When The Last Petal Falls

By thedarknessclaims

Love conquers everything they say, but does it death? The story of two lovers destined to be together but hau... More

ASTHETICS
Playlist
Prolouge
1. Rituals
2. Arrival
3. Mirror Image
4. Old Friend
5. Memories
6. Betrayal
7. New Territory
8. Velaris
9. First Dinner
10. Smouldering Fire
11: Burning Girl
12. Drunk On The Moon
13. Thawing Of A Frozen Heart
14. Decisions
15. Fights
16. Discovery and Dread
18. Start of the End
19. On The Way
20. Dance with the Day Court
21. Getting Old
22. Just A Taste
23. Exploration
24. Chains of Fate
25. Realisations
26. Ties that Bind
27. Ravens Leap
28. The Temple
29. Waterfall
30. Visitor
31. Minds
32. Would She Regret It Later?
33. Call of Home
34. Her Fate

17. Pleasing A Storm

1K 25 5
By thedarknessclaims

The morning sun shone down on Bellona as she made her way through Velaris. She had left training this morning as soon as she could, not bothering to take Lysander up on his offer of breakfast together. Her mind was still muddled from the night before, snippets of Elain's tense body and her haunting words still echoing, never fading. She had instead started towards Nithar's house to clear her head. The two had grown closer over the weeks since their first meeting. He had become her comfort whenever things got too tense at the House of Wind, so much so, she knew she would miss him when she went back home.

Before Bellona could knock, the door swung open revealing an exhausted-looking Nithar, his skin unusually pale from when she last saw him. His face soon broke into a smile as he saw who it was. "Now here she is", Nithar said swinging his arm around her shoulder. "I'm short a worker for today, maybe I could convince you to help in the bakery?"Bellona rolled her eyes, "wow, not even a hello? Good morning, how are things going?"

"Yeah yeah, all of that", he responded, "please?"

"Well I suppose I could, only on the fact that you look like shit and I get unlimited food", she said as they walked through the bakery door. The smell of fresh bread and clatter of baking dishes greeted them as Nithar left her out front to serve customers, despite her hissed protests. Only giving her shoulder a squeeze as he left to see how things were going out back. Grabbing an apron from the bench behind her and plastering a fake smile on her face, she turned back around to the line, "good morning, what can I get for you?"

〰️

Bellona had just finished mopping when Nithar came up to her carrying a white box, the sweet smell of cinnamon rolls wafting through the cardboard. "Thank you for today, Bell, take these with you as a tribute of undying appreciation".

"Mother, you're so dramatic, but who am I to pass up free stuff?", she laughed and handed him her apron, "I'll see you later".

Bellona began her walk back up to the House of Wind, dreading each step as it brought her closer to the sequel to her first useless lesson with her powers. It had only been Feyre, as they thought it best to be separated from Nyx for a while until things had calmed down. The High Lady had winnowed her to a clearing in the middle of nowhere, where the only witnesses were the pine trees that were shadowed by the dark mountains behind them. It had been nothing but a waste of time, she couldn't even feel a lick of her flame. Feyre had only sighed and enquired about her mental shields. Begrudingly, Bellona admitted the hours that she had spent trying to perfect them before arriving at the Night Court. And well... what a mistake that was.

————-

He was leaning on a gate post, one hand in his trouser pocket, his dark wings seemingly relaxed in the afternoon breeze. "Where were you? You're late".
"Only by a couple of minutes", she answered. "And for an explanation to where I was even though you are not entitled to one, I was helping out a friend".
"You and the word friend in the same sentence? Now that's unusual", he muttered.
Bellona let out a breath as she contemplated kicking his kneecaps in, "where do you want me to put these?" She gestured to the box she was carrying.

With a short wave of his hand, her goods disappeared to somewhere in the house. Bellona could only hope she would be able to find them later. "Well now that's taken care of, shall we get this over and done with?"

The icy air bit at Bellona as they arrived at the same clearing Feyre had taken her to. The wind whistling through the mountains behind her, whispering for her to wander through them. To explore the rugged beauty, to explore the darkness that festered there.

"I was told your last attempts didn't go as well as was expected, so today we are going to try the basics", he looked at her. The silent agreement to get this over and done with passing through the air between them. "You remember how to clear your senses, don't you?"

Bellona nodded.

She closed her eyes and took slow, deep breaths, listening to the sound of her own blood rushing through her ears. The feeling of the soft wind brushing against her cheeks, the black ground underneath her.

"That's good", Nyx's voice quiet amongst her clearance. "Now I want you to concentrate on the veil you have over you magic and slowly take it off."

Bellona ventured through to the part of her she had concealed for years. But she couldn't find it. Even after all these years she didn't think it would be this hard to find the central thing she was born with. She ground her teeth and pushed harder. Pushed to find any trace of the power she had masterfully locked away.
She was about to give up and tell Nyx that it was just another waste of time when she felt a pull. It was like she had entered another part of herself that she didn't knew existed.
She had lost all senses that connected her to the world around her. It was if something else entirely had taken over her, the harder she pulled to get out the more she sought her power. Until she found it.

Found the darkness inside her oozing out of her tightly locked box like black tar, the thing inside rotten after years of underuse. The once quiet melody that accompanied the pull turning to a crescendo against her straining mind as she let go and swam to the surface of her mind.

On the outside, the light blue sky receded as grey clouds rolled in, a tinge of purple seeping through. Spears of light started to fall to the ground, the crackling of thunder making an appearance as well.

"Reign it in!", Nyx yelled.

"What does it look like I'm doing?", she screamed back, feeling as if the magic that coursed through her veins burned them as well.

"It looks like your trying to bloody electrocute me", he gasped peeling his burnt shirt fragments away from his skin.

"Just stop! For mother's sake, just stop for once second", she yelled. "That wasn't me. I mean it was me but... it felt as if there was something else in there pulling me down until I had no other option but to drown in what they showed me".

It was only the second time Bellona had seen him speechless. His posture tight until he exhaled, bringing his head up to look at her again.
The mask that she hated so much present again on his face. The one where he wouldn't let her see what he was thinking. "I shouldn't even have bothered", she thought to herself.

She brushed the stray hairs away from her face in annoyance, "do you know what Archeron? I shouldn't even bother trying to explain myself to you. Your poor brain already has enough trouble trying to keep you alive it doesn't need any complex problems interfering with that". Bellona snapped back at his calmness.

He did not move.
Did not answer back until, "how about we make a deal?, he asked crossing his arms.
"What will happen if I don't keep my end of it?"
"Both yourself and everyone you've ever loved will die a most painful death", he answered in a mocking voice.
"You are so full of shit", she rolled her eyes, "but anyways let's hear it then".
"Let's make a promise that we'll say at least one nice thing to each other a day".
She blinked, "you're kidding... right? We're not twelve".
He shrugged, "or we can just go back to hating each other's guts and see absolutely no progress in these lessons".

Even though she thought it ridiculous, she took his calloused hand and shook it. Realising too late the customs that accompanied her Illyrian companion. The customs that meant bargains come with a binding tattoo, not a moment later there was a burning sensation along the inside of her right forearm.

Already dreading the fight with her mother she knew would accompany the mark, she pulled back her sleeve. A fine line crown sat proud giving way to three mountains with what she could only guess was a quote from a foreign tongue woven through the crevices between them.

"It's ... stunning", she whispered.

"You seem surprised?"

"Anything on me looks stunning, so no I'm not.
She traced it again as she looked back at him, "may I see yours?"
He slipped off his shirt and started to search for his ink. Bellona couldn't help but appreciate the view in front of her. He might be an arsehole but at least he's easy on the eyes, she thought. That thought was interrupted when he started to unlace his black pants. "Uh hold up bud", she said confused.

Amused he looked at her, "I can't find it up top, so that means it must be down there somewhere".
She sighed, "just because we've decided to be nice to each other doesn't mean that you need to take your pants off. I'm not that keen to see it".
"Who knew you to be so prim and proper, your court holds a yearly celebratory orgy".
She glared at him.

He put his hands up in mock innocence, "too far, ok". The wind started to pick up again as the leaves rustled amongst the clover.
"We better get back", he said reaching out his hand for her to take.

As she stepped forward she remembered why her tattoo had seemed so familiar. She had seen the mountain plastered all over the Night Court, with history deeming it the most sacred mountain.

"Okay, it's just..."

"Just what?" Nyx questioned.

"It's Ramiel... I have a symbol of the Night Court forever etched onto my body".

The last thing she saw was the confliction in Nyx's eyes as they winnowed into nothing.

———————————-

Will undergo editing at a later date

Hi everyone,
Sorry I've been so MIA for the past couple of months, God or who ever runs this show decided to give me a bit of character development.
I know this chapter isn't that great but I will be updating more regularly from here on out. I enjoy constructive criticism or suggestions so feel free to comment any scenes or ideas that you would like to see in the future.

Thank you for those who have decided to stick around this long xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.5K 3.4K 74
Feyre Archeron and her best friend had been close since they were young. They trusted each other and were there for each other in times of need. But...
108K 3.1K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
160K 6.3K 66
Completed~After her abusive parents punish her one day, and destroy her book, Luna finds herself in an all too familiar world: Prythian. Here, she me...
137K 1.7K 25
𝙻𝚊𝚢 𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚣𝚎𝚗 𝚛𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚘𝚊𝚝𝚜 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚢 𝙰𝚕𝚕 𝙸 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖...