How to Date an Asshole

By AlanisKorali

Like most people, Lauren had a big crush on a celebrity when she was a teenager. Unlike most people, she met... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue

Chapter 61

3.9K 206 4
By AlanisKorali

Chapter 61

My phone lighted up beside me as it buzzed nonstop with each new message.

I groaned as I brought my face away from the pillow to see the messages, but before I even get to see them, the phone vibrated displaying 'Hailey' on the caller ID.

"Hey, sorry, I fell asleep. What's up?" I answered.

"I've been calling you for the last twenty minutes. You wouldn't want to know what I had to do to get your room number."

"What?"

I put her on loudspeaker and checked her messages.

Hailey: Laure, where are you? I thought we're going to meet at the salon?

Hailey: Laure, answer the phone, please.

Hailey: I can't have my nails done alone. Please pick up.

Hailey: Alright, I'm going to your hotel.

Hailey: What was your room number again?

Hailey: They won't let me know your room number!

Hailey: Was it under Axel's name?

A few knocks next door caught my attention.

"Come on, it's me. Open the door."

"What?" I muttered to myself.

"Are you still asleep, Laure? It's me, open the door."

Fuck. I got up to my feet and knocked on the door to Axel's room. We got an adjoining room in case of emergencies. I didn't think this would happen.

"Give me a second," I pressed on mute and knocked again. Come on, Axel, open up.

"Lauren! We haven't got all day."

My eyes widened and knocked again; this time more urgent.

"What's the problem?" he opened the door with only a towel hanging dangerously low on his waist. His abs were well-defined, noticeably more visible than the last time I saw them when I had to dress him up for the fashion show. "Lauren, I know you're stunned, but you have to speak. What happened? Are you alright?"

"Lauren, don't make me break this door down." Hailey's voice came out in a sing-song.

We both glanced at the main door, "Shit, is that?"

"Yeah," I said then we looked at each other. We're screwed, my things aren't here. "Get dressed, I'm gonna move my suitcase here."

He nodded determined then shouted, "Give us a second, Hailey, we're getting dressed!"

"What the fuck?" I gave him the death glare.

"That's our only excuse," he pointed out then ran back to the bathroom while I go back to my room to get my stuff. When I got back, he has a shirt and some sweatpants on, water still dripping at the ends of his hair.

He was about to open the door when I got a towel and ran to him, "Wait," I rubbed the towel on his head to dry his hair. "You might catch a cold."

"Oh," I saw his throat bob up and down. "Thanks," then he opened the door.

Hailey dropped the call, "Took you long enough," then she inhaled sharply, "Is that what you're wearing?"

"Uh..." I looked down at my clothes - just a simple shirt with my old Phys ed jogging pants from college. "No, I'm just about to change."

"Well, you caught us off-guard so we had to pick whatever's on top of the suitcase," Axel answered. My eyes squinted at him for a split second then smiled at Hailey.

She considered it for a second, but then shrugged dismissing whatever thought she was pondering on, "Okay, well, wear that dress I asked for you to pack. You packed it, didn't you?"

"Yeah," I tried to recall the contents of my suitcase. "I'm pretty sure I did."

"Alright, well, change into that because I saw Becky inside the salon and we cannot show up looking shabby."

"Becky's there?"

"Yeah," her voice was breathy as if she was holding on to her last string of patience. "So, I'll wait for you at the lobby then let's go, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah."

She went to the hallway and warned, "Timing you fifteen minutes."

"Okay, okay!" I replied and closed the door. "Phew, that was close."

"Who's Becky?" he leaned at the wall.

"Oh, she's just a mean girl from our High School," I went over to grab my suitcase. "Made our lives a living hell."

"Hm?"

"Yeah, don't think about it too much. Ancient history."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm telling you, James, let it go." I entered my room and changed into the dress that Hailey gave me. It was a powder blue wrap dress adorned with white lace at the hem. It looks great, but it also looks like it's from a spring collection – not really in theme with the current season – so, I grabbed the only trench coat I brought for this trip and put it on to give me some warmth in this weather.

I knocked on our adjoining door twice, "I'm heading out!"

He opened the door, "Oh, wow. You look nice."

"Well, I guess I have to." My lips pursed, "Because of some high school drama that Hailey never seemed to have gotten over. Anyway, I'll meet you back here to pick you up for the dinner later."

"Oh, wow, you'll pick me up," he blinked a few times. "How long will you take? At the salon, I mean."

"I take it maybe two, three hours? Wear something nice, but not very formal. I'm just going like this. We'll have dinner with my parents."

"Ooooh," he rubbed his hands together. "I guess it's my time to meet the parents."

"Yeah, well, just be on your best behavior, alright?" I checked the time, "Hey, I've really got to go, or else Hailey will come back here." I headed for the door.

"Alright, I'll be waiting for you."

I chuckled at his remark, "Bizarre, isn't it?"

"Yeah, well, take care."

"Thanks!" I sang as the door closed behind me.

*       * *

Sure enough, when we got inside the salon, Becky was there. Laughing her heart out with the helmet-looking machine on her head and a lady working on her toenails. Her laughs were cut off with an "Ow!" Throwing glares at the lady, she scolded, "Watch it!"

We tried our best to keep away from Becky. She hasn't changed. I mean, she has physically – her body's no longer that of a preppy cheerleader with little to no percentage of body fat – but the way she conducts herself? Basically, the same as ten years ago.

"Look at her," Hailey spatted distastefully, her head shaking from left to right. "Still a fucking bimbo."

"Hales!"

"What? Big bazonkers, head empty."

"I am so sorry," I apologized to the lady working on my nails.

She just chuckled, "It's alright, we're used to her."

"Used to her?" Hailey asked. "How often does she go here?"

"Maybe twice or thrice a month?"

"Oh, wow, a regular," I commented. "That's nice."

The manicurist just smiled at us. My eyes, then, flitted back to the boisterous Becky and her preppy spirit and judge-y soul.

Our manicures were almost done, just a few seconds shy of the gel curing under UV light when Becky stopped in surprise as she passed by us, "Oh my Gosh, Hazel and Lorna! I haven't seen you in like forever!"

Hailey's lips curved upwards slightly in disgust but she managed to keep her composure, "It's actually Hailey and Lauren."

"Oh, right, right! I'm so sorry. So, how are you doing? Me, I'm still dating Brad, remember him? Captain of the football team? Yeah, well, look!" she flashed her ring to us. "He proposed!"

"Oh, wow, congratulations," I said but Hailey gave me a disapproving look.

"Well, aren't you gonna ask how he proposed?" she sat on my left.

Hailey whispered in my ear, "Do not encourage her."

I smiled at Becky, not saying anything, but her eyes glimmered with excitement, "Okay! I'm gonna tell you. He ordered the same milkshake at the same restaurant at the same booth! Just like our first date. And when the waitress gave me the drink, the ring was around the straw, just sitting on top of the whipped cream. Oh," she brought her hand to her mouth and then wiped a single tear. "Isn't it romantic?"

"It sure is," I nodded.

"How about you? Are you dating anyone?" My mouth opened to say something but spoke yet again, "Or, oh my God, don't tell me you're still hung up on that guy from that TV show. What's it called again?" She snapped trying to recall. "Oh, whatever, but that guy you had a poster of in your locker. Who was it? Oh, Axel James, right?"

Hailey guffawed from laughter, "I totally forgot about that." Shit. She turned to me, "You had a poster of him."

"Yeah, well, I was sixteen, I had a lot of regrets about that."

"Oh, don't worry, Lorna, it was cute. I take it your standards in guys are more realistic now? I mean, considering..."

"Considering what?"

"Well, you know, we're not getting any younger, the big fishes in the sea are most likely caught now. And, no offense, but the type of guys you like are a little bit out of your league."

Hailey scoffed beside me, "I'd have you know-"

I held her back with my arm, "You're absolutely right, Becky. Thanks for the advice."

"Awe, you're most welcome." She smiled pursed then a lady called her to finish her hair. "Have to go back, ladies. Toodles!"

Hailey waved back sarcastically as Becky turned her back and said "Toodles!" in a mocking tone then rolled her eyes once Becky was out of sight. "Sorry, I'm just gonna make a quick phone call," she said to the manicurist then turned to me, "Give me a sec." then rushed to go outside.

"So, how long could the gels last?" I asked the woman working on my nails.

"About two to three weeks."

"Oh, nice."

Hailey came back with a suspiciously satisfied smile.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like a cat who just ate the whole tuna can for dinner."

"I am not!"

"Are too."

"Oh, pish-posh," she sat next to me.

I angled my head at her in surprise, "Pish-posh? When did you become so fancy?"

She groaned, "Just don't mind me, okay?"

A little while later, our nails and hair repair treatment were done. I grabbed my bag beside me and stood from the sofa in the waiting area when I saw Becky's mouth form a big O, looking like she was about to pass out of convulsion.

"Oh my God," she mouther, her grip on the seat tightened.

I followed her gaze and saw Axel taking long strides towards me, eyes focused on a target. "Hey, babe," He gave me a peck on the lips as if he does it on the regular then snaked his arms around my shoulders. I was rooted to the floor, stunned as his eyes traveled from my lips to my eyes. "Ready to go?"

All I could do was nod and let him lead me towards the exit.

"Wha? What?" I could hear Becky protest behind me.

As we reached the sidewalk, I came back to my senses and shake my shoulders to free myself from his grip, only he tightened his hold on me that we almost toppled over the pavement. He glanced at Hailey, reminding me that we are not alone. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Doing a public service," he said proudly. "You're welcome," he kissed the top of my head.

I came to a realization and moved my head toward Hailey, "You!"

"Me?"

"You asked him to come here."

"I did not!"

"Yeah, she did," Axel moved behind me and hugged me by my shoulders, his chin resting on the top of my head.

I raised a brow at Hailey.

"Thanks a lot, Axel," she replied.

I removed Axel's arms from me but he got a hold of my hand immediately and intertwined our fingers. I glanced at him; his jaw ticked holding back a smile. I shook my head lightly then glanced at my wristwatch. Thirty minutes past six. "I guess we're going to dinner now?"

"Great, let's go."

"Since Axel's already here, is Josh meeting us here too?"

"Nah," Hailey replied. "He said he'll meet us at your parent's house."

"Oh, okay."

After about half an hour, Hailey and I stood at my parents' doorstep while we wait for Axel as he was settling the Uber ride here.

"All done?" I asked mindlessly when I felt him stand behind me.

"Yeah," his voice was breathy and the uncertainty in his demeanor gave away the anxiety he tried so hard to keep inside. This may as well be the first time I've seen him this nervous. Not when he was about to walk on the runway, not when he was talking to someone undoubtedly respectable, not when he was facing unsolicited judgment and lashings from anyone. His chest rose and fell as he took a deep breath. I grab his hand and squeezed. His attention was quick to move to our joined hands and then to me. I offered a smile, indicating everything will be alright and he gave a decisive nod.

"We're here!" Hailey called out as we entered the house.

Here we go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 531 34
The hottest woman I've ever seen thinks I'm a player who's snacked my way through one too many females. Ever since I met Char, the control freak mana...
8.4M 229K 61
Warning this book is rough. Not edited. We wanted privacy. We wanted a normal relationship with no high expectations. But that's hard when you have...
301K 9.9K 52
[✅ ⚠️]- Book 1️⃣ "I want to fuck you. Not kiss, fuck. So hard, your echoes would be louder than the noises from the party." ...
159K 3.1K 54
Previously known as The Accident --------- She is beautiful. So fucking beautiful. She is a star and I would become an astronomer for her and I woul...