Surviving As A Cannon Fodder

By akane_youkai

Being a normal college student, Eunseo was reincarnated into a book she barely remembers as a no-name canon f... More

CHAPTER 0
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
Part 2 Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Part 3 Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168

Chapter 150

4.3K 204 57
By akane_youkai

*click-clack* *click-clack* 

The mild sound of her heel hitting against the floor was heard with every step she took. They were steady and confident with no sense of fear or doubt.

Like a pale mist that clouds over the unknown, from the moment Angelica stepped in through the doors, there was a shift in the atmosphere. 

The aura around her had changed significantly compared to the morning hijinks after an unforgettable night of alcohol and music. 

Still, all she did was slowly walk towards me so...

'Why is my heart beating so fast?' I frowned, placing my hands on my abnormally beating heart.

As Angelica made her way towards me, there began an irking sensation in the back of my head that screamed whatever that was coming my way was not pleasant.

Certainly, it wasn't new for Angelica's mood to reflect the happenings of the day. When she left in the morning, her frame of mind was more or less on the dark side, with a bad case of hangover.

But this was different.

She was different.

Not playful, not angsty, or even angry. But a strange state of peace, almost a bit joyous.

Even though I couldn't see her, I knew there was an unusually happy smile plastered on her face as she looked down at my cursed being.

What was it that is going on her mind for such an odd reaction? I wondered, unable to make a guess. 

No matter how far-fetched of an idea it might seem, with Angelica, anything was within the realm of possibility. For all I could guess she might have even found a way to completely break the curse without the need for holy power, yet purposefully withheld the details just for the fun of it.

"Hmmm..." Angelica hummed with her intense gaze fixed on my face.

Then after a prolonged duration of uncomfortable silence, she walked over to the other side of the room. 

It was only then I was able to let go of the breath I had been unconsciously holding in.

Of course, Angelica wasn't aware of that. 

She casually opened the hidden safe, the insides of which were now an unrecognizable pile of documents and alike. The fortune within the vault may not have caught her fancy, but after nearly being caught red-handed, Angelica had hidden some of her own things inside of it so as to not catch the eyes of Herbie or Nathaniel.

It was resourceful and reckless at the same time. For in a different set of circumstances, it would've landed her in a lot of trouble.

With the Third Eye's blade in her hand, she traced her steps back only to momentarily stop in front of the side table to fetch a book before walking out of the room.

Up until the moment the doors closed, her sharp eyes were fixed on me as if there were anticipating a movement.

'Seriously? What has gotten into her?' The built-up tension caused my body to stiffen.

The book Angelica had taken with her was not an ordinary one but was just a casing for the dagger that was hidden inside of it.

It turns out everything was a misdirection when it came to my wife. Even the greatest showmen of Orion would pale in comparison to her.

A few minutes later Angelica returned empty-handed, after having seemingly destroyed the book the dagger was sent in.

With her leg positioned on the bed, Angelica skillfully armed herself as if she was going to war. But in fact, she was on the way to the Temple of Eir in order to collect holy artifacts to continue the blessing ceremony in the absence of the priests.

Although it was an overnight trip to the temple in the capital, owing to the recent assassination attempts, Angelica would be escorted by a squadron of Knights.

This raised the question, 'Why is she behaving like she is going away forever?'

Just from her prior actions, it was clear that she was disposing of evidence that could compromise the fake persona she had tenaciously maintained.  Since the book was a part of the items sent from her home, if found, the first place to be investigated would be the Ashford county. 

It was an act to protect her people. To cover up the loose ends and not leave a trail.

Earlier when the assassin sent by the Third Eye was captured, I was thoroughly briefed on the conditions of the estate, the current capital affairs, and the state of the war at the Frost Duchy by Nathaniel.

Compared to the bits and pieces of intel I collected through the conversations between the people visiting the room and Angelica's ranting, this was informative.

Hence I heard of Angelica's trip to the Temple even before she did. 

Even so, knowing that did not have me prepared for what I was about to learn. As that night would forever change my entire perspective of the world I've been living in so far.

"Hey there beautiful" Angelica's voice was sweeter than it had ever been, causing my body to tense up. 

"It's me, your short-term wife. I'm gonna monologue a bit so hear me through without any complaints"

She had taken a seat in front of me, with a smile I know was brighter than the setting sun. Like the sweet nectar that carnivorous plants produce to lure their prey into a trap before devouring it, it was a bad sign.

"I know I sound like someone who is not going to return..." Angelica said jokingly as if she had read my mind, before adding with a serious tone,

"Well....that's because it's true. I won't be coming back here ever again"

Won't be coming back again? The crease between my brows deepened at her peculiar choice of words.

Although her voice sounded sober, her statement made me doubt if this was another drunken escapade.

Moreover, even if she tried to escape en route to the temple, it would be difficult, especially with the Frost Knights watching her each and every move.

"I think I've already said this once but, in terms of your curse, you won't be able to get rid of 'Havu' until you purify your heart with holy power" Angelica let out a sigh.

"Only Helen Layton is capable of doing it. She's your future girlfriend by the way. And if my memory serves me right, it will take her around six or seven months to arrive at the capital"

If it had been someone else in my place, by now they would be convinced Angelica was looking into the future. The way she narrated them seemed as if she had read them in a book or something.

"Probably around the time her family goes bankrupt" 

However, considering the number of bad investments they have made over the years, I don't need to see the future to know of the Layton family going bankrupt.

"So sit tight. Your princess charming will appear to sweep you off your boots in no time"

Though it might look like I was being idle given my current state, I was etching each and every word she spoke in my mind. This way, when the time comes I would know exactly what to do and what not to do.

"You must be confused as to how I know this right?" Angelica jested, leaning forward until her lips were right next to my ears.

'!' 

Angelica might have said so in order to taunt me. But she was right.

I have been waiting to know how she knew of confidential information that even the central nobles in the capital cannot obtain.

Just how in the world a noble lady from the countryside could have found out about the secrets of the palace? How much could she possibly know?

The answer for that however was not what I had expected to hear.

"That's because I am not originally from this world"

'...'

"Surprise!"

'...'

"I know the future of this world to a certain extent"

Precognition, the innate ability to see into the future, was something that has been sought after for ages by people of power. It was one of the primary reasons that made the Church of Theodore as influential as it was today.

People born with the ability have existed in different time periods, in different lands with the first person dating back before the foundation of the Orion Empire.

Some conceal their ability in fear for their lives while others use it to gain money and power. However, the number of people with such power have dwindled over the years.

'But... not from this world?' I ran my fingers through my hair and leaned back on the soft sand.

I know I said any far-fetched idea was acceptable. But not this far.

"Trust me when I say this, it is not going to be all roses and unicorns"

Just when I thought Angelica was done, she raised the bar to the unexpected, yet again. 

"And your story begins with the death of your wife... Me"

As surprising as it was, Angelica was from another world, another time that was far away from my own. Somehow she had learned the events of this world in which she was coincidentally born into.

And the story of my life began with her death.

"Well... I'm supposed to but I'm not going to sacrifice myself for the likes of a total stranger..... especially you..." Angelica's voice faded as my mind plunged into chaos.

For centuries, it was the Saintess of Kal who had been the sole person recognized by the Church to hold the power of precognition in all of Elan. 

As per the records I uncovered in the imperial archives as a part of the investigations on the Saintess's disappearance, even that ability came with certain restrictions.

For one, the Saintess does not have a leash on who or what she sees. It might be a fraction of a person's life, a warning before a disaster, or even a sign of life and death.

In simple, it could be anything.

However, the most important of all was, no matter what the interference...

'What was meant to happen will happen'

And there's no point trying to stop it.

The last prophecy was recorded to be received by the Saintess four decades ago. It was a warning sent by the gods before a huge storm hit the capital that left massive destruction in its wake.

Still... What Angelica had just confessed to.... Is that even possible?

At this point, it would be a lie to say that I didn't consider Angelica to be crazy to some extent.

Whilst being a completely wild theory, it explained all the impossible claims Angelica had made including the one of her being 39-years-old when she had just come of age.

"So you can go... and screw yourself with Helen... I don't give a sh*t... do after I'm gone"

Judging from her attitude, she wasn't bluffing either.

'Maybe this was the reason why she was able to alter my curse?' I thought of the possibilities that arose if her confession was indeed the truth.

Because, in the end, everything circled back to the disappeared Saintess.

If not for her, none of this would have happened. Neither would I have fallen into a curse nor would have Angelica revealed her secrets.

We would've remained strangers as we always have been, in different sides of the world.

"And let's be honest, we never would have worked out anyway" Angelica's sudden declaration snapped me back to my senses.

"You are a manipulative, cold, calculative, obsessive......oh and not to mention a sick controlling b*stard"

The character assessment had quickly changed into a threat.

"And I'm not someone that YOU..." Angelica's finger pointed towards me.

"...can control like a puppet"

"I will skin you alive and hang you like a pinata" Angelica emphasized, making it known every bit of the threat could become reality if the line she had drawn were to be crossed.

This continued for a while as more revelations were made about the future. And the first among them was about the very organization that sent an assassin to kill her.

"The leader of that group is none other than your long-lost best friend..."

'Friend? My best friend?' I was confused. For as long as I could remember I was not acquainted with anyone to such a level.

But such a person being the leader of the Third Eye organization? Could it be? The image of a certain person popped into the back of my mind. 

"Second, make sure your lover doesn't come in contact with the Crown Prince of Velven"

'I think I have bigger things to worry about than a non-existent lover' I let out a dry laugh.

Besides, the Crown Prince of Velen, Anduin Tezlar Velven will be soon arranged to have a political marriage with Orion's only princess, Princess Vanessa Charlotte Orion as a means of improving diplomatic relations between the countries.

The announcement was delayed because of the news of the Saintess's pilgrimage catching the spotlight. So Velven's prince will be visiting Volos in the near future.

Helen Layton and the prince, huh?

"Third, DO NOT START A WAR. All of you male leads will be up for it since you are pathetic fools. But other people have actual lives to live"

'What?' My eyes widened at Angelica's statement. The last war that took place in Elan was the Calvan War between Velven and Orion. 

Wait. Was this why she told to keep away Helen Layton from meeting Velven's prince?

Before I could think further Angelica added,

"My family lives here and even if a single hair on their head is hurt......."

"I. Will. Hunt. You. Down" 

Angelica's finger grazed against my cheek with every word she registered.

" Ahhh....and before I forget......"

When it seemed like she was done talking, she stood up and dragged the chair behind her. The smile on her face has widened than before as she said,

"I have a parting gift for you"

Suddenly I felt a chill down my spine.

"Let's put a smile on that face....."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 5 19
A nigh-omnipotent god gets bored so he erases his memories, gives up his power and reincarnates as a normal human in a modern world, and then dies ag...
207 20 8
Eunice Louisiana Alvarez, a 20 year old girl who had no friends even though she was already in senior high school. Her classmates prefer her as the n...
479K 27.2K 59
She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind, wealth, and many other things, hence d...
162K 6.4K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...