13 Reasons Why Hannah Baker L...

By espinosa1989

What if Hannah Baker survived her attempt? What would that world look like? In this world, she survives her a... More

Chapter 1: October 9th, 2017
Chapter 2: The Tapes
Chapter 3: Paying The Price
Chapter 4: Sooner Or Later, The Truth Will Come Out!
Chapter 5: Free Solo
Chapter 6: Tape 9
Chapter 7: The Stop Sign
Chapter 8: Clay's Tape
Chapter 9: The Confrontation
Chapter 10: It Has To Get Better
Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid
Chapter 12: The Hallucination
Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony
Chapter 14: The 2nd Polaroid
Chapter 15: Hannah's Poems
Chapter 16: The Secret Relationship
Chapter 17: Clay Testifies
Chapter 18: The Tapes Are Out
Chapter 19: Porter's Testimony
Chapter 20: The Clubhouse
Chapter 21: Bryce & ChlΓΆe
Chapter 22: Awakening
Chapter 23: Confronting Monty
Chapter 24: The Verdict
Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial
Chapter 27: Spring Fling
Chapter 28: The New Girl
Chapter 29: The Disappearance of Bryce Walker
Chapter 30: Jessica's Speech
Chapter 31: The Truth About ChlΓΆe
Chapter 32: Student Body President Jessica Davis
Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead
Chapter 34: Tyler
Chapter 35: Tyler's Gun
Chapter 36: The Problem With Alex Standall
Chapter 37: The Funeral
Chapter 38: There Are A Number Of Problems With Clay Jensen
Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor
Chapter 40: The Problem With Justin
Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1
Chapter 42: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.2
Chapter 43: What Does Charlie Know?
Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor
Chapter 45: Homecoming
Chapter 46: Let The Dead Bury The Dead
Chapter 47: It's Not Supposed To Be Easy For People Like Us
Chapter 48: SRO
Chapter 49: Sanderson University
Chapter 50: The Mysterious Caller
Chapter 51: Love Is Love
Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods
Chapter 53: Find Your Drink
Chapter 54: Is It A Drill? Part 1
Chapter 55: Is It A Drill? Part 2
Chapter 56: The Session
Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal
Chapter 58: Gordon Lightfoot
Chapter 59: The Walkout & The Riot
Chapter 60: Prom Part 1
Chapter 61: Prom Part 2
Chapter 62: The Finals Days Of Justin Foley
Chapter 63: Justin's Funeral
Chapter 64: The Return Of The Tapes
Chapter 65: Graduation
Chapter 66: Goodbye
Chapter 67: 20 Years Later
Chapter 68: The Reason Why I'm Still Going

Chapter 25: The Sentencing

71 2 0
By espinosa1989

1 Month Later

Thurday April 18, 2018

A month has past since we've lost the trial. Bryce & Justin were both arrested, but they didn't arrest me. Thank you, Dennis. But Bryce made bail of course. While another trial was getting set up, I focused on my physical therapy. I can almost move my legs. I'll be on crutches until my legs are fully healed. A week after the trial, I was discharged from the hospital. I moved in with my mom at her small house. They threw me a welcome home party. It was nice of them. Clay & I got more closer to each other. Clay told me that while I was in a coma, he was in a relationship with Skye Miller. It didn't end so well for them, mostly because Clay was not over me. We decided to give each other a chance. That's right, Hannah Baker & Clay Jensen are together. Wow, that sounds about right. He's been helping me out with physical therapy. So have Alex & Zach. Zach calls it P.T. and I like calling it that, much easier. I kinda like Alex helping me out because I get to help him out as well. Both me & Alex talked about our attempts. Speaking of, I'm gonna have to go see a shrink and talk about it and everything that's happened to me. Clay recommended a Dr. Ellman. He was Clay's therapist and now he's Alex's. I didn't know Clay used to see a shrink. Tony introduced me to his boyfriend, Caleb. He's a great guy. He owns a gym in town and he teaches a self defense class. Caleb offered me a spot for his class once my legs are 100%. I accepted his offer. Since me, Jessica, & Alex are friends again, we started going to Monet's together again. Clay's mom has been trying everything to help out Justin who's still in juvie. Me & Jessica have testified against Bryce. They made Monty testify but he denied that he ever saw Bryce raping me. Alex told me about it. He didn't know it was me, but I forgave him. Monty, not so much. It was time for Bryce to face the music. He & Justin were found guilty and now it was time for Bryce's sentencing. The courtroom was empty. It was just me, Jessica, our parents, Mrs. Jensen who was there for Justin, & the Walkers. This was done behind closed door.

Bryce Walker: It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain that I may have caused, I-I just... Well, I feel awful. Every day, I wish that I could go back in time. I was used to a certain culture of partying and hookups, and many of us never questioned it, but it is time to question it. And I know that I need to be the one to set an example. I'm... I'm trying every day to be a better man, to be the man that my parents raised me to be. And to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincerest hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir.

I don't believe a god damn word he just said. And those glasses aren't fooling anyone.

Judge: Does the county accept the allocution?

District Attorney: We do, Your Honor. Prior to sentencing, the victims would like to exercise their right to make their own statements.

Judge: Proceed.

Jessica was first to go. We squeeze each other's hand and nod to each other. You can do this, Jess.

Jessica Davis: Your Honor, thank you for this opportunity to address the court. If it's all right, for the first part of my statement, I'd like to address the defendant directly.

Judge: Go right ahead.

Jessica Davis: The first weekend in September, my parents were out of town and my little brothers were at their grandparents'. I wanted to host a party like I thought a popular cheerleader should. My boyfriend was there. Your friend Justin. We had been drinking. We decided to go up to my room. I remember making out with him. And then I... (Inhales) And then I started to fall asleep or... or pass out. I just... I remember thinking that I just needed to close my eyes for a few minutes. Then he... Then he walked out of the room. And then I remember waking up to you pulling off my underwear. I remember feeling you push yourself inside of me. (Sniffles) I may not remember all of the details, but I will never forget the sheer terror of feeling your weight on top of me, of not being able to breathe. Your Honor, when we leave this courtroom, Bryce Walker gets to leave convinced that he chose the wrong girl to have sex with. I get to leave constantly looking over my shoulder for monsters dressed up as the popular kid, constantly on edge and assuming the worst in every boy. The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker what he did was wrong. It can say that to every boy, every man who behaves like he does. And it can say to victims like me that our story matters. Thank you.

Jessica was very strong. It brought tears to my eyes. After Jessica was done, it was my turn. My parents help me up as I crutch my way to the podium. I can move my legs almost perfectly. I think I need another week before I can walk on my own.

Hannah Baker: Thank you for letting me speak, your honor.

The judge nods at me. I take out the piece of paper where I wrote down what I'm gonna say.

Hannah Baker: (Inhales) When I first meet you, it was at a party at my house. You seem like a nice guy. But my friend, Kat warned me about you with Clay Jensen backing her up. I didn't listened. You did seem like a great guy. I did enjoyed hanging out with you. But then you sent out that picture of me from Justin's phone. I was labeled a slut at school because of you. I hated you for that. When the Hot or Not List came out, you wanted to know if the list got it right. I ran into you at the Blue Spot liquor store and you paid for the candy I was buying. That's when you groped my butt. You told me that the list got it right. Then one night, I went for a walk. I found myself at your house where you were having a party. Jessica was there. A week after you raped her. She didn't know at the time. She convinced me to get in the hot tub. I took my clothes off and got into the hot tub in my underwear. I was in the hot tub, sitting there under the stars, I closed my eyes and I felt at peace for the first time in days. When I opened my eyes, I was alone in the hot tub with him, and there was... The way he looked at me, there was something in his eyes.

I turn to look at Bryce.

Hannah Baker: And I was afraid. When I tried to climb out of the hot tub, you pulled me back in. You told me we were "just having fun." But we weren't. I struggled, but you were too strong for me. You broke me. You drove me to do this...

I lifted up my sleeves and show him my scars.

Hannah Baker: Take a good look at it, Bryce! You made me do this.

I pull my sleeves down and face the judge.

Hannah Baker: Your Honor, like Jessica Davis said when she was up here "The sentence you decide today can tell Bryce Walker what he did was wrong." Not just to me, not just to Jessica, but also to Chlöe Rice and the rest of the girls who went to The Clubhouse. You'll be sending a message to every young men in the world. Thank you.

I felt relieved. And I felt strong. I go back to my seat as I sit with my parents.

Judge: Prosecution has put forth a sentencing recommendation. Does the defense have anything to contribute?

Warren: Your Honor, this is a terribly unfortunate event. And 3 young lives have been changed forever. Bryce has lost all his scholarship offers. The school district has cancelled what might well have been a championship season.

Oh, cry me a river. But yeah it's true. Because of Chlöe Rice's testimony about The Clubhouse and the fact that it existed on school campus, the district canceled the baseball season for Liberty. Coach Rick was fired. And it's all thanks to Clay, Zach, & Justin who brought them down. They told the school about The Clubhouse. Zach deserves most of the credit because he was a part of it, but he never hurt any of those girls.

Warren: There is regret on all sides. We urge the court to let these 3 young people start rebuilding and return to their lives.

Return to our lives? Our lives are ruined no thanks to Bryce.

Judge: This is a tragedy all around. As a judge, it's my role to look at both sides. And California law requires every judge to consider rehabilitation and probation for first-time offenders. I'd like to see these 2 young people look hard at their lives and their choices. But I don't want to do any further damage. Mr. Walker...

Bryce stands up.

Judge: I expect you to walk the straight and narrow. I'm sentencing you to 3 months probation. So ordered.

Laine Jensen: Your Honor, 3 months probation?

Judge: Order! That is all.

Why am I not surprised. Of course he gets off easy. 3 Months probation?

The Bakers & Davis' were shocked and angry at the verdict. As for Montgomery de la Cruz, the police brought him in for questioning for his actions on the people who've testified at Hannah's trial. Bryce lent him his lawyer.

Bill Standall: Talk to me about the sex doll that was found at Ms. Davis' home. Or the dead rat that was inside Mr. Dempsey's locker. The vandalism to Mr. Padilla's car. Taking a picture of a comatose Hannah Baker and threating her.

Monty de la Cruz: This is bullshit.

Bill Standall: What about the shooting target you sent my son?

Monty de la Cruz: I didn't do any of that.

Police Officer: We have several kids who say he intimidated witnesses, engaged in felony vandalism.

Monty de la Cruz: Everyone's saying all kinds of shit, but it's not true.

Bill Standall: Where's the gun?

Monty de la Cruz: I never touched a gun in my life.

After Bryce's sentencing was over, it was Justin's turn with a different Judge. Laine is representing Justin as Dennis in attendance in the empty courtroom.

Laine Jensen: Your Honor, Bryce Walker was released on bail within hours of his arrest, and Justin has been stranded in juvenile detention for almost a month.

Judge: I'm aware of the timeline.

Laine Jensen: The related case is complete as of today. Justin's plea is in, the paperwork is done.

Judge: Understood, Counselor, but as a minor, he has to be released into custody.

Laine Jensen: We have been searching for Amber Foley for weeks, Your Honor. She's nowhere to be found.

Justin's mother skipped town after Justin left with Seth's money. Just like Justin suggested to her.

Judge: Keep looking. Until then, he's remanded. Bailiff?

The bailiff begins to take Justin away.

Laine Jensen: Hang on, Justin. We're working on it.

Justin Foley: I know. Thank you.

I decided to stay at the courthouse with Clay & Jessica. Both my parents and Jessica's parents left. We both stayed for Justin. Me, Clay, & Jessica are sitting down on a bench as we're still soaking in on Bryce's sentence.

Hannah Baker: 3 Fucking months of probation.

Clay Jensen: I'm so fucking sorry.

Jessica Davis: It's insane. But somehow I still feel stronger.

Hannah Baker: Me too.

We all look at each other and smile.

Hannah Baker: I've made a decision.

Jessica Davis: Well?

Clay Jensen: What's it going be?

I should explain. After I got out of the hospital, my parents talked to me about going to another school. The only other schools in the area are East County & Sacred Heart, which is a all girls prep school. That's not all. When I was checked out from the hospital, someone had paid for all my hospital bills. I was shocked when I found out who paid for my hospital bills. It was Nora Walker, Bryce's mother. I can't imagine what's going through her mind finding out that her son is a rapist. I think that's why she paid for my hospital bills, she felt guilty for Bryce's actions. Liberty still offered my parents a settlement. $200,000 Dollars, which was their original offer. My parents took it. My dad didn't want any of their money, but my mom on the other hand had plans. She wants to move away from Evergreen County. She's moving to New York. New York, that's my dream. She wants me to go with her. But I wasn't sure. I would be leaving my friends who've I just got back and I would be leaving my boyfriend. Still getting used to calling Clay that. If I would stay in Evergreen, I would have to move in with my dad & Valerie who've I finally met when we all had dinner 3 days ago at their home. Valerie has a daughter, a little girl. She's really a nice cute girl and she seems to like me. Her name is Bridgette. So the choice I had is stay here and move in with my dad & Valerie, or go with my mom and move to New York and leave everyone behind.

Hannah Baker: I'm staying. You all just got me back. And I got you all back. There's no way I'm gonna throw that all away.

Jessica Davis: So you're giving up your dream of living in New York for us?

Hannah Baker: Not exactly. My mom is cool with me staying. She's gonna set up a room for me. Once we've graduated, I'm moving to New York to live with her.

Clay Jensen: That's great.

Jessica Davis: You're just relived that your girlfriend is not moving away. Gosh, it's weird calling Clay that. Clay Jensen is Hannah Baker's boyfriend.

Hannah Baker: Still getting used to saying it myself.

We all have a good laugh.

Jessica Davis: Have you decided which school you're going?

Hannah Baker: Yeah, I did. I thought real hard about it. I'm coming back to Liberty.

Jessica was surprised by my decision. Clay however... well, it was his idea. I talked with him about which school I would go to if I were to stay in Evergreen.

Hannah Baker: Clay suggested returning.

Jessica Davis: Why?

Clay Jensen: Well... if she were to go to East County or Sacre Heart, she would be all alone. Everyone will know who she is. But if she were to come back to Liberty... yeah, everyone already knows her. They were the ones who drove her to suicide. But it's going to be different.

Jessica Davis: How?

Hannah Baker: I won't be alone this time. I'll have you guys by my side. Everyone knows about The Clubhouse. They have no reason to judge me. My parents aren't thrilled that I want to go back. We're going to meet with Bolan tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have me back. Only problem...

Clay Jensen: Bryce.

We hear doors closing as we see Mrs. Jensen & Dennis coming out, but Justin is not with them.

Clay Jensen: Wait, where's Justin?

Laine Jensen: They'll only release him to a guardian, and the judge won't move on it. We've filed emergency papers, but it's a 24-hour minimum.

Dennis Vasquez: I'll take the petition to Purdy. He owes us. Do you wanna start on the order for the school?

Laine Jensen: Yeah. We're asking for a court order to force the school to protect the both of you. To keep him away from you.

Jessica Davis: Thank you.

Hannah Baker: Thank you, Mrs. Jensen.

Laine Jensen: Please, call me Laine.

I had the pleasure of meeting Clay's parents last week when they invited us for dinner. Laine apologized for being part of Liberty's defense team, we forgave her. She's really a lovely person. Clay's dad on the other hand, he sure love to embarrass Clay.

Clay Jensen: Mom, is your firm... I mean, are they cool with this?

Laine Jensen: I've left the firm... to work with Dennis on cases like this.

Clay Jensen: Oh, that's... That's cool.

Wow, Laine really quit her firm to work with Dennis. My trial really opened her eyes.

After leaving the courthouse, Bryce returned to Liberty who's still a student even after being convicted. He & Zach are in the locker room cleaning out their lockers.

Zach Dempsey: Coach said we could leave our lockers till the end of the year.

Bryce Walker: I'm transferring. To Hillcrest.

Zach Dempsey: Hillcrest? You got the grades for that?

Bryce Walker: Not exactly.

Zach Dempsey: Well, private schools need fields, too, I guess.

Bryce Walker: Yeah. And uniforms and all that shit. Speaking of which... not all of my credits transferred, so I'll be going in as a junior. Which means I'll see you on the field this fall.

Zach Dempsey: They're letting you play football?

Bryce Walker: That's right. See you at the dance.

Zach Dempsey: Wait. So, you and Chlöe?

Bryce Walker: Yeah. Loyalty. It's a thing, huh? Take care of yourself, Zachy.

Bryce leaves as Zach can't believe that he & Chlöe are still together. Hannah is not the only one returning to Liberty. Tyler Down is back from his diversion program with a new haircut. He's meeting with Dr. Priya Singh, the school's ne counselor who replaced Kevin Porter.

Priya Singh: Your meeting with the district psychologist went well and the reports from your diversion program are excellent.

Tyler Down: It was a good program.

Priya Singh: Tell me why.

Tyler Down: Um, well, at first, it was very difficult. You know, the long hikes and the camping. But after a few days, with everything else stripped away, you're just left to your thoughts and... you learn things.

Priya Singh: And what did you learn?

Tyler Down: That I can choose how I respond to things. That even if I am feeling angry, or lonely, or whatever, that I'm in control of my own actions. I can't control what other people do, but I can control my response.

Priya Singh: Do you think you're ready to come back? Do you think things will be different?

Tyler Down: Yeah, I think so. I'm ready.

Priya Singh: Principal Bolan is concerned that we keep a very close eye on you.

Tyler Down: I understand.

Priya Singh: And your return won't be easy.

Tyler Down: No, I know.

Dr. Singh is referring to the fact that the jocks are blaming Tyler for the cancelation of the baseball season. Tyler runs into Mackenzie in the hallways and asks her to Spring Fling. But he was too late. Mackenzie reveals to Tyler that she's dating Eric. Tyler was cool with it. Clay & Hannah decide to spend the rest of the day together. They walk by The Crestmont were they used to work and think back to the moment when they first met.

Hannah Baker: I was right. You're the most courageous nerd I ever knew.

Clay Jensen: I really am, aren't I.

They continue their walk across town.

Hannah Baker: Do you remember when I made you wear that piece of paper that said "Trainee"?

Clay Jensen: You mean the one that I really didn't have to wear it because you couldn't resist?

They laugh as they think back to that moment.

Hannah Baker: By the way, why do you have a tatoo of a comma?

Clay Jensen: You've noticed. It was supposed to be a semicolon.

Hannah Baker: A semicolon?

Clay Jensen: It's a message of affirmation and solidarity against suicide.

Hannah Baker: Oh. But why is it a comma?

Clay Jensen: Skye got me a fake i.d. so I can get a tattoo. Right before the guy can finish, I passed out.

Hannah Baker: Oh, my god. I would've loved to have seen that.

Clay Jensen: I bet you would.

They stop as they stood in front of what used to be the Baker's store as the building is up for lease.

Clay Jensen: I'm sorry about your parents' store.

Hannah Baker: Maybe it's for the best. It was one of the reasons why they separated. Have you thought about completing the tattoo?

After thinking about it, Clay decided to return to the tattoo shop with Hannah to complete his semi-colon tattoo. Hannah liked it a lot. After leaving the tattoo shop, they headed towards a hill where they sat on a bench with a view of the town.

Clay Jensen: The thing I was most afraid of had you not survived... is forgetting you.

Hannah Baker: Then don't.

Clay Jensen: The thing I'm second most afraid of was never being able to let you go.

Hannah Baker: Do you remember the winter dance? Not the slow dance, but... that song where we jumped around like idiots and looked like fools. Like absolute dorks.

Clay Jensen: Yeah. (Chuckles) Why?

Hannah Baker: No reason. I just wanted you to think of that right now.

Clay & Hanna hold onto each other's hands and they sit and watch the sun set on Evergreen County.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 1.1K 38
- What if 𝙉atalia can't except getting things thrown at her anymore? αΆœΛ‘α΅ƒΚΈ ʲᡉⁿ˒ᡉⁿ 𝙉atalia 𝘽exley was an or...
227K 3.5K 14
Cassidy (Cassie) Rose is known throughout the school as Hannah Baker's sidekick but what happens after Hannah decides to kill herself? What impact w...
3K 39 18
Montgomery de la Cruz x fem/reader Hannah Baker x sister reader Zack Dempsey x reader thirteen reasons why characters aren't mine except for y/n. t...
51.5K 854 22
Emmalee Andrews was Hannah Baker's best friend. They went through just about everything together, until the night of Jessica Davis's party. When Emma...