Just Because You Are

By kimxiangel

Is it possible for a sulky, self-absorbed man and a good-humored, bubbly lady to make beautiful music togethe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - For Your Sake
Chapter 2 - The Detour
Chapter 3 - First Impressions
Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Dreaming of You
Chapter 4 (Part 2) - Dream On
Chapter 5 - Amazed
Chapter 6 (Part 1) - The Ballet Shoes
Chapter 7 - Music to His Ears
Chapter 8 - When You Change Your Tune
Chapter 9 - Hit the Right Note
Chapter 10 - Play it By Ear
Chapter 11 - Fine Tuning
Chapter 12 - Whistling in the Dark
Chapter 13 (Part 1) - With Bells On!
Chapter 13 (Part 2) - Break a Leg!
Chapter 13 (Part 3) - Playing Second Fiddle?
Chapter 14 - Reaching Out
Chapter 15 (Part 1) - It All Started with Music
Chapter 15 (Part 2) - While the Music Lasts
Chapter 16 - LSS
Chapter 17 (Part 1) - Call the Tune
Chapter 17 (Part 2) - Clear as a Bell
Chapter 17 (Part 3) - Face the Music
Chapter 18 - It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter 19 (Part 1) - #ThrowbackThursday
Chapter 19 (Part 2) - #Unselfie
Chapter 20 - The Music Box
Chapter 21 - Invitations
Chapter 22 (Part 1) - Euphonic
Chapter 22 (Part 2) - In Sync!
Chapter 23 - Mr. Right's Wǒ de ài
Chapter 24 - How Would You Feel?
Chapter 25 - More than Words
Chapter 26 - ...And All That Jazz
Chapter 27 - Singing a Different Tune

Chapter 6 (Part 2) - The Piano Recital

1.9K 29 7
By kimxiangel

If we would see the color of our future, we must look for it in our present; if we would gaze on the star of our destiny, we must look for it in our hearts.

- Canon Farrar

"Every time I drop by your office you always have that dismal expression."

Quino's eyes were glued on his laptop as Reese Wong entered his office. She was holding a mug of Cappuccino on one hand and a folder on the other one. "Ah, Miss Wong, have a seat...Lani's supposed to bring me that coffee...where is she?" he asked, looking puzzled.

Reese placed the mug on a side table and settled on the cantilever guest chair in front Quino. "Well, I requested her to get me Cappuccino, too, so I could join you here for your coffee break...I'm sure you wouldn't mind," she said with a self-assured smile. "Besides, I want to show you the latest profit and loss statement as well as the financial forecast aligned to the plans we have discussed last night..pinagpuyatan namin yan ng staff ko just as Sir Raymund ordered para lang ma-finalize. He had already checked it, and this is your copy."

She handed him the folder and then rested her back on the chair, looking quite composed.

Raymund, Quino's older brother, is the Chief Financial Officer of the company who's directly handling Reese and her staff.

"Okay, titingnan ko 'to mamaya. I'm still reviewing proposals from the product development and marketing departments," he said in a very businesslike tone.

"You're obviously as busy as a bee...as always," Reese said. "...but hey, you've got to learn how to loosen up!"

Quino shook his head and leaned forward on his table. "Look, Miss Wong, bumaba yung sales natin sa Mindanao for three consecutive weeks and that news immediately reached the President. How can I relax? I really don't know what those people from the marketing department are doing! Siguro nga dahil nag-rerelax sila!" he pointed out, frowning. "I can't afford to relax and just watch our sales decline just because some people in this company aren't efficiently doing their job. For all I know that's the main reason why they can't optimize the marketability of our products and now the company's new competitor is up on the forefront!"

Raising her brows, Reese said, "My goodness, Mr.Chua, araw-araw may panibagong business na tinatayo sa iba't-ibang lugar kaya hindi natin maiiwasang magkaroon ng competitor! Two months ago lang nga di ba yung fashion accessories natin bumaba yung sales, but now it's picking up again. Ngayon yung cosmetics line naman natin ang naaapektuhan dahil nga dyan sa bagong labas ng kabilang kumpanya...pero pasasaan ba't tataas ulit yung sales natin? Established na ang brand ng product lines natin, there's nothing to worry about."

"Reese...uh...Miss Wong, that's easy for you to say since you aren't the one who's directly accountable to the President," Quino asserted with exasperation, almost forgetting to address his business colleague professionally.

Although their meeting ended early last night, he merely slept for a couple of hours because he still stayed late in his office trying to analyze some of the proposals presented by the different departments.

It was quite easy for him to lose patience right away whenever he wasn't able to get enough sleep.

He took a deep breath and tried to control his annoyance. "Next month na yung year-end meeting with the board, and after that we'll meet with the shareholders. We need to be sure the sales quota will be met so that the overall reports will be positive."

"I haven't seen you as pressured as this, Mr. Chua," Reese said, unmoved by Quino's obvious hotheadeadness. She knew him too well to be affected by his typical bossy and 'suplado' statements.

"It's difficult to be lax, especially in business, and you know that full well," he simply said, reaching for his Cappucinno. Just then, Lani knocked and entered his office. She immediately gave a mug of coffee to Reese.

"Sir, si Mr. Pascual po tumawag, nag-remind lang po tungkol dun sa lunch nyo sa Cyma. Di nyo raw po kase sinasagot yung tawag nya," Lani said.

Quino immediately realized that he left his phones inside his car.

"Ah, okay, Lani," he said, checking his watch. Ten o'clock in the morning. He still had an hour and a half to read through the documents in front him. He fished his keys from his pocket and gave them to Lani. "By the way, kindly get my phones inside my car. Thanks."

"Cyma with Robert...a reunion, huh?" Reese asked, smiling. The three of them were in the same class when they were still in highschool.

"Yeah, business meeting, actually," Quino declared.

"Oh? Kelan pa naging business-minded si Robert?" Reese inquired. "Di ba he's in the academe?"

Quino looked at Reese, trying very hard to control his annoyance. 'Why do you have to be too nosy?' he thought, managing to flash a lopsided grin.

Instead of answering her, he shook his head and returned his attention to the proposals he was reading. He was thankful when Reese finally stood up.

"Balik muna ako sa office ko," Reese said. She was already at the door when she turned towards Quino's direction. "Quino?...I thought we could have lunch together...but anyway...maybe next time?"

Looking up at Reese, Quino nodded a little hesitantly. "Ah...yes, next time, Reese."

As soon as Reese closed the door behind her, Quino shook his head again. He just couldn't figure out why she was still patiently making some initiatives for them to go out together when in fact ever since they were teenagers he was already making it obvious that he had no plans of dating her.

"Sir, eto na po yung phones nyo."

Quino immediately checked his phones. "Thank you talaga, Lani, ha? Sa sobrang busy ko kung anu-ano na ang mga nakakalimutan ko."

Lani smiled sheepishly. "Alam nyo po, Sir, sa tingin ko hindi lang secretary kailangan nyo," she began, "...baka po kailangan nyo na po ng...alam nyo na...special someone...para po kahit busy kayo sa work may umaasikaso po sa inyo."

Even if she had been Quino's secretary for already five years she would still tend to get a little hesitant in talking to him about his personal life.

Quino's face brightened all of a sudden. "I guess you are talking from experience, Lani."

"Naku, oo naman po. Maalaga po kasi si Sonny kaya kahit sobrang busy kami sa mga trabaho namin inspired kami pareho," Lani, who had been married recently, said with a proud smile. "Kasi naman po Sir, masarap po talagang maging in-love."

Smile is said to be contagious, and since Lani was beaming and exuding with love, Quino could not help but smile with her. But he merely cringed at the idea that it feels good to be in-love.

Masarap maging in-love....

He really didn't know if it's true.

He used to be in-love. But it turned out to be a disappointment.

Just a big frustration.

It cost his mother's life.

And he really didn't know if he will ever feel what Lani describes as 'masarap maging in-love.'

**************

"Ano? Liligawan nilang dalawa si Chummy?" Louie asked, raising her left eyebrow.

Harvey nodded. "Exactly. Determinado si Kuya Rob na gawin ang lahat para pumayag lang si Raffie na maging trainer sa music school na tinatayo nila. I actually suggested the idea to him when he shared to me that they will be hiring instructors and staff," he explained.

"Ah...akala ko naman kung anong ligaw yang sinasabi mo," Louie said, opening the box of chocolate which Harvey brought for her.
"Medyo nag-aalala lang ako sa BFF ko kase hanggang ngayon di pa rin kumo-contact si Vince sa kanya. Ayun, malungkot sya pero bilib din ako sa kanya kase carry nya pa rin maging positive at hopeful."

"Sinubukan na ba nyang i-contact? Baka lang sobrang busy, you know."

"She already did, pero di naman sumasagot yung si Vince. Eh si Raffie hindi yun yung tipong makulet, no," Louie stated. "Pero sobrang nakaka-disappoint lang kase nga anniversary nila tapos ni-hi-ni-ho wala? Buti na lang talaga mapasensya yung friend ko...o, tikman mo 'tong dala mo."

She handed Harvey a couple of dark mint-flavored chocolates.

Harvey immediately gobbled up the two chocolates together. If there's one thing he and Louie agree about most of the time it's their love for bitter & minty chocolates. "Gaano ba kagwapo yang boyfriend na yan ni Raffie, ha, BBF?" Harvey asked.

"Mala-Grant Gustin lang naman kaya superhero ang peg, BBF," Louie said. "Blue eyes po sya."

"Hmmm, so The Flash pala, ha? Ibig sabihin mas gwapo pa pala ako dun," Harvey said jestingly.

Louie rolled her eyes. "Alam mo, wala nang mas ha-humble pa sa'yo. Haaay....nakakabilib ka!" she exclaimed with a giggle.

Then she opened the dvd case and took out the disc from it. "O nga pala, thank you dito sa arrangement mo, ha...tamang-tama kase magre-rehearse kame mamaya nung sequences ng scenes. Hey, don't forget to attend the practice this Saturday, ha, tandaan mo importante role mo."

Aside from arranging the sequences of the songs that will be used for their musical presentation, Louie also assigned Harvey to do the voice-over narration.

"Louie naman, since I started to join the presentations palagi na lang ako sa voice over," Harvey complained. "Di mo ba ako pwedeng i-promote sa ibang role? May stage presence at star appeal din naman ako, ah!"

"Aba, reklamo talaga? Anong role ba gusto mo?"

"Baka naman...pwedeng leading man mo," Harvey said with a mischievous smile. He sat down on the nearest chair with a smug facial expression.

"Ano ka, sine-swerte?" Louie exclaimed. "Ah...kaya mo pala ako dinalhan nitong chocolates dahil gusto mo ako i-bribe para sa role na yun, 'no?"

Harvey's eyes grew big. "Uy, sobra ka naman!" he exclaimed back. "Bakit, first time ko bang ginawa yang pagbibigay sa'yo ng chocolates? Bribery agad, di ba pwedeng act of thoughtfulness lang?" Harvey sighed.

"Nagtatampo agad ang BBF ko...joke lang kaya yun," Louie said immediately, standing up from her chair and then leaning towards Harvey while squeezing his cheeks.

"Aray!" Harvey cried out, pretending to be hurt by Louie's pinch. "Halika nga dito at nang makabawi ako!"

As he drew Louie close to him she lost her balance that she accidentally sat on Harvey's lap.

They just stared at each other for what seemed like ages. He was holding her hand to support her...and then suddenly he squeezed her hands and muttered under his breath, "Louie, if I can't be your leading man for the presentation, maybe I can be your-..."

Just then, Louie cleared her throat, drew back and began to stand up. "Uhm, BBF...sorry ha, joke lang talaga yung kanina," she cut in.

Harvey stood up, too, somehow disappointed with Louie's interruption and sudden avoidance. "Ok lang...Para namang di mo ako kilala," he said. "Di naman ako pikon, ah...sige, mauna na ako. Magkita na lang tayo sa Saturday."

He turned towards the door to leave Louie's small office. 'I know you know what I was supposed to say, Louie...but why do you keep on avoiding the topic?' he thought, shaking his head.

**************

"Hindi ba nya alam na sobrang importante sa akin ang bawat minuto?" Quino asked Robert a little impatiently.

He had arrived the restaurant at 11:40 in the morning and he expected Raffie to be there already.

But it was already 12 noon and she still hadn't arrived. "Marami pa akong trabaho after lunch, and this is eating up the time that I should be spending at the office!"

"Relax, man!" Robert said.

"Yesterday daw kasi sana yung meeting sa department nya kaso ni-reschedule ngayon tapos medyo natagalan pa. Supposedly kaninang 11 pa yun matatapos...but she's on her way now. Bro, I can see you're quite busy pero sino bang hindi? Kulang ka nanaman sa tulog kaya ang daling uminit ng ulo mo."

Quino merely creased his forehead at Robert.

Just then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Raffie enter the restaurant. As soon as he saw her rushing towards him and Robert with a kind of worried and shy expression, the feeling of annoyance and impatience suddenly left him. However, he still acted as if he was rather irritated that she wasn't able to arrive on time.

"Hi...sorry I'm late," Raffie said apologetically.

Robert immediately stood and drew the chair beside him to let Raffie take her seat. "Oh, don't worry, we perfectly understand, Miss Raffie," he said in his usual cool manner. "Actually I was supposed to wait for you at the campus so we could drive here together but then something came up and I had to leave the university a little earlier."

"Oh, I see," Raffie said with a slight nod. "Mabuti na nga lang at di gaano traffic papunta dito sa Eastwood...pasensya na po talaga...uh...Sir Quino."

Quino looked at her with an air of dominance, and then gave out a slightly crooked smile. "Well, just as Rob has said, we understand you, Miss Raffie," he managed to say somewhat wryly. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Robert staring at him reprimandingly. He cleared his throat and continued,"...so let's cut to the chase. I'm not sure if you were already informed about our proposal for you, Miss Raffie."

"Oh, Prof just mentioned it's about the music school you will be opening on January," Raffie replied casually, trying to ignore the bossy manners of Quino. "So how can I help you?" This time, she equally sounded authoritative and businesslike.

Robert gave Raffie a sample of their school catalogue. "Miss Raffie, since we will be offering musical theater classes for children and teens, we thought your skills and experiences would be such a great help to prospective enrollees in the music school," Robert stated. "So we would like to offer you to be a part of our team of instructors. Actually, we do not just plan to invite you as a trainer, but we will be delighted if you could be the school's head instructor."

Raffie smiled at Robert. The offer was quite interesting. Teaching kids and teens about music and theater performance isn't new to her since that was her first job experience in London.

Also, the idea of working with the good-natured Professor Robert seemed to be a nice opportunity since they seem to get along well with each other quite smoothly.

But as she glanced at Quino and felt the imposing air surrounding him, she felt rather hesitant. 'If I accept the offer magiging boss ko sya...' she thought, not really liking the idea.

"We also plan to offer some basic ballet lessons during summer and you might be interested to handle that as well," Quino suddenly interjected, noticing Raffie's silence.

She seemed to be thinking deeply, but when he spoke she turned to him at once. Their eyes locked at that instant.

He immediately felt magnetized by her intent look. 'Goodness! Ano bang nasa mga mata mo, Miss Raffie...bakit ganyan na lang ang epekto sa akin?' he thought, trying his best to draw his eyes from hers.

Since he didn't want to let his guard down, he immediately shifted his attention to Robert. "Rob, why don't you bring Miss Raffie to our school building after lunch?"

"Yes. In fact, I've really thought about that, para naman makita mo yung site, Miss Raffie," Robert said. "If you can't decide now we'll be giving you enough time to think about our proposal."

Robert's gentle approach helped Raffie to find the right words to say. "Actually, this is such a great opportunity, and for me to be offered this kind of break by no less than the owners of the music school themselves is a real privilege," she declared. "Thanks for the offer and thank you also for giving me time to think about it. I just started in the university kaya medyo nag-aadjust pa ako since I have responsibilities in the church, too. At hindi rin naman kaila sa inyo, Prof, na kaya talaga ako umuwi dito eh para sa family ko, kaya sa ngayon talagang sinusubukan ko na i-balanse muna lahat. Pero makakaasa kayo na pag-iisipan kong mabuti ito."

Quino found himself nodding and listening intently at each word being uttered by Raffie. He also could not help but stare at her engaging face while she was expressing her response to the offer. 'What did she just say? She left a thriving career in London for her family?' He realized that he wasn't just facing a career-oriented woman but someone who also valued her family over her own personal dreams.

Remarkable.

If not for the waiter's arrival at their table to serve their orders, Quino wouldn't have noticed that Robert was actually asking him about something. He faced Robert with an inquiring look. "Come again?" he asked.

"Sabi ko sumama ka na rin sa amin sa building para makita mo yung mga latest na ginawa ng interior designer," Robert declared.

"Ah...kayo na lang. I need to go back to the office immediately after our lunch," Quino said.

"I see. Okay, then. Sa bagay, kanina ka pa masyadong preoccupied, pansin ko," Robert said. Then facing Raffie, he went on, "Ito kasi si Boss Quino ang isa sa mga busiest executives sa company nila, Miss Raffie, kaya pagpasensyahan mo na, ha."

"Oh, I understand," Raffie said.

"Alam mo ba, Bro, I visited the site yesterday and I was surprised when I saw this framed picture of yours hanging on one side of our den's wall. May naitago pa palang souvenir from your first recital," Robert shared.

"Photo of my first recital hanging on the wall?" Quino asked, his forehead creased. "You've got to be kidding! Saan naman yun galing?"

"Dala daw ni Achi Moira, according to the interior designer. Pero alam mo bagay naman dun sa den natin, ha," Robert said. "You see, Miss Raffie, Boss Quino here plays the piano quite well. I still remembered that first recital kasi nga dahil dun sa performance nya na-enganyo din ako matuto ng piano. More on string instruments lang kase ako noon, eh. Sya naman halos lahat ata ng mahawakan nyang musical instruments ang ang bilis nyang matutunan."

"Sobrang gifted ka pala sa music, Sir Quino," Raffie observed. "Ano yung piece nyo nung recital na yun?"

Quino felt a bit of pride as he answered, "The Flight of the Bumblebee."

"Oh, that's the most famous composition of Nikolai Korsakov...wow!"

"I had a great piano teacher - my mom," he said, his voice suddenly trailing off. Then silence ensued.

Robert understood his friend's immediate change of mood. He merely changed the topic and tried to keep the conversation going while they were eating.

After taking their lunch, Quino went back to his office while Raffie and Robert proceeded to the building.

Robert toured Raffie through the place which was still being renovated. Then they went inside the room which Robert described as his and Quino's den.

Raffie saw the framed picture that Robert mentioned while they were in the restaurant. It was the 15 year-old Quino playing the piano. He seemed rather chubby then, and he was sporting a crew cut hair. He also had a sparse mustache which Raffie thought to be cute.

Out of the blue, she remembered someone who looked exactly like him. That young man with sparse mustache. Then, as she looked at the next photo where Quino posed with his fellow recitalists and teachers, she suddenly saw two familiar faces.

"Si Mommy 'to at yung friend nya, ah," Raffie said, rather amazed.

Upon hearing Raffie, Robert immediately went behind her. "Si Tita Carmi? Where?"

Raffie pointed to the two women who obviously have Chinese features.

"Oo nga, ano? Tita Carmi's with Tita Lisa, Quino's mom...so it looks like acquainted sila," Robert surmised.

"Kailan ba 'to, Prof?" Raffie asked.

"Mga eleven years ago...highschool pa kami nyan, eh," Robert replied. "Nagtuturo kase si Tita Lisa ng piano sa mga bata na sinusuportahan ng foundation nila. Yun din yung plano namin dito, actually...yun bang ipagpatuloy yung nasimulan ni Tita Lisa. So we're opening this school not only for profit."

"Well, that's admirable," Raffie commented.

"Sayang nga kase hindi na makikita ni Tita Lisa yung fulfillment ng dreams nya. Yung piano recital na yun ni Quino, yun ang first and last na na-witness nya...the Lord took her just before we graduated in high school."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," Raffie said, suddenly realizing the reason for Quino's silence after he mentioned about his mom being his piano teacher. "I think I remember Tita Lisa...naisama ako ni Mommy sa burial nya."

"Talaga, andoon ka? Well, that's...quite astonishing," Robert commented. "Di lang tayo nagkita-kita doon, perhaps sa dami ng tao."

"Sobrang bata pa ako noon, Prof," Raffie said, recalling the first and the last time she talked to Lisa.

(FLASHBACK - 12 YEARS AGO)

"She looks so adorable, Mare!" Lisa Chua commented as Raffie ran towards her mom. She had just finished her ballet lessons and Carmi was already there to pick her up.

"Oh, yes, let me introduce you to my unica hija. Anak, this is Tita Lisa, one of my closest friends in college. Mare, this is Raphaella Pierre, and she'll be turning 13 next month," Carmi proudly introduced. "We fondly call her Raffie."

"Hello, Raffie!" Lisa greeted, extending her hand.

"Hello Tita, mano po," Raffie greeted back courteously.

"Ang galing mong sumayaw! Meron din akong anak na babae, iba naman ang hilig. She paints. Maybe you should meet her some time," Lisa said.

"Opo, sana nga po...actually, I also love to play guitar and I sing, too," Raffie declared.

"Siya nga? Aba, mukhang mas magkakasundo kayo ng bunso kong anak. He's so passionate about music, and he plays the piano so well...alam ko na, let's schedule a dinner at the house so our families could be acquainted. What do you say?" Lisa beamed.

"Oh, that's perfect, Mare," Carmi said. "Just let me know so I could bake my special chocolate mousse cake for your family."

"All right, Mare. Naku, alam mo ba, I think yung bunso ko, si Shoti and your hija will click together as soon as they see each other. Parehong musically gifted, eh...and who knows, maybe in the future maging sila, ha? O, di ba?"

Carmi laughed loudly. "Mare, ha, ang babata pa ng mga anak naten nagpa-plano ka na."

"Well, just saying...we don't know what the future holds. Basta, I like your daughter so much," Lisa said.

        (END OF FLASHBACK)

Raffie didn't know what happened about the dinner that her mom and Tita Lisa talked about that day.

All she knew was that the next time she saw Lisa was when she was already in her coffin. Raffie felt a twinge of sadness as she recalled that moment.

'So si Sir Quino pala yung bunsong anak ni Tita Lisa...so it was him...it was him.' Raffie thought, staring intently at Quino's photo.

*****************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.3K 5.5K 33
HR #759 [ Warning: Not edited. You will find lot of errors and mistakes. ] ❝Falling in love is like sleeping... We slowly fall asleep bit by bit and...
607 53 28
"I never thought that a man would love me" I say coming to my senses. "Well you thought wrong because I love you" he says. his hand finds it's way in...
4.9K 237 25
Y/n x straykids When y/n installs a random hookup app she never expects to make friends and fall for not one but 3 men who might not like her for her...
5.3K 354 60
There are millions of tiny things in this world, a million little reasons why certain things are not meant to happen. And one of them is why I can't...