Sharingan No Naruto

By DSCodex

The flap of a butterfly's wings... A sick twist of fate put in motion a series of events that turned our fav... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Sharingan
Chapter 2: Repercussions
Chapter 3: Change Of Heart
Chapter 4: Team 7
Chapter 5: Road To Chunin
Chapter 6: Forest Of Death
Chapter 7: Bird of Prey
Chapter 8: Battleground
Chapter 9: Ero-senin
Chapter 10: Caged Bird
Chapter 11: Invasion
Chapter 12: Sandaime
Chapter 14: Interlude
Chapter 15: Broken Senju
Chapter 16: Resolve
Chapter 17: Siege
Chapter 18: Boneyard

Chapter 13: Will of Fire

391 14 4
By DSCodex

A soft breeze followed an elderly man in white robes and the little blonde child holding his hand. They had taken to having these little 'play dates' - as the kid put it - at least twice every week and this one was not an exception. The old man chuckled as he walked hand to hand with the bundle of joy that jumped and played around the streets of his beloved village.

...u...

The villagers watched the lovely scene and voiced their admiration of the kind man and his altruistic nature, everyone knew who that man was of course. Konoha's very own Sandaime Hokage taking time off to hang out with some nameless orphan, 'he's truly a man of compassion' they thought, incapable of realizing there was more behind his commitment to the boy than just charity.

..a.u...

"Settle down my boy, these old bones can't keep up with you anymore." He was lying of course, but it seemed to work if the little boy no older than six sitting by his side was anything to go by. They both sat there and relaxed, watching everything and nothing at the same time, just the two of them sitting alone in a park somewhere in the village.

..a.u.....?

Hiruzen watched fondly as the little boy's gaze was focused solely on a butterfly that happened to fly close to them; he looked so innocent... what he wouldn't do to have it remain that way. "Tell me Naruto-kun, what do you want to be when you're older?"

...a..u..?

The boy beamed at the question and looked at the man with a fire and determination that had no place in the eyes of a kid his age. "When I grow up I'm going to be an awesome ninja like you Jiji! I'll take that hat from you so you can rest your old bones dattebayo!"

..a.u..o?

Hiruzen laughed at his boisterous claim and ruffled his hair affectionately, there was no doubt in his mind that the little boy would do exactly as he said."I look forward to it."

...aru...o..

That's exactly what Naruto loved the most about his Jiji, not once did he ever question his goals or call him stupid for aiming so high; all he ever received from him was unwavering faith and support. That's why Naruto loves and respects the Sandaime like he does no other.

He would do anything to make him proud.

Naru..o..

The boy found himself moved to tears by the love he received from that man and felt like an idiot for making a fool of himself in front of him, not to worry though, Hiruzen had always known how to make Naruto feel better. "Why don't we go and get you some Ramen?"

"Naruto!"

'Huh?'

Naruto focused on reality once again and finally caught sight of the tall silver-haired man that was standing right in front of his bed. He knew there was no point in asking how he got in, he just did.

A week had already passed, he was cleared from the hospital just a day after the invasion ended and he went back to his place to be alone.

He didn't even attend the funeral.

"What are you doing here, Kakashi?"

'Rude', thought the man but ignored it as he invited himself to sit right beside Naruto and take on that empty look adorning his face, he felt like a hypocrite; here he was coming all the way to the blonde's house so he could give him a heartfelt speech about grief and why it isn't good to let it consume you and run your life for you.

Yeah right.

Resisting the urge to scoff at his own thoughts, Kakashi put a hand on Naruto's shoulder and patted him comfortingly. He had been in the situation many times before, meaning, he understands Naruto's position more than anyone else. "No one's seen you in a week, Naruto, I thought I might as well come and see how you're doing."

The obvious sunken eyes from the genin spoke volumes, he knows there's no need to ask. He just wanted a verbal confirmation, to hear his voice again. "I'm doing great Kakashi, isn't it obvious?" Okay, the deadpan tone and snarky reply might've been uncalled for but Kakashi knew when a point was being made.

Instead, he said quietly, almost in a whisper, "You missed the funeral,"

Naruto sighed in defeat as he slumped his shoulders against the sheets, he was perfectly aware of the treatment he was giving Kakashi, and that only made him feel sadder. "I'm sorry Nii-san it's just that I-, I couldn't be there, I- I don't-"

"It's okay Naruto, I'm not blaming you, no one is," Kakashi hated watching him in such a state, would anyone blame Naruto for missing the funeral? Absolutely not, any person living in Konoha with half a brain knew Hiruzen meant everything to him. If there was any, then he would just take matters into his own hands. "We were worried about you Naruto, I'm worried about you."

Naruto looked at Kakashi and found himself smiling softly. Losing Hiruzen has been like losing the only reason he even lived for, but it didn't have to be that way, he had people that cared about him now. "I know, I-," He took a deep breath, "thank you."

"If someone knows what you're going through, it's probably me. I don't want to see you living life as a shell of your former self, far too focused on what you've lost and nothing more..." He knew Naruto wouldn't ever be like he was, he's just too good for that, still, it would be better if the boy didn't lock himself for days. "You're allowed to grieve Naruto, you're allowed to cry and you're allowed to vent. I'm not the Sandaime, but I think he wouldn't want you to be locking yourself up. For what it's worth, I will be here for you for as long as I live."

What was he even doing? Sulking around alone in his room staring into nothing, he missed the funeral because he felt devastated and incapable.

He felt so... so guilty.

But there was nothing to feel guilty about, Naruto had done his part during the invasion excellently and everyone knew it, somehow rumors of his exploits during the attack had spread and now everyone in Konoha was talking about the blonde kid and the masked ninja that teamed up with a giant toad to defeat the Ichibi.

He only felt that way because he felt like he needed to, he felt like it was his responsibility; if only he had been there faster- maybe if he had defeated Gaara sooner, he would've arrived just in time to save Hiruzen, maybe if he hadn't offered to aid in fighting Gaara at all he could've been there to fight alongside him.

Naruto locked himself inside of his house because if he got out and helped reconstruct what was damaged during the attack. He would've to go to the tower, he would've to enter the office and...

The Hokage wouldn't be there.

"Kakashi I- if I go out and he isn't there and I- I know it's stupid okay? I just don't, I- agh!" He couldn't hold it anymore, that was the first of many more frustrated and angry yells, frustrated by his own weakness, angry at the heavens for taking him away.

Kakashi understood Naruto's feelings and allowed him to let them out. He sat there for hours, rubbing his back as he lay crying loudly on his lap and reassuring him in a soothing tone, encouraging him to keep at it until he released all his bottled-up emotions. The Uzumaki hadn't shed a single tear after Hiruzen died, at first too numb by the experience and then refusing to accept the harsh reality.

They stayed like that for a while, Kakashi briefly caught sight of a white-haired man watching them through the window and exchanged nods with him as he took care of his little brother, it would seem Naruto was too distraught to focus on his surroundings, or maybe he did feel the man watching them and just didn't care.

After he was done, Naruto looked up and found Kakashi with a reassuring eye-smile as he softly caressed his head. "Don't stay locked in here, I know full well what isolation can do to you and it's not pretty. Seek your friends and help around the village, it will make you feel better."

He had stuff to do so he stood up and walked away from Naruto but he stopped at the door to give him a final message before leaving. "Asuma wants to talk to you, go see him when you can, okay? Oh and take a shower, you stink."

With that he disappeared into a Shunshin and left behind a chuckling Naruto with red puffy eyes and a messed up face, he decided right then and there that the shower might be a good idea after all.

"Why aren't you coming to class, Kono-baka? You think you can just get special treatment while all of us have to help reconstruct and study?" An older academy student soon to graduate was questioning Konohamaru in a less than kind way. The little boy had been nothing but a shadow of himself this past week and dedicated his time to wandering around the village without a clear path in mind.

It enraged some idiots.

"Leave me alone!" Usually, he wouldn't be this bold or rambotious in this kind of situation, Konohamaru had often been the target of bullying and mistreatment from his older classmates for what they always perceived to be special treatment, sadly, with the village in the state it currently is, his usual protectors were a little too busy for that.

His biggest shield was completely gone now.

"What are you going to do about it?" The big kid and his accomplices all burst out laughing at the defensive stand Konohamaru had taken, 'does he really think he stands a chance?' they all asked themselves as they watched their leader throw the first punch.

It didn't land.

An oppressive and intimidating presence suddenly filled the street they were in, the leader of the bunch trembled in fear as he watched a golden shining chain tie itself around his arm, very very tightly.

The few that weren't chained slowly looked to see Naruto standing behind them, Sharingan eye blazing in life and a murderous look on his face. "Special treatment?..." He asked without removing his glare from the kid who tried to hit Konohamaru. "I can give you some of that."

All the kids that weren't restricted took that as their cue to run leaving behind their leader trembling in fear and looking like he was just about to cry, Naruto was no more than three years older than them and he still managed to make himself be feared. "Try that again and I won't be so lenient next time."

He then released the chain and watched as the kid ran off crying as fast as he could, when they all left, Naruto let his aura go back to his normal carefree and kind one. He walked toward Konohamaru while saying, "I don't even know what lenient means 'ttebayo."

Naruto had been hoping that Konohamaru would hug him as he praised him and thanked him repeatedly for helping with his bully, the empty and judgemental look on the young Sarutobi's face was nothing short of unsettling. "You weren't there... you left me alone."

Oh, that's what this whole thing is about.

At the time he didn't understand what his absence might have meant for his self-proclaimed younger brother and former rival/Hokage competitor.

"I did and I'm sorry Saru, I was just being stupid and I wasn't thinking right, if it's any consolation I don't think I'll be able to forgive myself for missing Jiji's memorial I-," Naruto looked at the youngers face as he took a deep breath and quietly said, "I just hope he isn't mad at me."

The sincere tone he used and the dejected look on his face was enough proof for Konohamaru that Naruto hadn't missed the funeral just because he was an asshole - like others - and was actually going through grief of his own. Enough to forgive him, at least for now.

"Naruto-nii!" This time Konohamaru did run and hug Naruto as he cried in the arms of his older brother. "The old man he- he's- and I- I was I-, Asuma oji-san he-"

His crying and sputtering of nonsense continued for a few more minutes in which Naruto could only grasp some of the things that Konohamaru had been trying to convey to him. He gently picked the crying boy up, a comforting hand brushing through his hair. Just like Kakashi did to him. He was already heading to the Sarutobi estate so he might as well give Konohamaru a ride at the same time he provided a shoulder to cry on.

He wasn't fine, not anywhere near it actually. Kami knows it was taking Naruto every bit of self-control he could muster not to burst out crying in the middle of the street with Konohamaru but he found a weird comfort in the situation they were both in.

It was then he realized just what Kakashi meant about not grieving alone, he hadn't realized just how much Konohamaru looked up to him. Naruto relished in the comfort having Kakashi as an older brother provided him, and neglected the role he had taken up when he accepted the title of the little monkey's older brother, even if it was something symbolic at best.

He decided to own up to it now.

Then he started walking to the Sarutobi estate. It wouldn't be easy, going there and not finding Hiruzen waiting for him with a treat ready and countless interesting stories from his youth to share but, he would manage, if not for his sake then for his little brother's.

A soft breeze caressed his cheek and he turned around for a moment, getting sight of the Sandaime's face carved in that mountain. Naruto smiled in fondness and sadness but kept on his way, listening to Konohamaru's incomprehensible babble and sniffing while thinking. 'Keep watching us Jiji... I swear we'll make you proud.'

"I'm not asking you if you want to, Jiraiya."

An elderly woman could be seen berating a white-haired man and neither seemed ready to reach an agreement.

The reason behind their argument? The Hokage position of course.

"I already informed the Daimyo that a Legendary Sannin will be taking the hat, he seemed rather pleased with my choice." As the last remaining member of the village's elders - that had the late Hokage's trust that is - it's Koharu's duty to negotiate the next shinobi to take over the position of Hokage directly with the fire country's ruler.

"Koharu-obaa san, you can't expect me of all people to take over, I'm not Hokage material." Jiraiya desperately pleaded his - in Koharu's opinion - selfish and childish claim fiercely, fully convinced that he isn't the one to become Konoha's ruler.

The elderly woman in question sighed and took a defeated look, she was just so tired of everything, provisionally administering the village for a week in possibly the biggest crisis they had endured would take a toll on anyone, particularly someone who lost many friends. "Listen Jiraiya, this is what Hiruzen wanted and it is what the village needs, get over yourself and act like a self-respecting adult for once in your life! The Daimyo is already tired of waiting for his new Hokage and it's already taking a lot of effort to convince him of ignoring our less desirable option."

Deciding to let go of the subtle insult for a moment, Jiraiya furrowed his brow in thought. He wasn't stupid, nothing good could come out of allowing the less desirable choice to take over, but he still firmly believed he doesn't have what it takes to rule a village. "If it is a sannin you want, there is another one."

Koharu scoffed and chuckled at what she thought to be a terrible idea. "Do you honestly think you can bring her back and convince her of becoming Hokage? You're not as old as me Jiraiya, you shouldn't have gone senile yet."

"Look..." Jiraiya took a deep breath and prepared himself to present his case. "I am in no way ready to become Hokage, Tsunade was practically raised for the position, let me bring her back, I know I can."

The elderly woman looked at the serious and resolved look on the man's face and decided to humor him, if anything she now found himself curious. "The Daimyo is breathing hard on my neck for this, you have two weeks to bring her back and not a day more, if you don't manage to bring her back by then you will take over the hat or you'll watch it fall to his head."

A gloomy thought, but it wasn't going to happen, Jiraiya was convinced that Tsunade would come around and become the next Hokage, after all, he had a pretty convincing student. If push came to shove, he would step in before allowing him to take over, that's the least he could do for his sensei.

"Asuma-sensei?"

Naruto walked into the Sarutobi compound with a sleeping Konohamaru on his back and took on the sad breeze that blew in the place, not even his favorite guard had been up for their usual chatter whenever he happened to stop by. After making sure the young heir got to his room safely and tucking him in. Naruto made his way to the main study of the estate where he was supposed to meet the new head of the clan, Sarutobi Asuma.

"Naruto, it's good to see you, please take a seat." Asuma pointed to a chair in front of him and watched as Naruto nervously sat down, chuckling internally at the unintentionally intimidating mood he set.

Putting all that aside, Asuma sighed and took a deep breath as he handed Naruto a closed envelope with his name written on top. "The reason I asked Kakashi to have you come here is this letter, we went through my father's will yesterday. He left that for you." Naruto's hands started shaking as he grabbed the envelope from Asuma's hands and stared at it, quickly recognizing his grandfather's handwriting.

"I will leave you here to read this by yourself okay? Naruto I-, I know how close you and dad were... many people come here and offer their condolences to us but I doubt anyone other than your friends do that to you, you lost just as much as Konohamaru and I did, for that, I'm truly sorry." After saying his piece Asuma walked out of the room and left the boy all by himself, he stepped into the backyard and looked at the sky, he could only think of his father and how his absence would affect everyone's lives. At the very least they parted ways in the best of terms, omething had made Hiruzen want to fix their relationship years ago, and he was really glad they did.

Back in the room, Naruto opened the envelope and started reading through it carefully with his sharingan activated, making sure to remember every detail of the letter; if one were to look at him from a distance, they would watch as tears fell on the piece of paper being held by those shaking hands.

To Naruto.

As I'm writing this; you're not older than 6 years of age, I'm currently watching over you, taking a little time off to write this letter for you while you sleep peacefully.

It is a bit weird, is it not? I guess it is true that old people like myself are always talking about the day they're going to die and I am no exception, I just wanted to be ready.

In all my years of living, I've made many mistakes but taking you in and making you a part of my family is not one of them. Naruto, you have shown me unconditional love and respect and you have brought a new light into my life, you've inspired me to become a better person and even a better father, Kami knows it was you who unknowingly made me want to fix my relationship with my son. I will never ever be able to repay you. If you're reading this letter it means I'm no longer walking alongside you and admiring your growth.

Fret not.

I will always be with you no matter what so long as you want me to, if you ever find yourself missing my presence, look up the mountains, I will be there watching over you. The faces of the Hokage are carved in a mountain for all to see... I always thought it was unnecessary and a bit egocentric but I suppose it has its uses.

I'm leaving two things behind for you, one of them is something that I found not too long ago and should've probably given to you in that very same instant, I chose not to in the hopes that if you ever found yourself needing to feel the warmth of my embrace you'd get something very close to it even if I'm long gone, it is selfish of me to do so and I hope you can forgive me.

Folded inside of it there's something very special, something that should've been Asuma's but he rejected it many times. I couldn't think of anyone better than you to keep this safe, open it up when you're ready and you'll find the assistance you require.

There's only one thing I ask of you Naruto is to take good care of yourself and Konohamaru, he is still only a baby but I know deep in my soul that just like you, he's destined for greatness.

I hope you grow up into the amazing man I know you can become, always remember that I'm beyond proud of you and that won't ever change, even if I've moved on to the pure world.

With love...

your Jiji, Sarutobi Hiruzen

The Sandaime Hokage.

Naruto let the letter fall into the ground and just sat there, staring at the ground, fighting his falling tears and willing them to stay inside. Just like the letter his mother had left behind, the Sandaime's letter made him feel reassured but sadder.

He decided to put it aside for now and found himself curious about what Hiruzen deemed should've been Asuma's, more importantly, why would Hiruzen make him the keeper of something that important.

Naruto unsealed the contents of the letter and something covered in a beautiful blue scarf with white linings fell on his lap. He picked it up and found a little note on it, addressed to him.

Naruto, if by the time you're reading this I still haven't told you the truth then I am truly sorry, this scarf was knitted for you by your mother. Seek Hatake Kakashi or Jiraiya of the Sannin, they will tell you all that you need to know if necessary.

Useless note at this point, but the Uzumaki could appreciate the foresight of his grandfather all the way back when he wrote his will, it's surprising enough that he added him to his will so long ago, the fact that he even considered Naruto might not know the truth is honestly not as surprising, Hiruzen had always been a smart man.

Naruto unfurled the scarf and put it on, it was really hot that day, very very hot...he didn't care, all that mattered at the moment was the gift made to him by his fiery mother; it meant a lot. After relishing in the comfort of what he thought to be the closest to his mother's embrace he noticed the scroll that was being kept safe in the cover of his new scarf, it was a fairly small scroll with nothing particularly noteworthy, just a scroll with the Sarutobi crest keeping it closed, he shrugged mentally and removed the scroll, not at all expecting what would happen after he did so.

The scroll exploded in a cloud of smoke that filled the room completely and sent Naruto into a coughing fit. When he recovered, a tall dark-skinned monkey with a Konoha hitai-ate looked at him with scrutiny. "K-King Enma?"

Enma the monkey king and leader of the monkey summoning clan stood there in what used to be Hiruzen's study and looked as imposing as ever. "Hello boy, it's been a while."

Though not many times as Hiruzen wasn't one to just summon his loyal friend with no real reason, there were occasions when both friends simply wanted to have a cup of tea together as they caught up with each other lives, it was in one of these reunions that a little Naruto had the pleasure of meeting Enma; if anything, the king was surprised that he was so easily recognized by the boy, even after all those years.

"W-What are you d-doing here, King Enma?" He wasn't usually one to stutter but anyone would probably think twice before talking to the legendary monkey that stood in front of him. That said, Naruto wasn't that afraid of the toads when they first met... interesting.

"I'm here to fulfill Sarutobi's will..." Enma tapped his right foot on the ground and a cloud of smoke manifested again, this time revealing a large scroll that unfurled and revealed a list of names, the last one of them being Sarutobi Hiruzen. "He wanted you to sign this."

"But- but b- but..." The stutters intensified at the sight and even got a laugh out of the big monkey, Naruto managed to breathe slowly again after a few tries and calmed himself down enough to form coherent sentences. "But I already signed the toad contract, how can I sign this one as well?"

"So you did sign the toad contract, it would seem like Hiruzen was right..." He started musing in his head as he rubbed his chin in thought, after a few moments of distraction he caught sight of Naruto's puzzled face and decided to explain. "Sarutobi knew it was very likely you'd end up signing a contract with the toads, it doesn't matter, we are very different kinds of summons."

Naruto nodded his approval and nervously approached the contract, the toads wouldn't get mad, would they? In his situation, it was probably better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission, he was just about to bite his finger and sign with his blood when an intrusive thought stopped him from proceeding.

"What's the matter, boy?" Asked Enma.

"It's just that..." He struggled, struggled to find the words to convey his emotions, to convey his insecurities, "why would he give this to me? Why not Asuma-sensei? I'm not even his real family y'know?"

"Nonsense," Enma interjected with a serious look on his face and a stern voice that dared Naruto to object to his words, "You were family to Sarutobi, blood wasn't important to him, he saw you as a grandson as much as he did Konohamaru. Why isn't Asuma in your place? He simply didn't want to, but that is something you'll have to ask him if you truly want to know."

It felt weird. Being reassured by a dead man's monkey friend was weird no matter how you saw it but, Naruto greatly appreciated it, Hiruzen was and is the first person Naruto could call family and he never stopped questioning himself about it, about how true it was for the elderly man, he now has a definite answer.

Enma was getting tired of Naruto's indecisiveness and had no qualms in letting him know, he still tried to word it a little kindly, mostly out of respect for his late friend and his family. "Let go of your fear and self-doubt boy, I don't wish to be here all day."

That seemed to do the trick for Naruto as he - in a moment of confidence - bit his thumb in blood and wrote his name in the scroll before he had time to doubt himself again. The new name in the scroll shone for a moment before settling back down and Enma smirked at the sight before disappearing in a puff of smoke, Naruto was just about to question what was going on when he too disappeared in the same way.

He opened his eyes and found himself to be standing up on a mountain, a really tall mountain. The young Uzumaki looked flabbergasted at the sight and allowed himself to become distracted, that's why he got scared to the point of almost falling down when he heard Enma clearing his throat behind him. He looked back and once again found himself in shock at the beautiful sight, there right on top of the mountain was the home of the monkey summons, a gated estate full of trees with many different beautiful houses and a big mansion in the middle that was most likely for the king.

Enma walked in without ushering a word and Naruto took it as a key to following him inside, everywhere he looked the were many more monkeys of different sizes, some looked to be shinobi and some others just looked like they had regular professions, it was truly amazing for him to see a society so much like his and yet so different.

"We, the monkey summons bond with our summoners for life," Enma spoke suddenly and it was only then Naruto realized they had stopped walking and were both standing in front of the mansion. "That is what you're doing here, I was Hiruzen's personal summon and will keep on being so even if he's no longer among the living."

At the same time, he finished his explanation around a dozen monkey summons of many different sizes landed in front of them both quietly, showing off their expertise and skill as shinobi. "These are our candidates to bond with you, all of them share the ability to turn into an adamantine staff like myself."

Naruto was then suddenly blindfolded - much to his chagrin - and stood there shifting his feet nervously as he waited for further instruction. "You are going to play rocks, paper, and scissors with all of them."

...

...

"WHAT?"

"Don't yell at me brat! Kids these days are incredibly disrespectful," Naruto found himself a little - very - scared of Enma and regretted his outburst but, could anyone really blame him? How is it that the bonding process of one of the most legendary summons in the shinobi world is something as dumb as playing rocks, paper, and scissors?

"You had the same look on your face Hiruzen did when we met all those years ago... it's annoying," Enma continued. "This is very simple, you're going to play with each and every one of them with your eyes closed, if you manage to get the same results as one of them three times in a row then you're all set, you might think this is a convoluted way of doing it and you'd be absolutely right, now get to it."

Every monkey formed a line in front of Naruto and each took a turn to play with him, Enma watched as the young Uzumaki won every single game he played without really trying to, it would be great if the objective wasn't for him to lose. Much to his annoyance, there was only one more monkey left and he didn't seem to be the one to fail successfully either.

"Enma-oji san!" A small monkey dropped from the trees and landed beside the legendary king who sighed at his presence.

"It would do you good to show me some respect..." The show of respect he got was the little monkey laughing and completely disregarding him, Enma sighed once again. "Where did I go wrong with you?"

"So..." Started the young monkey. "How come no one can beat the blindfolded dude? I bet I could beat him no problem."

Enma was going to explain what was going on to one of his most promising and annoying apprentices but decided not to, thinking he would too lose to Naruto and get humbled for once in his life; what ended up happening was far more interesting. The little monkey played more than three times in a row and every single time got the same result as him, he yelled and yelled multiple curses and calls of a cheater to Naruto being completely unaware of the amused looks of his familiars.

"Well Eiji, it would appear you found yourself a summoner far earlier than I had anticipated." The now revealed Eiji stopped his whining and took on a more surprised and annoyed look. Naruto took that as his cue to untie the blindfold, squinting his eyes at the sudden light, he observed the small monkey in front of him.

"What?! Me?! His summon? Why?!"

Naruto gapped offendedly, eyes wide. "What does "his" mean you brat?!"

"Both of you shut up!" Enma looked at them both and decided to explain after he deemed them calm enough. "You brought this upon yourself when you jumped in the ceremony before allowing me to explain Eiji, Naruto here isn't a Sarutobi by blood but he was raised by one, the Kami no Shinobi deemed him worthy of us, and as the loyal allies of the Sarutobi clan we won't turn him away."

That seemed to be enough of an explanation for the monkey who sighed in defeat, Naruto was far too scared of Enma to boast and rejoice in his victory so he opted to smile warmly and thank Enma for everything he was doing for him.

"From now on Naruto, you may summon Eiji when you're in need of aid in battle, he does too share my transforming abilities. Also, as I said before the toads and us are very different summons so there should be no problem with them, I had shared enough drinks with Gamabunta to think we're friendly enough." Eiji stepped in and looked at Naruto with a judgmental look before sighing in defeat and extending his little hand.

"Summon me to have a snack together or something later, I'd like to at least get to know you before you use me as a smacking stick." Naruto chuckled at Eiji's comment and watched him walk away stomping his feet comically, after he left Naruto walked up to Enma and waited to be sent back home.

"We bond for life, Naruto, you may never summon me in battle because even if you did, I would not help you..." Harsh but fair, Naruto wouldn't want to disrespect Hiruzen in any way though so he was more than willing to comply. "That said, it doesn't mean you can't summon me if you're ever in need of a listening ear or some advice, consider it my way of helping Hiruzen take care of you."

The fact that Enma was actually pretty fond of Naruto ever since he was a child went unsaid as Naruto was sent back to his home by the monkey king finishing his summoning. Naruto reappeared in the middle of his Jiji's house and realized hours had passed by, he found the scroll that summoned Enma to burn to ashes leaving only the scarf his mother had knitted for him behind, he picked it up and promptly left.

But not without stopping to see Konohamaru sleeping well and looking as good as he could given the circumstances, he promised himself right then and there to pass on the contract to him as soon as he was ready.

Naruto opened the door of his house wanting nothing but to sleep and rest his tired self, he felt awful when looking at the mess that had become of his house while he wallowed in self-pity and planned to clean tomorrow, he also had some people to visit in the hospital.

"You took your time brat."

Much to his annoyance, he looked to his left as he walked towards his bed and found Jiraiya seated by himself on his kitchen counter, drinking some tea like he had no care in the world. "What are you doing here Ero-sennin?"

The legendary sannin huffed in annoyance and crossed both of his arms in mock anger. "Now now, that's no way to greet your dear godfather is it?"

"I'm too tired right now, if you have nothing important to say I'll go to sleep, you're welcome to stay over if you want."

Jiraiya deflated but conceded Naruto's point and figured there was a lot on his plate, he knew of the talk he had with Kakashi and he knew he had gone to the Sarutobi estate, he would have to tease Naruto at a later time. "I know you're going through something and I wouldn't bother you if it wasn't necessary but we have a mission, sleep tight, we're leaving tomorrow."

He disappeared shortly after leaving Naruto with no time to question anything, not even the fact that he would be going on a mission with one of the Sannin, he simply shrugged and laid on his bed, falling to the realm of unconsciousness rather quickly.

It would appear like he'd have a difficult day tomorrow too.

"Are you going to track her down Orochimaru-sama?"

The snake Sannin sat in a poorly lit room with only his trusted assistant there . He was in a pathetic state, unable to move his arms or perform any jutsu that required the use of hand signs and unable to do most of his everyday activities by himself.

He was bitter.

"If there's anyone that can fix my arms it's her Kabuto."

"What if she refuses?" Kabuto glanced at him without turning his head, crossing his hands behind his back.

Kukukuku...

"Tsunade is nothing but a shadow of her former self, Kabuto," The Sannin said in between chuckles. "She doesn't have what it takes to refuse me, not even in my state, still I would prefer it if I manage to convince her without the use of violence, she can be very useful to my plans."

Kabuto didn't seem too convinced but knew better than to question Orochimaru and his plans, he still had one question that wouldn't leave his mind. "What will you do if she can't fix your arms, Orochimaru-sama?"

"If that were to be the case, I would have to change into a different body."

That shocked Kabuto. "Are you not interested in Neji's body anymore? Or the Uzumaki's sharingan?"

Orochimaru looked at his subordinate with a scrutinizing look but relaxed shortly after and replied. "The sharingan in a body that is not it's own... that's hardly ideal, I wouldn't benefit from his body, if anything I'd do better simply stealing his eye but that can prove rather hard under the protection of the Hatake and my old friend, as for Neji-kun, a body that survived the application of my curse mark and its forcibly removal? It'll prove to be of high value in my research and that will take time."

"But worry not, eventually his body will be mine."

AN: This update took a little time and to be painfully honest the coming updates will do so as well, I've become very busy over the last few weeks and my writing is still a hobby, one that I quite enjoy but a hobby nonetheless.

That said, I'm not abandoning this, just expect the updates to become slower.

There is a comment by D-Na25 I would like to address. I do want to make Sakura justice, not because she's weak in cannon but because of the fact that Pierrot made her character intentionally dislikeable in the anime, exaggerating things that weren't so prevalent in the manga, her flat chest is just one example. I wanted to write a NaruSaku at first but decided against it in the end, why? Because I don't want Naruto to need Sakura and I especially don't want Sakura to need him, I don't want Sakura's growth to be dependent on Naruto's, I hope that makes sense. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 7K 72
Sasuke Uchiha has just reencountered with Naruto after first seeing Sakura and Kakashi after a while: "Why are you fixated on me?! Why do you care?!"...
60.4K 1.4K 24
(Sequal to Somebody To Call Family) After naruto left to go train with jiraiya, sasuke left konoha to go to orochimaru to get stronger. When naruto f...
7.1K 165 4
1.) This is not cannon. 2.) SPOILERS!! 3.) Remember the trend in my stories: If you see a ⚜ symbol at the end of the chapter title, IT'S SMUT. Here's...
25.5K 551 11
Naruto, the jinchuriki of the nine tails, is beaten, berated, used, and scarred. He has had a rough life, but he will never give up. He will rise aga...