Chapter 30 - Role Reversal

With the Hashira

The group had made their way to a western style restaurant and ordered their food. They had taken a seat in the biggest booth the place had. On one side of the table sat Sanemi, Obanai, Mitsuri and Tengen, across from them sat Muichiro, Rengoku, Giyuu, Shinobu and Gyomei. Normally Giyuu and Shinobu sitting next to each other would have made Mitsuri cause a stir, but Aoi had told her that the two had fallen into the habit while Shinobu was taking care of him. Tengen however looked at the two with the excitement of a child on Christmas.

The group talked amongst each other, a lot of the conversation was focussed on Giyuu which made him uncomfortable. Shinobu noticed this and steered the conversation away from him, which he appreciated. Though one particular Hashira didn't allow it.

"So Tomioka, Upper Moon 5, eh? Must have been difficult." Sanemi said.

"Its attacks were potent and unpredictable, and it was much stronger and faster than any demon I have seen before." Giyuu said.

"A shame you couldn't even hold it there until the sun came out. Especially considering the sun was rising." Sanemi taunted.

Tengen turned and looked at the wind Hashira, he wasn't sure what it was that made the man so abrasive, but this was incredibly unnecessary.

Shinobu felt her anger reappear but managed to hide it with her usual smile. What did Sanemi know? He had never fought an upper moon before.

"It was, unfortunately after being poisoned and being cut so deeply I did not have the strength to hold it." Giyuu said.

"Truly unfortunate." Sanemi said.

So much better than us right? Yeah right. Sanemi thought. He refused to let go of his annoyance towards Giyuu. He knew Giyuu believed he was better than them, no matter how much Tengen told him he was wrong.

"So Tomioka-san, what did you order?" Mitsuri asked, breaking the tension that had risen.

"I got the cheeseburger." Giyuu answered.

"AWW, I love cheeseburgers, you made a really good choice." Mitsuri said happily.

"Thank you." Giyuu responded.

"So... Tomioka and Kocho, you two will continue on missions together while the rest of us fly solo." Tengen said.

"Yes, those were the masters' orders." Giyuu replied.

"Interesting, I assume you're taking partnered missions until your skills return to you. But still, why Kocho specifically." Tengen said, feigning curiosity. He knew exactly why but hoped to get a rise out of the two.

"Kocho is a medical expert and is the one who was in charge of Tomioka's rehabilitation. She would be the most logical partner." Gyomei said, ruining Tengen's fun.

"As a Hashira you should have been able to figure that out on your own." Obanai said, handing his snake a snack.

Tengen shrunk into his chair, disappointed that his plan had not worked.

The group ate their food and exited the restaurant, the conversation flowed well, but Giyuu remained quiet, only speaking when someone would ask him something, but he did enjoy his time with the group.

"Let's go do something else. I hear there is a festival taking place in a town near here." Mitsuri suggested. The Hashira agreed except Giyuu.

"Sorry, but I am going to leave. Thank you for inviting me." He said politely.

"Aww, Tomioka-san come on it'll be fun." She said.

"I have not been home in a long time, there are things I must do." Giyuu said.