Chapter 20 - Stay

3 Days Later with Shinobu

Shinobu paced the halls of the butterfly mansion, in between appointments and taking care of new patients she was incredibly stressed. Aoi being gone and facing guaranteed danger terrified her. Besides that, Giyuu had not visited her as he said he would, which worried her. She had never known him to be a liar, so where was he?

"Shinobu-sama, a new patient has arrived." Naho said.

"Thank you Naho-chan, I will go check on them now." Shinobu replied.

Shinobu moved to the infirmary, thoughts of Aoi still travelling through her mind, when she heard a very loud voice coming from the other room.

"IT IS NO ISSUE; I WILL BE FINE." A masculine voice said.

Shinobu entered the room and saw an enthusiastic as always Rengoku talking loudly to young Sumi.

"Rengoku-san, how are you?" She asked.

"AH KOCHO I AM FINE." Rengoku responded loudly.

"I must ask you to stop yelling, there are patients trying to rest peacefully." Shinobu requested.

"My apologies." Rengoku said, much quieter.

"Now, what seems to be the problem?" Shinobu asked.

"I was training with my father and things got a little intense." Rengoku answered.

"So where does it hurt?" She asked.

"Mainly in my mid-section but also on my arms." Rengoku answered.

"Understood, now please remove your uniform shirt so I can examine you." Shinobu said, Rengoku then removed his upper clothing revealing a highly bruised torso and shoulder area. Shinobu stared wide eyed at the damage.

"This is, excessive." She commented.

"My father does not train me often, but when he does, he tends to spar at his full capabilities." Rengoku said, disappointing Shinobu.

"I understand he is a former Hashira but there must be another way to train, this is dangerous and unnecessary." She said to the man, who began to dress himself.

"I doubt he'd listen, but I will tell him." Rengoku replied.

"Fine. Just take some of our ointment and apply it twice a day until you run out, and please rest for a few days." Shinobu said, taking a container of ointment from a nearby container.

"I will." Rengoku said politely, he went to leave but stopped, remembering something.

"Kocho, have you spoken to Tomioka recently?" Rengoku asked.

"I have." Shinobu answered.

"How is he?" Rengoku asked.

"He was okay. He came by with Aoi so we could say goodbye before she took Final Selection." Shinobu said.

"Oh, I see." Rengoku said, his usual energetic voice faltering slightly.

"What is it?" Shinobu asked.

"It's just, as I'm sure you're feeling now, anytime a Tsuguko takes on something dangerous we find it hard to go about normal life with the stress and worry over their student's well-being." Rengoku said.

"You are right, I have found myself mentally preoccupied at times." Shinobu admitted.

"And with Tomioka-san's lifestyle anything small could spell catastrophe." Shinobu joked.

"You're not wrong. I can tell he cared for Aoi quite a lot, I can't imagine her being away and doing something that could get her killed is helping him remain stable." Rengoku said seriously.