Limitless

By xdRemix

I would like to take this more seriously than others. Many leave in the relationship dynamics and the ecchi s... More

The Reflexes of Lightning
The Resolve of Blizzard
Occupied
Inferno
Battle of Rages
Reaching Absolute Zero
Equals
Differing Caliburs
Wrath
Path to the Summit

The Flame of Ambition

516 10 3
By xdRemix

A lone teen was sitting against a hill with a boredom filled within his dull brown eyes. His gaze was far beyond the visible plane of existence he resided in, and his mind just as far gone.

His daydreaming brought about the attention of a male trio infamous for their perverted shenanigans.

"What's up with that guy?" A brunette with a red tee on under his uniform asked.

"I dunno. You should ask him." A teen with a shaved head said with a nudge. "Why bug the guy... he already seems out of it." A guy with short black hair and glasses responded.

Said daydreamer glanced over at the trio as they debated speaking to him, but in the midst of their argument, he began to look elsewhere since he was pulled out of his conceptualization.

The brightest color he caught sight of, was the mesmerizing red hair of a girl standing at the window of the school. Her gaze was cold, but it also seemed analytic- judgmental in a way.

Shifting his body from his lax state, the boy shook the grass out of his hair, and hummed to himself, the indifference in his expression as he squinted his eyes for a better view simultaneously caught the girl's attention.

She placed her head in her palm as she looked back at him, and the two locked eyes.

"Woah! This guy... he's threat!" The guy with glasses shouted. "He's got THE Rias Gremory locked on him!"

"This bastard... the aloof act is too strong!" The brunette whined. "He's got the most wanted girl in school googling at him."

"Well... I wouldn't say that. This feels like a staring contest."

And that it was, in a sense.

The boy hadn't looked away because she didn't.

She didn't look away because he didn't.

The two awkwardly continued to leer at each other, before the bald guy finally said something to snap him out of the trance.

"Hey, man, quit hogging the hunnies!"

The boy finally blinked, and gazed around, seeing that now everyone was looking at him since they noticed Rias staring at him. The girls were whispering and gossiping about as to why the most popular girl would look at him- but the guys.

They looked livid the school's biggest background character suddenly caught the gaze of their beloved queen(male-proclaimed).

The boy quickly stood up from the attention, and lightly jogged away to avoid the noise, making Rias snicker in amusement.

She turned away from the window, and left, as did our protagonist...

The same dull boy was now sitting in class, awaiting the last bell for dismissal. He was lazily hanging his head over his desk as the teacher wrapped up their lecture, and the long hours of education was taking its toll.

The name on the paper in front of him, was neatly printed.

Why mentioned?

Because the brunette from the trio before read it out loud.

"Amano Kota?" The boy asked.

"That's me." Amano replied. He looked up and saw the brunette was eyeing him with blatant skepticism.

"I see. Seems it was a fluke. All the girls are off you. Name's Issei Hyoudo. Any loner is a friend of mine," He greeted while extending his hand.

Amano shook his hand, nodding despite the indifference of their friendship. The bell rang at last, and the two parted ways shortly after the encounter. The same thought ran through the two's minds.

'What a weird guy.'

~•~

Alas, the weekend arrived, and just as soon, it was almost over. It was a Sunday evening, the sun was setting, and Amano was unfortunately out getting snacks from his local convenience store.

Oh, how truly unfortunate.

To spend 3 dollars on a bag of chips only filled half way.

Despicable...

Oh, and to also encounter a supernatural murder.

Amano dropped his bags in shock as a vibrant pink spear was lodged into someone's stomach in the park he was cutting through.

The sound of the plastic bags hitting the brick tiles caught the attention of the assailant. Amano flinched seeing the flutter of massive black angel wings, and a purple glint appear in the hand at its side.

By chance alone, Amano stumbled back and dodged a sudden spear thrown right where he previously stood, impaling his snacks and making them splatter every where.

With that, a smokescreen kicked up, giving him ample time to run away as the dust and crumbs from all the chips distorted his figure too much for the fallen angel.

However, despite escaping the park, Amano's panicked breathing was silenced by a yellow spear being thrusted into his stomach by a man in a trench coat and fedora.

Amano looked up as if he hadn't been stabbed, and in a sudden rage slammed his fist into the man's face, knocking off his fedora.

"Feisty..." the man chuckled, grabbing the spear and slashing it outward, completely rupturing Amano's stomach.

Losing his balance from the blood loss, Amano almost faltered and fell over, but his feet supported his tenacity, and he stood up despite having a ginormous whole in his torso.

"Wow... weren't you a figh-?!" The man was shocked as Amano lunged his sluggish body forward for a punch.

He easily stepped out of the way, and expected him to finally fall, but using his unbalanced momentum, he threw another sluggish haymaker, which the man decided to simply take to his shoulder.

"Commendable. But... die." He kicked Amano back towards the park, sending him rolling into the fountain, and his head crash against it.

With his consciousness wavering, Amano grit his teeth as he thought about what happened.

'What... the fuck just happened...?' He wondered.

'Why am I dying?' He tried to stand up, but the blood gushing out of him began to finally take its toll and make his eyes flutter.

'Why me? Why do they have the right to kill me?' He wondered.

These weren't very normal last thoughts. It wasn't arrogance, it was annoyance, and down right rage that someone would take his life. He wanted to do so much more in life, yet here they went, casting all that away and sending him to the afterlife.

'Why the hell do the have the... right...?'

Amano's last thoughts:

'I...want to live...'

Almost as if in response to these thoughts, a saving grace arrived. However, not as intended. A red summoning circle appeared on the other side of the fountain, where Issei used to be.

Materializing from the portal, Rias Gregory saw the blood from Issei's 'death,' and clicked her tongue.

"We were too late Akeno..." Rias said with scowl, the anger on her face making said companion shocked.

"I guess his mind was on other things... but, who summoned you then?" Another girl, Akeno, asked with curiosity. Her long black hair was tied into a high ponytail, and she plucked her bangs as she and Rias looked around.

Following the distinct smell of much more fresh blood, they saw a trail from the street leading to the other side of the fountain, where Amano was clinging to his life with all he could.

The occasional twitch of his fingers was all the fight he had left.

"It seems they found themselves a witness. How unfortunate." Akeno sighed. "That's the other boy you asked about, right? Amano Kota?"

"Indeed. He amused me, but that was all. He doesn't have much potential unlike Hyoudo. It was simply curiosity." Rias admit.

"Shall we depart?" Akeno asked, seeing as she sounded done with the debacle.

"No. Returning empty handed isn't my thing... we could always use someone to maintain the club room." Rias sighed, before standing in front of Amano.

"Poor soul... you will now," She crouched down and reached for his face, "live your life for me."

A red light enveloped him, but right before it did, those words irked him enough to make his dull eyes glare forward with hatred, shocking Rias as he was converted.

~•~

Amano was confused.

He died.

He was sure of it.

He was more than elated to find out he was alive, but concerned to find that he was... alive.

He sat through his school day in silence. Not a word left his mouth, to where you would think he was mute. Not the slightest sound escaped his mouth as his brain racked its memories and attempted to put together pieces he wasn't sure went to the puzzle.

After school let out, Amano was quick to return to where he recalled dying.

It didn't even take two minutes for the flap of wings to reach his ears. Amano turned to the direction of the sound, but saw someone was approaching at high speeds, however was almost half a mile away.

'What the...?'

Their speed increased, and before he knew it, Amano had to leap away from the slash of a light spear.

Sliding on his feet, Amano was shocked at the sudden 'athletic prowess' he displayed. It was entirely unlike him.

With an unrelenting mindset, the same man in the trench coat flew back at him with a cold gaze.

"You should've stayed dead!" He shouted.

Amano's built up rage was boiling. He wasn't going to back down. It wasn't even a thought. With a sudden glare, he lunged at the man with gritted teeth, with every intention to meet him head on.

"And you messed with the wrong one, bastard!" His rage spoke.

As the two closed in, Amano pushed his open palm into the spear, letting it impale his hand and stayed locked in place as the two gained their footing.

With a gasp, the man in the trench coat tried to rip it out, but Amano threw a left hook to his chin, making him stumble back.

"What... the... fuc-" The man was punched again, and this time away from his spear.

He fell into a roll, and was shocked the someone so young fought so... reckless. Self-destructive even. He easily had the speed to dodge, but disregarded that and rather ensure his hits.

Despite the burning in his hand, Amano used his other and threw the spear, sprinting for the man with scowl.

Clicking his tongue in irritation, the man shouted as he summoned another spear and thrust it at him. Amano went for the same tactic again, and even with the same wounded hand.

Except this time, the spear was stopped my some sort of object beginning to come from Amano's hand.

A beige spike erupted from his opened palm, parrying the spear despite the force behind it. The man gasped again and tried to leap back, but once more Amano leapt after him and grabbed his collar, completely engrossed in harming the man.

With an almost unhinged yell, he slammed his palm into the man's collar bone, making him shout into agony, before elbowing Amano off, sending a spear after him with his free hand, the other holding his wound.

Amano looked up and ducked under the spear, but it grazed his back and caused his blazer to fly off.

'What the hell is this kid?! He acts like...'

Amano sprinted for the man again, his angry and sharp leer beginning to actually put fear into the fallen angel.

'An animal?!'

Amano grit his teeth as the spike in his hand completely erupted, turning into a nearly blunt short sword with a black handle and a basic steel hilt.

"What in the world are you?!" The man shouted as the two closed in on each other.

Amano held no reply but the swift inexperienced slash of his new sword, which gracefully struck before the spear, cutting the man in his shoulder and disabling his left arm.

The spear still hit Amano in his thigh, but again, only grazed it from his newfound speed.

Both leapt away, and they could tell the direction of the fight.

The man had a plan.

He snapped his fingers, and an array of pink, yellow, and blue light spears suddenly impaled Amano from all sides.

"We're putting you down like the mutt you are... fucking runt." The man said, spitting out blood from his own founds.

"Like... hell... y-you," Amano coughed up blood, and he wiped it off his mouth as a spark danced around his torso, the spears starting to produce steam.

He grabbed two and yanked them out, screaming out as he continued to remove each and every one with willpower the man had only ever heard of in bar stories.

Amano yelled as the spark burst into a red-orange flame, and shrouded him completely. Slowly but surely, his wounds were settled, and handled, all healed as minimally as possible for the time being.

"YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT!" Amano screamed, trembling with anger from within the flame, raising his sword.

The silhouette of someone so deranged sealed the deal for the image the man saw of him.

This thing is a threat.

He isn't sane.

Amano's wounds couldn't heal completely, and were only sealed by the cauterization from the flames.

The man shivered as Amano took a step forward, which even shocked those in hiding. After the big show of bravado, the main event had arrived.

A red summoning circle appeared behind Amano as the flames died down to a much smaller degree, a small crackle over his heart.

"It seems I stand corrected. I guess every devil has their worth." Rias said under her breath. At her sides, where Akeno, and another girl, Koneko, a first year with short white hair and petite frame.

"The house of Gremory...?! That explains the deranged freak. Time to bail." The man coughed, spitting out more blood before he began to fly away.

Amano was about to sprint after him, but suddenly stumbled on his feet and passed out, slamming his face into the pavement.

"Ouch." Koneko commented, as stoic as ever.

"He seems to have held his own quite fine. Save for the... oh. Never mind. That's permanent damage." Akeno said with a nervous smile.

"Unfortunately. I guess it was his way to keep going. The least I can do is return him home safely, and ensure he heals as best as possible." Rias said with a blank stare at his unconscious figure.

'That was nothing to gawk about. His strength is standard, his speed is standard. He caught the fallen angel off guard at best. The only thing of note is the flame that... 'healed' him. What was that...?' Rias wondered.

The others teleported away as Rias scooped up the boy in her arms, soon teleporting herself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 164 12
A young boy by the name of Y/N L/N lives a rather quiet life until one day he meets a mysterious but kind woman and ever since his life seemed to cha...
9.8K 204 16
I don't own any characters from highschool DXD.
20.8K 356 7
Y/n L/n was powerless. As a member of a noble devil family, that made him an outcast. His family mocked him, spat on him, tormented him, all because...