Give Life a Chance

By LilNikX

We all live for a purpose, however in light of traumatic events our purpose can become misguided our judgemen... More

Intro
Chapter 1 - The Caring Butterfly
Chapter 2 - The Hashira Meeting
Chapter 3 - Mount Kumotori
Chapter 4- The Teams Announced
Chapter 5 - Ripples in the Water
Chapter 6 - The Moon Sure is Beautiful Tonight
Chapter 7 - The First Mission.
Chapter 8 - The Proposal
Chapter 9 - The Fake Hashira and the Wounded Butterfly
Chapter 10 - The New Tsuguko
Chapter 11 - A New Friend
Chapter 12 - Dinner and a Show
Chapter 13 - The Ghost Town
Chapter 14 - Lucid Dreams
Chapter 15 - Growth
Chapter 16 - The Young Butterfly Finds her Wings
Chapter 18 - Remembrance
Chapter 19 - Please Come Back
Chapter 20 - Stay
Chapter 21 - A New Worker
Chapter 22 - The Return
Chapter 23 - The Flamboyant Pillar
Chapter 24 - The Corps Strongest Team
Chapter 25 - The Vengeful Matagi
Chapter 26 - A Pillar Crumbles
Chapter 27 - The Aftermath
Chapter 28 - Reunited
Chapter 29 - Progress
Chapter 30 - Role Reversal
Chapter 31 - The First Step
Chapter 32 - Whenever You Need Me
Chapter 33 - Collaboration
Chapter 34 - True Feelings
Chapter 35 - Mount Natagumo Part 1
Chapter 36 - Mount Natagumo Part 2
Chapter 37 - The Trial of Kamado Tanjiro and Tomioka Giyuu
Chapter 38 - The Old Giyuu
Chapter 39 - The Recovery Begins
Chapter 40 - The Butterfly Effect
Chapter 41 - Flame and Water
Chapter 42 - Departure
Chapter 43 - What Could Have Been
Chapter 44 - The Spiritual Core
Chapter 45 - The Perfect Dream
Chapter 46 - Enmu's Nightmare
Chapter 47 - The Human Spirit
Chapter 48 - Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 49 - Revelations
Chapter 50 - Confessions of a Damaged Heart
Chapter 51 - Reconciliation
Chapter 52 - The First 'Date'
Chapter 53 - A Flashy Friendship
Chapter 54 - Public Knowledge
Chapter 55 - The Next Step

Chapter 17 - Connections

3.7K 93 101
By LilNikX

Hours Later

Giyuu and Aoi arrived at the headquarters early for the meeting, entering a room of the building Aoi saw Shinobu waiting for them. She ran to Shinobu and hugged her, an act that was warmly reciprocated by her former master.

"SHINOBU-SAMA." Aoi yelled happily.

"Aoi-chan, I have missed you a lot. So have the girls, even Kanao, though don't ask me how I can tell." Shinobu responded with a laugh.

"Wow, that's amazing has she finally started making some decisions for herself?" Aoi asked, eyes full of hope.

"No, not yet, but she has at least gained the emotional range found in our mutual friend behind you, though she somehow is less talkative." Shinobu joked again.

"He's actually gotten a lot better." Aoi said, turning to look at Giyuu with a smile, which was returned with his typical look.

"Oh yes, he really does look like he has." Shinobu said sarcastically.

Aoi then whispered to Shinobu.

"I even saw him smile the other day, and he wasn't even eating that salmon dish you were talking about." She joked.

"That is incredible, you must teach me your ways." Shinobu responded, also whispering.

"Kocho, how have you been?" Giyuu asked.

"Aoi, did you even manage to teach him how to start a conversation?" Shinobu teased, earning a laugh from Aoi and a groan from Giyuu.

"No, he managed to learn that all on his own." Aoi joked.

"I have been good Tomioka-san, I have been taking my missions solo, but while it has been more effort it's not like I'm missing out on much conversation. So how have you been?" She asked, laughing at her first comment.

"I have been good, Aoi has been progressing very well." Giyuu said, causing Aoi to smile.

"That is good, I told you you'd do well." Shinobu said to the girl.

"Tomioka-sama is a very good teacher; I can't wait to see how well I will do in the future." Aoi said, her smile growing.

"I am glad to hear it." Shinobu replied.

"It has been easier to train her because she had already learned the fundamentals so, much of the credit belongs to you." Giyuu said.

"Even complimenting me Tomioka-san, perhaps I should've sent Aoi to you earlier than I thought." Shinobu said with a laugh.

"She has taught me a lot." Giyuu said honestly.

"I'm glad." Shinobu said, smiling at Giyuu.

The conversation halted momentarily, the two Hashira holding eye contact with each other. For a brief moment the two were content, not being surrounded by bloodthirsty demons and simply enjoying being normal. Aoi noticed and blushed, she was starting to become a mini Mitsuri.

"Do you like this? Tomioka-sama had it made for me." Aoi said, pointing to her new Haori.

"I do, and look at you Tomioka-san, appropriate gift giving? You're almost unrecognisable." Shinobu said.

"She comes with me on patrol at night and it gets cold, so I thought she should have something to stay warm." Giyuu replied.

"That is very considerate Tomioka-san." Shinobu said warmly.

It's the same pattern as that old friend of his, how sentimental Tomioka-san. She thought.

The three of them continued to talk for 20 minutes, and while Shinobu and Aoi carried the majority of the conversation, Giyuu was far from his typical silent self.

"Well Aoi, it has been great seeing you, and I am thrilled your training is going well, but the meeting is about to start and unlike Tomioka-san I am always on time." Shinobu said, hugging Aoi.

The girl hugged her sisterly figure back and watched the two leave with a smile.

"Sorry for leaving but I will come and get you as soon as the meeting is finished." Giyuu said to Aoi.

"Tomioka-sama, I think you're forgetting something." Aoi said a blush present on her face.

"Oh, you're right." Giyuu responded.

"What are you talking about?" Shinobu asked.

"Kocho, would you and Kanroji want to come to dinner with Aoi and I tonight? I said I would take her to get her ramen while we were here." Giyuu asked.

Shinobu stood shocked, not sure how to respond to Giyuu's sudden proposition.

"It's okay if you don't want to, I just thought it would be nice for the two of you to talk without a time restriction." Giyuu explained.

"Oh yes sorry, of course I'll come, I'll ask Mitsuri as well. Does this mean you'll join us at the Hashira gathering before dinner?" Shinobu asked.

"No, I will be with Aoi. She would like to go shopping while we are here." Giyuu said.

"Wow, such a dedicated teacher, commitment suits you Tomioka-san." Shinobu said with a smile. She was happy at how Giyuu was treating Aoi.

"Well shall we go?" She asked motioning to the door.

"Yes. I will see you soon Aoi, think of some places you would like to go while I am gone." Giyuu said, receiving a nod and a wave from Aoi the two Hashira made their way towards the meeting place.

"We encountered a demon on our first patrol." Giyuu said, surprising Shinobu.

"That would have been a good learning moment for her, I hope you made her watch as you fought." Shinobu responded.

"She was the one who killed it." Giyuu said.

Shinobu stopped, grabbing Giyuu.

"She what?" She asked.

"She killed it." Giyuu said.

"And how was it that she was in a position to fight it?" Shinobu asked again. Her tone changing.

"I told her to." Giyuu answered.

Shinobu tightened her grip on Giyuu.

"I don't know what it is you are trying to accomplish, but forcing a trainee to combat a demon alone is exceedingly reckless, I expect more from you. Especially when you were in there talking as if you were being so caring for her. Just who do you think you are?" She said, her smile still present but her tone was one of deep anger.

"I didn't force her, I asked her and she made the decision." Giyuu said, put off by the tone shift.

"It doesn't matter, you promised me that you would protect her, I fail to see how you did that." Shinobu continued.

"I stood right by her. I believed she was perfectly capable." Giyuu said.

"It doesn't matter, what if you had been late to help her?" She asked, still angry.

"The demon was only recently turned, and by my estimate the demon hadn't consumed a single person, they wont get any weaker than that." Giyuu said.

"Oh, so the entire fight went off without a hitch?" Shinobu asked sarcastically.

"Well no, but."

"But what? What happened?" Shinobu asked.

"She froze, and the demon almost hit her." Giyuu said nervously.

"Oh, she almost got hit? she froze? I suppose you then valiantly came to her rescue." Shinobu said.

"I cut the demons arm off and calmed her down, she then killed it using her techniques." Giyuu added.

"Oh, so it all turned out fine, I suppose that justifies putting her in danger." Shinobu argued.

"But she killed it." Giyuu said.

"BUT SHE FROZE." She yelled, surprising Giyuu and herself.

"What if you had been a second late, she would have been hit, potentially killed. I entrusted her to you, and you put her in danger almost immediately." Shinobu said angrily. Giyuu paused, seemingly trying to gather the courage to speak.

"And what if she froze during Final Selection? What if the same thing happened when there was more than 1 demon around? What if she freezes when no one is there to help her? I tell you what happens, the same that thing happened to me. A helpless kid who almost dies every step of the way. She needed the experience, and this was the safest way to give it to her. I understand you're upset, but I promise she was never in any danger of serious injury." Giyuu responded, his often calm and collected composure vanishing as he spoke.

Standing in silence she let him go, allowing her arm to drop by her side.

"I'm sorry, you're right. She is your student, and you made an informed decision, I'm sorry for doubting you." Shinobu said honestly.

"There's nothing wrong with being concerned, but please believe me when I say I'd never do anything to put her in unnecessary danger. But putting her in these types of supervised simulations, her growth will increase tremendously. She even used the second form that she hadn't even perfected yet." Giyuu said.

"Really?" Shinobu asked.

"Yes, she's getting better every day." Giyuu answered.

"Then I am glad, sorry for doubting you." She said, returning to her usual self.

The two silently made their way to the Hashira meeting area, neither wanting to speak after what was an incredibly rare emotional conversation between them. The other pillars were already present and talking amongst themselves. Mitsuri noticed the two approaching and ran up to them.

"SHINOBU-CHAN, TOMIOKA-SAN HOW ARE YOU!" She yelled, almost tackling Shinobu to the ground.

"Mitsuri-chan it is good to see you as well." Shinobu said with a laugh.

"Hello Kanroji." Giyuu said politely.

"How is Aoi-chan? I'm sure she's doing great." Mitsuri asked.

"She is progressing very well." Giyuu answered.

"Oh I knew it, that's just like her." Mitsuri said happily.

With Tengen

Entering the meeting together, interesting. He thought to himself.

"What are you thinking about? You have that annoying meddling look on your face." Sanemi said, noticing Tengen was looking away.

"Nothing at all my flashy friend, just wondering who the next person to bask in my glory on a mission will be." Tengen said.

"I hope it is not me, I can't stand hearing you talk like that." Obanai said from in his tree.

"You are worried about the wrong thing my friend, perhaps you should concern yourself more with your love interest currently talking to the mysterious and handsome Tomioka." Tengen said, annoying the serpent Hashira.

"What are you implying you overdressed gorilla?" Obanai said angrily.

"Don't worry my snake loving friend, I was simply making a joke." The large man laughed.

"Seriously though what are they doing trying to talk to that creep." Sanemi said angrily.

"I don't believe he is a creep. Perhaps misunderstood, but I never sensed any malicious intent." Gyomei said.

"Whatever, not like he'll speak anyway, the stupid mute." Sanemi argued.

Back with Giyuu

"Tomioka-san, you should ask her now." Shinobu suggested.

"ASK ME WHAT?" Mitsuri asked excitedly.

"Oh... umm... Aoi would like to know if..." Giyuu started but was interrupted by Shinobu.

"Now now, don't hide behind Aoi, ask her normally." Shinobu teased, poking Giyuu in the cheek. Giyuu sighed and spoke again.

"Would you like to join Aoi, Kocho and I for dinner? I promised Aoi I would take her for ramen while were here." Giyuu said.

The typically energetic and over positive pillar froze for a second. Of all the things she could have expected him to ask, an invitation to dinner was almost last on the list.

"Oh Tomioka-san I would love to, but I already said I'd join Kyojuro-san for dinner to celebrate our partnership." Mitsuri said.

Shinobu had an idea and quickly ran over to Rengoku.

"That is okay, I will let her know." Giyuu said.

Shinobu then returned with Rengoku. Giyuu stiffened for a second before composing himself.

"Hello Tomioka, how are you today?" Rengoku asked enthusiastically.

"I am well thank you, and how are you?" Giyuu asked awkwardly.

While he was more comfortable around people than ever before, he wasn't entirely ready to talk with everyone.

At least he's trying, though that sounded so awkward. Shinobu thought, laughing internally.

"I am great as always. So Kocho why have you brought me over here?" The flame pillar asked.

"Well, Tomioka-san has invited Mitsuri and I to dinner, however since Mitsuri already has dinner plans with you I was wondering if you'd join us all instead." Shinobu asked. Giyuu looked at Shinobu confused. Sure, he didn't mind Rengoku and even admired him, he didn't know if he was ready to be with the man in a casual setting.

"I WOULD ENJOY THAT." He said enthusiastically.

"Is that okay Tomioka-san?" Shinobu asked.

"Yes, of course." He said.

"Great, I am very much looking forward to it. I must say I am surprised you would invite me, but I am glad you are willing to speak with your fellow pillars." Rengoku said happily.

The three had just finished making their plans when a pair of twins walked out from the estate.

"The master is here, the master is here." They said in unison.

Almost instantly the pillars took their place and kneeled before the area the master would typically stand at. The master then made his way out to address the pillars a few seconds later.

"OYAKATA-SAMA, WE PRAY FOR YOUR CONTINUED HEALTH!" Rengoku yelled.

"Thank you Kyojuro, and I hope you are all well." The man replied happily.

"I would like to congratulate you all on a very successful first two months of the new partnership initiative." The master said, clearly proud of his Hashira.

"Each mission you were assigned was completed quickly and with minimal damage, we even managed to eliminate the lower moon 1 thanks to the efforts of Shinobu and Giyuu." He continued.

The other Hashira looked at the two, who were slightly embarrassed, remembering the details of that particular mission.

"Now, while this is a great accomplishment, we must remain on guard, with all the work we've done to eliminate the lower moons, I am sure Kibutsuji will be eager to increase the activity of the upper moons or even just strong lower rank demons, in order to pressure the corps. While I have no doubt you can all handle yourselves, the lower rank slayers may be more in danger now than ever before." The master warned.

Giyuu stiffened noticeably, thinking not only of his own student, but the boy he had saved and sent to Urokodaki. That man could not afford to lose another student.

"This next period of the joint missions will be slightly different, unfortunately for the next 4 months we will not hold any Hashira meetings. This is because I need to prepare everything for Final Selection. We will be rotating partners on a monthly basis, and I will be sending your assignments by Kasugai crow." Kagaya said.

"Understood Oyakata-sama." The Hashira responded.

"I have also approved Giyuu's request for time off so one of you will still work solo for the coming months." Kagaya said.

The other Hashira besides Shinobu were shocked, Mitsuri assumed it was due to training Aoi, and Sanemi was enraged but said nothing.

"Now with that being said the first partnerships are, Kanroji Mitsuri and Iguro Obanai." He started.

Shinobu turned to look at her friend who was now blushing madly.

"Rengoku Kyojuro and Shinazugawa Sanemi and finally, Uzui Tengen and Kocho Shinobu." The master said.

Giyuu didn't know why but hearing that Shinobu would be partnered with Tengen made him feel... weird.

"Gyomei, I will have your assignment to you within a few days." The master continued.

"Understood, thank you Oyakata-sama." Gyomei replied.

"Now my children. I will allow you to go about your lives as you wish, I will see you again after Final Selection." The master said, bowing to the pillars.

"Thank you, Oyakata-sama." The pillars said in unison.

Most of them went about talking to their new partners as Giyuu of course attempted to quickly step away.

"OI!" Sanemi yelled, causing Giyuu to stop.

"Who do you think you are?" Sanemi asked angrily, receiving no response.

"Taking 4 months off? Pathetic." Sanemi continued.

"Well at least say something you waste of space." Sanemi growled.

"I will be leaving now." Giyuu said turning to leave.

Sanemi ran and grabbed Giyuu by the arm hard. The water pillar turned around again, his emotionless mask remaining intact, but anger rose in his mind.

"You don't get to walk away, you might be useless and annoying, but you have a duty to fight until you die. So at the very least go die fighting, not going on holiday." The wind Hashira continued; his scowl similar to that of a rabid dog.

Shinobu grabbed Sanemi by the shoulder with force, while she wasn't strong enough to hurt the heavily scarred Hashira, she was able to get a point across.

"Ara Ara, such harsh words Shinazugawa-san. But I suggest you let him go, fighting is strictly prohibited, and your temperament is similar to that of a wounded animal." She said, a smile present on her face, betraying her scathing words.

"What do you want Kocho, you defending this loser now?" Sanemi asked angrily.

"What if I am? Does that anger you Shinazugawa-san?" She asked.

"He's taking time off. For what? To spend time with friends? He doesn't have any, he's just being lazy. I can put up with his antics for the short time I'm required to be near him at these meetings, but I won't allow him to take advantage of the master's kindness to sit around like the aloof asshole he is." Sanemi argued.

Giyuu snatched his arm away from Sanemi, causing the two to lock eyes in an intense stare down. Giyuu's face portrayed zero emotion as was typical and Sanemi snarled in an attempt to intimidate the water pillar.

"I will be taking my leave now." Giyuu said, walking away.

"Whatever." Sanemi said, walking away from Shinobu.

"Well, that was certainly awkward, but I must say it was flashy how you came to Tomioka's aid." Tengen said, appearing next to Shinobu.

"Hello Tengen-san, I see that we will be partners, I look forward to working with you." Shinobu said, slightly distracted.

Tengen, being the gossip master he was, obviously noticed.

"I do apologise for taking you away from Tomioka, but I am sure you two will reunite in a flamboyant way once he returns to duty." Uzui said.

Shinobu blushed slightly but managed to hide her face from the large man.

"If this is the form of conversation we will engage in I think I will request that I instead be partnered with Himejima-san." Shinobu said with a smile.

"A flashy comeback, I do think this will be a great month of work. That reminds me, my wives often accompany me on missions, and they are very excited to see you again." Tengen said in his usual dramatic way.

"I am glad, shall we join the rest of the group?" Shinobu asked.

"We shall."

The two joined the rest of the Hashira and they made plans to go to a tea house in the local town.

Giyuu returned to Aoi and the two began their shopping trip. As the two walked around, Aoi spotted a store that specialised in incense.

"Tomioka-sama forgive me for prying, but I noticed that every morning you light incense and pray to your shrine." She said nervously.

"I do." He responded.

"Well, I also noticed you were running low on it, would you like to buy some more now?" She asked, pointing to the store.

"That is a good idea."

Entering the store, the two were greeted by the clerk and began to look around.

Giyuu went to take the basic sandalwood but was stopped by Aoi.

"Tomioka-sama, the people on the shrine. They're important to you right?" She asked hesitantly.

"One is my sister, and the other is the boy that saved my life." Giyuu admitted.

"I didn't know you had a sister; I am sorry for bringing it up Tomioka-sama." Aoi said sadly.

"No, it's okay. She would've loved you." Giyuu said, a small smile reaching his face.

The smile. It does exist outside of a bowl of salmon daikon. So I wasn't hallucinating that day. Aoi thought to herself, amazed.

"Really?" Aoi asked, overjoyed at the compliment.

"Yes, I am sure." Giyuu said.

"Well, for loved ones that are no longer with us, Amber is used to aid in meditation and remembrance." Aoi said taking some of it and handing it to Giyuu.

"Oh, I didn't know that." Giyuu said taking it.

"Lavender is also used for spiritual healing and tranquillity, and rose is used for love and grief rituals. While sandalwood is used purification, using the other ones helps as well." Aoi said, handing him more scents.

"Thank you." Giyuu said.

"Where did you learn all of this?" Giyuu asked.

"Well, we use incense a lot at the butterfly mansion, so Shinobu-sama taught me about it." She answered.

"I see, so that is why it always smells of that nice wisteria scent." Giyuu said.

"Umm... yes." Aoi answered.

"I enjoy it, perhaps there is some here." Giyuu said walking to another part of the store.

That's not the incense, that's Shinobu-sama's perfume. Aoi thought, imagining the look on Mitsuri's face when she inevitably told her about that comment.

With the Hashira

"Well, the lower moon 1 teamed up with its supposed brother. So, the trend of demon team ups has continued." Shinobu explained.

"This is troubling." Gyomei said tears streaming down his face.

"What was it's blood demon art?" Obanai asked.

"It could see your memories and produce hallucinations that only you could see." Shinobu explained.

"I see, that could be difficult to combat, especially if you were unaware of it's capabilities." Rengoku said.

"Yes, it was. Though ultimately its insistence on continuing to attempt to torment me was what caused it to be killed." Shinobu said.

"Stupid demons." Sanemi said in frustration.

"That sounds horrible Shinobu-chan, I hope you and Tomioka-san weren't hurt." Mitsuri said.

"Unfortunately in our attempt to use him as a form of bait, I was late and the demon managed to pierce Tomioka-sans chest with it's claws and steal some blood." Shinobu said.

"Oh no, is he okay?" Mitsuri asked.

"At least he was finally useful." Sanemi said under his breath.

Tengen punched Sanemi lightly in the shoulder and shook his head in disapproval.

"He was fine, but he got trapped in a looping hallucination, supposedly when the demon made physical contact, it could make the dreams more vivid." Shinobu said sadly.

"That's awful." Mitsuri said.

"Yes Tomioka-sama I would love to, maybe you could even purchase some clothes for yourself." A female voice said with a laugh.

"I guess." A familiar male voice said.

As the Hashira came to a crossroad Shinobu, Mitsuri and Tengen saw Giyuu and Aoi walking along a street they held bags from their shopping, including supplies, a new training sword for Aoi and the incense Giyuu had purchased. The two didn't notice the group and continued to walk.

That is so cute. Mitsuri thought, her eyes filled with stars.

Shinobu had a genuine smile on her face.

Isn't that one of Kocho's Tsuguko? OH THIS CERTAINLY IS FLAMBOYANT. Two lovers sharing a student. Tengen thought... flashily.

Hours Later at Dinner

Giyuu sat next to Aoi, who was of course next to Shinobu, and Mitsuri and Rengoku sat opposite the three.

"So that's the reason you're taking time off?" Rengoku asked.

"Yes, I wanted to train Aoi correctly, but if I was still going on missions at the same rate, I would not have been home enough to properly develop her skills." Giyuu explained.

"Well, that sure is admirable, I train my younger brother when I am home so I do understand how difficult it can be to find time given our busy schedule. How are you doing in your training young lady?" Rengoku asked.

"I think I am doing well, I'm certainly better than I was when I first arrived." Aoi said happily.

"She is doing great." Giyuu said, looking at the now slightly embarrassed Aoi, not sure how to react to all the attention she was getting. 

"She's already managed to slay a demon." Giyuu added.

Mitsuri looked shocked and turned to Shinobu, who was looking at Giyuu with a genuine smile.

I guess they already talked about it. Mitsuri thought. 

"That is wonderful, I'm sure you'll be a master swordswoman in no time." Rengoku said happily.

"Thank you." Aoi said.

"Tomioka, I apologise for not helping you earlier when Sanemi accosted you. I should have intervened." Rengoku said genuinely. 

"It is okay, Kocho was very helpful." Giyuu said.

"Well thank you Tomioka-san, it's the least I could do for my former partner." Shinobu said with a laugh.

"Still, I should not let him treat you like that, you are our comrade." Rengoku said.

"Thank you." Giyuu replied.

"What happened?" Aoi asked, concerned.

"Shinazugawa simply took issue with me taking time off." Giyuu answered.

"You should have seen it Aoi-chan, Shinazugawa-san was yelling in Tomioka-san's face and grabbing him, but he stood there and didn't even flinch. It was so cool." Mitsuri said.

"It wasn't anything special, I just didn't want to cause a scene in the master's home." Giyuu said.

"That Shinazugawa, he was always so abrasive I never particularly liked him." Aoi said, angrily.

"I believe that's the first time you've ever addressed anyone without their honorifics." Shinobu laughed.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." Aoi apologised.

"Don't worry Aoi-chan, it's actually quite funny." Shinobu quickly assure the girl.

The three settled in and enjoyed their dinner, the conversation flowed well and Giyuu even joined in, though he was slightly put off by Rengoku's... unique habit of shouting 'UMAI' after every bite. After finishing their dinner, they moved outside and began to walk.

"Do you want to get some Mochi? I know you said you liked it." Giyuu asked Aoi.

"Yes please." Aoi said politely.

The two then walked ahead, leaving a stunned Mitsuri, Rengoku and Shinobu behind.

"Oh my god. He's so cute." Mitsuri said looking at Shinobu.

"I never thought he had this side to him. It is admirable." Rengoku added.

"Shinobu-chan." Mitsuri said.

"Shinobu-chan?" She repeated.

Shinobu still hadn't moved, staring at Giyuu, the way he moved was different, more carefree, almost as if he for once was enjoying himself, and the way Aoi looked at him with eyes full of admiration and happiness made her feel overjoyed.

"Shinobu-chan." Mitsuri said, shaking her friend.

"Yes?" She asked,

"You kind of phased out for a second there." Rengoku said.

"Oh, did I? I am sorry I must be more tired than I thought." Shinobu responded.

"Yeah, maybe tired of not being together with Tomioka-san." Mitsuri said with a giggle.

"Kocho, are you interested in Tomioka? This is great news." Rengoku said enthusiastically.

Shinobu blushed hard, she had totally been caught in the act and was now being interrogated by two of her closer friends.

"I do not." Shinobu said, trying to cover herself.

"You absolute liar." Mitsuri teased.

"I do not. Unlike you and Iguro-san me and Tomioka-san view each other as only friends." Shinobu said. If ever there was a way to avoid the GiyuuShino topic it was to bring up Mitsuri's crush.

"KYAAA WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" Mitsuri said, blushing madly.

"MY OWN TSUGUKO INVOLVED IN A ROMANCE WITH A FELLOW HASHIRA, HOW DELIGHTFUL." Rengoku yelled.

The three eventually caught up with Giyuu and Aoi. Aoi had ordered two servings of Sakura mochi and was currently eating them happily, with Giyuu sitting with her.

"Oh. My. God. Is that Sakura mochi?" Mitsuri asked excitedly.

"Yes, I really like it." Aoi said.

"It's my favourite." Mitsuri said happily, instantly going to order some.

"Would you like some Tomioka-sama?" Aoi asked, offering him a piece from her plate.

"I am okay." He said.

"Come on, try it. It tastes so good." She argued.

"Okay." Giyuu conceded, taking the mochi.

"It is nice to see a more caring side of you Tomioka. I do hope this marks the beginning of stronger relationships between you and the rest of us." Rengoku said happily.

Giyuu nodded and ate the mochi.

"He actually is really nice, don't let the tough exterior fool you." Aoi said.

He's done such a good job with her. This was a good decision. Shinobu thought happily.

The group sat and finished their mochi, they then talked while walking towards the exit of the small town.

"Well, this was a very enjoyable night thank you all for coming." Aoi said appreciatively.

"It was no problem I also enjoyed myself." Rengoku said.

"I agree, it's always nice to see you Aoi-chan." Mitsuri said, grabbing the girl in a large hug.

"I am glad that you are doing so well Aoi, thank you Tomioka-san." Shinobu said, smiling at the two.

"Thank you all for coming." Giyuu said in return.

"It is getting late, I don't want to keep you all from returning home, especially when you could receive missions." Giyuu added

"Awwww, I guess you're right." Mitsuri said, clearly not wanting to let Aoi go.

"Tomioka, it has been good getting to know you, I hope we continue to talk in the future." Rengoku said excitedly.

"Kyojuro-san come look at the sword Tomioka-san got Aoi." Mitsuri said.

"I see, is this a weighted blade, such a good training tactic." Rengoku said, walking over to Aoi.

Giyuu and Shinobu locked eyes for a moment then quickly looked away.

"You're doing a very good job with Aoi, Tomioka-san." Shinobu said, turning back to look at him.

"Thank you. I wish you good luck with you missions with Tengen." Giyuu said, still not returning her gaze.

"Ara ara, are you jealous Tomioka-san? You and I weren't going to be partners forever." Shinobu said with a laugh. Receiving an annoyed grunt from Giyuu.

"Oh my gosh, you totally are jealous. It's okay Tomioka-san I'll still be your friend even though we're not on missions together." Shinobu teased.

"And this Aoi is how all relationships start." Mitsuri whispered to Aoi.

"I'm glad you agree, the chemistry is totally there." Aoi agreed.

"You should have hear him earlier, when we were talking about incense scents, he commented that he enjoyed the wisteria smell from the mansion. But that smell comes from Shinobu-sama's perfume." Aoi whispered back, causing Mitsuri to almost faint.

The group said goodbye to each other and went back to their respective homes. Aoi was happy with her day, she had bought new clothes to train in, and Giyuu had even got her a new training sword. Giyuu was also happy, he had made another connection with Rengoku and even though Sanemi had been angry with him he still had friends in Mitsuri and Shinobu.

I'm glad Kocho is happy with how I'm treating Aoi, I can tell she's been worried. Giyuu thought, getting into bed.

With Shinobu and Mitsuri at the Butterfly Mansion.

"Come on, you don't have to admit you like him but come on, he was so adorable with Aoi." Mitsuri pleaded.

"Why are we talking about me and Tomioka-san, when you are being partnered with Iguro-san." Shinobu replied, attempting to change the subject.

"Not gonna work this time." Mitsuri said, determined though still blushing madly.

"I don't know what your obsession is with us, just drop it." Shinobu argued.

"If you refuse to admit your feelings, just please admit he looked cute." Mitsuri begged.

"No, that is stupid." Shinobu argued.

"Come on, he so was. Don't think I didn't catch you staring at him." Mitsuri teased, receiving silence from Shinobu.

"Don't ignore me, the more you do the more I'll push." Mitsuri threatened.

"Fine."

"He looked cute." Shinobu said, blushing.

"KYAAAAA, PLEASE PROMISE ME I CAN BE THE MAID OF HONOUR AT YOUR WEDDING." Mitsuri shouted.

"That's enough. Goodnight Mitsuri." Shinobu said, turning to sleep.

"Good night. Tomioka Shinobu." Mitsuri teased running out of the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.1K 2K 19
Giyuu Tomioka. A 21 year old university student who knew nothing but study. He didn't have many friends, and the friends he did have didn't like him...
32.6K 858 28
Love for the slayers seems impossible; you'll never know when the other will die and leave you in the cruel world's wake. Watch Giyuu and Shinobu acc...
24K 445 19
Giyushino Oneshots, mostly fluff. ⚠️May contain some spoilers. So read at your own risk.⚠️ ‼️Read only if you want to. No hate please.‼️ This is to...
1.3M 36.4K 71
[Completed] Giyuu and Y/n, two lovers who got seperated after giyuu's final selection. Y/n always went to find giyuu but fate didn't let them see eac...