13 Reasons Why Hannah Baker L...

By espinosa1989

What if Hannah Baker survived her attempt? What would that world look like? In this world, she survives her a... More

Chapter 1: October 9th, 2017
Chapter 2: The Tapes
Chapter 3: Paying The Price
Chapter 4: Sooner Or Later, The Truth Will Come Out!
Chapter 5: Free Solo
Chapter 6: Tape 9
Chapter 7: The Stop Sign
Chapter 8: Clay's Tape
Chapter 9: The Confrontation
Chapter 10: It Has To Get Better
Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid
Chapter 12: The Hallucination
Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony
Chapter 14: The 2nd Polaroid
Chapter 15: Hannah's Poems
Chapter 16: The Secret Relationship
Chapter 17: Clay Testifies
Chapter 18: The Tapes Are Out
Chapter 19: Porter's Testimony
Chapter 20: The Clubhouse
Chapter 21: Bryce & ChlΓΆe
Chapter 22: Awakening
Chapter 23: Confronting Monty
Chapter 24: The Verdict
Chapter 25: The Sentencing
Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial
Chapter 27: Spring Fling
Chapter 28: The New Girl
Chapter 29: The Disappearance of Bryce Walker
Chapter 30: Jessica's Speech
Chapter 31: The Truth About ChlΓΆe
Chapter 32: Student Body President Jessica Davis
Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead
Chapter 34: Tyler
Chapter 35: Tyler's Gun
Chapter 36: The Problem With Alex Standall
Chapter 37: The Funeral
Chapter 38: There Are A Number Of Problems With Clay Jensen
Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor
Chapter 40: The Problem With Justin
Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1
Chapter 42: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.2
Chapter 43: What Does Charlie Know?
Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor
Chapter 45: Homecoming
Chapter 46: Let The Dead Bury The Dead
Chapter 47: It's Not Supposed To Be Easy For People Like Us
Chapter 48: SRO
Chapter 49: Sanderson University
Chapter 50: The Mysterious Caller
Chapter 51: Love Is Love
Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods
Chapter 53: Find Your Drink
Chapter 54: Is It A Drill? Part 1
Chapter 55: Is It A Drill? Part 2
Chapter 56: The Session
Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal
Chapter 58: Gordon Lightfoot
Chapter 59: The Walkout & The Riot
Chapter 60: Prom Part 1
Chapter 61: Prom Part 2
Chapter 63: Justin's Funeral
Chapter 64: The Return Of The Tapes
Chapter 65: Graduation
Chapter 66: Goodbye
Chapter 67: 20 Years Later
Chapter 68: The Reason Why I'm Still Going

Chapter 62: The Finals Days Of Justin Foley

43 1 0
By espinosa1989

Prom was a week ago, Justin has been in the hospital since. He's been in the hospital for a week and we have no idea what's wrong. We've visited him in the hospital but he wasn't conscience. He looked bad. I noticed that he had what looked like a black rash on his neck. I looked up black rashes online, when I got the results... my heart sank. Please god, no.

Doctor: Justin has given me permission to discuss his treatment and diagnosis with you.

Justin's doctor sits down with the Jensen's in the waiting room to discuss Justin's status.

Doctor: I'm afraid I have some difficult news to share. Justin has tested positive for HIV-1. And based on his symptoms, we believe... it has progressed to AIDS.

Matt Jensen: That's... How is that possible? He... he had the flu. He's been tired.

Doctor: Well, HIV has a long period of latency after infection, which means that Justin may not have shown any symptoms for some time. With his IV drug use and extended periods of homelessness, this would have made him more susceptible to rapid progression. And according to his records, he was never tested.

Laine Jensen: How... how has he never been tested? We got him the best GP. He had a complete physical.

Doctor: Testing requires patient consent. It's not uncommon for a young man with a history of IV drug use and sex work to avoid testing.

Clay Jensen: Sex work?

Doctor: Justin never spoke to you about the time he spent homeless?

Clay Jensen: Not about that part, no.

Doctor: The pneumocystis pneumonia has an indolent presentation, which means that the symptoms develop slowly over some weeks, and there was a late diagnosis... There is also a neurological infection. A fungal meningitis that has not advanced quite so far, but is pervasive.

The next day, me & Jessica arrive to the hospital together where we meet with the Jensens. They tell us what I had feared. Justin has AIDS. We broke down in tears. They also told us that Justin's condition was getting worse. Alex, Charlie, Tony, & Ani arrived later on as Clay line us up to see Justin. Typical of Clay Jensen for him to line people up just to see Justin. Charlie brought a huge stuffed panda for Justin, much to Alex's annoyance. After them, I was up to see him. He looked worse than the last time I saw him. We chatted for little while. We didn't talk about our past or talk about his condition. We just talked about the good times we've all had and that what we wanted to focus on the good not the bad.

Meanwhile at Liberty, Tyler & Winston are in the yearbook room alone developing pictures as Winston approaches Tyler with pictures prom.

Winston Williams: Prom pictures. Some good ones of you and Estela. You should frame one for her.

Tyler Down: Oh, wow. Wow, these are really great. Hey, thank you.

Winston Williams: I know it was Jessica... who killed Bryce. And I know Clay and Ani and some group of you framed Monty. I almost have what I need to go to the police. But I don't have to include you or Hannah Baker, she's been through enough.

Tyler Down: (Inhales Deeply) You got it all wrong. You don't really know anything, and Jessica and Clay and Ani, they're my friends. So anything you do to them, you do to me too.

Winston leaves the yearbook room as he's prepared to go to the police. Once Winston left, Tyler takes out his phone and group text to his friends "We need to talk about Gordon Lightfoot". Later that night...

Me, Jessica, & Charlie are sitting in the waiting room with Clay. Clay tells how Justin got AIDS. Justin told his doctor and she told the Jensens that when he was homeless last year, he had to resort to sex work with men in order to get money. I was shocked. Jessica tells us that Justin told her after the assembly when Clay was arrested. Clay wondered why Justin didn't tell him about it.

Jessica Davis: I think he was ashamed. That's why he didn't tell you?

Clay Jensen: I... I wouldn't have, like, judged.

Hannah Baker: It's not that. It just... It takes time. To deal with what is.

Charlie gets a text on his phone as he checks it out.

Charlie St. George: Zach's downstairs. He says he can't come in.

Jessica Davis: Fucking Zach.

Fucking Zach is right. I've put up with his bullshit for the past 6 months, but this is the last straw. Justin is his best friend, and he needs Zach right now. So me & Charlie both got up and make our way downstairs. We go outside where we find Zach sitting down by a statue.

Hannah Baker: Zach!

Charlie St. George: Hey. Hey, what the fuck? All right, get upstairs.

Hannah Baker: Justin needs you right now.

Zach Dempsey: I can't, guys. I just... Hospitals. (Clears Throat, Sniffs)

Hannah Baker: You need to see him.

Zach Dempsey: Guys, I watched my dad die in this hospital.

Shit, I didn't know that. So it must be really hard for him being here.

Hannah Baker: I get it. It's hard. This is the hospital where your dad died. And this is also the hospital where I was in a coma for 5 months. For 5 months, I laid there while you guys listened to my tapes and all hell broke loose.

Charlie St. George: Yeah? Yeah, me and my dad brought my mom home from this hospital so she could die in her own bed. And you know what? Right now, your best friend is really sick upstairs, and if you don't go see him, you are gonna regret this for the rest of your fucking life!

Hannah Baker: He's right, Zach. I know a thing or 2 about regret.

Zach Dempsey: I can't, guys. (Sniffles) I can't.

Gosh, this is harder on Zach than on all of us. Zach knew Justin since they were kids. He's known him his whole life. I've only know them for 3 years. I take a seat next to Zach, thinking of a way to get him in.

Alex called Winston and asked to meet him at Monet's. Winston arrived first as he waited for Alex to arrive. When Alex arrived, he immediately sits down in front of him.

Winston Williams: Hi. I was really surprised you texted me.

Alex Standall: It was me. I killed Bryce Walker.

Winston was shocked.

Winston Williams: You're lying.

Alex Standall: No. I found him on the pier. I was alone. I tried to help him up. He threatened to hurt Zach. I shoved him in the river. He drowned.

Winston Williams: Alex.

Alex Standall: Yeah, so... that information is yours now. Do what you want with it.

Alex gets up and leaves Monet's as Winston just sits there that the boy that he loves was the person who killed Bryce Walker. Back at the hospital, the Jensen are talking with Justin's doctor inside his room while Justin sleeps with a ventilator on his mouth.

Doctor: The ventilator breathes for him. It keeps his blood oxygenated and helps protect against organ failure.

Clay Jensen: How long does he have to be on it?

Matt & Laine look at each other with concern because Clay has no idea what it means.

Laine Jensen: Uh, honey...

Matt Jensen: He may never be able to breathe without it again.

Clay Jensen: So, like, when he gets out of the hospital?

Doctor: The disease in his lungs is quite advanced. And we're also starting to see advanced neurological symptoms. The goal is to keep him as comfortable as possible and manage the symptoms as best as we can.

Clay begins panting as he realizes that Justin time is running out. Clay begins running out as his parents run after him.

Laine Jensen: Honey! Clay?

Clay Jensen: I feel like I just... I need some air. (Panting)

Clay runs out as he heads for the stairs.

Matt Jensen: Clay!

Lainie Jensen: Does he just need some space?

Matt Jensen: Should we give him space? Now? Is that really a good idea?

Me & Charlie have been out here trying to convince Zach to enter the hospital to see Justin. Suddenly, Clay comes running out.

Zach Dempsey: Whoa! Clay! Clay, what happened? Is everything OK?

Clay Jensen: What do you fucking think, Zach? He's never getting any better! He's fucking dying!

Clay just runs off.

Hannah Baker: CLAY!

I begin running after him. Something is wrong and Clay needs me.

Charlie St. George: Should we go after them?

Zach Dempsey: (Sighs) Jesus, I don't know.

Matt comes running out as he stops where Charlie & Zach are standing.

Matt Jensen: Where'd he go?

Charlie St. George: Uh, up the street, that way.

Matt Jensen: Where's he going? What's down there?

Charlie St. George: No clue, Mr. Jensen. But Hannah went after him.

I kept on running after Clay as he keeps on running. I keep calling out for him, but he keeps on running. Where is he running to? Eventually, I lost him at a cross walk as he crossed a street light but I was too late to cross. I take out my phone and try calling him. But he's not answering. The crosswalk light turned white as I cross the street in hopes that I can find Clay. Suddenly, I hear a car honking at me as a car pulls up. I look through the windows and it was Officer Ted.

Ted Wynn: Hannah Baker?

Hannah Baker: Yeah.

Ted Wynn: Told you it was her.

Who's he talking to? I look at the passenger seat and it was Tony. But he looks beaten up.

Hannah Baker: Tony? What happened?

Ted Wynn: Street fight? What are you doing out here alone?

Hannah Baker: I was at the hospital. I was outside because Zach didn't want to come in. Me & Charlie were trying to convince him to go in when Clay came running and said that Justin is dying and then ran off. He didn't look good.

Tony Padilla: Clay said that Justin is dying?

Ted Wynn: Hop in kid. I'll help you look for him. We're going down to the station. Maybe they can help.

I hop in the backseat. I couldn't stop looking at Tony as I see the bruises on his face. I just hope we find Clay and pray he's okay.

Clay kept running and running, until he eventually finds himself in front of the police station. Clay quietly enters the station as no one notices him as he just stands there with his hands inside the pockets of his jacket.

Clay Jensen: (Quietly) I, um... I have a gun. I SAID I HAVE A GUN!

Everyone hears Clay as the people inside the station begin to get scared as the police officers take out their guns.

Clay Jensen: (Panicked Shrieking) AND I'LL FUCKING USE IT IF I HAVE TO SO EVERYBODY BACK THE FUCK UP! I HAVE A GUN. I HAVE A GUN!

Sheriff Diaz comes out from the briefing room with Deputy Standall & another deputy.

Sheriff Diaz: Clay, hey. Hey, what's going on here?

Clay Jensen: I... I have a gun.

Sheriff Diaz: All right, well, let's just take a breath here. Slowly take your hands outta your pockets so no one gets hurt.

Clay Jensen: People are already hurt! Nobody pays for the things that happen! No one ever pays! And someone should!

Sheriff Diaz: You must hurt so much.

Officer Ted arrives with both Tony and Hannah. Ted enter the station as he sees the stand off.

Sheriff Diaz: Put the gun down, and we'll talk about it. OK? Clay? Clay?

Me & Tony walk up to the door and we see Clay standing there with the cops confronting him as we enter.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god!

Tony Padilla: Clay!

Sheriff Diaz: Get down!

Ted Wynn: Hey, get down!

Officer Ted drags us down to the ground as Clay looks surprised to see us while the police point their guns at them.

Tony Padilla: Clay! What the fuck?

Hannah Baker: Clay, what are you doing?

Sheriff Diaz: Put your guns down! Guys, put your guns down! Guns down, everybody!

Clay Jensen: Tony? Hannah?

Sheriff Diaz: Put your guns down. Hey, Clay. Clay, listen to me, buddy. I know you're going through a lot right now. I know you've been through a lot. More than any kid should ever have to deal with. But listen to me. Everyone in this room? Every one of those deputies? Everyone wants the same thing, and that's for you to be safe. To stay alive. OK? Tony... He's your best friend, right? And Hannah... She's your girlfriend, correct?

Clay looks at both me & Tony with a frightening look on his face. I've never seen Clay like this. This is worse than the drill.

Sheriff Diaz: Tony & Hannah want you to be safe. And that's all that matters right now. I can't promise that it gets better right away. But the only chance we have, the only way things can start to feel better... is if you give me that gun. OK?

Gun? What gun? Did say that he has a gun?

The sheriff carefully approaches Clay very slowly.

Sheriff Diaz: I promise you, no one will hurt you. Just give me the gun. You can talk to me.

Clay takes his hand out from the pockets of his jacket, but they were empty. He begins to break down in front of the sheriff as Diaz hugs Clay. Clay just wails on Sheriff Diaz as the rest of the police officers put their guns away. The sheriff didn't bust or punish Clay for that shit that he pulled. I immediately call Jessica to let her know that Clay is at the police station and if she can let his parents know. Clay & Tony are taken to the back while I wait for the Jensens to arrive. Minutes later, Clay's dad arrives as Diaz has a talk with him. I sit in the lobby as all I can do is wait and wonder what's going through Clay's head and why Tony was in a street fight.

While Sheriff Diaz is speaking with his father, Clay sits in the interrogation room with Tony.

Tony Padilla: I'm not sure if they put me in here to look after you or the other way around.

Clay Jensen: We haven't been doing that so great for each other lately.

Tony Padilla: No, we haven't. You scared the hell out of Hannah. She told me something about Justin dying?

Clay Jensen: He's not going to pull through. He's gotten worse.

Tony Padilla: Shit.

Clay Jensen: What happened to you?

Tony Padilla: Street fight. I'm worried about you.

Clay Jensen: I'm worried too.

Days have past and Justin keeps getting worse. Zach had still yet to see Justin. Alex & Charlie had enough of Zach's antics. They track him down in alley where he's sitting on the hood of his mom's car, drinking as they get out of their car.

Zach Dempsey: (Groans Lightly) Something tells me you boys aren't here to party.

Charlie snatches the drinks away from Zach's hand...

Zach Dempsey: Oh... OK.

And begins dumping it to the ground.

Zach Dempsey: Whoa! Hey, that's a single barrel small batch Corlett. What the fuck?

Charlie St. George: Fuckin' bourbon, guys. You can't even tell the difference!

Alex offers Zach a cup of coffee.

Alex Standall: There are 2 more in the car, black. You're gonna get those in you, and go see Justin.

Zach Dempsey: All right, look, Mothers Teresa. Learn to know a lost cause when you see one, like me. Like Justin.

Alex Standall: (Sighs) OK, Zach. Do you remember on the rooftop? The night I kissed you?

Charlie St. George: You kissed him?

Alex Standall: It was a shit show. I'll explain later. But you remember that night?

Zach Dempsey: Yeah.

Alex Standall: OK. That kiss was embarrassing. It was a disaster. But right before that, when I almost fell, you pulled me back from the ledge. And I'll never forget the feeling of your hands grabbing me and keeping me safe. I needed it. I didn't know it. And now you need it.

Zach Dempsey: (Sighs) The kiss wasn't a disaster, it was a nice kiss, per se.

Charlie St. George: Wait, it was?

Zach Dempsey: Yeah. Yeah.

Alex Standall: I don't love Justin, but I love you, and you love him. So what the fuck, Zach?

It's very early in the morning as me, Clay, Tyler, Tony, & Jessica sit in the waiting room when we hear the elevator ding. The elevator opens up and we see Alex & Charlie with Zach. They finally convinced him to come. Clay gets up and goes up to them as Zach just hugs him which is weird. Clay is confused. Zach let's go as Clay begins to lead him to Justin's room. I'm glad that Zach finally came to his sense.

Later that day, Tony goes to his & Caleb's apartment where he finds Caleb sitting on the kitchen counter with his laptop on.

Caleb: Here he is now.

Tony Padilla: Who are you talking to?

Claeb: It's, uh... It's your dad.

Tony goes up to Caleb's lap top and sees his father on FaceTime.

Arturo Padilla: Antonio! (Chuckles) How's your friend?

Tony Padilla: He's not good, papá.

Arturo Padilla: You good to be there for him. You're a good friend. That's always important, m'hijo.

Tony Padilla: I guess... I guess so, yeah.

Arturo Padilla: But you have to think about yourself sometimes. Caleb told me about the college offer.

Tony Padilla: He did?

Arturo Padilla: Damn proud of you. It's time, m'hijo. It's time you sell the shop and get on with your life.

Tony Padilla: We can't afford that, papá.

Arturo Padilla: We have work here. We're gonna be fine.

Tony Padilla: The shop is your dream.

Arturo Padilla: Listen to me. That shop... was never my dream. You... You are my dream. Why do we do everything? So that you can have a better life than we did. This is your better life, m'hijo. Don't fuck up my dream.

After talking with his father, Tony had agreed to do what his father just told him to do. Tony will accept the scholarship to the University of Nevada. Later that night, Jessica is sitting all alone in the waiting room when Bryce pops back in her head.

Bryce Walker: I win.

Jessica just ignores him.

Bryce Walker: Come on, why the silent treatment? I'm just here to pay my respects to Justy.

Jessica Davis: You killed him.

Bryce Walker: Yeah, I did. I don't rape Hannah, none of us are here, right? He doesn't run away. Doesn't start shooting up. Letting men fuck him.

Jessica Davis: How can one person cause so much pain?

Bryce Walker: Look in the mirror. You let me die.

Jessica Davis: You deserved to die.

Bryce Walker: Yeah, maybe. But here we are. You probably have it too.

Jessica Davis: Fuck you.

Bryce Walker: (Snickers) Yeah. I win.

Hannah Baker: Jess.

Jessica snaps out of it as she notices Hannah standing close to her.

Jessica Davis: How long were you standing there?

Hannah Baker: Around when you said "You killed him." I thought you were talking to me...

Jessica Davis: Oh, no. Hannah, I would never blame you. This is not your fault.

Hannah Baker: Then who were you talking to?

Jessica Davis: (Exhales) How did you do it?

Hannah Baker: Do what?

Jessica Davis: Stop seeing Bryce. You told me that you've been seeing him since you woke up from your coma. But then it stopped, right?

I have a seat next to her.

Hannah Baker: (Exhales) It stopped on Thanksgiving. I went to his grave. All I could think about is... that could have been me if I was successful. I thought about what he said on his tape. Eventually, I forgave him.

Jessica Davis: How could you forgive him for what he did to us? To Chlöe. To Zach. To Justin. To Clay. What he put your parents through.

Hannah Baker: Because it would've ate me up. Just like it's eating you up right now, isn't it? You've been seeing him. Just like I did. Just like Clay did. Ever since you burned his tape.

Jessica Davis: Clay's been seeing him?

Hannah Baker: And Monty.

Jessica Davis: Him, too?

Hannah Baker: Yeah.

Jessica Davis: I only saw him once. At Find Your Drink. But, yeah... Ever since I burned his tape, I've been seeing him. At school. At my house. In the woods. And just now. It's his fault. This is all Bryce's fault.

Hannah Baker: I know.

I give Jessica a hug because she needs it right now. I'm going to help her through this just like she helped me.

Clay Jensen: Jess.

We let go of each other as we see that Clay in the room.

Clay Jensen: Um... he's up. If you wanna say hey. He can't say anything back, but he writes, so... If... if you want to.

Jessica Davis: Yeah.

Hannah Baker: I'll go with you.

Jessica smiles and nods at me as we both get up as Clay takes us to see Justin. The next day we all attended school. With graduation only weeks away we needed to complete our classes. As I'm walking through the hallways, Clay comes up to me.

Clay Jensen: Hey, can we talk some where private?

Hannah Baker: Yeah.

We go somewhere where we can have some privacy. Clay decided to take me to the baseball field that's still called Walker Field.

Hannah Baker: Clay, out of all the place where we could've talked, why here? Why bring me to a baseball field that's named after Bryce's family?

Clay takes a seat on the bleachers.

Clay Jensen: Because of times like this, I wished Jeff was still here. I know he wouldn't be here in Evergreen, he'd be at some college somewhere else. But he'd always knew what to say to me.

I sit down next to him. I also wished Jeff was still alive.

Hannah Baker: I miss him, too.

Clay Jensen: I just talked to Foundry. I've been voted Class Speaker for graduation.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god. That's great, congratulations.

I was so happy for Clay, but he didn't seem happy.

Hannah Baker: What's wrong?

Clay Jensen: It doesn't make any sense. I have nothing to say. But why me? Foundry told me that everyone at Liberty think I have something relevant to say to them. Because of what I said at the riot, which I don't remember. Besides, what kind of bullshit speech can I give? I can't... I can't get up there and say, like, "Hope for the future! And the best days are ahead!" I mean, Jesus!

Clay gets up and begins pacing as he raises his voice.

Clay Jensen: Justin is lying there in that hospital. He's never coming out, he's dying, and I'm supposed to give some speech about the future? There is no future!

I just sit there and try to hold back my tears.

Clay Jensen: Sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice.

Hannah Baker: It's okay. You're upset. You're scared. So am I. I don't want to die either.

Clay sits back down.

Clay Jensen: Look, to give a speech, about anything, you have to make some kind of sense. And nothing makes sense. And all the pieces are just... scattered all over the floor.

Hannah Baker: Clay... you're one of the strongest person I've ever known.

Clay looks at me with tears in his eyes as I hold on to his hand.

Hannah Baker: Think about everything you've done for me, for Jess, for Justin, for everyone here at Liberty.

Clay Jensen: But I'm broken.

Hannah Baker: So was I. Yeah, I tried killing myself, but in the end... I rebuild myself. If I can do that, so can you.

Clay nods at me knowing I'm right. I then give him a hug because he really need it.

Clay Jensen: I got into Brown.

I let go of him.

Clay Jensen: That crazy interview? Didn't even matter. So if nothing fucking matters, like, why bother?

Hannah Baker: You got into Brown?

Clay Jensen: I got into Brown. Which means that I'm going to Providence, and you're going to New York.

Hannah Baker: So what does that mean for us?

Clay Jensen: Well, New York & Providence are 3 Hours Away from each other. We can try to see each other on the weekends. I know this gonna be hard on all of us.

Hannah Baker: We're all going to different schools on different states. Will we survive college?

Clay Jensen: We barely, barely, made it through high school. I don't know what the future holds for us.

Later that night, Clay buys some coffee from Monet's and brings it back to the hospital. Clay goes into Justin's room where Justin is sleeping while his father is by Justin's side.

Clay Jensen: I ran to Monet's. I just... Hospital coffee. I couldn't anymore.

Matt Jensen: Good call.

Clay hands over one of the cups to his father as he takes a seat by Justin's bed.

Clay Jensen: (Sighs) I keep thinking this'll get easier, and it just gets harder. Every day of this.

Matt Jensen: Well, you don't want it to start to feel normal, do you?

Clay Jensen: No. (Chuckles)

Matt Jensen: I remember my grandfather dying when I was 14. My first experience of it. And you... You've looked at death too many times for a young person. Your generation, it's... it's not right.

Clay Jensen: I'm sorry if I scared you the other night. I won't scare you ever again.

Matt Jensen: Clay... (Chuckles) ...since the day your mom gave birth, and the doctor put you in my arms, I've been terrified.

Clay chuckles at what his dad said.

Matt Jensen: But we'll get through it.

Clay Jensen: I keep telling myself that.

Matt Jensen: You know, high school, it's different today. But in many ways, not. High school has always been something to be survived. But it can be. I'm living proof.

Clay Jensen: Yeah.

Matt Jensen: And there's joy too, right? I hope you've known joy.

Clay thinks about the joy he's had these past 3 years. The first thing that popped into his mind was Hannah. Working with her at The Crestmont, spending time with her at school, & helping her recover.

Clay Jensen: (Chuckles Lightly) Yeah, I have, Dad. (Sighs Heavily)

The next day at Liberty, Coach Kerba offers Zach a coaching job for next year. Zach tells Coach Kerba that he took the coach's letter of recommendation out of his file during the riot because he didn't think he could live up to it. Coach Kerba thinks he can, under the terms that he needs to get sober and graduate. Zach agrees to do that. Later that night...

Me & Jessica are in Justin's room as we're both sitting down and just watch him sleep with the ventilator on. While we're here, Clay & his parents are right outside the room talking to Justin's doctor.

Doctor: The brain infection is advancing quickly. And I'm afraid it might be a good time to take Justin off the ventilator, at least for a few hours, so he can speak to you, and you to him.

Clay Jensen: You... You mean...

Clay looks at his parents and judging from the looks of their faces and seeing his mother crying meant only one thing... it won't be long before we say goodbye to Justin.

Lainie Jensen: (Sobs Quietly) Yeah.

Doctor: As I understand it, Mr. Jensen, uh, Justin has made you the medical POA, and he signed a living will with a DNR order.

Matt Jensen: Yes.

The doctor hands over a clipboard with paper for Matt to sign.

Doctor: The palliative care doctor visited Justin, and Justin participated in a discussion about his priorities by writing down his wishes. He would like to be as comfortable as possible...

Clay comes back inside as his parents continue talking with the doctor. From the look on his face, we both knew that something is wrong.

Jessica Davis: What?

Clay Jensen: Jess... Hannah... we need to get ready to say goodbye.

Me & Jessica begin breaking down. Justin is going to die. Word has spread around Liberty about Justin the next day. I'm sitting in the waiting room with the Jensens, Alex, Charlie, Tony, Tyler, & Coach Kerba. We're all lined up to say goodbye. The first one to say goodbye is Jessica.

Jessica Davis: Hi!

Justin Foley: Hey. (Labored breathing)

Jessica closes the door behind her as she begins to cry when she sees the condition that Justin is in.

Justin Foley: Jess. Don't cry.

Jessica Davis: I'm so sorry. I'm so... I thought I could be strong. I...

Justin Foley: Come here. Come here.

Jessica goes up to Justin as she sits next to him on his bed as they hold on to each other.

Justin Foley: You're... so strong. (Labored breathing)

Jessica Davis: (Sobbing) You're the best thing that ever happened to me.

Justin Foley: (Gasping) You're... out of your mind. I ruined your fucking life.

Jessica Davis: No. No. You taught me what love is.

Justin Foley: Yeah?

Jessica Davis: Yeah.

Justin Foley: Yeah?

Jessica Davis: (Chuckles) Yes.

They both laugh. Then the laughter turns into sobbing.

Justin Foley: (Exhales slowly) OK. You always have that. OK? OK. OK, Jess?

Jessica Davis: (Sobbing) OK.

As we waited for our turn, the jocks started to show up for Justin. Including Diego. After Jessica was done, Alex, Charlie, Tyler, Tony, & Ani went in there to say goodbye. Then it was my turn. Clay walked me to Justin's room. When we got there, he stayed behind so I can have a moment with Justin. I enter the room and there he was, in worse shape.

Justin Foley: Hannah. (Labored breathing)

Hannah Baker: Hi.

I take a seat next to his bed, trying not to cry.

Justin Foley: It's ok. Let it go.

I let the tears come falling down.

Hannah Baker: I'm sorry. I told myself I wouldn't cry in front of you.

Justin Foley: If anyone should be sorry, it should be me. I let this happened. (Labored breathing)

Hannah Baker: No, don't do that.

Justin Foley: (Gasping) How ironic. You've been saying that since you woke up from your coma, now it's your turn to say that to me. But it is. I started it. I took that picture... (Labored breathing)

Hannah Baker: I've forgiven you for that.

Justin Foley: I know, but I still showed it to Bryce. That's where it all started. (Labored breathing)

Hannah Baker: I know.

Justin Foley: I will always regret doing that. (Labored breathing) You ever wondered... (Gasping) What would our lives be had I not done that?

Hannah Baker: Every day. But then you wouldn't have been with Jess.

Justin Foley: And you wouldn't have been with Clay.

Hannah Baker: What could have been.

Justin Foley: (Coughs) Hannah... can you do me a favor? (Labored breathing)

Hannah Baker: Yeah.

Justin Foley: (Gasping) Can you be there for them? Clay & Jessica. They're going to need you now more than ever. (Labored breathing) Especially Clay.

I look straight into Justin's eyes.

Hannah Baker: (Sobbing) Justin, I promise you... I will be there for them. Just like all of you were there for me.

Justin Foley: Thank you. (Labored breathing)

After I was done saying goodbye to Justin, I walk back to the waiting room and I stopped as I can't believe what I'm seeing. The girls of H.O. & other students from Liberty showed up for Justin. Sitting there with the jocks. No fights. No protest. Just them, united. As I go back to my seat, Clay goes in to see Justin.

Clay Jensen: Um... Zach's going to coach at Liberty next year. Kerba asked him.

Justin Foley: That's awesome.

Clay Jensen: I'm... I'm so sorry, Justin. I don't know how to do this.

Justin Foley: (Breathes Shakily) Hey. (Chuckles) You're doing... You're doing it great. (Coughs, labored breathing)

Clay Jensen: Thank you for saving my life. Like, more times than you know. (Sighs Sadly) I love you.

Justin Foley: (Labored breathing) I love... (Groans) I love... love you... you too, man.

They both begin to cry and chuckles at the same time.

Clay Jensen: (Sniffles) I'm sorry. (Sniffles) Um... (Sniffles, Sighs) Are you afraid?

Justin Foley: Yeah. I am. (Coughs, Sobs, Sniffles, Breathes Shakily) Will you hold... Will you hold my hand... bro?

They both chuckle.

Clay Jensen: (Sob) Yeah.

And Clay does that. He takes Justin's hand. Everyone has gathers at the hospital's waiting room as Justin is in his last hours on earth. The Jensens are now sitting by his side as the machine flatlines. A nurse comes in and turns the machine off as the Jensens begin to mourn the death of Justin Foley. Clay just holds on to Justin's hand and kisses it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.4K 854 22
Emmalee Andrews was Hannah Baker's best friend. They went through just about everything together, until the night of Jessica Davis's party. When Emma...
2.9K 99 20
The following story that you are about to read is what I would have done if I had been a student at Liberty High and I think that that could have pre...
2.9K 39 18
Montgomery de la Cruz x fem/reader Hannah Baker x sister reader Zack Dempsey x reader thirteen reasons why characters aren't mine except for y/n. t...
830K 15.4K 117
Once upon a time a girl named Lils really wanted to publish something while she was working on another story and listening to Fall Out Boy, and then...