The Burdens We Carry

By mindhackglitch

Niklaus stared at his sister in disbelief "Sister what have you done?" She stared at the blood heart in her... More

Prologue
Which monster do you prefer ?
You must return.
No child deserves a monster
A reason to live
You no longer care do you?
Do what you wish
I am cursed..
His reign will come to an end soon
Its okay to care
That is not the only goal..
She is the most important thing to me..
A misconception..
I truly pity you..
Loyalty, fear? I use both
I pity the foolish bastards
A prophecy..
Oh ye of little faith..
Shut her down will you?
For our daughter
Complete the harvest
Lets hope you dont rise again..
Tell me everything!
As silk ..
The past comes back to bite you I
The past comes back to bite you II
The past comes back to bite you III
Betrayal..
The line between pain..
You'll always be my little wolf
Alliances
Knowing the enemy
Unity
False appearances
You live on my mercy..
Unblinking death
A closer walk with thee
Fear..
The wars to come
To the wars to come II
From the cradle to the grave

Don't leave

3.9K 197 6
By mindhackglitch

The Bayou

Rebekah, Sophie and Hayley continued walking through the woods of the bayou to look for the dead witches.

"So this harvest thingy, I guess there's a bit more to it isn't there? Aside from possibly losing your magic why are you all so desperate getting this girl, Davina back?"

Sophie pursed her lips "I'm sure your sister knows what will happen, why don't you ask her?"

Rebekah groaned beside Hayley "Listen.. as much I hate to admit it but my sister barely shares information if she doesn't think it necessary. Half of time she's off spending time with god knows who, I didn't even know she consorts with witches on such a level that she'd know about their rituals. I always thought Kol was more adept with magical artifacts and the like."

Hayley perked up "But you guys spent centuries together, how can't you know what she does?"

Rebekah sniffed "Our times together was more her watching our siblings unravel over time. While she watched it with a disinterested gaze. She's never been the most open. With Klaus I know what I'm getting, he's cruel, paranoid and diabolical.. Elijah has a darker side yes one he rarely shows nowadays but Kara.." she paused "Kara has never pretended to be anything but a hybrid, she's killed, she's slaughtered her enemies and those who would stand against us yes . I know she can be violent, but her mind has always been more of a mystery. The only time she truly showed interest in anything was when we arrived here. Back when it was nothing but a back water colony. There I managed to see or scratch the surface of who she is.."

Hayley frowned "That's kind of sad, you've spent centuries together but you hardly knew her.. know her"

Rebekah scoffed "Oh and you're the expert on who Kara Mikaelson is?"

Hayley bristled "No, I'm not. I met her once before all this and also I may have stalked her to find out more about her but she didn't show much other than her knowledge on hunter marks.." she admitted

Rebekah chuckled "You stalked my sister? I understand she's beautiful, but that's no reason to stalk someone Hayley.."

Sophie laughed as well while Hayley blushed in embarrassment "Look I just wanted to see what she would do, I mean she was so upset that your younger brother was killed but she did nothing to his killer."

Rebekah sighed gravely "I didn't even know she was in Mystic falls at the time. She didn't stay to even say 'hello'"

Hayley licked her lips "Is it true?"

Rebekah frowned "what ? Is what true?"

Hayley shrugged kicking a branch "Is she stronger than Klaus?"

Rebekah frowned unhappily, that was probably one of the things she never could get over. Her sister was much stronger than Nik yet not once had she lifted her hand when he daggered them, she would see it happen and turn her back. "Yes.. she is. They've only fought once no one knows what it was about but I guess it could've been that Klaus was upset, he felt cheated that his sister who shared the same father wasn't made to suffer the sun and moon curse while he was."

The group quieted down until Hayley spoke "Why wasn't she cursed, from the tales of your mother I would think she'd give her up to your father?"

Rebekah shrugged "My mother.. who knows what went through her head at the time. None of us knew at first but after she killed our mother and we left the old world in search of the new one.. I caught her shifting into her wolf form. She was a gorgeous midnight blue wolf, her eyes burned bright violet. I expected her to attack or to try and scare me off instead she turned her back and ran off into the woods.. of course days after I told Klaus that he wasn't the only hybrid and well.. their fight barely last ten minutes. He attacked and she defended herself making no moves to hurt him— but he was persistent, until she grabbed his neck and snapped it before dropping him to the ground." Rebekah shuddered remembering the hate in her sisters eyes that day "that day she stared at me with so much hate .. I don't think —" she was stopped by a growl.

Hayley looked to where the sound came from when they all paused. Rebekah was readying to defend herself but Hayley shook her head. "No .. that's the wolf that protected me that night"

Rebekah frowned "Well tell it to leave, we need to get out of here before your baby daddy burns all my designer shoes for letting you traipse through the bayou."

Hayley chuckled "Baby daddy? Really?"

"Tsk get it over with Hayley."

Hayley sighed "It's okay, I'm safe and thank you for last night. You can go.." the wolf stared at her bit longer before turning on its heel and running off. The group let out a collective sigh of relief.

"Well I guess we've found the witches then" pointed Rebekah the the dead bodies lying a few feet away. "How long will this take?"

Sophie grabbed her satchel and necessary equipment "Not long"

Hayley sat on one of the logs, her feet was a bit sore traipsing through the woods, maybe it was mistake. She was sure Kara would be angry or disappointed for putting herself in danger. Before she could lament her situation anymore a different set of foot steps neared the area. When both Hayley and Rebekah's head shot up they stared right into a scrawny man. Rebekah went to attack but the vampire was quick to run away.

"Who the hell was that?" Rebekah asked.

"I'm not sure but given the quick getaway I wouldn't say he was a friend or just a hiker.." said Hayley.

"I need to call Niklaus" she picked up her phone , she answered Hayley's questioning look "Because he's with Marcel right now and if this is one of Marcel's informants he'll most likely put one and one together and know we've been planning behind his back especially since Sophie Devereux is with us"

A British voice rang out from the woods when a body was dropped to the ground. Rebekah turned and stared at her sister , her face was blank but her eyes burned with anger. "Care to explain why my sister went against what I asked ? When I specifically asked her to keep the mother of my child safe?"

Rebekah opened her mouth but Hayley spoke instead "I'm not a child! Nor am I defenseless! I can go where I want and I don't need anyones permission."

Kara stared at the stubborn wolf sighing in resignation "I certainly hope our daughter is not as bull headed as you" she turned to Sophie. "Witch .. I'm running out of patience.. truly I am. If I had not been here and sent Elijah to run interference this.." she pointed to the dead body "this man would have alerted Marcellus of your little trip.." she tsked under her breath "Finish what you're doing before I decide you're of no use to me."

Rebekah ignored what Sophie's death could mean instead she asked a question "Why are you even here? I thought you had an errand to run? Not explore the bayou?"

Kara stared at her sister before her gaze flittered to Hayley, who still looked angry "I was following a lead .. unfortunately I was disturbed by him..and after a few questions what he found took precedence."

••••••••••••••

The drive back to the plantation home was done in complete silence, Hayley had nothing to say, Kara was quietly wondering and hoping Elijah completed the second task she asked him to complete.

"Why were you in the bayou?" The question broke the tense silence. Kara thought about the question for a few minutes before answering.

"I heard of the wolf sightings, then last night Rebekah told me you were saved by one of them." She answered partially truthful "I wanted to see if there was more than one.."

Hayley frowned "that's not the entire truth is it ?"

Kara smirked "No.." she answered honestly "Tell me Hayley what were you thinking? Or were you thinking at all? Because putting yourself in danger is the last thing we need at the moment. I'm trying to take back my city but I cannot do that when you walk into danger head on! Especially with the very witch still linked to you"

"I'm pregnant not disabled" the curt response only gave Kara a larger headache.

"I swear if I knew you were this stubborn I might I have turned down your offer for a drink" she muttered softly

Hayley scoffed "As if, you were attracted to me as I was to you, besides you knew I was following you the entire time in mystic falls why didn't you confront me?"

Kara pursed her lips when they arrived at the plantation home, she stared at the home before turning to Hayley "The same reason you started following me .. I suppose. Curiosity is a terrible thing."

Hayley opened the door "Well your curiosity and my stubbornness landed us here.."

Kara side eyed Hayley "Mm.. but it was a fantastic night it led to wasn't it? I recall you begging me for more.." she whispered softly

Hayley blushed as her mind flashed back to the night they spent together  "I misspoke I assure you"

Kara chuckled slightly "mmm lets allow you to live in denial a bit longer then.." she paused before she took a more serious tone  "I don't mean to question your ability to protect yourself Hayley but I need you to understand that once others find you are connected to my family.. connected to me" she hesitated "Losing either of you will not be something I wish to endure.."

Hayley nodded her head in understanding, the words warmed her heart, maybe Kara Mikaelson wasn't as cold as the rumors said she was "I didn't think.. I'm sorry.. I just .. I'm just cooped up here with nothing to do.. and it's maddening."

"I just need you have patience for a little while longer, soon my plans will fall into place — then you can walk and go anywhere in the city without fear of being hurt.."

Hayley raised a brow "When the city is yours?"

Kara smirked and winked "When the city is mine..once again."

•••••••••••••••••

"So you managed to get her to agree even though our brother may have caused my plans to go awry?"

Elijah nodded while pouring the two of them a drink.

"She was under the impression that you'd come"

Kara sighed rubbing the bridge of her nose tiredly "Well I had other things to take care of , namely the mother of my child traipsing through the bayou with that Devereux witch." Before Elijah could answer she heard glass break from upstairs and wasted no time speeding  to the sound. When she entered Hayley's room the woman was staggering on her feet when she managed to catch her just in time. The woman was delirious and burning higher than she should.

"Elijah!" She called picking up the fever ridden Hayley when her brother appeared he noticed the sweaty pregnant werewolf in her arms.

"What's happening to her !?"

Elijah pursed his lips "I'm not sure, but she's burning up — we need to get her to cool off somehow." Kara nodded and walked Hayley down the stairs, Elijah was already there opening the sliding door.

She walked Hayley into the pool not even registering her getting wet. Hayley was muttering about being to warm and she tried to soothe the wolf as best as she could. "I'm here.. I'm here little wolf.." she calmed though inside her heart was beating louder than a drum and she was sure all present could hear it.

••••••••••••

St Anne's

Davina stared at the sanguine knot, she wanted to refuse but she realized that Kara wasn't the one who used her love for Timmy against her. The woman kept her end of the deal and provided the necessary spells to practice her magic.

She levitated the complicated knot and remembered what Kara said about it. It needed a constant stream of magic and concentration in order to unwind. She chanted the Latin words over and over again, nearly giving up when the knot barely moved an inch.

"Come on Davina you can do it" she encouraged herself and tried once more, allowing her magic to flow through her like a quiet stream instead of the raging storm it almost always felt like. When the knot started showing signs of being untangled.. a grin worked its way onto her lips.

•••••••••••••
Mikaelson mansion.

"You're alright.. you're going to be okay.. little wolf .. you and our littlest wolf.. stay with me" she whispered caressing Hayley's skin.

"Kara..." the soft whisper tugged at the hybrids shattered soul.

"I'm here.." she replied , Hayley's eyes fluttered open looking dazed.

"Don't... don't leave.." Kara clenched her jaw, her gaze went to her brother and sister standing beside Sophie's, the cause of this mess.

"I won't.." she promised pecking Hayley's clammy forehead, her eyes closed "I won't.. I promise.."

•••••••••••••••••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 709 28
[COMPLETED] Niklaus and Adeline. Adeline and Niklaus. Everyone's favorite couple. Growing up. Vampires. Marriage? Kids? Or heartbreak? ••••••••...
301K 5.9K 20
"Who are you?" She asked scared. "I've been watching you." He stated. He walked towards her, slowly. "Don't come any closer!" She yelled. "But darlin...
80K 2K 14
All it took was a smile for Isabella Brown's life to change forever. "Aiden please", I beg. My wrists were bleeding because of the friction of the t...
245 15 27
"It's going to be ok... I will never..." I closed my eyes and kept saying "Ever hurt...you.." I looked at her eyes and she looked surprised "I would...