13 Reasons Why Hannah Baker L...

By espinosa1989

What if Hannah Baker survived her attempt? What would that world look like? In this world, she survives her a... More

Chapter 1: October 9th, 2017
Chapter 2: The Tapes
Chapter 3: Paying The Price
Chapter 4: Sooner Or Later, The Truth Will Come Out!
Chapter 5: Free Solo
Chapter 6: Tape 9
Chapter 7: The Stop Sign
Chapter 8: Clay's Tape
Chapter 9: The Confrontation
Chapter 10: It Has To Get Better
Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid
Chapter 12: The Hallucination
Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony
Chapter 14: The 2nd Polaroid
Chapter 15: Hannah's Poems
Chapter 16: The Secret Relationship
Chapter 17: Clay Testifies
Chapter 18: The Tapes Are Out
Chapter 19: Porter's Testimony
Chapter 20: The Clubhouse
Chapter 21: Bryce & ChlΓΆe
Chapter 22: Awakening
Chapter 23: Confronting Monty
Chapter 24: The Verdict
Chapter 25: The Sentencing
Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial
Chapter 27: Spring Fling
Chapter 28: The New Girl
Chapter 29: The Disappearance of Bryce Walker
Chapter 30: Jessica's Speech
Chapter 31: The Truth About ChlΓΆe
Chapter 32: Student Body President Jessica Davis
Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead
Chapter 34: Tyler
Chapter 35: Tyler's Gun
Chapter 36: The Problem With Alex Standall
Chapter 37: The Funeral
Chapter 38: There Are A Number Of Problems With Clay Jensen
Chapter 40: The Problem With Justin
Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1
Chapter 42: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.2
Chapter 43: What Does Charlie Know?
Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor
Chapter 45: Homecoming
Chapter 46: Let The Dead Bury The Dead
Chapter 47: It's Not Supposed To Be Easy For People Like Us
Chapter 48: SRO
Chapter 49: Sanderson University
Chapter 50: The Mysterious Caller
Chapter 51: Love Is Love
Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods
Chapter 53: Find Your Drink
Chapter 54: Is It A Drill? Part 1
Chapter 55: Is It A Drill? Part 2
Chapter 56: The Session
Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal
Chapter 58: Gordon Lightfoot
Chapter 59: The Walkout & The Riot
Chapter 60: Prom Part 1
Chapter 61: Prom Part 2
Chapter 62: The Finals Days Of Justin Foley
Chapter 63: Justin's Funeral
Chapter 64: The Return Of The Tapes
Chapter 65: Graduation
Chapter 66: Goodbye
Chapter 67: 20 Years Later
Chapter 68: The Reason Why I'm Still Going

Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor

44 2 0
By espinosa1989

I came to the one person who would tell me about that night with Clay, Bryce, & the gun. I came to the Chatham house to talk to Mrs. Walker. She was surprised to see here, again.

Nora Walker: Come in.

I enter the Chatham house as I see Ani's mother standing in the kitchen looking at me.

Hannah Baker: You must be Ani's mother. I'm Hannah, I'm a friend of Ani.

Nora Walker: And of Clay Jensen.

Amara Josephine Achola: You're the girl who tried to take her own life.

Hannah Baker: Ani told you about that?

Nora Walker: No, but I did. So what brings you to my home, for a 3rd time.

Hannah Baker: I need to know what happened the night that Clay came to your home with a gun. I heard that you have footage.

Nora Walker: I do.

Hannah Baker: May I see it.

Nora Walker: Amara Josephine, can you give Hannah a towel to dry off. Follow me.

Mrs. Walker agreed to show me the footage a she leads me to her office.

Nora Walker: I have to warn you. Because of what you did, I have to caution you in what Clay does before my son stepped out.

I'm worried now. What could Clay have done before pointing the gun at Bryce. She turns on her laptop and brings up the video. Ani's mom comes in and hands me a towel as I dry off. Mrs. Walker turns her laptop to my direction as she presses play. I see Clay walking in the driveway with the gun in his hand as Justin arrives in Clay's Prius. Justin tries to stop him but then Clay points the gun at Justin. I couldn't believe he would do that to Justin as well.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god!

Now Clay is pointing the gun to his own head. Tears begin to fall down from my eyes. Clay, what has happened to you? Clay is looking at something and saying something, but the video doesn't have audio. Now I see Bryce coming out from the front door of his house. Clay lowers the gun and he's shaking. Now he points the gun at Bryce.

Hannah Baker: (Whispering) Clay, what have you done?

I then see Clay lowering the gun as Justin takes it away from him. The video ends there. All I can do is cry.

Nora Walker: Amara Josephine, can you make her some tea? Hannah, have a seat.

Mrs. Walker leads me to the living room and sits me down on a chair as she sits on another next to me.

Nora Walker: I'm sorry you had to see that.

Ani's mom bring me a cup of tea as I take a drink to help calm me down.

Nora Walker: I know you care about Clay Jensen, but he did hated Bryce for what he did to you & Jessica Davis.

I calm down and set the cup on the table.

Hannah Baker: I never should've made those tapes. It drove him to do that.

Nora Walker: If you hadn't, then we wouldn't had known what Bryce did to you & Jessica.

I hear noise coming from upstairs.

Amara Josephine Achola: I'll handle it.

Ani's mother heads upstairs. Must be Bryce's grandfather that Ani told me about.

Nora Walker: My father.

Hannah Baker: I'm sorry about your father. Ani told me about him. And I'm sorry about Bryce. I never wanted him dead. I'm not that kind of person.

Nora Walker: But Clay may be.

Hannah Baker: He wouldn't.

Nora Walker: How well do you know him?

Hannah Baker: Since I moved here 2 years ago. I first meet him when he started in The Crestmont, 2 months after I moved here. We've been friends since then. But last year... I pushed him away.

Nora Walker: He's done some things that are...

Hannah Baker: I know about the time he "tried to buy drugs" from Bryce. I heard that tape. He took a beating for me.

Nora Walker: Hannah, what my son did to you and to Jessica was unforgivable. When I listened to the tapes, I believed you.

She did?

Hannah Baker: You did?

Nora Walker: I even confronted Bryce about it and he admit it to raping you. I slapped him and called him a stranger.

I couldn't believe what she told me. Bryce admit it to raping me to his own mother.

Hannah Baker: Is that why you paid for my hospital bills?

Nora Walker: I felt responsible for what happened to you, Hannah. Because I was the one who...

Hannah Baker: It wasn't your fault, Mrs. Walker.

Nora Walker: That's not the boy who I raised. I am sorry for what he did to you.

I just nod at Mrs. Walker. After we were done, I get up to leave.

Nora Walker: I didn't tell the police about when you came here and attacked Bryce the night before Homecoming.

I stopped at the door.

Nora Walker: But there is something you should know. That night, before you came, Clay came here and had an exchanged with Bryce. I heard Clay say to him "I will fucking kill you." The police know about it. Just thought you should know.

I can't believe Clay came here the night before Homecoming and said that to Bryce. I open the door and walk out of the Chatham house and walk towards my car in the rain. I get in my car and I just sit there not knowing what to do. I pull out my phone and I scroll through my contacts list. I click on Justin's number as it rings until he picks up.

Justin Foley: Hannah.

Hannah Baker: Justin, I'm at the Chatham house.

Justin Foley: What? What are you doing there?

Hannah Baker: I saw it. I saw the footage. Clay, Bryce, the gun.

Justin Foley: Shit.

Hannah Baker: Just tell me this. When Clay pointed the gun to his head, what was he saying?

Justin Foley: Hannah...

Hannah Baker: Just tell me. Please.

Justin thought about it. There was no point in arguing.

Justin Foley: He said "How do I make her stop? She won't stop." It was like, he was seeing you. And then you woke up.

I just hang up the phone.

Bryce Walker: You know he did it.

I turn towards the passenger seat and I see Bryce.

Hannah Baker: You're not really here. You're dead.

Bryce Walker: And yet I'm here. Clay killed me and yet you defend him.

I close my eyes and just breath in and out like Dr. Ellman told me to do whenever I see Bryce. I open my eyes and he was gone. I start my car up and leave the Chatham house. I have to talk to Clay.

Back in the outhouse, Clay arrived to see Ani inside the outhouse. He takes a step forward but Ani takes another step back.

Clay Jensen: Seriously?

Ani Achola: Clay...

Clay Jensen: What do you think I might do, huh? And you were searching my room, for what?

Ani Achola: I don't know.

Clay Jensen: Why were you asking around about me today?

Ani Achola: Why didn't you tell me about that night? With Bryce... and the gun?

Clay Jensen: It was a stupid mistake, and nothing happened.

Ani Achola: What about Hannah? She didn't know about it. You never told her about it.

Clay Jensen: Why would I? There's plenty of shit you didn't tell me!

Ani Achola: You really hated Bryce!

Clay Jensen: Yeah, I did. I told you that. Multiple time!

Ani Achola: You hated him enough to point a gun at him.

Clay Jensen: Uh-huh. Keep going.

Ani Achola: Why does nobody know where you were on Homecoming night?

Clay Jensen: Jesus, how many people did you ask?

Ani Achola: Justin said that you got in at 1:30 am, Tyler said that you dropped him off at 11:00 pm. That's 2 & a half hours!

Clay Jensen: You did a fucking timeline?

Ani Achola: Where were you?

Clay Jensen: I was driving around! Okay? Trying to clear my head!

Ani Achola: Until 1:30 in the morning?

Clay Jensen: Yeah, MY FUCKING HEART WAS BROKEN!

Ani Achola: Just don't... Don't shout at me!

Clay Jensen: You think I killed him?

Ani Achola: I don't want to.

Clay Jensen: You think I could do something like that? That I could... I could kill a person? A human being?

Ani begins to tear down & shake head slowly.

Ani Achola: I don't know.

Clay Jensen: Get the fuck out of here. Go. GO!

I arrive to the Jensen's as I park across the street. I see Ani running out from the driveway in the rain. She didn't look ok.

Hannah Baker: Clay, what did you do?

I step out of my car and walk through the rain towards the outhouse. I knock on the door.

Clay Jensen: Go away!

Hannah Baker: It's Hannah!

Clay opens the door for me. I immediately hug him as he hugs me back. I let go of him as I look at him and he's now Bryce.

Bryce Walker: I love you, Hannah. (Chuckling)

I close my eyes and do my breathing technic. I open my eyes and I'm seeing Clay.

Clay Jensen: Bryce?

I nod at him as he closes the door. I look around and the place is a mess.

Clay Jensen: Sorry the place is a mess. I take it you heard.

I turn to look him in the eye.

Hannah Baker: What the fuck were you thinking?

Clay Jensen: I wasn't.

Hannah Baker: (Sighs) I went to see Mrs. Walker.

Clay Jensen: Why would you do that?

Hannah Baker: I needed to see it.

Clay Jensen: The video?

I nod at him.

Hannah Baker: Even the part when you pointed the gun to your head.

I have a seat on his bed.

Hannah Baker: I then called Justin and told him that I watched the video. I asked him what were you saying when you pointed the gun on your head.

Clay sits down on his bed next to me.

Hannah Baker: He said that you were seeing & hearing me. This happened when I woke up from my coma.

Clay Jensen: (Sighs) Hannah... I know we promised to tell each other everything, but I haven't been completely honest with you. When you were in a coma, I've been seeing you everywhere. It began when I started listening to the tapes. Then you started talking to me. After Bryce & Chlöe testified, you were just repeating Bryce's tape. You wouldn't shut up and that's when I... you know. After you woke up and got out of the hospital, it stopped.

I couldn't believe Clay went through that.

Clay Jensen: And now it's happening to you with Bryce. When you get close to me, you see him.

Hannah Baker: This is all so fucked up.

Clay Jensen: Yeah.

Hannah Baker: Did you really threatened Bryce, the night before Homecoming?

Clay looks at me with guilt on his face.

Hannah Baker: Mrs. Walker told me.

Clay Jensen: Fuck. (Sighs) I did. I went over there to ask Ani out for the Homecoming dance. But I ran into him on his driveway in his car which is how the cops got my finger prints from it.

Hannah Baker: They have your finger prints?

Clay Jensen: Yeah. Bryce said something about Ani and I told him to stay away from her. And that's when I told him that I'll kill him if he got near Ani. I didn't mean it. With the video footage, my finger prints, & the threat, it's enough for me to be their prime suspect.

Jesus. The cops think that Clay killed Bryce. I just stayed with him all night because he need someone who believes him. I believe him and so does Justin, Tony, Jessica, & Alex. He needed a friend and Ani wasn't it. Clay told me that Ani thinks he did it. I can't believe her. I'll have a talk with her tomorrow.

The next day, Nora Walker goes to Monet's and buys a cup of coffee. She then goes to have a seat at a booth where Kevin Porter was waiting for her.

Kevin Porter: Good morning.

Nora Walker: Good morning.

Kevin Porter: Thank you for coming to meet me. I thought it was safer than the house.

Nora Walker: "Safer"?

Kevin Porter: I have an appointment with Sheriff Diaz this morning.

Nora Walker: I see.

Kevin Porter: They want me to come in on background. And I wanted you to know, so you didn't think... so you knew that... what went on between you, me and Bryce... I won't say a thing about that.

Nora Walker: I wish you wouldn't. They're looking at Clay Jensen.

Kevin Porter: They are? Wow.

Nora Walker: He always hated Bryce. Threatened him on more than one occasion. There's quite a case to be made. Perhaps you can help them make it?

Kevin Porter: Maybe. The appointment with Sheriff Diaz... it's going to happen at Liberty. He's gonna want me to ask Clay's friends about him. That includes talking to Hannah Baker.

Nora Walker: She came to my house last night. She wanted to see the footage. You haven't spoken to her since...?

Kevin Porter: That day, last year. I figured she doesn't want to talk to me.

At the Jensen home, Clay & Justin are sitting down at the breakfast table in the kitchen with Matt & Lainie as they ask Clay more questions about Bryce.

Lainie Jensen: So, you didn't see Bryce after that? Over the summer, this fall?

Clay Jensen: No.

Lainie Jensen: You had no contact with him at all?

Clay & Justin gave each other a look before Clay could answer that question.

Clay Jensen: No. No contact at all.

Lainie Jensen: Never went over to his house? Threatened him again?

Clay Jensen: No.

Lainie Jensen: Can you think of any other reasons why the police would suspect you?

Clay Jensen: It's Mrs. Walker, she's out to get me. Look, you have to believe me. I didn't do anything.

Matt Jensen: Clay, we believe you. We just... the more we know, the better we can protect you.

Clay Jensen: There's nothing to know.

Lainie Jensen: Dennis has agreed to represent you. He started out in the PD's office. He knows criminal defense.

Clay Jensen: I'm not a criminal

Matt Jensen: We know.

Lainie Jensen: Clay, we need to take action. We need to protect you.

Clay Jensen: So, what... what can I do?

Lainie Jensen: Nothing. Dennis was very clear about that.

Matt Jensen: You don't wanna give the police or Mrs.Walker anything they can use against you.

Lainie Jensen: And we'd like you to see Dr. Ellman.

Clay Jensen: Why?

Matt Jensen: Just to check in. This is a tricky time. It might be useful to... talk it through.

Clay Jensen: So, you think I'm, like, crazy?

Matt Jensen: We don't.

Lainie Jensen: Mental illness might come up.

Matt Jensen: We don't! We just thought it might be worth talking about to him. Right now, you boys have to get to school.

Clay & Justin go to the outhouse and get ready for school.

Justin Foley: All I'm saying is your folks are doing the right thing. You need a lawyer, even if you didn't do anything. Trust me.

Clay Jensen: What's it like? In juvie?

Justin Foley: Dude, you're not going to juvie.

Clay Jensen: No, I'm an adult.

Justin Foley: Clay, you just got to chill out. Just a little bit. It's going to work out.

Clay Jensen: Like it did for you? I have to go talk to Mrs. Walker.

Justin Foley: Why... why the fuck?

Clay Jensen: At the sheriff's station the first time, I could tell her the truth to her face.

Justin Foley: Your mom literally just said do not do anything suspicious.

Clay Jensen: She also thinks I'm a crazy person.

Justin Foley: I feel like you going to talk to Mrs. Walker right now kind of supports that theory.

Clay Jensen: They're getting me a lawyer because they had to take action. That's what she said. Same for me.

Clay walks away as Justin calls for him. Clay gets in his car and goes to the Chatham house as he knocks on the door. The door opens as it's answered by Ani's mother.

Amara Josephine Achola: Yes? What are you doing here?

Clay Jensen: I'm actually...

Amara Josephine Achola: If you're looking for my daughter, she's at school, where I think you should be.

Clay Jensen: No. I mean, yes, I should, but... I came to see Mrs. Walker.

Amara Josephine Achola: She's not home.

Nora Walker: Let him in.

Clay can hear Nora from inside the house as he's let in. Clay goes to meet her inside her office.

Nora Walker: So, stalking in our driveway wasn't enough? You want to add trespassing to the list?

Clay Jensen: Mrs. Walker, I just... I thought maybe we could talk.

Nora Walker: I'm guessing your parents don't know you're here.

Clay Jensen: No.

Nora Walker: What exactly do you want to talk about, Clay?

Clay Jensen: When we spoke at the police station, you said Bryce had hurt me, that we didn't get along. And you were right, I hated Bryce. But I didn't want him dead.

Nora Walker: But you threatened to kill him.

Clay Jensen: Look, when you told me he might be hurt, I... Yeah, I hoped that was true. Because he'd hurt so many people in my life, and if he was gone, I... maybe the hurting would... would stop. And I... I'm sorry your son in dead. He was a human being and he didn't deserve to die. But you have to believe me, I didn't kill him.

A loud sound was heard coming from another room.

Amara Josephine Achola: Mr. Chatham, please! You have to eat your breakfast.

Nora Walker: Will you excuse me? One moment.

Nora gets up from her seat and leaves the office room to check on her father. After Nora leave, Clay get up and begins to dig around and finds a file that says "Bryce Letters" and finds a letter. Clay immediately leaves and heads for school.

When I got to school, I saw that Justin came alone. He told me about the talk they had with Clay's parents about Clay's situation. Dennis, my parent's lawyer for my trial, agreed to represent Clay. Clay's gonna need him. Justin also told me that the reason he came alone is because the dumbass went to talk to Mrs. Walker. So I decided to wait for Clay outside. He finally shows up as he walks up to me and I smack him behind his head.

Clay Jensen: Ow, what was...?

Hannah Baker: For being stupid. You went to talk to Mrs. Walker.

Clay Jensen: I had too.

Inside the hallways, Justin & Alex are having a argument.

Justin Foley: Don't fuck shit up 'cause you're still in love with her!

Alex Standall: You have no idea what you're talking about!

Justin Foley: She's fucking scared of you, Alex.

Alex Standall: What, so she sent you to fight for her, man? Fuck that!

Alex pushes Justin.

Justin Foley: All right, Roid Monster! Take a fucking breath.

Alex Standall: Yeah, I'm the monster. What are you on today, Justin?

Me & Clay enter the school and see Alex & Justin arguing, probably about Jessica.

Hannah Baker: For fuck's sake.

Alex Standall: Does she even know?

Justin Foley: Know what? Just move on. Just leave her alone and move on.

Alex Standall: Why, so you can let her get raped again?

Justin Foley: Fuck you!

Justin pushes Alex.

Alex Standall: Fuck you!

Alex pushes back as they're now scuffling with each other as me & Clay step in to break it up.

Clay Jensen: Hey, guys. Guys! Stop it! Stop!

Hannah Baker: That's enough!

We then see Sheriff Diaz and a deputy enter the school.

Alex Standall: What the fuck?

Hannah Baker: Now what?

Kevin Porter: Morning.

Sheriff Diaz: Good morning, doc. Thanks for coming down.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Hannah's eyes widen when she sees Kevin Porter entering the school and shakes Sheriff Diaz's hand.

Clay Jensen: Holy shit.

Sheriff Diaz: Let's go right in.

Justin Foley: What the fuck is he doing here?

Mr. Porter spots us and walks inside the school's office.

Clay Jensen: Hannah, you ok?

Hannah Baker: I just... I need to be alone, right now.

Hannah runs off through the hallways as the guys look on.

Alex Standall: Shit, is this the first time since...?

Clay Jensen: That day, last year. That was the last time she ever saw and spoke to him.

I headed straight for the girls room. I was working on my breathing.

Bryce Walker: Mr. Porter. Wonder what's he doing back at Liberty and with the cops? Probably about Clay.

He's back in my head again.

Hannah Baker: Go away.

Bryce Walker: Why else would he be here with the sheriff?

Hannah Baker: I said go away!

Bryce Walker: And you haven't spoken to Mr. Porter since he told you to move one. Remember that, Hannah?

Hannah Baker: I SAID SHUT UP!!!

Holy shit, that was loud. I hope no one outside heard. Good thing I'm the only one here. Bryce was gone. All I can think about is Porter. Why is he here?

Principal Bolan wasn't too keen to have Porter questioning some of the student on the police's behalf. Bolan is needed off campus so Vice Principal Childs will be joining them. Clay goes to woodshop class to inform Tony & Tyler that Porter is back and he's with the sheriff.

Clay Jensen: Look, I'm telling you, it was Porter with the Sheriff. And Hannah wasn't happy seeing him again after a year.

Tony Padilla: Why the hell would he come back here?

Clay Jensen: It's got to be about Bryce, right?

Tyler Down: What if he knows about me somehow?

Clay Jensen: How could he? It has to be about Bryce.

Miss Douglas: Miss Adams?

Miss Douglas enter the classroom.

Miss Douglas: Tyler Down is needed in the Principal's office.

Tyler gets up and goes with Miss Douglas.

Tony Padilla: If this is about you and they're starting with him...

Clay Jensen: We're all fucked.

The school bell rings as Alex goes to his class where Jessica is also in. Alex sits down next to Jessica...

Alex Standall: Thanks for sending Justin to smack me down.

Jessica Davis: Oh, my God. I didn't send Justin to do anything.

Alex Standall: Look, I'm sorry about yesterday.

Jessica Davis: Whatever.

Alex Standall: Porter's here with the Sheriff.

Jessica Davis: Wait, who? Porter? Counselor Porter? What the fuck? Why?

Alex Standall: It's got to be about Bryce, right?

Jessica Davis: But what would he know?

Alex Standall: A lot about last year. Didn't you talk to him about shit?

Jessica Davis: Not really. Does Hannah know?

Alex Standall: Does she know? She saw him. She didn't look ok when she saw him. Clay told me that she hasn't seen him or talked to him since last year.

Jessica Davis: Since that day.

Alex Standall: Yeah.

Tyler was brought into Vice Principal Child's office as he is being welcomed by Kevin Porter.

Kevin Porter: Hey, Tyler. It's good to see you.

Porter puts his hand on Tyler's shoulder, but he immediately rubs it off as Porter was surprised by his action.

Kevin Porter: Come in and have a seat.

Tyler has a seat as he notice the sheriff & the Vice Principal are also in the room as Porter takes a seat next to Tyler.

Tyler Down: Should my parents be here?

Sheriff Diaz: Well, that's not necessary, Tyler.

Kevin Porter: It's nothing to worry about, we just want to have a conversation.

Tyler Down: About what?

Sheriff Diaz: Well, you're not obligated to answer any questions and we're not holding you. We just want to ask you a few questions about Clay Jensen.

As Tyler speaks with the sheriff & Porter, Clay goes to find Ani in the rec room as she's doing her homework. Clay is still mad at her, but he needs her help because she lives at the Chatham house. Clay enters the rec room and joins Ani.

Clay Jensen: So, yeah. I don't really want to speak to you probably ever again, but... you should probably see this.

Clay takes out the letter from his backpack and hands Ani the letter that he found on Mrs. Walker's desk.

Ani Achola: What is it?

Clay Jensen: A letter. From Mrs. Walker to her son saying that she hates him and that she'd be better off without him.

Ani Achola: Clay, you don't actually think Mrs. Walker has anything to do with this?

Clay Jensen: It's all in there. And it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Parents are always the 1st suspects, but no one looked at Mrs. Walker because, well, she's Mrs. Walker. That's why she's had it out for me this whole time. She's trying to pin this whole thing on me.

Ani Achola: Where did you get this?

Clay Jensen: From her desk.

Ani Achola: What? When?

Clay Jensen: This morning.

Ani Achola: Clay, you went to... Are you serious? Did my mum see you?

Clay Jensen: She answered the door. I told her I was there to talk to Mrs. Walker.

Ani Achola: Do you have any idea the trouble you've made for me?

Clay Jensen: I'm sorry, I'm about to go to jail for murder. Can we save the cultural ramifications of us knowing each other until after I'm out from under this...

Ani Achola: Okay, it's not a cultural thing, Clay! My mum sat there with the police and I said I didn't know you, wasn't caught up with you.

Clay Jensen: So, that's your story now? That you don't know me? What's your story about Bryce? You never went into the main house? Your mother kept you apart? You're this sheltered little girl...

Ani Achola: You're being crazy!

Clay Jensen: You've been lying to everybody. You fucked him!

Ani looks around and sees Zach Dempsey sitting at a table with Charlie St. George and some of the football players and they might've just heard what Clay just said and Clay just notices that they are sitting there.

Ani Achola: What did or did not go on between me & Bryce, it doesn't neither of us any good if the whole bloody world knows. Calm the fuck down!

Miss Douglas comes in and calls in Zach Dempsey. Zach grabs his things and crutches his way to the office.

Clay Jensen: The Sheriff's in Bolan's office right now with our old counselor Mr. Porter, who I know is going to tell them that I'm unstable and that I act out when I'm angry. And he's pulling in every one of my friends to back him up. And on top of that, Hannah saw him and she's not taking it well because she told him what Bryce did to her and did nothing and that was the day she tried taking her own life. I do not have time to calm the fuck down. You either with me or against me.

Ani Achola: Mrs. Walker didn't kill her son.

Clay Jensen: How do you know? Tell me, Ani. How do you know?

Zach was the next person to be questioned about Clay.

Kevin Porter: When Clay found out that you were in a relationship with Hannah, did he confront you?

Zach Dempsey: Uh, I guess.

Kevin Porter: You guess?

Zach Dempsey: Yes. Yeah.

Kevin Porter: So what happened?

Zach Dempsey: Um... well, he yelled at me, but I totally deserved it.

Kevin Porter: Right, and when he yelled at you, did he threaten you?

Zach Dempsey: No.

Kevin Porter: Did he attack you?

Zach Dempsey: (Scoffs) No.

Kevin Porter: All right, did he ever apologize?

Zach Dempsey: No disrespect, Mr. Porter, but why are you asking me this?

Kevin Porter: I'm just trying to help the Sheriff understand everything that happened here over the past year.

Zach Dempsey: With Hannah? With what happened to her?

Kevin Porter: And how that impacted Clay.

Zach Dempsey: Clay and I, we're not friends, really, and there's a lot of stuff that we don't agree on, but... I respect him. He is a good person and he always tells the truth. So, no... I didn't need him to apologize to me, because he was right.

After Zach was done, he steps out and runs into Alex who was called in. After Zach leaves, Alex notices Clay standing in the hallway looking at him as he goes in to talk to Porter.

Kevin Porter: You remember in the audio when Clay goes over to Bryce's house to buy drugs?

Alex Standall: He was lying. Clay doesn't do drugs.

Kevin Porter: You never saw Clay use drugs?

Alex thought back to last year when he was invited by Jeff Atkins to his house to do Molly. Clay, Hannah, Sheri Holland, & Jeff's girlfriend, Leah were there and they all did Molly. Alex just looked at the sheriff and said nothing.

Kevin Porter: All right. In the tape, he confronts Bryce, accuses him of sexual assault.

Alex Standall: Yeah, which was true. Bryce raped Hannah.

Kevin Porter: Then it sounds like Clay escalated the conflict by throwing the first punch?

Alex Standall: Clay didn't go there for revenge. He allowed himself to get the shit beat out of him so we would know the truth, and I admire him for that.

Kevin Porter: For taking justice into his own hands? Alex, he could've gone to an adult.

Alex Standall: Hannah went to an adult!

That got to Porter, and he knew Alex was right.

Alex Standall: Clay knew that no one would believe Hannah unless Bryce confessed. It was never about hurting Bryce, it was about justice for Hannah.

Ani was in the school office signing a paper when she sees Alex leaving the Vice Principal's office and she sees Kevin Porter that Clay was talking about. She recognized him. More importantly, she recognized the notebook he had in his hands. Ani immediately leaves as Porter sees her and might've recognized her. Porter goes out to try to follow her but loses her in the crowd. However, he does see Monty blowing a kiss and blowing air at Tyler. Porter notices Tyler stopping at the presence of Monty, something he never did before back when Porter was a counselor at Liberty. Ani finds Clay at his locker...

Ani Achola: The man in Bolan's office with the Sheriff, that's the Mr. Porter you were talking about?

Clay Jensen: Yes. Why?

Ani Achola: I know him. He's been to the house. He and Bryce argued.

Clay Jensen: He's been at the house? Why? And what were they arguing about?

Ani Achola: I believe... I believe Bryce said something about the man choking him. And then Bryce left, and he, Mr. Porter, said to Mrs. Walker, "It could get ugly."

Clay Jensen: What could get ugly?

Ani Achola: I don't know.

Clay Jensen: Ani, Porter's in there trying to bring me down. Can you remember anything else? Or maybe there's more at the house?

Ani Achola: Clay, I can't... I can't just go looking around.

Clay Jensen: Yeah, right. No, I know. Your mom, the house... But you did manage to fuck Bryce at the house, right?

It's lunch time, Hannah is sitting down at a table alone eating her lunch as Jessica enters the cafeteria and joins her.

Jessica Davis: Hey, I've been looking for you.

Hannah Baker: Well, you've found me.

Jessica Davis: Is it true? Porter is back?

Hannah nods at Jessica.

Jessica Davis: Why is he here and with the sheriff?

Hannah Baker: It's gotta be about Clay, Right?

Jessica Davis: How does Porter fit in all of this?

Hannah Baker: I don't know.

Jessica Davis: I talked to Clay right now. He said that they pulled Tyler, Zach, & Alex in with Porter.

Hannah Baker: Shit.

Jessica Davis: That means they'll probably call us in. Meaning that it'll be you & Porter in the same room.

The thought of me being in the same room as Porter is nerve wrecking. I just look at my lunch...

Bryce Walker: Don't you think it's time to talk to Porter?

I look up and Bryce is in front of me instead of Jessica.

Bryce Walker: Don't worry, I'm here for you.

Bryce puts his hand on top of mine as I quickly pull it away.

Hannah Baker: Don't touch me!

Jessica Davis: Whoa! Easy.

Bryce was gone and Jessica is back. Bryce is fucking with my head even when he's dead.

Hannah Baker: Sorry. I'm sorry.

Jessica Davis: What's gotten into you?

Hannah Baker: Porter. Seeing him in the hallway set me back 8 months, hell a whole year.

Jessica Davis: Which was the last time you spoke to him.

Hannah Baker: Yeah. And I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm in the same room as him.

Meanwhile, Cyrus was called in to speak with Porter.

Sheriff Diaz: You're not obligated to answer any questions and we're not holding you. We just want to ask you a few questions about Clay Jensen.

Kevin Porter: And Tyler Down.

Cyrus: Okay.

Kevin Porter: Are you still friends with Tyler?

Cyrus: Not really.

Kevin Porter: Why not?

Cyrus: I don't know. He changed. We just... drifted apart.

Kevin Porter: Changed how?

Cyrus: I don't know exactly.

Kevin Porter: Then what can you tell us about Clay Jensen?

Cyrus: He's a good guy. He's always been really nice to me. Feels responsible for people. And he wants to do the right thing.

After Cyrus was done, Justin was next.

Kevin Porter: Tell me about that fight in the hall last semester.

Justin Foley: I started that fight, not Clay. Bryce lied in court about Hannah.

Kevin Porter: And did that make you angry?

Justin Foley: Yes.

Kevin Porter: And did it make Clay angry?

Justin Foley: We were all angry. Things just got out of hand.

Kevin Porter: Do you think that Clay took that opportunity to attack Bryce?

Justin Foley: No. He was beating the shit out of me. Clay tried to pull him off, to protect me.

Kevin Porter: It feels like Clay went after Bryce more than once in the past year?

Justin Foley: Didn't you?

Kevin Porter: We're not talking about me.

Justin Foley: Maybe we should be.

Kevin Porter: Well, maybe we should be telling the truth about Clay and how he brought you back to Evergreen against your will.

Justin Foley: No, he got me off the streets.

Kevin Porter: He took revenge on Tyler, on Courtney.

Justin Foley: No, he tried to get people to own up to what they did.

Kevin Porter: Including you?

Justin Foley: Yeah. Including me.

Kevin Porter: He acts out of emotion. He goes after people.

Justin Foley: He doesn't "go after people." He tries to do the right thing, always. You know that! I don't know what you're... He's a good person. And if he acts out of emotion, it's because he fucking cares! Which is more than most people in this fucking school. He saved my life.

Porter smiled at Justin hearing how good of a person Clay is. After Justin was done, they called Jessica next.

Kevin Porter: He sent around a picture of Tyler and keyed Zach's car.

Jessica Davis: He wanted people to feel the way Hannah did.

Kevin Porter: But did Clay ever confront you?

Jessica Davis: No. When he heard my tape, he told me he'd burn the tapes if I wanted him to.

Kevin Porter: But then he published Hannah's tapes, violating your privacy?

Jessica Davis: No! He asked me first.

Kevin Porter: But then he put pressure on you to go to the police and to testify?

Jessica Davis: He believed I was strong enough to tell my story even when I didn't.

Kevin Porter: But he put pressure on you?

Jessica Davis: So did you! And look, if I never tell my story with Hannah, Bryce never gets arrested, so...

Kevin Porter: So, what? The ends justify the means and what he did is okay?

Jessica Davis: No, it makes it not black and white. You want to paint him as this bad guy, but the fact is, he's not.

They had no more questions for Jessica. Jessica steps out of Vice Principal Child's office and sees Miss Douglas bringing Hannah in. Jessica gives Hannah a hug and wishes her good luck.

It was time. It was time to face Porter. Miss Douglas opens the door and I enter the room and there he was, Mr. Porter. Boy, those he look nervous.

Kevin Porter: Hello, Hannah. It's great to see you again. Alive and well.

I didn't know what to do. So I just did the first thing that came to my mind. I just slapped him.

Vice Principal Childs: Hannah!

Hannah Baker: No thanks to you, asshole!

Sheriff Diaz: Let's just calm down.

Kevin Porter: It's ok. I deserve that. Please, have a seat.

I sit down on a chair as Porter sits down on another next to me.

Sheriff Diaz: Hannah, you're not obligated to answer any questions and we're not holding you. We just want to ask you a few questions about Clay Jensen.

Hannah Baker: He didn't kill Bryce.

Bryce Walker: You're sure about that?

Come on, not now! Please just go away!

Kevin Porter: Look, I know you don't trust me because...

Hannah Baker: Because the last time I came to you, I told you what happened to me and all you can say was "To just move on."

Kevin Porter: And that was my mistake.

Hannah Baker: Mistake?

Kevin Porter: I screwed up, bad. And I'm sorry.

I roll up my sleeves and show him my scars.

Hannah Baker: This is what you mistake lead to! You could've stopped it!

Vice Principal Childs: Hannah, please roll back you sleeves.

I roll back my sleeves. Porter is trying not to cry.

Sheriff Diaz: Hannah, I know you don't trust Mr. Porter. But believe me, he's here to help.

Hannah Baker: Help?

Kevin Porter: I'm just trying to help the Sheriff understand everything that happened here over the past year with Clay.

Hannah Baker: Did you forget that I was in a coma for 5 months and missed out on all the "fun"?

Kevin Porter: Then let's talk about you & Clay. How long have you known him?

Hannah Baker: 2 Years. When I first moved here 2 years ago, I got a job at The Crestmont. 3 Weeks later, Clay gets hired and that's how we meet. We got along that summer and we got closer once school started.

Bryce Walker: Tell them about the part when he thought that you & Justin fucked on your date.

Kevin Porter: Has Clay ever been hostile to you?

Hannah Baker: Hostile?

Kevin Porter: Has he ever gotten angry at you for any reason?

Hannah Baker: I mean... there were 2 times that he got mad at me.

Kevin Porter: Why?

Hannah Baker: When Bryce sent that picture of me around and the rumors started, Clay believed it.

Kevin Porter: What rumor?

Hannah Baker: That I lost my virginity to Justin on our date. I sat with him during lunch that day, trying to avoid the subject I asked if he ever confronted any problem. I might've said something that offended him that made him say to me "Sometimes it's better to wait". I was hurt. He apologized and I forgave him.

Kevin Porter: And the other time?

Hannah Baker: When Jeff Atkins died, I tried to tell him what Bryce did to Jessica and what really happened with Jeff. He saw me crying and he got mad.

Kevin Porter: Why?

Hannah Baker: At first, he thought I was crying about Jeff's death but I barely knew him. He thought I was trying to make it all about me. He was mourning Jeff, it wasn't his fault.

Kevin Porter: It that why you thought he hated you?

Hannah Baker: I did.

Kevin Porter: Do you know what he's done when he listened to your tapes?

Hannah Baker: Yes. He & everyone told me what happened.

Sheriff Diaz: Even the night he went to Bryce's house with the gun

Hannah Baker: No, they never told me about that. They didn't want me to worry.

Kevin Porter: And what did you think about Clay's action while you were in a coma?

Hannah Baker: I wasn't happy with what he's done. He's apologized for it. He was just hurt. He loved me and he almost lost me. Those tapes really screwed him up. Probably my fault.

Kevin Porter: It wasn't your fault.

Bryce Walker: Yes, it was. You did make those tapes.

Kevin Porter: Did the 2 of you had a relationship?

Hannah Baker: We started dating when I got out of the hospital. But then we broke up.

Kevin Porter: Why?

Hannah Baker: I ended it. To focus on my recovery.

Kevin Porter: Do you know where he was on the night of Homecoming?

Hannah Baker: No, I don't. I wasn't at the game.

Kevin Porter: Are you and Clay still friends?

Hannah Baker: Yes, and we'll always be there for each other.

Once he was done asking questions, I got up and got then fuck out of there.

After Porter was done questioning the students, he goes to find Clay who was getting candy from a vending machine. Clay gets his candy and turns around as he gets startled at the presence of Kevin porter.

Clay Jensen: Jesus!

Kevin Porter: Mr. Jensen, I think we should talk.

Clay Jensen: Why should I talk to you?

Clay walks away from Porter, but Porter stops Clay and tries to talk to with him.

Kevin Porter: Hey. Maybe I can help.

Clay Jensen: You're trying to set me up.

Kevin Porter: You think that's what I'm doing?

Clay Jensen: So they won't look at you or Mrs. Walker.

Kevin Porter: They've already looked at me and Mrs. Walker. And I think they decided that they have their man, and that's you.

Clay Jensen: But they don't know about you & Bryce, at his house, do they?

Kevin Porter: What do you know about that?

Clay Jensen: I know that you & Bryce were in contact. I know that you talked to Mrs. Walker about what to do about him, and a few weeks later, he's dead.

Kevin Porter: I imagine you have some questions. I'm at the family counseling center, doing field work for my degree. Call me when you wanna talk.

Porter offer Clay his business card as he takes it.

Clay Jensen: You know, I thought... even after everything, I thought you were a good person. I thought you cared about kids. What the fuck happened to you?

Clay then walks away as Porter looks on. Clay goes to the robotics lab where Ani comes in and informs him that Porter was really helping Bryce.

Ani Achola: Porter was trying to help him.

Clay Jensen: What? How do you know?

Ani Achola: I saw Porter with a journal. Bryce had one just like it.

Ani takes Bryce's journal out from her backpack.

Ani Achola: It's not a coincidence. Porter gave it to him.

Clay Jensen: What does that prove?

Ani Achola: Nothing. Till you read it.

Ani hands the journal over to Clay as he just looks at it but doesn't want to read it.

Clay Jensen: What's it say?

Ani Achola: It says Porter got him to keep a journal, for therapy. And I should warn you, there are... There are things you won't like in there.

Clay Jensen: About you?

Ani Achola: Yes. And about Bryce. About who he was becoming before he died.

Clay Jensen: What about the letter?

Ani Achola: I don't know. Maybe Porter does.

Clay Jensen: Why are you helping me if you think I'm a murderer?

Ani Achola: Uh... I don't know what to think.

Clay Jensen: You can believe the best of Bryce but the worst of me?

Ani Achola: I'm afraid I believe we're all capable of the very worst.

Clay Jensen: Including you?

Clay didn't read the journal, but he did had questions for Porter. Clay went off to search for Hannah as she explained about her meeting with Porter. Clay shows her Bryce's journal and tells her that Ani gave it to him.

Ani told Clay that Bryce had the same exact journal that Porter has right now. Clay wanted to talk to Porter for answers and asked me to tag along. I do want to know what he had to do with Bryce. We agreed to meet at Monet's after school. Porter tells us that he was counseling him.

Hannah Baker: So, you were counseling him?

Kevin Porter: After I left Liberty, I went back to school, for my Master's in social work. I was doing intern hours at the family counseling center, like I told you. Mrs. Walker, she tracked me down there.

Clay Jensen: You specifically? Why not a real therapist?

Kevin Porter: Hmm. Bryce had been to 3 already and fooled them all. And she knew he wasn't gonna fool me. And I guess we both had something to prove.

Clay Jensen: And the journal? You gave it to him?

Kevin Porter: Yes. We met here, as a matter of fact.

Porter tells us that Bryce didn't want to talk at first but he changed his mind, that Bryce wanted to do better and that he met a girl who goes to Claremont Prep. Whoever this girl is better know what she got herself into. Porter asked Bryce how things are with his mother and Bryce said that he feels neglected by his own mother. Porter opens up the journal as he look through it.

Clay Jensen: She didn't really want to help him. I mean, not if she hired you.

Kevin Porter: Yeah. Well, thanks for that.

Clay Jensen: I mean...

Kevin Porter: Yeah, I know what you mean. But she did. And she wanted him to get better.

Clay Jensen: No, but...

Clay takes out the letter he found at Nora Walker's desk.

Clay Jensen: But she wrote this.

Hannah Baker: What's that?

Porter looks at the letter and recognizes it.

Clay Jensen: It's a letter from Mrs. Walker. I took it from her desk.

Hannah Baker: Are you nuts? She already suspects you of murder.

Clay Jensen: It explains how she hated her own son.

Hannah Baker: Wait, she wrote why she hated Bryce?

Kevin Porter: No, she didn't.

Clay Jensen: But... the letter is from her, about how much she hated him.

Hannah Baker: Can I read it?

Porter hands me the letter as I begin to read it.

Hannah Baker: "He was always a bad kid. Always tracking mud on the white carpets. Or having temper tantrums in the middle of our dinner parties. Or wetting the bed when we were on vacation in some 5-star hotel. Or throwing all his new toys in the garbage and telling the maid that he was running away. And now he's made a total mess of his life. His father doesn't want him. His classmates hate him. The rest of the world thinks he's a monster. But I'm his mother, so I'm supposed to put aside his terrible behavior and take him in even when no one else will. But the truth is, I've never loved him... because he's never been anything but a burden and an embarrassment, and my life would... would be better off without him in it." Jesus.

Kevin Porter: Nora Walker did not type that letter.

He tells us that the letter that Clay found was actually written by Bryce himself during a therapy exercise with Porter. The exercise was for Bryce to write what he believed his Mom felt about him. So it was Bryce's point of view of what he thinks his mother feels about him. Porter brought Mrs. Walker in to join Bryce for a session together and she read the letter in front of Bryce.

Clay Jensen: Aren't you violating, like, doctor-patient confidentiality?

Kevin Porter: Well, he's dead. And... I'm not a doctor. And you have his journal and the letter that he wrote. Anyway, she was saddened that he even thought about of her like that. It may have to do with the way she was raised by her father. They did had a breakthrough. We then talked about the girl he was seeing and he wanted it to work. I suggested that he shouldn't be dating or having sex of any kind because he's not ready. I wanted to get him in a program to help with his emotional issues, cognitive behavior therapy. I gave him some referrals and to the best of my knowledge, he never went.

Hannah Baker: Did he break up with her? The... girl.

Kevin Porter: I don't know. That was the last time I saw him.

Clay Jensen: So if you've got nothing to hide, how come you're helping the cops set me up?

Kevin Porter: I'm not, Clay. They wanted me to help them make their case. But I know you, and I believe that I know your heart. So, I called kids who I hoped would stand up for you, and they did.

Clay Jensen: And I'm just supposed to believe you? That you're trying to help?

Hannah Baker: He's telling the truth. I stood up for you.

Kevin Porter: That's up to you, Clay. Now, I know from experience that it's hard to trust anyone, but there are people that are on your side. Hannah is indeed on your side. And there's one other thing. When I spoke to Tyler today, there was something different about him since I saw him last year.

Oh, shit. I hope he doesn't know about Spring Fling as well.

Clay Jensen: Yeah. He's, uh...

Hannah Baker: He's been through a lot.

Kevin Porter: But have you seen any sudden change in behavior? Did you notice anything like that?

Clay Jensen: Sudden change?

Hannah Baker: I have, actually. He does seem different.

Kevin Porter: He's been through trauma. And I bet you money Montgomery de la Cruz has something to do with that. Just watch out for him, okay? Both of you.

Clay Jensen: We will. I promise.

Porter stands up and begins to walk away.

Hannah Baker: Mr. Porter!

I stand up as he stops and turns around.

Hannah Baker: You really did fucked up when I came to see you last year. But it was my fault. You were right, I didn't actually used that word because... I was scared.

Tears begin to fall down from my eyes.

Hannah Baker: Had I told you what Bryce did to me, maybe none of this and the trial never would've happened.

Kevin Porter: Hannah, don't blame yourself. It was mostly my fault. I should've taken the hint.

Hannah Baker: You did do the right thing, eventually. I wanted to thank you for testifying against the school for me. And I forgive you.

Mr. Porter begins to tear down. He really need me to forgive him.

Kevin Porter: Thank you for that, Hannah. I really appreciate that.

We smile at each other as Mr. Porter leaves Monet's. I sit back down with Clay.

Clay Jensen: Hey...

I look at Clay.

Bryce Walker: I'm proud of you.

But I saw Bryce instead. I closed my eyes and open them up and he was gone as I'm now looking at Clay.

Hannah Baker: Thanks, Helmet.

Clay Jensen: Porter is right.

Hannah Baker: About what?

Clay Jensen: Tyler. He has been acting different.

Hannah Baker: Whenever he crosses paths with Monty, he always freezes.

Clay Jensen: And when he needs to use the bathroom, he leaves the school to piss in the bushes.

Hannah Baker: He acted the same since last Spring. Clay, we need to talk to him. I'm afraid that Monty did do something to him which explains the bruises that he had.

Clay Jensen: You're right.

The both of us went back to Liberty where Tyler was developing pictures in the yearbook room. We went inside the dark room and found Tyler and asked him about his meeting with Porter.

Tyler Down: I just told them the truth. I mean, not the whole truth, but the truth. That... you're a good person.

Clay Jensen: Thanks, Tyler.

Tyler Down: Yeah

Hannah Baker: How about you? How are you doing? Everything okay?

Tyler Down: Pretty much, yeah. Why?

Clay Jensen: Look, I'm sorry that I haven't been around much lately.

Tyler Down: You've got some stuff going on, so...

Clay Jensen: Yeah. Yeah. Tyler... did Monty do something to you?

Tyler Down: (Stammering) What? What do you mean?

Clay Jensen: I think... you've been through something you haven't told anyone. Maybe last Spring?

Tyler Down: No. No. I mean, not... not really. Who have you been talking to?

Clay Jensen: Mr. Porter... noticed some things today. But we've noticed some things, too.

Hannah Baker: You don't want anyone to touch you.

Clay Jensen: You won't use the bathrooms.

Hannah Baker: You wanted to die.

Tyler takes a sharp intake of breath. Something's wrong.

Clay Jensen: Ty... Tyler, what is it?

Tyler Down: I... I can't. I can't.

Clay Jensen: Okay.

Hannah Baker: Okay, you don't have to.

Tyler Down: Okay.

Clay Jensen: But you can tell us. You know that, right? You know I care about you. Hannah cares about you. And at this point, you can tell us anything.

Tyler begins to sob & whimper. I think he's gonna tell us.

Tyler Down: I... (Breathing hard) I was... I... I was... I was in the bathroom... when I got back from my diversion program. Monty came in and he... He was mad about the field and he... he... smashed my head on the mirror and on the sink. And then, he and... Taylor and Kenneth... they held my head in the toilet. And... Monty... he got a mop, and he... (Stammering) He pulled my pants down, and he put it... in... (Voice Breaking) In me. And he... pushed it in my hole, and... and in and out, until I was... bleeding, and they... And they left me on the floor.

Oh, my god! I can't believe Monty did that to Tyler.

Hannah Baker: (Whispering) Oh, my god!

Clay Jensen: Oh, god!

Clay couldn't believe it, too. We are beyond shocked after what we just heard and we start to tear down as well.

Hannah Baker: Oh, Jesus. Tyler. Tyler, I am... We're so sorry that happened to you.

Clay Jensen: I feel like... I feel like I want to hug you right now.

Hannah Baker: Me, too. I feel like hugging you as well.

Clay Jensen: Would that be all right, if we hug you?

Tyler Down: Mm...hmn

Both me & Clay give Tyler a hug as Tyler aguishly cries on our shoulders.

Clay Jensen: It's all right, man. It's all right. It's ok.

I begin to cry for Tyler. I can't believe it. I should've known. Tyler got it worse than me & Jess. We never got our head smashed into a mirror and on a sink and got our head dunked on a toilet. I am sad for Tyler an angry at Monty. Fucking Monty! I hate him! A couples minutes later, Tyler stops crying and begins to calm down as Clay went to get Tyler a bottle of water. I manage to stop crying as well.

Clay Jensen: Here.

Tyler Down: Thank you.

Hannah Baker: Tyler, do you want to tell someone? An adult?

Tyler Down: I told Bryce.

Hannah Baker: You told who?

Clay Jensen: Bryce?

Tyler Down: Yeah, he... came to see me a couple weeks ago. He wanted to know what Monty did. I finally got up the guts to tell him. He was shocked. He was actually upset. And he asked if I wanted his help.

Clay Jensen: Bryce offer... offered to help?

Hannah Baker: The same Bryce who raped me & Jessica?

Tyler Down: He left me a voicemail just before he died.

Tyler takes out his cell phone and plays the voice message that Bryce left him.

Bryce Walker: Tyler. It's Bryce... Walker. Listen, that thing we talked about, I'm dealing with it. You're all good. Take care of yourself, man.

Holy shit. Bryce was helping Tyler?

Clay Jensen: Tyler, if he went to Monty about this... and threatened to turn him in... we have to tell somebody.

Tyler Down: No! No, please. Clay, I can't.

Clay Jensen: No. No, of course not.

Tyler Down: Okay.

Clay Jensen: You don't have to tell anyone until you're ready. But please... ask for help when you need it. Okay? Please?

Tyler Down: Okay.

After we were done talking, we left the yearbook room. We were shocked. We were horified.

Hannah Baker: Why would Bryce help Tyler?

Clay Jensen: If Bryce did confront Monty...

Hannah Baker: Monty would have the most to lose. But we can't tell anyone. It's not our story.

Clay Jensen: We can't even tell Jessica, she would understand.

Hannah Baker: I can't believe Monty would do that.

Clay Jensen: That message that Tyler got, it was from Homecoming night.

Clay begins to walk away.

Hannah Baker: Clay!

Bryce Walker: Wonder what he's up to.

Hannah Baker: Not now.

Clay could not let this go, he had to confront Monty just like he did with Bryce. Clay heads to the football field where the football team are currently having practice.

Clay Jensen: Hey! Monty!

Monty de la Cruz: Didn't they arrest you yet?

Clay Jensen: No, but I hope they'll be coming for you.

Monty de la Cruz: The fuck does that mean?

Clay Jensen: Where were you after Homecoming? Did Bryce talk to you after the game? Did something happen?

Monty de la Cruz: What are you talking about? I was with the boys all night. We got shit-faced at Charlie's. Cops already checked into it. I'm all good. You're the one who's in trouble.

Clay Jensen: But I didn't do anything, and I know you did.

Monty de la Cruz: Yeah? Well, what the fuck did I do?

Clay couldn't say what Monty did because he told Tyler he wouldn't, so Monty just scoffs at Clay.

Monty de la Cruz: If you're trying to clear your name, you need to look a little closer to home. You know Bryce and Justin went at it that night?

Clay Jensen: You don't know what you're talking about.

Monty de la Cruz: (Chuckling) You think you know him, but he's playing you, like he played Bryce. It's what he does. And he's going to play you right to jail.

Clay Jensen: You are so full of shit!

Monty de la Cruz: Your boy Justin, he shaves with electric, right?

Clay Jensen: I think so. Why?

Monty de la Cruz: Then why has he got a can of shaving cream in his bag? Ha! You should check that shit out. Who to trust? Who to believe?

Monty just walks away and head towards the locker room. Later that night, Dennis Vasquez comes to the Jensen's house to talk about what happened when the police came to Liberty with Kevin Porter.

Dennis Vasquez: Well, they pulled in Tyler, Hannah, Jessica... everyone.

Lainie Jensen: It's a dirty way to do it.

Clay Jensen: Mr. Porter said most of the people defended me. He said he was trying to get them to say good things about me the whole time. Who knows if it's true?

Justin Foley: Shit! It's true. He kept trying to get me to get angry at him, and then he smiled and nodded at me. I... couldn't figure out why, but that's why.

Dennis Vasquez: Look, they may have tried to defend you, Clay, but any statement they made about your history with Bryce can still be used against you. They're building a case against you and they're moving fast, so, we need to be talking next steps.

Clay Jensen: What does that mean?

Dennis Vasquez: Well, in the absence of another suspect, we need to focus on a strategy for your defense.

Matt Jensen: This is just to be prepared. That's all, Clay.

Clay Jensen: Montgomery de la Cruz. They need to be looking at Monty, he had something to do with it.

Dennis Vasquez: Why do you think so?

Clay Jensen: I can't... I can't say, but I know.

Matt Jensen: Why can't you say?

Lainie Jensen: Clay, if you know something, anything about anyone who might be implicated in this, now is the time.

Clay Jensen: Someone did this. It wasn't me.

Dennis Vasquez: Then who?

Clay didn't answer. He can't tell them about Tyler. Clay goes to the outhouse as he sits on his bed. He couldn't stop thinking about what Monty said to him about Justin. He couldn't stop thinking about it, so he decided to dig around Justin's gym bag and found the shaving cream Monty mention before. Why would Justin have a can of shaving if he shave with a electric razor? Clay tries to get some cream out but nothing is coming out so he shakes it but hears something. He opens the can and finds drugs hidden inside the can. Clay is disappointed to learn that Justin has been lying to him for months and shocked that the drugs are in Bryce's name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98 1 14
It all leads to this. 2 Years have past since Hannah Baker's death. Almost a year since the murder of Bryce Walker and the attack on Liberty High by...
170K 2.8K 39
'People don't want to know the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.' || Book 1 in the Bailey Matthews Series || || 13 Reasons Why...
2.9K 39 18
Montgomery de la Cruz x fem/reader Hannah Baker x sister reader Zack Dempsey x reader thirteen reasons why characters aren't mine except for y/n. t...
11.4K 73 12
It's all fun and games until someone dies. The deepest and darkest secrets get revealed, lives get ruined, relationships fade. ...