A Shimmering Heartbreak

By Spyder27

After the events of A Dazzling World, Adagio Dazzle is struggling to keep her confidence up or to keep up app... More

Chapter I: New Beginnings
Chapter II: Starting Over
Chapter III: You're Still Desired
Chapter IV: Escalating Circumstances
Chapter 5 A New Adventure
Chapter VI: Six to Convince
Chapter VII: An Awesome Meeting
Chapter IX: New Threads
Chapter X: Last Minute Shenanigans
Chapter XI: A Safe Place
Chapter XII: Back to the Cave
Chapter XIII: Testing Your Hypothesis
Chapter XIV: White Lies and Solemn Truths
Chapter XV: Balloons are Meant to Pop
Chapter XVI: Always Together
Chapter XVII: Morning Delights
Chapter XVIII: Afternoon Surprises
Chapter XIX: Troubles Amid the Stars
Chapter XX: Still More Work to Do
Chapter XXI: A Step Forward
Chapter XXII: The Light of Life

Chapter VIII: The One I Love

34 1 0
By Spyder27

The end of a day brings about many things. Some people will say that the end of a day is the best part, finally being able to relax before the storm of tomorrow. In this case, Adagio believes in that, finally being able to spend the night with the love of her life before worrying about what tomorrow will bring~

DISCLAIMER: This story includes references to depression, depressing thoughts, insecurities, anxiety, self-harm and thoughts based around all of these concepts. If you do not want to read a story with slight references to these, I would urge you to click off.

Hello, everyone! Here's the fluffy chapter I've worked so hard on and I hope you all enjoy! I know I left off on a kind of big cliffhanger last time, so here is the resolution to it~ Anyway, enjoy the show and feel free to tell me what you think~ Once again, a HUGE thank you to my good friend Mon668 for beta reading this chapter and providing her feedback for the story~

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter VIII: The One I Love

My body isn't technically something to be admired... When I still had my magic and ego, that wasn't really the case. I believed the world was made to grovel and worship my every breathing moment. Perhaps I would have been right if I had just made a few less mistakes and actually won. But ever since I lost my powers, my body isn't that great of a sight. At least, I don't think so... I suppose one could think that I'm attractive, but every time I look in the god forsaken mirror, I sort of freeze up... What once was a powerful siren is now just a mortal woman, every last shred of dignity gone. The least I can do is try to hide myself more from everyone else. I suppose that's why I wear jeans and hoodies all the time. My body isn't beautiful...

A small part of me still believes my only value as a person was my power and beauty, but now both are gone from my own eyes. Looking into the mirror, it almost feels shameful to look at my bare body. I was once worth something... No, don't think that... I am still worth something, right? Just not in the same way I was back then... I'm worthy of love. I'm worthy of happiness. Right? I've tried so hard these past few months to turn it all around... And maybe it will all be worth it in the end. If I can just make things right with all of Sunset's friends, then Sunset can have a happy birthday...

The bigger problem, though, is the fact that Sunset is about to see this body for the first time... Why the hell did I agree to this? Just because Sunset loves me doesn't mean she will love this physical form of mine... Hell, she deserves a lot better. Something... nice to look at rather than something plain, boring and ugly. It all comes down to me. Why would she fall in love with someone like me, who can't give her what she deserves...

The sound of running water fills my ears, imitating the running thoughts throughout my mind. Steam clouds the mirror I look into easily, my gaze diverting to my body instead. I was confident in this skin before... Recently, it just feels gross to look at myself. Sunset deserves someone who can make her happy. Someone who is... pretty...

"Adagio? Are you coming?" Sunset's voice happily calls out to me from the shower, the falling water obscuring her sentence ever so slightly.

"Yeah..." My mouth can only really mouth the statement, slowly grabbing my clothes from the ground and putting them inside the hamper, a frown growing on my mouth. A thousand little thoughts chip at my mind, all of them related to the perception of my form. Sunset is a surprising person, so maybe she would actually like this... But my mind somehow doubts that. Bringing my hand to my eyes for a moment, I sigh to myself, thinking once more about what crazy thoughts convinced me to accept this offer. I wasn't ready to share my own body, yet here I am, wanting Sunset to be completely comfortable around me? What is the good of becoming a hypocrite...?

If I want Sunset to completely rely on me, I should be willing to completely rely on her... God, why can't I trust that she'll love me how I am? I'm always doubting our whole relationship as well... The reality I live in seems far more like a dream than an actual truth. Hell, I dreamt of this exact life multiple times when I tried to stay away from Sunset. I believed she deserved better, but in my effort to explain my own actions so that she wouldn't blame herself, I ended up making this life a reality. Somehow, Sunset fell in love with me too. I'm not sure why... Or how... But here we are, in a bathroom where we both intend to bathe together. Both of us love each other more each and every day, yet we still find ways to be nervous around each other. Perhaps it's because I admire her so much... Or the fact that she means so much to me that I instinctively want to impress her in any situation.

A small sigh exits my lips, knowing damn well that I've prolonged this for too long. I just have to hope that I'm wrong about my assumption of what Sunset will feel, seeing this body of mine. Bringing my hand to my forehead, I slowly rub away the migraine and place my hand on the shower door handle. "I'm coming in," I quietly say, just loud enough to be heard over the water. Pulling on the door's handle, I slowly step inside the shower, looking towards the floor instead of watching the person in front of me. Closing my eyes, I gently bite my lip, waiting to hear any sort of reaction out of the person I love. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm able to avoid the urge to let my eyes tear up, but I try to concentrate on my composure above all else.

The feel of Sunset's hand on my shoulder scares me at first, but I can once again feel the thoughts swarming my mind begin to fall away as she rubs gently, bringing me into her arms slowly. Despite the wet feeling of her skin, it's still warm nonetheless. All of this just increases the urge to cry even more, unsure of how I should feel. "It's alright~ You can open your eyes~" Sunset's soothing voice whispers into my ear as she holds me close to her, gently laying a kiss upon my cheek. Following her advice, my eyes slowly open, still not sure if I am ready to see Sunset's own reaction. Stepping back from our embrace, I slowly turn my gaze to the woman I love... Again, her eyes filled with the kindness she's shown me ever since we met. That warm smile is still present, always forcing its way into my thoughts. Her shoulders still look soft, yet firm, ready and able to carry something if she has to. In fact, that could be applied to all of her...

Just like her personality and actions, her body is... perfect. Beautiful is an understatement. This is the body Sunset is embarrassed about...? Honestly, it's ironic how much her personality reflects her appearance. Never wanting to take away the spotlight, yet she radiates the beauty of the world in her actions, never letting go of my attention. Looking back up at her eyes, I feel a bit embarrassed as I notice where her own attention is directed. Despite my depressing thoughts, a smile is present on Sunset's face, her eyes locking with mine once more. "Do you... like what you see...?" I am barely able to say, instantly averting my gaze towards the ground in an attempt to keep my composure intact.

Slowly, Sunset's hand reaches out and grabs mine, forcing my gaze to return to hers. "Why wouldn't I~?" she teases slightly, bringing me in for another hug. "You're perfect, Adagio~ In and out~ I will always mean that," she whispers slowly into my ear, kissing my cheek as gently as she can. "You're my everything, Adagio~ I will always love you. It's just a bonus that you're perfect on the outside as well~"

Returning the embrace, I sigh happily, breathing into Sunset's neck with a big smile on my face. "You're perfect too, Sunset~ I really mean it~" Bringing my hand to Sunset's cheek, I force her eyes to connect with mine once more, nothing but the sound of water being shared between us. "I... really love you, Sunset..." Without waiting for her response, my hand slowly brings her face closer to mine, shutting my eyes before our lips press together once more. Sunset pushes against me just as equally, bringing her hand to the back of my head, feeling my hair gently. Everything seems... right in the world. Whenever I kiss her, the world is suddenly okay... No matter what bad news may be keeping hold of my thoughts, being with Sunset always fixes my reality. I can't help but love this person who has always been there for me... This person who loves me unconditionally for no reason other than she wants to. What did I ever do to deserve her?

Sunset, breaking our embrace entirely too early, forces our eyes to meet once more, a giant smile written across her face from the kiss I initiated. "I really love you too, Adagio~" Gently, her hand reaches up and cups my cheek as her eyes become slightly more dreamy. "I can't wait to spend forever with you..." Instantly, my cheeks flush to her statement, causing both of us to look away in a flustered state. I can never get used to our lovey statements, even if I initiate them. "Anyway, mind if I wash your back, Alligator~?"

===============================================

The smell of pasta fills the air, bringing a smile to my lips. One could define it as the smell of our success, since we both made this together, but I probably caused it to take a lot longer with my questions. Sunset was able to find us both aprons for making this peculiar dish, but mine was just a plain checker pattern. Sunset's, on the other hand, had the phrase 'Kiss the Chef' written across it with a couple hearts dotted around her chest. Normally, I would just giggle at the statement, but tonight, I took advantage of it every few moments, causing a big blush to appear on Sunset's face when I did kiss her. Sunset has always been cute when she blushes~ Even when I didn't realize it...

"Hey, Adagio~ Look at this~" Sunset states to get my attention, my eyes turning to her as I wash out one of the measuring cups we used. Sunset, standing in front of the oven, giggles to herself as she carefully balances a spoon on her upper lip and beneath her nose, amused with her own action. The metal spoon looks similar to a mustache if it was metallic and reflective, causing me to laugh at the sight as well. "Am I a real chef now~?" Sunset tries to ask with a straight face through her own giggles, barely holding the spoon in place. Before I can try to answer her inquiry, the spoon falls from her lip, barely being caught by her hand before it has the chance of hitting the floor.

"Well, you're always making us the best food you can~" I state quietly with a smile, turning my attention back to the dish, scrubbing it gently. "So, I'd say you're the real chef here~ But preferably without the mustache." My response makes Sunset giggle to herself, walking over and hugging me from behind with a happy sigh exiting her lips.

"What? Are you saying I wouldn't look good with a mustache~?" Sunset teases me with a kiss on my cheek, holding me tightly as she giggles to herself.

"Well, let's just say I prefer you as you are now~" I slowly state, both of us sharing a small laugh ending in a content sigh, Sunset not letting go of me by even an inch. Even when I turn off the water from washing the measuring cup, Sunset doesn't loosen her grip, just happily sighing to herself. "Sunset? I'm done washing this thing now, so-"

"Just... a few more moments~" Sunset interrupts me, holding onto me as carefully as she can. A smile forms on my lips, closing my eyes to enjoy the moment as well, only the sounds of our breathing interrupting the silence in the warm room. That is until the damned oven starts beeping, making me jump slightly to the sound. Sunset sighs quietly, letting go of me to walk back towards the oven. Pulling some oven mitts on, she opens the cooking device quickly, grabbing the pan of lasagna as gently as she can and setting it on top of the oven with a smile. "It smells good~ I think we did a good job~" she quietly states with a wink before she gestures for me to grab a couple of plates. If you call a good job having to explain every step of the way to a dumb siren, then sure, we did a great job. It embarrasses me that I have such little experience cooking, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. Besides, it would be nice if I could make dinner for the both of us one of these days~ Grabbing the plates slowly, I place them on the counter next to the oven, looking at Sunset carefully cutting out a portion of the pasta.

Even now, Sunset looks just as elegant as the day I met her... Given, I didn't realize it back then, but Sunset hasn't changed since then. At least, not a lot. She still tackles every situation head on and with full confidence that if she tries her best, things will work out in the end. The cute smiles she gives always inspire me to do my best, just for her. Those eyes penetrate my soul no matter the circumstance, forcing their way through my tough layer. Her hand is always able to calm me down just by holding mine, being able to feel her warmth again and being reassured that she's always here for me. Even after dating the girl for a few months now, I can't answer why she is always so inspiring. I figured I would know everything there is to know about the girl by now, but I clearly haven't learned everything. Maybe it will always be a mystery why she's so kind to people. By all accounts, she has the right to be bitter and angry at the world, but instead, she takes her falls and incorporates them into her future, making sure she won't make the same mistake again and even being there for others when she can. Reason 57: her undying kindness and caring nature...

Sunset slowly sets the piece of lasagna onto the plate, smiling at me as she pulls off a piece with a fork and brings it closer to my mouth. "Would you like to be the taste tester~?" is all she says, her all too pure eyes reaching inside my soul once more. How in the hell can she stay this cute...? How can I say no when she does this to me...?

Slowly, I open my mouth and take the bite.

================================================

Our plates have long since been emptied, resting on the coffee table for the time being. The dark interior of our apartment is only lit up by the images on the screen of our TV, displaying the current movie Sunset chose for us to watch. Normally, a scene like this would be portrayed as cold in shows, but it's actually quite warm under the fuzzy blanket both Sunset and I share. Once again, her head rests on my shoulder with a happy sigh exiting her lips, both of us smiling at today's events. Things go up and down, but I know I will always have her~ She's always here for me, no matter how I do her wrong or what I screw up. I try to be here for her whenever she needs me as well, but sometimes it feels like I can't adequately do that.

No matter what happens, she's always strong enough to carry my problems. She promised to rely on me more as well, so hopefully I can return the favor soon. Whenever I think of her, it's hard to not smile. Even now, being able to sit with her and hold her hand, I still can't help but wish this moment never ends. She makes me feel like I'm living in a dream, reality be damned. None of the problems of the real world are allowed in our space during times like this. None of the stress or the insecure thoughts should be allowed here. Just us. Just our embrace and the love I feel for this one woman, not a single desire for anyone else in the world.

The love I feel for her was once mistaken for friendship. I didn't know how love felt, but it was clear once I realized just how much she means to me. Friendship isn't the desire to hold her hand for hours upon hours nor is friendship the fantasy of spending every second of my life with the summer mist who gave me a second chance at life. She deserves the whole world.

Opening my eyes again, I try to concentrate on the show, feeling Sunset's hand grip mine a little tighter as the two main characters begin to kiss each other. Slowly, a small sigh exits Sunset's lips as she rubs her face against my shoulder slightly, the feeling of her breath warming my arm. "You know, I never thought I would fall in love like this," Sunset whispers, scooting herself a little closer to me. "When I was a filly in Equestria, my parents always raised me to believe there was somepony out there for me, usually with the assumption it would be some lucky colt." A small chuckle escapes her, prompting me to laugh a little as well, resting my head on hers gently.

"Well, anyone would be lucky to have you~" I tease her slightly, rubbing my thumb against her hand as gently as I can.

"You smooth alligator~" Sunset giggles to her own statement, taking her head off my shoulder to look at me, prompting my own gaze to lock with hers. "But... seriously. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would... fall this hopelessly in love. In a different world and with a siren of all situations." Her hand lets go of mine and moves to my cheek, a dreamy smile appearing on her face. Again, I fluster way too easily, yet my eyes are able to maintain the gaze shared between us. "You... complete me, Adagio~ You mean so much to me and..." Bringing her other hand to the other side of my face, a small tear forms in her eye, our eyes still connected. "What did I ever do to deserve you?" For a moment, a sense of confidence spikes through me, bringing my own hands to Sunset's back, gently leaning back and pulling her with me. The movie is nothing but background noise at this point, both of us hopelessly lost in each other's eyes. Sunset props herself up without fully laying on me with both of her hands by my sides, a cute smile appearing on her face as I bring my hand to her hair, gently feeling the strands.

"I should be asking you the same thing~" Once more, that final wall crumbles as our lips connect, a passionate kiss being shared between us. Nothing more matters in the world other than us, Sunset's hands gently reminding me of that by holding my back and head, refusing to let me go. I never want to let her go either... This moment is just too perfect to simply let go and go about life. Life is far too colorful with Sunset to simply be content with a mere moment with her. Each and every second being filled with vibrant colors and each sense being fulfilled.

By the time our embrace ends, both of us don't want it to stop, pulling each other back into the same loving position. Each kiss fills my mind with her, thinking about every one of those smiles I treasure. Every time one of us pulls away, the other pulls us back in, both of us equally passionate in our approach. How could I not be...? Every single moment with Sunset is a blessing, one I don't deserve, but I still have it nonetheless. I treasure every day I spend with this woman I call the love of my life. I treasure her so much... Each kiss feels like it's never enough, just wanting to show her how much my heart beats for her. "I'm forever yours," I'm barely able to let out through Sunset's lips, forcing more kisses upon me, every one of them making me smile even more. Every time our lips press together, my mind can't help but think of every reason why I adore the woman with fiery hair and ocean eyes.

"You're my..." Sunset lets out in between a couple of kisses, still holding onto me just as tightly. "everything~" Both of our arms wrap around each other, our lips passionately pressed against each other as we ignore the movie that desperately tries to capture attention. At this point, I doubt anything could bring my attention away from the person I love, not even if the world was ending around us. As long as we have each other, I'm okay~

Sunset is the one to pull away from our embrace, opting to hug me as she lays on me instead, her arms tightening their grip around me. Both of us sigh into each other's necks with a giant smile appearing on my face, both of us finally whispering those three words in unison.

"I love you~"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17 5 4
Friendship is complicated. At least, Adagio thinks so. Adagio's only friend at the university she's attending is a previous enemy of hers. Sunset Shi...
978K 26.1K 51
~complete~ But what would happen when a military captain who barely talks meets an overly joyous girl who works at a bookstore? Surprising, wouldn't...
567 2 81
Anastacia Flores doesn't live a perfect life, but she pushes herself into her education to have a bright future and become a teacher. She is loved an...
29.9K 3.5K 52
One day darkness came and made everyone's hearts it's home. *** The village of Umbra has...