Sparks Fly | ✓

By gracaxcix

Hendrichs is an egotistical man hiring a skilled mechanic for his automotive shop, more specifically a male m... More

0:00
0:01
0:02
0:03
0:04
0:05
0:06
0:07
0:08
0:09
0:10
0:11
0:12
0:13
0:15
0:16
0:17
0:18
0:19
0:20
0:21
0:22
0:23
0:24
0:25
0:26
0:27
0:28
0:29
0:30
0:31
0:32
0:33
0:34
0:35
0:36
0:37
0:38
0:39
0:40
0:41
0:42
0:43
0:44
0:45
0:46
0:47
0:48
0:49
0:50
0:51
0:52
0:53
0:54
0:55
0:56
0:57
0:58
0:59
0:60
spin-off

0:14

7.3K 584 141
By gracaxcix

He noticed her enter his office from the corner of his eye, henceforth lifting a finger up, letting her know he would be with her shortly. He was currently on an unplanned call with his father, doing what his father liked to call checking in.

“Otherwise, how's the business holding up?" his father asked, tone very monotonous as always. You never knew whether he was happy or not, except on rare occasions.

"Making big profits, like it usually does," Hendrichs nodded, as though his father could see him. He sat very still, as though at attention. Something he subconsciously did when he spoke to his dad.

"Good to hear. You're to come for dinner on Sunday, you and your sister –around six thirty. Don't be late, your mother would be hurt by that," he commanded, like he usually did, without giving him a say. Or even a chance to say he had other plans.

"We'll be there." he simply responded, knowing if he said anything else –it would simply start an unnecessary argument, and he didn't want to get to that. Especially with Shane noticeably standing at the door awkwardly.

"Wasn't a request either, so be there young man," he spoke so sternly, Hendrichs almost rolled his eyes. He was being unnecessarily extra in his eyes, but who would dare tell him that.

"I said we'll be there. Tell mom I send my greetings, good day sir," Hendrichs spoke in conclusion –trying to conclude the call. He did not want to spend the rest of the day in a bad mood, and he could definitely feel himself on his way there.

"Good day son," he spoke in response before ending the call. Hendrichs mentally let out a small breath of relief. Looking at the wall, to refocus his mind.

He needed to be level headed to have a proper meeting with Shane. Take two of their initially failed one in his books.

"Take a seat," his eyes temporarily met hers as he directed her to the chair in front of his desk with his hand. His favorite suspenders held onto his shoulders tightly as he took a seat in his plush leather office chair.

Shane remained quiet, as she observed his energy as well, trying to see where he was headed with this impromptu meeting.

After their 'circle of love' meeting, he had called Michael in - reprimanding him for his words towards Annalise.

He reminded him of the contract he had further signed after the whole ordeal with his sister. And that as much as this was a free space, a place of family, he still had to respect the fact that this was a workplace. And within a workplace, professional relationships should be maintained. Hence boundaries are a thing in this world.

Once all was hushed out, he asked Michael to call in Shane after ten minutes so he could take his father's call. Hence they were both seated, divided by a table –their complete attention on each other.

"Listen, I called you in so we could have a proper conversation. Last time, it really didn't go so well. Respect was lost on both ends I'd like to believe –and trust me I wouldn't be admitting to that on any given day but this is my company we're talking about." he spoke eloquently, whilst leaning back against his chair.

"I'd like to speak, then I'll give you moments to respond if you at all have a response. Well you always have one," he narrowed his eyes, and she gave off a small smile, rolling her eyes.

"But yes, we'll alternate in responses. Conflict resolution 101 is what they call it," he added, before sighing, briefly closing his eyes before reopening them.

"We are adults Shane, I'm freaking twenty-nine going on thirty –a business owner at that. You are what? Twenty-six, there is no reason for grown folks to be talking to each other out of the side of their necks in a workplace. Nor should we be wagering bets to see who comes out on top when it comes to business. Quite frankly, that's childish, and that's just the truth of the matter,"

"I'll put it in simple terms, so I don't run around in circles," he sighed yet again, running his hands over his face.

"I've always been someone who wants to have my own establishment, not work under someone so I could set my own rules for how I envision a business should run."

"I did that when I opened up Haines City. I see it as a machine, a beast running towards the running line. Whoever I feel is an essential part to making this a well-oiled machine, I add to it. What I feel like derails my machine, slows it down, I remove, and or rather don't add,"

"A well-oiled machine for me runs smoothly when I have a hand-selected group of men, as the core of that machine. Who are willing to put in the extra hours, not just in the workshop, but also in their fitness. A group of men coming from different backgrounds, with all their different problems, learning to grow in community whilst giving back to the community and making money,"

"This is not just some business for me Shane, but it's a platform to offer men who come from nothing to become something. It's a jungle, and you don't throw in a woman in a ring full of men and not expect chaos. Not only from the woman, but from the men,"

"It's like a group of lions, when a lioness comes into their circle –there's bound to be chaos."

"It's not that I don't believe women can't do what men do, especially when it comes to the physical jobs. No best believe they can do it, but probably not at the same level of excellence you'd get from a man."

"Can I speak?" Shane lifted up a finger, also wanting to share her thoughts.

"Hold on a bit, I'll let you speak," he answered politely which caught Shane by surprise.

"Take for example a firefighter, for sure there are female firefighters out there. However, they won't always be able to complete the same job a man is doing so efficiently. If I want to haul an unconscious person over my shoulder, I'll do it in a heartbeat. Whereas you as a woman would soon struggle, but still manage to complete the job somehow. Efficiently though? Probably not. No hate to yall at all,"

"There's a reason why they don't put women against men when competing at the Olympics during athletics. Men would have an unfair advantage,"

"My well-oiled machine is all about efficiency. And whilst I like your perseverance, I did not like being defied when I said no. I agree I could have been a lot nicer. Given some fake interview, and later sent a letter of regret, but I let my ego, my pride, and my temper get the best of me, and in the way of running a smooth business,"

"However, we cannot cry over spilt milk. I got into this bet, I signed a document. I however did not take the time to explain how things work in this establishment. Before I continue, if you want to speak, you can," he paused, giving her the floor as he felt like he had said quite a mouthful. He liked the pace of how things were going so far, he slowly felt like he was in control once again.

"Look, I get it. I bulldozed my way into your space. I don't know, it's just who I am. I create opportunities for myself where doors are closed. I'm not sorry about that, but I will apologize for disrespecting your position after signing the document. Just like I feel like you feed off someone's energy, I do the same too. Dish out disrespect, and you'll get it back twice over."

"I just feel though that most times men will undermine women, and yes there are times men will surely do a better job. However, women who have pushed themselves, or are willing to, can do it too. From what I'm hearing, I don't fit into your well-oiled machine," she shrugged, leaning back into her chair.

"At the core of it, not really, no. You haven't shown me anything at all. But I guess the next three weeks are in your court to prove me wrong. But like I said, I haven't run you through this place's organizational culture. So you know how to do everything the Haines City way, and why we do it like that,"

"I'm all ears," Shane raised her brow, ready to hear what he had to say.

"As you know, we cover your normal servicing of a car, the contract-based ones as well, repairs as well, that ranges from tire changes and fixtures, to panel beating and fixing cars damaged by an accident. Restoring them to perfection."

"We do After Store Upgrades and Refurbishments as well. Buying and Selling Cars, that really look next to brand new. That's Haines City from the outside looking in."

"From the inside, you wouldn't even think that," he paused, contemplating on whether he should tell her, or not. Looking at her face, which was actually neutral, showing signs that she was listening, he decided to go on further.

"This is shared in pure confidence, I trust you won't open your mouth about it, but, you probably don't even know that this business started with just three people. Logan, myself and Helena. Logan being my best friend, who simply put is the most creative person I know, artistry on one hundred, he had no sense for living. To go on any further."

"I took him in, taught him the art of loving a car, and channeled his talent there. With his happy go lucky self, you wouldn't even guess it."

"Michael was homeless." Hendrichs admitted, and Shane raised her brow in surprise because she would have never guessed it.

"He left home a teenager, and I found him at twenty-three, imagine how long he'd been there. Living on food he begged for from other strangers. Took him in, equipped him, now he's a beast when it comes to repairs."

"Amaru begged for a job, because no one would hire a college drop out, or convict, but he needed to make ends meet. I opened up my doors, and he's a beast when it comes to repairs as well."

"I won't even talk about myself, but we are a brotherhood more than we are coworkers. We run together, three times a week because we are on a journey together, not just of fitness, but also of controlling our inner demons,"

"We do games night once a week not because we don't have lives, but because we do life together, as the core team. We go deep, we are transparent about our struggles, we are accountable with each other because at the end of the day —Haines City is a family."

"And truly, I wanted to add another male into the group to replace our old member Xavian. But here came Shane," he locked eyes with her again, and he could tell that it finally clicked in her head why he was so hell bent on not letting her stay.

"Well, Shane isn't going anywhere. Even if Shane understands. However, I'll let you in onto something," she sighed, never breaking eye contact with him.

"I wasn't planning to stay forever Hendrichs. I'm a nomad, can't stay settled in one place for too long. I go where the wind takes me. My plan was one year, like always and I'd be gone,"

"So don't worry, when I prove that I can achieve the perfection and efficiency that you want, and I get that job. You only have to deal with me for eleven months, then I'm out. Then you can hire offbrand Tupac that you wanted to hire on that very first day we met,"

"Oh wow," he lightly smiled at her remark,

"And honestly, I just know that even though you wanna throw me out of this establishment, by the time December comes, yall won't want me to go," she shrugged, a smile resting on her face.

"And you're just so sure of that?" he laughed, honestly amused by her statement.

"I would say let's bet on it, but you said it's childish and I wouldn't want you to lose more money," she smirked, standing to her feet.

He laughed, standing to his feet too, "Don't provoke me into proving you wrong Shane. Or rather, flipping the tables on you." his smile immediately dropped, gone like the wind.

Their eyes locked yet again, silence engulfing them before Shane smiled, “Ouuwe, I like playing with fire. Don't do that."

She turned, walking towards the door, looking over her shoulder just before she opened the door, "Good meeting Mr. Hayes, see you outside,"

● ● ●

could this possibly be the end of Hendrichs and Shane's beef?

we got to experience this chapter more on Hendrichs pov, any thoughts on him?

on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do yall dislike him?

● ● ●

thank you for reading. do vote and comment.

till next time🦋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 6.1K 18
Kendall Clark is at the top of her game. She's one of the best black female Veterinarians in Los Angeles, California and everybody loves her. She's s...
3.2M 60.6K 84
HEA ✔ no OWD/cheating 7 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 7 𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 7 𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙝𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙙𝙤𝙯𝙚𝙣𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙜𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙛𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙨 𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙛𝙤𝙧...
1.4M 48.9K 52
| 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 | When two powerful figures collide, there is bound to be a disaster. Zane Roman, a business tycoon. St...
10.9K 261 23
𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄; 𝐌𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐨 𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞, 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫, 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫, 𝐨�...