The Banished Guardian

By Gry167

Gryphon Light... An old Guardian that's been around since the Traveller's first contact with humanity. Kille... More

Prologue: Banished...
Chapter 1: Mountain of Darkness
Chapter 2: The Locals
Chapter 3: Emergency Exit
Chapter 4: A Deal Struck
Chapter 5: Chaos on the Highway
Chapter 6: The New Plan
Chapter 7: Old Vendettas
Chapter 8: Field Trip
Chapter 10: Of Light and Darkness
Chapter 11: Beaconfall - Pt. 1
Chapter 12: Beaconfall - Pt. 2
Chapter 13: New Sun Rising - Old Flower Blooming - Red Rose Blackened
Chapter 14: Convergence of Light
Chapter 15: Den of Wolves
Chapter 16: Reunions...for Better or Worse
Chapter 17: What's Cruelest? The World or It's People?
Chapter 18: Trick Question...
Chapter 19: Constriction, Confusion, Communion
Chapter 20: A New Nightmare Awakens
Chapter 21: The Torments of the Past
Chapter 22: Lingering Dread/Regret
Chapter 23: Absolution
Chapter 24: Reunion and Resolution
Chapter 25: Reaching Safe Harbor
Chapter 26: Conspiracy
Addendum 1: Character Themes
Chapter 27: Clash of Beasts
Chapter 28: A Hammer in a Room Full of Nails
Rewrite

Chapter 9: My Name Is...

2.8K 46 25
By Gry167

Chapter 8 Synopsis:
Nix's attack left a devastating curse on Cinder, forcing her to constantly experience hellish pain at Nix's whim. Emerald and Mercury are forced to take her back to the Grimmlands to see if Salem can heal her, essentially failing their mission. A White Fang Lieutenant relays a message to Roman that Adam plans to continue Cinder's plan to destroy Beacon and Roman continues to aid them. Gryphon had flown to the Grimmlands in search of the castle Nix spoke of with the goal of finding the girl from her dream. However, with Void Light's limited stealth ability, he was resigned to using a Darkness power that let him walk between dimension and be completely invisible to everyone. He hid a SIVA node in the castle and used it to find where the girl was imprisoned. After some convincing, he got her out of Salem's castle and escaped without being detected.

|>—>—>—>-<—<—<—<|

The trip to the Grimm continent took two weeks and then one week to find Salem's castle. The trip back only took one week at full speed. Gryphon was currently scanning public radio frequencies for information on what the large Military presence in Vale was for when he tuned in to the "Beacon Broadcasting System". He heard the voice of a broadcaster.

BBS Broadcaster: The Vytal Festival Tournament is the ultimate battle of skill, pitting the world's most powerful Huntsmen and Huntresses in training against one another... and it's finally here!

His passenger woke up with a short yawn as the broadcast continued.

BBS Broadcaster: Academy students from every side of Remnant have gathered in Vale to demonstrate their skill and possibly take home the Gold! Plus, there are whispers of a special event to take place at the end of the tournament!

The Solpiercer was coming into Vale's airspace when communication came.

Atlas Airstrip Operator: Unregistered craft, state your business.

Gryphon opened his comms channel and spoke candidly.

Gryphon: This is Gryphon Light, pilot of the Solpiercer. Returning from a mission in Vacuo.

The other side of the comms remained quiet for a moment before another voice came through.

Ozpin: Welcome back, Solpiercer. We've got a lot to fill you in on.

Gryphon closed his communications and landed at the open port.

|>—>—>—>-<—<—<—<|

In all of his time as a Huntsman, Qrow has never seen a ship like that. Ozpin seemed nervous to speak to this guy, but what makes this guy so dangerous that Ozpin would watch his words carefully?

The Solpiercer's cargo ramp opened and Gryphon slowly came into view dressed in new Hunter armor with the helmet off as not to intimidate his new friend, who's hand he was holding to keep her from wandering off.

Ozpin: Mr. Light, welcome back.

Gryphon: I heard you were attacked while I was gone.

Ozpin: Yes. Criminals in Mountain Glenn get the drop on us, but it won't happen again.

Gryphon raised a doubtful eyebrow at that statement, but kept his opinion to himself. The girl at his side was hidden under an old cloak he found in an old storage box.

She tried to look up at him despite being only a head shorter, but the hood fell over her face in a comical manner which elicited a chuckle from him. This caught Glynda's eye.

Glynda: Who's this?

Coming up with a cover faster than lightning, Gryphon said-

Gryphon: I found her after I...liberated a bandit camp out in the sand. Human traffickers.

Glynda shuddered at the thought of humans selling other intelligent beings for their own profit. Gryphon came down the ramp and the girl followed as closely as she could.

Ozpin: She's clearly old enough to be a student. Does she have a name?

Gryphon: I don't know. They only gave her enough food and drink to survive the bare minimum. Her voice is sandpaper and I can't understand a word she says.

Ozpin: Alright, this takes priority then. Take her to the cafeteria, lunch is about to start soon. We can talk later.

Gryphon nods and walks with the girl back to beacon. As they pass him, Ozpin catches a glimpse of her golden hair that reminds him of something odd.

|>—>—>—>-<—<—<—<|

Gryphon watched the girl eat with surprise. The speed at which she was eating was directly comparable to the ravenous nature of Hive Thralls. He distinctly remembered himself and his fireteam watching a Thrall go ham on the last Burger King.

Gryphon: Slow down, you'll choke if you don't.

Heeding his warning, she calmed down and paced herself. His table was currently the center of attention.

"Is that his daughter?!"

"She's barely older than any of us!"

"She's adorable!"

Gryphon couldn't help but wonder what having a daughter would be like. He, Petra, and Mara are a little too preoccupied with preventing the end of the universe to think that far into the future. Besides, this girl was more like a younger sister than a daughter, she is nearly the same age as when he first died permanently.

Gryphon took out his scroll (which he bought in Vacuo) and pulled up a livestream of the Tournament.

Team RWBY was currently fighting ABRN from Haven. Gryphon wondered if Haven had more spies as he watched the fight conclude. Watching the fight made Gryphon desperately wish he had someone to fight. He turned to see the girl finish her drink while a satisfied sigh.

Gryphon: Done?

She nodded with a smile. This has probably the happiest she's been in years.

Gryphon: Can you tell me your name now?

She stared at him for a moment, deliberating on the choice before shaking her head.

Gryphon: No? Why not?

She pointed at him. He tilted his head slightly and pointed at himself.

Gryphon: You want me to do it?

She nodded her head. She then pointed to her mouth, shook her head, and then pointed at him. Riven solved his confusion.

Riven: She won't speak until you give her a new name.

Gryphon: Why?

Riven: Perhaps she wants to forget her past trauma?

Gryphon thought about it for a moment. He looked her in the eye, trying to find something to name her when he remembered something Nix said.

"I think she might be my opposite."

A three letter name the opposite of Nix...

Gryphon: Lux. You've got to have a special last name too. Something like...Daybreak.

[Lux as in Loux. Like Hoarah Loux, Warrior.]

The girl smiled brightly, her eyes sparkling with magical light. A bright golden Aura shined around her.

Lux: M-My name is...Lux. Lux Daybreak.

Her voice was as gentle as silk and she beams like a ray of sunshine. It was a wonder how she'd warmed up to him in such a short time.

Gryphon: It's good to finally meet you, Lux. I'm Gryphon Light.

Lux: Gryphon...Light. I like it!

She smiles at him again before squinting a rubbing her eyes repeatedly. Gryphon recognized this, an old warlock he knew used to do the same when she misplaced her glasses.

Gryphon: Can't see?

She nodded, rubbing her eyes again as she did. Gryphon figured he had enough Lien from the Vacuo punks that tried to rob him, he could find an eye doctor in Vale if he had SIVA go searching. They could find some clothes while they were out too. As much as she likes Taniks' Cloak those old clothes need to go.

Gryphon: Come on, let's get you some glasses.

She took his hand and walked out with him. She looked up at him as he watched their surroundings and smiled at him again.

|>—>—>—>-<—<—<—<|

SIVA was "confused" by the request for an eye doctor for sure, but it found one anyway. The examination took a few hours, but she eventually came out with a pair of bright yellow glasses. The female doctor was so charmed by Lux that she let them go without paying.

Eventually they found a clothing store called Huntress's R Us. Female clothing being out of his wheelhouse, he let her roam the store and chose her own clothes. That resulted in a few interesting outcome before she settled on. She picked up a bunch of accessories and Gryphon bought those as well.

Gryphon stepped out of the store and turned around.

Gryphon: Come on! We'll catch the next match if we hurry!

Out of the store came Lux, dressed in her new clothes which were honestly just Huntress combat clothes.

Gryphon smiled at her as she admired her picks with a bright wondrous smile on her face. She came over to his side and brushed her hair out of her face.

Lux: I'm ready now! Let's go meet Nix!

She bounced in place as he chuckled at her before motioning for her to follow. They walked side by side, headed towards Beacon.

They were completely unaware of the red Cat Faunus watching them from afar. She seemed moved by what she saw and was hesitant to speak into her scroll, but did so anyway.

Cat Faunus: Adam, that Huntsman has an innocent girl with him. She's no threat.

The scroll was silent until a dark chuckle came through.

Adam: Send a message to this human, I want to get him somewhere alone. Threaten the girl and tell him to meet me at the docks at the end of the tournament. That will be that last piece in place... My Darling.

The scroll went quiet and she looked again at Gryphon and Lux with a solemn expression.

|>—>—>—>-<—<—<—<|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 35 15
From the methane seas of Titan, the Lucent Hive have managed to resurrect the dead body of Oryx, the Taken King. After being guided to Savathûn's Thr...
142K 1.8K 56
In the land of Remnant; Many tales are told and even more are forgotten. Some about hunters, and their glory, and others about what lurks in the dark...
29.4K 468 14
The War between the light and the dark is over, though the toll was great. The moon shattered, planets decimated, and the continents of Earth reshape...
17.7K 409 24
The reader is a female hunter. But not just a hunter, she is The hunter, The guardian. She is the one who had killed Crota, she is the one who had st...