13 Reasons Why Hannah Baker L...

By espinosa1989

What if Hannah Baker survived her attempt? What would that world look like? In this world, she survives her a... More

Chapter 1: October 9th, 2017
Chapter 2: The Tapes
Chapter 3: Paying The Price
Chapter 4: Sooner Or Later, The Truth Will Come Out!
Chapter 5: Free Solo
Chapter 6: Tape 9
Chapter 8: Clay's Tape
Chapter 9: The Confrontation
Chapter 10: It Has To Get Better
Chapter 11: The Trial Begins & The 1st Polaroid
Chapter 12: The Hallucination
Chapter 13: Jessica's Testimony
Chapter 14: The 2nd Polaroid
Chapter 15: Hannah's Poems
Chapter 16: The Secret Relationship
Chapter 17: Clay Testifies
Chapter 18: The Tapes Are Out
Chapter 19: Porter's Testimony
Chapter 20: The Clubhouse
Chapter 21: Bryce & Chlöe
Chapter 22: Awakening
Chapter 23: Confronting Monty
Chapter 24: The Verdict
Chapter 25: The Sentencing
Chapter 26: The Aftermath Of The Trial
Chapter 27: Spring Fling
Chapter 28: The New Girl
Chapter 29: The Disappearance of Bryce Walker
Chapter 30: Jessica's Speech
Chapter 31: The Truth About Chlöe
Chapter 32: Student Body President Jessica Davis
Chapter 33: Bryce Walker Is Dead
Chapter 34: Tyler
Chapter 35: Tyler's Gun
Chapter 36: The Problem With Alex Standall
Chapter 37: The Funeral
Chapter 38: There Are A Number Of Problems With Clay Jensen
Chapter 39: Return of the Counselor
Chapter 40: The Problem With Justin
Chapter 41: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.1
Chapter 42: Olivia Returns To Town Pt.2
Chapter 43: What Does Charlie Know?
Chapter 44: I'm A Survivor
Chapter 45: Homecoming
Chapter 46: Let The Dead Bury The Dead
Chapter 47: It's Not Supposed To Be Easy For People Like Us
Chapter 48: SRO
Chapter 49: Sanderson University
Chapter 50: The Mysterious Caller
Chapter 51: Love Is Love
Chapter 52: The Legend of Burnham Woods
Chapter 53: Find Your Drink
Chapter 54: Is It A Drill? Part 1
Chapter 55: Is It A Drill? Part 2
Chapter 56: The Session
Chapter 57: Tyler's Deal
Chapter 58: Gordon Lightfoot
Chapter 59: The Walkout & The Riot
Chapter 60: Prom Part 1
Chapter 61: Prom Part 2
Chapter 62: The Finals Days Of Justin Foley
Chapter 63: Justin's Funeral
Chapter 64: The Return Of The Tapes
Chapter 65: Graduation
Chapter 66: Goodbye
Chapter 67: 20 Years Later
Chapter 68: The Reason Why I'm Still Going

Chapter 7: The Stop Sign

59 1 0
By espinosa1989

Clay remembered back to the last moment he had with Jeff Atkins. He was leaving Jessica's party when Jeff tried to get him to stay or go with him on a beer run. Clay declined. Jeff told Clay that he was sober, he had 2 beer 2 hours earlier. Clay left the party as he began walking home. He stopped at a park when he heard a crash. He ran towards where the sound came from and found a crash site. He was horrified when he found Jeff's lifeless body, but the other driver was still alive. Clay called 911 as the police and ambulance arrived minutes later. What he didn't know was how it happened, until he heard Sheri Holland's tape, reason number 10. After Hannah witnessed what happened to Jessica, she made her downstairs in distress. Sheri offered her a ride home and Hannah accepted it. As Sheri was driving her home, Hannah wanted to tell her what happened but instead she tell her that she's drunk and her parents are going to be mad at her. Sheri offer Hannah to spend the night with her as she's staying with her father. Hannah's phone battery had died and Sheri offered hers. Sheri takes her eye off the road for a second looking for her phone when she sees the stop sign. Sheri hits the brakes as the car bumps the stop sign, knocking it down. Hannah wanted to reported but Sheri was in a hurry to get home because she has a curfew. Hannah didn't want to leave, so Sheri just left her. Hannah was left stranded on the road. She left the scene looking for a phone. Once she did, she called 911 but it was too late. The result, Jeff Atkins died in a car crash. Hannah thought that it was Sheri who called 911 when it was actually Clay who did. Hannah never knew that. The following Monday, Hannah tries to tell Clay the truth about Jeff, the stop sign, & Jessica but Clay becomes angry thinking she is making it about her. That's when Hannah believes that Clay wants nothing to do with her. Hannah then sees Sheri in the hallways and she then asks Hannah to keep her mouth shut about it. After hearing Sheri's tape and remembering that week, Clay regrets ever getting mad at Hannah that day. The next day at school, Clay sneaks into school and has word with Sheri.

Sherri Holland: Are you gonna tell anyone?

Clay Jensen: We have to tell somebody. We have to do something.

Sherri Holland: But it's over now.

Clay Jensen: It's not over for his family. They still think he was driving drunk.

Sherri Holland: He was driving drunk. For all we know, it wasn't the sign that caused the problem.

Clay Jensen: You know that? Or you just want to believe it?

Sherri Holland: This is why I didn't want you to listen to my tape. I didn't...

Clay Jensen: You wanted to keep your secret.

Sherri Holland: No. Because I didn't want you judging me for the worst thing I've ever done. Other people, they know my secret. But you're different.

Clay Jensen: I'm going to the police station...

Sherri Holland: Clay.

Clay Jensen: To register for a drug diversion program that I have to take because your friends got me suspended.

Sherri Holland: I didn't know anything about that. I think it was terrible.

Clay Jensen: Do you? Why don't you stop it?

Sherri Holland: What can I do?

Clay Jensen: His family, the man he hurt... they deserve to know how it really happened.

Sherri Holland: We don't know how it really happened! I mean, yes, the sign was down. But he was driving drunk.

Clay Jensen: He wasn't drunk.

Sherri Holland: You know that? Or you want to believe it? I made the biggest mistake of my life. And I'm trying to keep it from ruining my life. Do you get that?

The bell rings.

Clay Jensen: You should get to class.

Sherri Holland: I'm trying to make it better. And I'm trying to make up for it. Will you just meet me after school?

Clay Jensen: Why?

Sherri Holland: So that I can show you, before you go tell the world what I did. Give me a chance to prove to you that I'm not like everyone else on the tapes.

Clay Jensen: Fine. I'll come.

Sherri Holland: I'll text you the address. Are you gonna be okay today?

Clay Jensen: Yeah. Fine.

Meanwhile, Jessica's drinking problem is getting a toll on her. She convince Justin to sneak into the auditorium to have some fun.

Justin Foley: Wait. What about drama?

Jessica Davis: No more drama. All good.

Justin Foley: No, drama class.

Jessica Davis: You're thinking about drama class?

Justin Foley: If they walk in during first period, it's going to be awkward, no?

Jessica Davis: We'll tell them we're rehearsing a love scene. They're theater nerds.It would help them to know what actual sex looks like.

Justin Foley: All right, we should go, we should go. I should show my face in first period.

Jessica Davis: You're just scared we'll be caught.

Justin Foley: No.

Jessica Davis: Yeah. You are.

A ghost light was on stage with the light turned on.

Jessica Davis: But if they can't see us, we can't be caught. Come on.

They start looking for a switch

Justin Foley: Where's the fucking switch?

Jessica Davis: Here's the switch.

Jessica begins throwing metal nails at the ghost light as Justin can clearly see that she is in fact drunk.

Justin Foley: Hey, Jess, what the fuck?

Jessica Davis: Let's see who can break it first.

Justin Foley: Like, break the light bulb? What are you, 6?

Jessica Davis: It's just a stupid light bulb.

Justin Foley: What the fuck is wrong with you?

Jessica Davis: When did you become such a pussy?

Jessica throws a nail at Justin.

Justin Foley: Hey! Hey, why are you acting crazy?

Jessica Davis: Why aren't you?

Justin Foley: Cut it the fuck out.

Jessica continues throwing nails at Justin.

Jessica Davis: Throw it back.

Justin Foley: Jess, stop. Jess, what is happening with you?

Jessica Davis: Nothing. Nothing's happening, right?

Justin Foley: Fuck this. I'm out.

Jessica Davis: Bye!

Justin leaves Jessica as he makes his way out as Jessica is now pissed off. She decides to go find Bryce who was buying weed. Jessica invites Bryce over to her house to smoke since her parents are out of town. The Bakers & their lawyer, Dennis Vasquez are meeting with the lawyers for the school including Laine Jensen to discuss the settlement that the school has put on the table.

Laine Jensen: The district feels the settlement is in the best interest of both parties.

Dennis Vasquez: Then why isn't the district here?

Laine Jensen: I think they felt this would be a preliminary discussion, and once we got to finalizing terms...

Dennis Vasquez: Which we won't. The offer's an insult. $200,000 Dollars for almost losing their child, for the suffering of her parents?

Laine Jensen: We can all agree no amount of money can equal Hannah's life, but it is an attempt to further healing. And to be frank, it's more than a public school district can afford.

Dennis Vasquez: That's not our concern. They have insurance.

Laine Jensen: The district is self-insured. Every dollar spent here comes out of the classroom.

Dennis Vasquez: You and I both know that's bullshit. Tell them to fire a few administrators. Starting with Gary Bolan.

Laine Jensen: I don't think that's within the scope of the agreement.

Dennis Vasquez: Let's start with the NDA.

Laine Jensen: Standard.

Dennis Vasquez: It's a non-starter.

Laine Jensen: I don't know how far we get without it.

Olivia Baker: You want to keep this quiet. You want Hannah's story hidden away.

Laine Jensen: The district will continue its anti-bullying efforts and will commit to a suicide prevention program to be in place by the beginning of the following school year.

Andy Baker: Why... Why wasn't it in place already?

Laine Jensen: There was a policy in place. There will be a better one.

Dennis Vasquez: Well, that's nice.

Laine Jensen: We all want to ensure that this doesn't happen to another child, period. The financial means of the district will affect its ability to assure that.

Dennis Vasquez: Well, that's cold thinking.

Laine Jensen: We all want a solution that's fair to everyone, Dennis.

The Bakers turned down the first offer from the school. After the meeting was over, Laine & Oliva both go to use the bathroom. After they're done, they begin washing their hands.

Olivia Baker: I know your son.

Laine Jensen: I'm sorry?

Olivia Baker: Clay. He visited the house. And the store. He's the one who gave us the magazine.

Laine Jensen: I see. We probably shouldn't be speaking...

Olivia Baker: He's close with Hannah. Did you know that?

Laine Jensen: He, um... He told me that, yes. He misses her very much.

Olivia Baker: That's nice. He seems like a good kid.

Laine Jensen: He's a very good kid, yeah.

Olivia Baker: Tell me, how much is his life worth to you?

Laine Jensen: Mrs. Baker, we shouldn't be having this conversation.

Olivia Baker: Don't you think it's exactly the conversation that we should be having?

Laine Jensen: My son is worth everything to me, as I'm sure Hannah is to you. And if I lost him... felt someone had taken him from me, I would pursue any remedy possible. Yes. But I don't know any amount of money would suffice.

Olivia Baker: Would you settle for, say... $200,000 dollars?

Laine Jensen: I think I would only settle for the truth... whether I liked it or not.

After school, Sheri texts Clay an address. When Clay arrives, he couldn't believe where Sheri brought him. It was the Baker's first house they lived in when they first move to Evergreen County, which now belong to elder man who survived the same crash thay killed Jeff Atkins, Mr. Cantrell. That night after the crash happened, Mr. Cantrell was asking for his wife. Clay asked him where he lived as he ran all the way to the Cantrell house and informed Mrs. Cantrell of the car accident. Clay knocked on the door as Mrs. Cantrell answers it. She was happy to see him and tells Clay that Sheri said a 'Clay' would be coming. Clay sees Sheri come down the stairs helping Mr. Cantrell. He was happy to see Clay come visit him. They have a small chat for a little while until it was time for Sheri to walk their dog. As they are walking the Cantrell's dog...

Sheri Holland: The first time I came here, I tried to tell them. I stood on the front porch and I just... I couldn't get a word out. I remember Mrs. Cantrell saying, "Well, don't just stand there, come in." The next time I stopped by, they invited me for dinner. The next time after that, I helped hang pictures, and now I just spend time with them, help around the house.

Clay Jensen: They seem to like you.

Sheri Holland: Yeah, they're cute. They remind me of my grandparents.

Clay Jensen: But they don't know the truth. You didn't tell them about the accident.

Sheri Holland: What good would that do? Mrs. Cantrell says he still has nightmares about it.

Clay Jensen: What about the other family?

Sheri Holland: Look, I can't. I... I just... I can't face them. And what they might do? Look, I will tell them. I will. Someday.

Clay Jensen: You have to tell them now. Like, today.

Sheri Holland: Why now? Why today?

Clay Jensen: Because every day hurts.

Sheri Holland: How do you know?

Clay Jensen: Every day they live not knowing the truth. They need this, Sheri.

Sheri Holland: They do, or you do?

Clay Jensen: They're hurting.

Sheri Holland: How do you know that? Did you go see them?

Clay Jensen: That's not the point. You can't keep this secret anymore.

Sheri Holland: It's my secret, not yours.

Clay Jensen: Have you at least gone to the hospital?

Sheri Holland: Yeah, I have. Just seeing her like that, wrist bandaged up, breathing through a tube, hooked up to a machine. We did that to her.

Clay Jensen: Hannah thought you were the one who called 911.

Sheri Holland: I did actually, but someone else already called it in. Just like with Hannah when she called 911 to try to report it.

Clay Jensen: It was me, Sheri.

Sheri stops on her tracks as she looks at Clay.

Clay Jensen: I was the first one there. I found him, dead. Just be glad you didn't see that.

Sheri Holland: Oh, my god. Clay, why didn't you say anything before?

Clay Jensen: Because I just lost my friend. I was sad & mad at him. Before I left the party, he asked me to come along with him. Had I gone with him...

Sheri was speechless, she didn't know what to say.

Clay Jensen: Imagine if I had gone with him. Would we be having this conversation? Would I even be on the tapes? It could've been me, too. It could've been me. How would you have felt? Think about that.

Clay just walks away as Sheri begins to tear down. Clay decided to pay Jeff's parent a visit. He never met them til now. Jeff told them all about Clay. Clay told them the truth about that night. He told them that Jeff wasn't drunk and that the stop sign was knocked down already. He never mention Sheri & Hannah. Meanwhile, Jessica & Bryce are getting high at her house. Jessica brings Bryce to her father's office and shows off her father's gun, much to Bryce's fear. The sun has set as Clay makes his way to Eisenhower Park as he sits on a swing as he begins to finish listening to Sheri's tape.

Hannah Baker: I walked by their house three times the week after Jeff died. I even got their phone number and called. And didn't leave a message. I wanted to tell them. I couldn't. I know it was guilt I was feeling. And anger. I think lots of anger. Anger at the whole fucking world and the way it works. But mostly anger at myself. For what I could have had, and never would. That's terrible decision number 2. That's up next. That's another sad and stupid story. There's so much wrong in the world. There's so much hurt. I couldn't take knowing I'd made it worse. And I couldn't take knowing it would never get any better.

The tape ends as Clay notices that Tony had arrived.

Tony Padilla: I thought you'd be here. I think I will join you.

Tony sits on a swing next to Clay.

Clay Jensen: I found Jeff. I was the first person at that accident, and I found him. In his car. Dead.

Tony Padilla: Jesus, Clay.

Clay Jensen: Why didn't Hannah tell anyone about the stop sign?

Tony Padilla: Maybe she was afraid.

Clay Jensen: I was so pissed off at Jeff. And at Hannah, for making it all her drama. I didn't know.

Tony Padilla: Well, now you do.

Clay Jensen: And this just gets worse, right?

Tony Padilla: You afraid?

Clay Jensen: Yeah. I'm gonna listen anyway.

Tony Padilla: Cool.

Clay takes out the tape and inserts tape 11.

Clay Jensen: You don't have to hang with me.

Tony Padilla: I think maybe I should.

Clay Jensen: Why?

Tony Padilla: Because it's your tape.

It was the moment that Clay had been dreading. He's finally reached his tape. He get off from the swing and contemplates whether to listen to it or not.

Clay Jensen: I can't do it.

Tony Padilla: You can't? After all this, you can't?

Clay Jensen: No. Jesus, Tony. Death, and rape, and what the fuck is next? What did I do that Hannah thought was worse than that?

Tony Padilla: Don't you know what happened?

Clay Jensen: No, clearly, I don't. So tell me.

Tony Padilla: You know I'm not going to do that.

Clay Jensen: Tell me this, then. Tell me the truth, and I'll listen to the tape. Did I kill almost Hannah?

Tony Padilla: We all let her down.

Clay Jensen: That's not what I asked. Did I almost kill Hannah Baker?

Tony Padilla: No, she tried taking her own life, Clay. That was her choice. But you, me, everyone on these tapes, we all let her down. We didn't let her know that she had another choice. Maybe we could have saved her, maybe not. It's impossible to know.

Clay Jensen: Answer the fucking question. Knowing what you know, believing what you believe, knowing me, knowing her, and what's on these tapes... did I almost kill Hannah Baker?

Tony Padilla: Yeah.

Clay didn't know how to feel. Everyone have listened to his tape, but now it's his turn. As the Bakers sit next to their daughter at the hospital & Jessica is getting high with Bryce, Clay now has to listen to how he almost made Hannah Baker take her own life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

423K 5.5K 56
In my imagines, I use the characters from 13 Reasons Why, but I portray them as if they're better people. So that's just a "warning" I guess. Also, I...
55.5K 981 12
What if Clay could have saved Hannah? What if their love story could have continued? I for one was devastated by the ending of 13 Reasons Why so I've...
2.9K 99 20
The following story that you are about to read is what I would have done if I had been a student at Liberty High and I think that that could have pre...
830K 15.4K 117
Once upon a time a girl named Lils really wanted to publish something while she was working on another story and listening to Fall Out Boy, and then...