingly.

" Sam, everything you did back there, for us, for him," she started. " I don't think I'll ever be able to repay you for that, or show you how grateful we are."

" You don't have to," said Sam. " I know he would've done the same for me." Lesa smiled and nodded her head.

"He's always made it his sole mission to protect the people he cares about," said Sam. " It's something we should all live by, and I hope you know that if I could switch places with him, I would."

" I don't want that," said Lesa. " I'd never want that, and neither would he, but I do know that if the situation was reversed, Colby would've said the exact same thing."

Sam agreed. "Yea, he would've," he said. " He wouldn't have left my side."

Lesa smiled at him. "You know, he's changed so much since he met you," she explained. " In a good way. Before highschool, he never really cared about others the way he does now. I think I have you to thank for that." Sam smiled back at her.

" He cares about you so much," explained Lesa, " even if he doesn't always show it, and I know because of that, he would want me to tell you."

"Tell me what?" asked Sam.

" Layne and Gage and I," started Lesa, " we've been talking and we've made the decision to take Colby off the life support."

Sam looked at her shocked. "Wait? What?!" he said. "Why? Have you seriously lost faith in him?"

"Sam, I know you're upset, but it's not your decision to make," said Lesa sternly. "You're not his family." Sam looked at her shocked. Lesa had realized what she just said.  " Sam...I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

" No, it's okay," said Sam, resting a hand on her back. " I'm sorry, you're right. It's your call."

Lesa had tears in her eyes. "It's been almost 5 weeks," she explained, " and it's been so hard, seeing him like that, not knowing if he'll ever..." Lesa couldn't finish her sentence.

"I know," said Sam. He'd be lying if he said it wasn't hard for him too.

"I'm sorry, but my mind is made up," said Lesa sadly.

" I understand. I know the decision must've been hard and I could never ask you to change your mind, or to try and reconsider." said Sam. " All I'm asking you, is to give it one more day."

"Sam-," started Lesa.

" Please?" said Sam. Lesa looked into Sam's pleading eyes. She nodded her head.

" Okay," said Lesa. "One more day, but just one."

" Thank you," said Sam.

The next day, Sam walked into Colby's hospital room again. Colby's family had left him alone to say his final goodbye. He sat in the chair next to Colby and gently took his hand. He looked at Colby, almost lifeless in the bed. The sound of the beeping from monitors being the only sound in the room.

" Colby," started Sam. " I don't know if you can hear me, but it's Sam. I wanted to say thank you, for what you did. Always thinking of others instead of yourself, typical Colby." Sam laughed.

"I just came to say goodbye," continued Sam, " and to let you know that if you're hanging on because of them, because of me, that you don't have to. You can let go now. You've protected us your whole life, but you don't have to anymore." Sam had tears streaming down his face.

"We'll be okay," said Sam, " and if you want to go, you can go."

Sam shut his eyes tight as the tears streamed down his face. He lowered his head as the tears kept coming, still clutching Colby's hand.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Colby.

Sam's head shot up. "Colby?" asked Sam.

Colby's bright blue eyes looked back at him. " You didn't really think I'd die without you, did you?" asked Colby.

Sam smiled happily, still crying. " You piece of garbage," he said jokingly, as he gently hugged Colby.

A miracle was the only way Colby's family could describe it. Lesa had thanked Sam for asking them to wait one more day. Sam honestly didn't know how he knew that Colby would wake up, he had just known. He had felt it in his heart.

A few days later, Sam and Colby were both discharged from the hospital. Colby stood in front of the charred space of where his family home had been. The bodies had been removed long ago. Colby stood in silence, still covered in bandages. Big J stepped up next to him.

" You're a fighter, little man," said Big J.

" I wasn't gonna let that bastard win," said Colby.

"I'm sorry about your house," said Big J.

" You saved my family," said Colby. " That matters more to me than anything." Big J nodded to him.

" So, what's next for you?" asked Colby.

"Actually, I've been offered a position," explained Big J.

" Where?" asked Colby.

"Florida Police Department," said Big J.

" Wow," said Colby. " That's amazing. Are you gonna accept?"

" I think I might," said Big J. "Figured I could change some things over there. Maybe teach them some new stuff. Help them be better."

"How do you think the crew is gonna take it?" asked Colby.

" They'll understand," said Big J happily. " Tiny is young, but he's ready to step up, be a leader. But let's get one thing straight."

Colby looked curiously at Big J. " I better not catch you trespassing on none of my properties," said Big J, smiling.

Colby chuckled lightly. "Promise," said Colby. He stuck out his hand to shake Big J's.

"Thank you for everything, Big J," said Colby.

Big J returned the gesture. " Call me Joe," said Big J.

Colby nodded his head as he shook Big J's hand. Big J turned to leave just as Sam walked over to join Colby. Big J nodded to Sam as he walked by. Sam stopped next to Colby.

" Is it over?" asked Sam.

" Yea, it's over," said Colby. Colby looked at Sam before he continued. " Sam I-,"

" I know Colby,"  Sam interrupted, " and you don't have to say anything. You were forced to make an impossible decision, there's no one to blame here."

Colby looked at Sam and then wrapped his arms around Sam bringing him into a loving hug.

" I love you, Sam," said Colby, hugging his best friend tightly.

" I love you too," said Sam, happily returning the gesture.

Sam and Colby joined Big J and Colby's family. "I gave your parents my number," said Big J. " If you folks ever need anything, you call me."

"Thank you," said Layne as he put his arm around Lesa.

Big J looked at Colby. " You've got a hell of a son here," said Big J.

Lesa and Colby smiled at each other. She brought him in close and hugged him lovingly

" Alright, I'm out," said Big J, waving goodbye to Colby and his family. They all waved goodbye as Big J left.

Lesa hugged Colby tighter. " My beautiful boy," she said. " Don't ever scare me like that again."

" I won't, I promise," said Colby, " and I'll never let anything like this happen to you guys, ever again. I'll be more careful."

" Careful isn't living in the moment," said Lesa. " I'd never want you to stop doing what you love because of us."

" When it comes to doing what I love or protecting what I love, then I choose you guys." Colby looked at his family and then looked at Sam.

"I choose you guys every time," said Colby.

Colby's family gathered around him, pulling him and Sam into a group hug.

" I love you guys," said Colby. " Never forget that."

" We never have," said Lesa, " and we never will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 2.4K 85
Quand un simple dîner se transforme en déclaration de guerre, Zoé Parker se promet de ne plus se laisser avoir par le faux air charmeur de Jude Belli...
91.1K 8K 46
- 𝗟𝗡𝟰 ; Amaya et Lando « Dans les yeux de l'amour, tout est possible. » 24.03.24 - 17.05.2024 Cette histoire n'est pas une chronique. [Terminé...
9.1K 278 20
3 ème année pour notre Hannah. Une nouvelle année sans son meilleur ami. Une année plein de danger et de secret avoué
359K 15.1K 113
Elle cherchait un endroit en marge de cette soirée où elle ne voulait pas venir. Lui voulait juste souffler et se ressourcer au calme. Ils se retrouv...