Just a clichรฉ

By _lovinglove

๐‡๐ž ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฆ ๐ข๐ง ๐š ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ฅ๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ง๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ซ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ž๐. ๐’๐ก๐ž ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฅ๏ฟฝ... More

Welcome :)
Aesthetics
[1] A complete dickwad
[2] Go Fish experts
[3] One collective braincell
[4] Pull yourself together whore
[5] Dumb and giddy
[6] Pet names
[7] Good girl
[8] Ambushed
[9] An idea
[10] Rules are rules
[11] Just distracted
[12] The good flavours
[13] Can you keep a secret?
[14] Hat hair
[15] Lawrence genes
[16] Not all that bad
[17] You scared me
[18] Take a break
[19] Dress shopping
[20] Superstitious
[21] Absolutely breathtaking
[22] Always
[23] Creep
[24] Beautiful couple
[25] I brought the bat
[26] Falling...
[27] A double take
[28] A lightweight
[29] Behind my back
[30] Forgot your pyjamas
[31] Not worth it
[32] Good for him
[34] Two birds with one stone
[35] Blow off steam
[36] This feeling
[37] Then show me
[38] Earth to Delaney Lawrence
[39] The long weekend
[40] Hide and seek
[41] Don't panic
[42] Attitude
[43] Officially married
[44] No more waiting
[45] Perfect time to tell
[46] Young love
[47] Concerned glances
[48] Magical hands
[49] Holiday spirit
[50] A promise
[51] The last time
[52] Saving her
[53] Twisted
[54] Critical condition
[55] Saying goodbye
[56] Safe place
[57] Getting her back
[58] I'm home
[Epilogue] Down the aisle
[Bonus chapter] Our family
[Final Author's note]

[33] Blissfully ignorant

137K 2.6K 4.7K
By _lovinglove

"But when you touch me i remember how it feels to be okay"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

"I can't believe I have to do this every time," I speak into the phone as I walk to my class.

"You agreed, unless you want to go back to my first offer and have me walk you there," Sterling replies as he gets down from a plank.

Yes, this man is on FaceTime with me while he's working out at the gym. Ever since I promised I'd call him when I walk on campus, we've been doing this and he hasn't missed one day. It doesn't matter to him where he is or what he's doing, when I let him know I'm leaving for class, he calls me instantly.

I know it's overkill but I'm not going to lie, it's definitely comforting. I wouldn't admit this out loud, especially around the guys, but that creep really freaked me out. I've heard some horror stories of girls getting attacked on campus and fuck, it's horrifying.

I open the door and walk into the warm building. "Alright, darling. I'm here and I'm hanging up now."

"I'm glad you're safe, Laney. See you tonight."

Sterling and the boys have another game later this evening and of course, I'm going. I'm actually really excited because this is the first time we've all hung out as a group together since my fight with Jemma and Chase.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

Opening the doors to leave class, I breathe the cold air in. I need something to wake me up from that boring ass lecture. This time, I don't call Sterling — much to his dismay — because Daisy is picking me up.

We decided it would be a good idea for the two of us to go to games together considering she goes early to see Mason and I do the same for Sterling, whereas the other girls don't need to get there until  right before the game.

"Hey, Dell, how was class?" Daisy asks as she walks me to her car.

"You know you could've just waited in the car, right? You didn't have to walk all the way over here in the cold just to walk right back," I point out.

She smiles sheepishly and I realize what's going on.

"Sterling told you to, didn't he?"

"I tried saying no. I told him you were a strong independent woman who could walk down the street to my car considering I'm watching you the whole time. But, he started listing off all these statistics of assaults on women on campus, and I gave in. I mean, he had research lined up, how could I say no?"

"Oh my god, the guys are insane. Sterling is insane. They told Chase about it and now he's all freaked out too. I mean do they have no confidence in my ability to protect myself at all?"

"You know it's not that, Dell. It's other guys on campus they don't trust, not you. They're just worried. They love you."

I just nod my head in agreement as we reach her car and I hop in. 'They love you' I replay her words in my mind. I wonder who she meant by 'they.'

I pull out Sterling's jersey that he demanded I wear at his games from my backpack and change into it. I throw it on over my hoodie and fix my hair into a messy bun. We're going straight to the rink and I have no time to shower, so this is as good as it's getting.

We arrive pretty quickly considering the game tonight is at their own rink. My heart beats quicker than normal when we pull into the parking lot and I remember the last time I was here.

Honestly, I haven't given that day a lot of thought.

Okay, that's a lie.

I definitely have. I just chose not to obsess over it.

After all, nothing happened and maybe I was reading into it all. Maybe, he didn't even want to kiss me and Mason and Theo actually saved me from embarrassing myself. Neither one of us wanted to address it though and the fact that we haven't yet, makes that very clear. I'm not sure if I even want to discuss it. I mean, I'm dying of curiosity over what was going on in his head, but it's too much for me to think about. I don't think I could handle any answer right now.

The girls have been asking me about it. About what my feelings mean, about what I want, about what's going on with the two of us. All I can ever really say is 'I don't know.' Part of me wants to figure it out but most of me is scared of changing something and putting what we have in jeopardy. So for now, I'll continue to remain blissfully ignorant and stay in the dark about his and my own feelings.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

Daisy and I make our way to the team's locker room and while she goes in to see Mason, I wait outside for Sterling to come to me.

"Hey, Laney," Sterling greets me with a big smile as he closes the door behind me.

"Fancy seeing you here, darling." My words almost get lost on their way out of my mouth when my brain short circuits as I take in his appearance. His hair is messy, like always, in a perfect sort of way. He is shirtless and only in a pair of athletic shorts and running shoes, clearly not wanting to get ready until the last moment.

I try to pry my eyes from his sculpted chest and defined abs but I know he's already caught me looking.

"Hey, hey, eyes up here, babe." Sterling points to his green eyes and sports a cocky grin.

"Babe?" I mock. "You know, you sound like a douche bag when you say that." I smile up at him teasingly.

Sterling doesn't react to my jab, instead, he smirks as he pulls me into his chest by my hand and leans down, his lips brushing my ear. I melt under his touch and if his body wasn't against my own, holding me up, I would definitely collapse. His familiar scent invades my nostrils and fills me with both comfort and craving.

"We're going to have to find another name then, huh, babe?" his voice comes out in a raspy whisper.

Instead of saying anything, I just nod my head abashedly.

"Speechless, are we? Let's see. Baby, honey, sweetheart, my love? Are any of those better?" It's clear he knows what he's doing to me and he wants to capitalize on it. "Do any of those make me seem like a douchebag too?"

Somehow, with a collection of like 20 words, mixed with his deep voice, perfect scent, and clothingless torso, he's managed to have me nearly dropping dead.

He moves a strand of hair from my face and tucks it behind my ear. His deep green eyes stare back at me, only now they're filled with confidence and dominance, knowing the control he has over me in this moment.

"I'm still waiting for an answer, Laney. I've got to have an answer," Sterling speaks in a demanding yet still gentle tone. 

"What for?" I manage to squeak out, still in a sort of daze.

"You never know, I like to be prepared."

Not knowing what to choose, I decide against it entirely. I take a deep breath, needing to regain some of the control he's taken from this situation. "You should go, darling." I stand up straight and back away slightly. "The team is waiting for you. We wouldn't want you to be late now would we?"

Not giving him a chance to reply, I kiss him on the cheek and wish him good luck — knowing I can never forget to do this again — and knock on the locker room door. A few seconds later it opens and Daisy comes out. Just as we're about to find some seats for ourselves, we see the other team arrive. We watch as the group of men make their way to their own locker room, suits on and bags over their shoulders.

One player stops in his tracks when I accidentally meet his eyes. Letting the rest of his team walk ahead, he makes his way over to me.

"Hey, I'm Justin," he addresses me and I want to roll my eyes. He's averagely attractive with blonde hair and a hook shaped nose. His build is smaller and shorter than Sterling's and —maybe it's just me —but his head is weirdly disproportionate to the rest of his body.

"Hi," I deliver awkwardly and Sterling scowls at the interaction. 

"Oh sorry, are you with her?" The guy asks Sterling who looks beyond unhappy.

I look up at Sterling who looks down at me. The two of us share a silent question, both wondering what the answer is. Reading him as best I can, I try to figure out what he wants to respond with.

While on the surface his face shows little to no emotion, I look into his eyes and they tell me he wants to say yes.

"I'm going to take that silence as a no," Justin jumps to his own conclusions. "Why don't you give me your number then," he pauses for me to tell him my name but I don't want to.

I don't want him.

I want–

"Oh, c'mon, why not?" he takes a step closer to me, cutting off my thoughts.

This sets Sterling off, "I'd back away right now if I were you, buddy."

"And why's that?" Justin tries to look intimidating but utterly fails.

Daisy takes the lead on this one. "I would listen to him if I were you."

"No, I want to hear it from him, why should I?" Justin's misplaced confidence makes me roll my eyes.

"Because he'll kill you if you lay a hand on me," I finish what I know Sterling was about to say. "And she'll help hide the body," I point to Daisy who looks equally as fed up with this guy as Sterling does.

"Fine, bitch," Justin mutters as he walks away.

"Excuse me?" Sterling goes after him but I pull him back.

"Sterling, it's fine. No fighting, remember? And you have a game to get going to anyways."

"Fine" He rolls his eyes and digs his nails into his palm — a habit I've seen him do when he gets mad — in attempts to satisfy his itch to punch Justin.

"Yeah, okay. Bye, Laney." he pulls the door open. "Bye, Daisy." Sterling disappears into the locker room.

"That was about to be quite a scene, for you two friends. The hold you have in him is applause worthy. There is not one person in this world, except Charlotte, that he would listen to about that." 

I roll my eyes at her words and just drag her to the stands, not saying anything else.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

Everyone else joined me and Daisy about 20 minutes ago, just before the game started. So far our team is winning by 1 and the guys look great out there.

I look to my left and see Jemma and Chase, laughing and smiling, hands clasped together. It's definitely a sight I'm going to have to get used to, but I'm happy for them. From what I've seen since they got back together, they are a great couple.

After Jemma and I made up, the three of us went to dinner. We talked things over and I was able to wrap my head around the whole thing. I've forgiven the both of them, obviously, because I think I get it. It's hard to tell someone you're so close to something when you don't know how they'll react. Especially when it's about something you're still trying to figure out yourself.

However, that's not to say I don't hate when they get all mushy together in front of me. I don't think I will ever get used to the two of them making out near me or god forbid overhear them have sex, which thankfully hasn't happened so far.

They've also told mom and dad who are over the moon about it by the way. I'm pretty sure mom has already started planning the wedding and dad making their future child's toys.

I watch Sterling skate across the ice and beside him, Luke does the same. A player on the team, #4, bodychecks Luke into the boards and I wince at the contact. Luke gets up quickly and seemingly unfazed, Sterling, on the other hand, not so much. He skates over and defends his best friend, knocking the player's body to the floor.

Daisy looks at me with wide eyes and I realize what's going on. Player #4, aka Justin, the guy who hit on me before the game. While Sterling was being the overly protective captain, I know that most of his anger is coming from before the game even started.

Of course he couldn't let it go. He had to have the last laugh.

"That's what you get for hitting on Dell," Daisy mutters under her breath, slightly laughing and I send her a sarcastic smile in return.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

We won the game.

Thank god, because I don't think I could take losing to that dickhead.

Jeremy or Jason. Something like that.

The girls decided they were all too tired to come out and celebrate with us, so they went home. I gave Laney a quick hug and said goodnight to her before I had to shower and change.

We decided on going to a bar close to the rink for tonight's celebration. It's pretty old and run down so no one knows about it, which means it's almost always empty. Despite the fact that I don't drink, I actually really love it here. The owner knows us pretty well by now and it's a nice place to just get away.

Mason and Theo are talking with a couple beers in hand, and Luke and Owen are two seconds from poking someone's eye out while playing darts.

"So how are you and Jemma doing?" I ask Chase who decided on coming out with us tonight.

"Things are going pretty well, man. Thank you by the way, for letting Dell stay with you while she dealt with it all."

"Of course. She's always welcome at my place."

"Mhm," he takes a sip of his beer to stop a smile from surfacing. "Alright, I have to ask, what is going on with you two? Do I need to have that protective brother conversation with you yet?"

I almost choke on my water. "No need. We're, uh– well, we're just friends."

"Jesus, Blake. At least make it sound believable." Chase just shakes his head.

"Well, it's the truth." I shrug my shoulders as I grow more uncomfortable with this conversation. I don't even know what's going on with us and I don't need her brother to be the first one I have this talk with.

Seeing her tonight in the same place we almost kissed felt like torture. After the day I took her skating, the two of us basically ignored what had happened. Of course I was still thinking about it, but I acted like I wasn't. I tell myself I don't know what I want but I think at this point it's fairly obvious.

Her.

I want her.

Watching jack, or Jasper — whatever that dickface's name is — hit on her tonight proved that. I can't handle watching other guys hit on her. The thought of her being with someone else makes me want to shove my first into the wall, to put it kindly.

"Whatever, I'll ask the same question again in a few weeks. But for now, thank you for being such a good, friend, to Delaney. I mean you're an older brother so you get the constant worrying, but knowing you have her back, that eases my mind a little bit."

"It's my pleasure, Chase, really." 

After a couple more drinks for everyone but me, we decide it's getting late and time to head home. Chase drives back to his place and I drive me and the other guys to our place.

I get ready for bed text and Charlotte a message for when she wakes up to my dad's phone. I take my shirt off — because I overheat at night and hate sleeping in one — and throw some pyjama pants on.

Not being able to fall asleep, I go back on my phone and notice a text from Laney that she sent earlier tonight, "Good job out there #6, congrats again on the win. Tell the boys I say good job."

I smile down at the message and decide to reply. Knowing she always has her phone on do not disturb past 10:00 PM, I don't worry about waking her. "Thanks, Laney, but that was all you and your good luck kiss. And you tell the boys yourself, they don't need any flattery coming out of my mouth."

Just as I'm about to shut my phone off and try to fall back asleep, she replies back to my text. "Alright, fine. I'll tell them myself tomorrow."

While her message seems relatively normal, I know something is up. I check the time; 2:13 AM. She is never awake this late, not unless something is wrong.

Not even bothering to text and wait for a response that probably won't be totally truthful anyways, I call her.

"Hello?" her voice is quiet on the other end.

"Laney, what's wrong?"

"What?" she denies and avoids my question.

"I know you, and I know you wouldn't be awake unless there was a problem. So, what is it?"

"It's nothing."

"You're lying." I can see through her so easily.

"How do you know that?"

"Because, like I said, I know you. Now please, tell me what's wrong."

"It's stupid."

"Laney," I warn.

"I don't know, I'm anxious and I can't sleep."

"I'll be right there, do you want me to stay on while I drive over?" I throw on a hoodie and get up to leave.

"Sterling you do not have to come over right now, it's the middle of the night."

"I told you I'd always be there for you. I couldn't sleep anyways."

"Ok, thank you," she sighs into the speaker.

"I'll see you in 10."

The car ride over is much quicker than usual given that the streets are empty at this time of night.

Laney opens the door before I can even knock, and I walk into her house.

"You know you really didn't have to do this, but thank you." She reaches up for a hug and I wrap my arms around her lower back.

"I wanted to, it's no a problem at all."

The two of us walk upstairs to her room and I take my hoodie off, instinctively handing it to her. She immediately smiles and pulls it onto her body.

"What do you need?" I ask her, my voice just above a whisper.

"Can you just sleep next to me?"

The corners of my lips tug upwards and I melt at her words, knowing my presence brings her some level of comfort.

"Of course," I whisper as I move under the covers and next to her. She immediately rolls onto her side, resting her head in the crook of my neck, and I wrap my arm around her lower back, resting my hand on her hip.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

AUTHOR'S NOTE

It's currently 2:00 AM, I have covid, and my dog is lying awkwardly between my legs, but I wanted to get this chapter written. It's definitely the longest one so far so I hope you all enjoyed it.

Question of the chapter: Do you guys like when I split a chapter into both their POV's?

  Please comment and vote on this chapter if you liked it!

Stay safe and healthy guys! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.5K 2.9K 43
All Rรฉmy Miller has ever known are lies until someone is able to give him the life changing truth. When studying at Harvard University, his path unex...
526K 11.4K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio ๐Ÿ’• The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
1M 49.3K 43
Eighteen-year-old Nat falls for five different boys during her first month at college, but never openly admits her crushes - until one night she drun...
Chasing You By Abbey

General Fiction

297K 10.2K 59
Lacey White does what she wants and when she wants to do it. Although, her tactics may have gotten her into some trouble last year when she decided t...