Proximity | JaMorant

By authormariee

An unexpected romance between two neighbors. Previously titled, "1218 Rosedale Ave." More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Proximity
Thank You
2024 Update

Chapter 4

4.5K 231 22
By authormariee

Today was supposed to be one of the hottest days of the summer, so I decided to throw a small pool party. I invited my sister, my nieces, and my homegirls— Demi and Sabrina. I mentioned the party to Cairo when he fixed my sink.

I woke up early today to shock the pool with chlorine and ensure that it was clean and safe for everyone to swim in.

The house actually didn't come with the pool, I paid out of pocket to have it installed a few years after I moved in. Best choice I've made, I can enjoy the summer from the comfort of my own home now.

I was currently in route to the grocery store. It wouldn't be a pool party without food and drinks. I picked up fresh fruits, chips, cookies, and lemonade. I didn't enjoy grocery shopping, it was always a tiring and stressful process. Sometimes I over shopped, and other times I didn't buy enough.

I finally made it to the registers and like usual the lines were touching the back of the store. After twenty minutes of simply waiting, I was finally next, "Your total is $53.65, cash or card?" The cashier asked, resulting in me inserting my credit card into the machine.

"I love your braids!" Some girl expressed, as I walked out the store. It was a young girl, maybe thirteen at most.

I stopped, and smiled at the beautiful compliment, "Yours are beautiful as well. I also love your outfit!" I commented, earning a smile and a small giggle from the child.

I always try to embrace my natural hair, or wear braids, as they're a part of me and my soulful culture. I like to be a representation or image for younger black girls, I like to show them what's in store for their future. When my nieces come over, we have small spa days, so they can understand the importance of self care and love, no matter the age.

After the tiny interaction, I'm left with happiness lasting throughout my entire morning. I even gave the coffee shop barista a hefty tip.

Now that I'm back home, I start setting up the backyard with the lounge chairs, tables, and simple decorations. I forgot to buy ice, which meant now wet, playful kids were running in and out the house for drinks.

"It's hot as hell out here." I said to no one specific, just talking.

A few hours later, all the backyard decor was out from the garage and basement. I had showered to get rid of the sticky feeling, and changed into my swimsuit. As I'm walking down the stairs, the door opens revealing my sister, London, and her two daughters.

"Hey Tete!" My youngest niece yelled out as she ran to me. I had two nieces, one was four and the other was sixteen.

"Hey girl, this swimsuit is so pretty." I said while tugging on the material. The conversation continued for a while, before we all went outside. The girls immediately found entertainment in the water.

"Hey hoes!" In came Sabrina and Demi, walking through the driveway with bottles of some alcoholic beverage in their hands, and pizza.

Sabrina side hugged me, "Renny Ryn, my favorite hoe!" She said, making me laugh out, Sabrina was the only person to combine my nicknames together. It was usually Renny or Ryn.

"Briiii!" I said, showing just as much excitement in my tone.

I spoke again, "Is that Demi?" I questioned as she came out of the house.

"Y'all know it!" She cheered, making everyone laugh. Sabrina and Demi were always the life of every party.

For a while everyone sat around the pool, joking around, listening to music, snacking, whatever everyone's hearts desired.

"Why you ain't talk to Cameron, Ryn?" Demi randomly asked.

"Who the hell is Cameron?" I asked, confused.

"The guy at the restaurant, from the other day." She explained, making that night come back to mind.

"I didn't wanna talk to Cameron apparently, and why you invite me to dinner with a bunch of randoms?" I asked, steering the conversation away from that guy.

"For you to talk to Cameron girl. He's opening up his own restaurant soon too." Demi replied, forcing me to roll my eyes.

She always wanted to play cupid, or match maker. Demi had me go on multiple dates with men she knew, but nothing was ever successful. Instead of telling me that dinner was another one of her plans, she made it seem like just another night out, which was a little annoying.

I pushed out a huff, "Stop doing that, If I wanted a relationship I would look for it myself."

I was going to continue on— but my oldest niece interrupted, "Tete why is Cairo Morant in your backyard?" She asked excitedly while furiously tapping my thigh.

"How do you know Cairo?" I asked, she hasn't been over in weeks, so she couldn't have met him over here.

"What you mean? He play point guard for the NBA." She explained, making me realize I didn't even watch sports enough to notice that.

"Laurynnnn!" Karter yelled while running in my direction as I walked toward her.

I reached my arms out— embracing her in a tight hug, "Hi Karter!"

She smiled brightly, "You wanna get in the pool?" I asked the toddler, as she pulled on her life jacket. I walked down the stairs slowly, and let her float around while I held her hands.

She kicked her feet, splashing water into my eyes, but I didn't mind. I played around with the girls for a while, Karter even played with my youngest niece. They seemed to be around the same age.

After spending enough time in the pool, I took a seat on the lounge pool chair. I put my sunglasses on and sipped on the lemonade.

Minutes later, I started to doze off until I felt my legs being pushed aside. Cracking my eyes open, I spotted Cairo taking a seat at the end of my chair.

"Why you sleep?" He asked.

"I can't sleep now?" I jokingly asked, making him pinch my ankle, while he still focused his attention on me.

I took the time to focus on his appearance, like usual. He's only wearing his Versace swim bottoms and a matching pair of slides, leaving his upper body tattoos to be on full display. His locs are pulled up into a ponytail and he's wearing his silver chain again.

He sat playing with my anklet, looking up, I caught my sister and best friends making faces with their tongues out, forcing me to put up the middle finger discreetly.

I don't know where the feeling came from, but after a few interactions with Cairo, I was starting to develop something. Just the simple action of sitting on the same chair had me jumping inside. Maybe I've just been so deprived of male touch and attention from an attractive male, that my body feels so alive.

I can tell just from looks that I have years on Cairo's age, but I just want to live carefree. I want to do spontaneous things, and have people questioning if I'm the same Lauryn they used to know. I'm at the point where I'm letting life take its natural course.

"Karter loves you." He expressed, making me fight off a smile.

I continued laying, playing with my bracelet, "Yeah, kids come natural to me." I spoke honestly.

"I could tell from the day we moved in. Karter is always trying to play in your sprinklers, now she's gonna want to come swim everyday." Cairo confessed, leaving my heart warm. It was upsetting that I didn't have kids of my own, but being the rich, cool auntie would suffice.

"That's the most you've ever said." I replied, while pushing my sunglasses up into my braids.

"Mhm." He replied, and I knew I was back to the quiet, reserved side of Cairo.

We sat for minutes, with me now playing with the strings of my bikini.

"You look good in that swimsuit." He said in his low, leg clenching voice— causing me to put a hand over my face to hide whatever emotion was consuming me.

"Thank you." Was all I had enough courage to say, no man has ever had me this speechless. Most of the men my age were corny, narcissistic, or provoking.

"Mhm." He hummed, still playing with the jewelry.

"Dada!" Karter ran to her father. She sat on his lap as they started their own conversation. I didn't care to listen in, just enjoying the scenery. Summer had to be my favorite season.

After a few hours, Demi and Sabrina left. Then my sister, but my nieces wanted to stay which I allowed because why not.

Now I was walking up the driveway towards the front of the house with Cairo right beside me. I kept a slow pace, while he walked even slower. Him and Karter went home, and me and the girls called it quits on the pool for today.

❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

EAST By ๐Ÿฅฐ

General Fiction

403K 14.6K 25
#743 in fan fiction #158 in girls #31 in breakups
3.4M 122K 61
๐šˆ๐™พ๐š„'๐š๐™ด ๐™ผ๐šˆ ๐š‚๐™ฐ๐™ป๐š…๐™ฐ๐™ถ๐™ด, ๐šˆ๐™พ๐š„'๐š๐™ด ๐™ผ๐šˆ ๐™ฑ๐™ฐ๐™ป๐™ฐ๐™ฝ๐™ฒ๐™ด
479K 13.9K 64
๐— ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ถ๐˜€๐—ป'๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜€๐˜„๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—œ'๐—บ ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—น๐—น๐—ถ๐—ป' ๐—บ๐˜†๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜.