Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 7

67 2 51
By SkyAngel_

Shhchchchchchploooo
Shchchchchchchplooo
Shchchchchchchplooo

Delia rouses from her half-sleep, terrified of the pressing night and the strange sounds that come within it.

Completely paralyzed in fear, Delia doesn't move or speak. Her eyes are open but they might as well be shut for how dark it is.

Far away there's a spark of light that turns into flickering fire as it becomes nearer.

The writer nearly screams. A ghoulish face is illuminated by the light. Sunken, dead dark eyes in a haunting face stare back at her.
Dark hair casts dancing shadows over her features.

Delia huddles into the corner, knees drawn tightly to her chest. The end has come. Her worst nightmare, to die in this cellar still in the talons of her vulture-father and his cronies.

Delia's breathing comes out in shallow breaths.

"A-are you Darknae Lady of Death?"

The face twists into an unreadable expression that is so horrifying in the dim light that it makes Delia flinch.

Another light comes from the distance. The Lady of Death's fire flickers and dies as she puts it out. Delia hears scuttling, cockroaches perhaps?

The second light comes nearer, pig eyes.

"Get up cream-cake your father wants you."

Delia's fear doesn't change but mingles with anger.

Pig eyes opens the cage, at that moment Delia's fight or flight instinct kicks in. With Kagon not there to stop her, she chooses flight.

Pig eyes grabs at her but Delia's height and long legs are an advantage against the thin man. She barrels past him in a mad dash out of the cell.

Without so much of a thought Delia does a quick turn left, trying desperately not to slide on the slimy, gravelly ground.

"Come back!" There is a touch of fear in pig eyes' voice. "Besides, you're going the wrong way!"

Delia ignores this, paying attention only to the steady beat of her feet on the ground.

Soon pig eyes' echoing hollers disappear with the darkness, so all that's left is just that. Just like it was before

Except those words.

I won't allow a coward to travel with me. Kagon's voice spits at her.

〰〰〰

"Huh, haven't been in this situation since those guards in the land of Bele mistook me as one of their prisoners." Kagon jokes to the man next to him.

"Boy, you're about to die, this is no time to joke." The man says gruffly.

Kagon shrugs. "Like I said this isn't the first time that I've been about to die."

The man, Kagon's executioner laughs. His laugh is just like his voice, gruff. "Then you better hope you get out of this situation like you did the others."

"I will." Kagon says. "That's why this is all so laughable."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, you'll see."

"Well I'll give you this boy, you got me to laugh."

The executioner carefully chooses a strong rope and tightens it around Kagon's neck. "If you're going to escape you better act quick son, because you're the first one up."

"I prefer to take my time, thank you."

"Fates you're arrogant." The executioner mutters, pushing Kagon up to the stage.

The whole village watches from ground level, either with sad eyes or mouths screaming for blood. Davel and Lis stand at the front of the crowd with the best view.

Davel's eyes gleam as he stands up from his chair, that very movement demanding attention and silence and getting it.

"Are you ready to watch me escape!" Kagon jeers.

Davel's smug smile changes to a furious one.
"Actually executioner, I'd like to change his hanging to a beheading. Once you're done preparing him hand me the axe. I'll take care of this one."

"Seems to me like I get the day off." The executioner shrugs, doing as Davel says.

Once done Davel mounts the stage, taking the axe from the executioner, who steps offstage.

Davil smiles, swinging the axe idly.

"Ready to die hero?"

"Are you?"

The man's smile evaporates into a frown. "Funny I haven't known you anymore than a day and I already loath your existence."

"I have that kind of charm on some people."

"I see, then I suppose I'll be doing them all a favor." Davel lifts the axe, the sharp end sparkles in the morning light.
How pretty.

A mighty crack ensues.

〰〰〰

She hasn't stopped moving.

Delia's run has become a steady trot. Her breaths comes out ragged and she can feel sweat gathering on her brow.

This place is a labyrinth.....

Shhchchchchchploooo
Shchchchchchchplooo
Shchchchchchchplooo

That sound, has Darknae finally come to take me?

A cold shaking hand, clammy with sweat grabs her wrist. A hand that feels as if maybe, just maybe the person connected to it is just as terrified and alone as she is.

"Follow." The voice is just a frail whisper, a whisper that somehow puts all her fears at ease.

After awhile of being pulled along in the opposite direction Delia had been going in she speaks. "Are you Darknae Lady and goddess of the void?"

The lady laughs, it's a dry and cracked sort of laugh as if her throat is caked with dust. "No. If there is a Darknae she should of taken my scarred body long ago."

"Then who are you?" Delia asks.

"An old woman, who may not be dead but has been dead to the world above for years now."

"I'm sorry you ended up like this."

"Me too."

They both walk in silence. The only sound is the strange Shhchchchchchploooo of the woman's feet.

"We're getting close."

The woman halts nearly causing Delia to stumble into her.

"Just up these steps is the way out. When you reach the top put your hands on the ceiling door with all your might and you'll be able to escape."

"Won't you be coming with?" Delia asks, looking over to the woman shrouded in the robes of darkness.

"No, I'm dead to the world up top, remember?"

"Please, I can't leave you. We will be able to escape. We'll leave Pikk so my father Davel can never find us."

The woman chokes what seems to be a sob and her hand tightens around Delia's wrist. "Davel is your father? Then you must be Delia, daughter of Mildred."

"Yes." Delia says surprised. "Did you know my mother?"

"Y-you could say that."

"Then I must help you!"

"No. I'll slow you down. Go on up top, live your life Delia and never allow anyone to ever take away your freedom because it can be fleeting."

The woman drops Delia's hand and lightly pushes her forward.

"No, wait!"

Shhchchchchchploooo
Shchchchchchchplooo
Shchchchchchchplooo

The woman's steps quickly fade away, already deep into the maze.

Delia looks into the shadows, trying to find her savior but to no avail.

She left me with no choice. Delia thinks regretfully.

And so the young writer ascends the stairs, her fingers trailing against the gross walls.

A sliver of light cuts through the night of the cellar. Delia tries to look through this crack in the ceiling door but can see nothing but light. The sunlight she has been craving ever since she was closed off to it.

To get to the beautiful sunlight Delia pushes hard against the door. Shoving at it until finally the ceiling door is thrown open.

She's met with surprised sky blue eyes.

Kagon?!

The surprise quickly diminishes from the hero. "Huh, well that worked out better than I expected!" He laughs boisterously before offering a hand to Delia.

The writer takes it and the hero pulls her out of the hole. "Come writer Delia, I have horses waiting."

Delia follows him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "But what of my father and the others?"

Kagon laughs. "Let us begin our journey and I'll tell you of the tale."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126 3 7
After weeks of traveling, Rhenor and Kaz finally arrive in Sigallah to hopefully meet up with Kaz's friend Elaya. After spending the day in the city...
6.4K 1.6K 29
After partly avenging her mother's death, Evette Star, the illegitimate daughter of an elven king, sets off on a warpath to find the adversary of her...
192 1 46
Book 1 of The Sword of M'Rael - Alara had learned magic in a kingdom where magic was forbidden to women, and she had gone even further to learn ma...
202K 13.8K 42
A magic-addicted spy trapped in the queen's service must track a princess-turned-assassin in order to earn her freedom, but things get complicated wh...