The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 22: Bickering
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 38: Separation

841 34 0
By MissElleDee

Then, all of a sudden -

Bang!

Duke Calex was suddenly pushed back from the bed.

Due to the intensity of the atmosphere between him and Atallie, it was given that their other senses would be taken over with the raging fire of passion.

Yet, when Duke Calex was about to roam his hands to some restricted parts, Atallie abruptly pushed him away, and he was caught off guard.

Thus, the dumbfounded Duke Calex found himself pushed back. He directly landed on the carpeted floor with a thud.

Meanwhile, Atallie slowly got off the bed and walked straight to the nearest table, and fetch herself a glass of water. She nonchalantly walked past the flabbergasted duke.

After drinking up, Atallie felt refreshed. After all, she just woke up from a good slumber then came the assault.

Instead of water, what she had first was someone else's saliva.

Thinking about it, Atallie didn't know what to feel.

Admittedly, she didn't know what had gotten to her to let herself succumb to the duke's sudden kiss. Yet, in the end, thinking about that he was her husband already, besides the fact that she had already tasted those lips of the duke and she was curious about it as well, Atallie didn't have to think much and just went with the flow.

However, this didn't mean that she was an easy person. After all, Atallie knew that although their marriage was made out of the blue, marriage in its sense was not a child's play. Hence, it was this same reason why she decided to take the marriage seriously and make efforts herself to make it work.

Covering her sleeveless nightgown with a robe, Atallie didn't go back to her bed. Instead, she sat down on the sofa across her bed while Duke Calex slowly stood up from the floor.

Atallie's misty amber eyes narrowed as she spoke, her voice was as nonchalant and cold as ever. "Such great skills, duke. I didn't know that your years of accumulated experience could almost make me breathless."

Duke Calex stood tall with a stern and cold face, dark aura was looming around him, making a stark contrast against the bright morning surrounding.

At this time, Duke Calex was a bit lost. He knew too well that whether it was love or not, he was too attracted to the duchess. He just could not possibly resist the indescribable pull that seemed to draw him more and more into the intricate web of something he had never known or experienced before.

To say that Duke Calex was exasperated because of this unexplainable surge of desire, was an understatement. He was feeling different emotions at the same time. But there was one thing he was certain of.

He wanted her.

Whether his current feelings were deep or shallow, he wanted her. So badly.

Duke Calex utterly, thoroughly, and helplessly wanted Atallie.

All these years, Duke Calex would admit that even though he was surrounded with different women or rather, different women were forcibly thrown at his door, Duke Calex was still untouched and undefiled. And this shocking and unbelievable truth was just known to people less than the number of fingers on his one hand.

Yet, for some reason, Duke Calex never once tried to clear his name. Thus resulting in various disturbing and unpleasing rumors about him and his life in debauchery.

But looking at it now, it was the first time that he felt regretful about those widely spread rumors.

Duke Calex knew that Atallie would not be different from everyone who believed in those rumors about him. After all, letting her see those women around the estate, the duke could not blame the duchess.

But being wrongly accused by the first-ever woman who made him interested and woken up the indescribable and disturbing desire within him, Duke Calex could not help but be angry. He was angry at Atallie, but more at himself and the entire situation.

However, because he could not do anything at this moment, Duke Calex didn't know what to do in this situation.

"It is not what you think," Duke Calex started. His jaw was clenched and his teeth were gritted.

Atallie almost snorted.

"If it is not, then, what it could be? Don't tell me that those more than a dozen of women from different corners of the kingdom was merely just for display? Are you taking me for a fool, duke? I am not blind and you clearly even flaunted them when I first arrived here." Atallie said. Her tone was as cold and monotonous as ever but her words were definitely sharp as knives.

Duke Calex was rendered speechless.

He surely could not make any rebuttal.

Thinking about how frustrating the current situation was, and how mixed up his emotions right now, Duke Calex knew that they would not be able to easily straighten out their affairs. Thus, instead of facing it now, Duke Calex decided to finish up the previous matters first.

"Forget about it for now. Let's talk about that man," Duke Calex said to stir away from the current conversation.

Atallie, although she knew that Duke Calex intentionally changed the topic of conversation, decided to let it go as well. For now. She knew that it was even a bigger matter than the matter involving Del.

"What about Del?" Atallie asked.

The frown on the duke's face deepened after hearing Del's name.

It was certain that Duke Calex was displeased about Del and even hearing or mentioning that name could make him upset for some reason, how much more when it comes directly from Atallie?

"I agree with your request. However, being a Knight is far different from being a hunter. Not to mention, he was just an ordinary mountain hunter, and nothing more. His skills could not possibly be compared to those hunters in guilds and mercenaries who fight against monsters," said Duke Calex.

Atallie remained silent. Duke Calex didn't know whether she would speak up for the man. Hence, he decided to go all the way and finish the conversation as soon as he could.

"I'll give him a chance. He will undergo the training of every apprentice. The entire training consists of 3 stages. Every stage has to be mastered. At the end of every stage, he will have to pass the examination. If he managed to pass all 3 stages of training, he will be knighted. However, if he failed even just 1 out of 3 examinations from those stages, he will not be given any other chance," Duke Calex said.

"Although I don't believe in him and I clearly don't understand what you are trying to do here, my dear wife. However, I want to let you know that being a knight is not as easy as being able to wield a sword. I am now agreeing to your request to end the dispute from before," he continued.

"I will only have to impose one condition. The training will be for half a year. That will be 2 months for each stage. Although the Knight's quarters and training grounds were also within the estate, I forbid you to meet with him under no circumstances," Duke Calex added.

"Do you agree?" He asked.
The stimulating atmosphere from before was completely gone.

Duke Calex was clearly serious about this matter at hand.

Personal feelings aside, he wanted to fairly and thoroughly test Del as well. He could not just possibly make him a knight without any grounds, right? Thus, intense training was needed. And during the training, apprentice knights were highly encouraged not to be disturbed by any worldly affairs. But this didn't necessarily mean that they were completely not allowed to have contact with the outside world while training.

However, matching up to the ridiculous request of the duchess, the duke could only impose his own condition on this matter.

Atallie was also aware of everything that Duke Calex had said. She was also aware that the condition was just from his own selfish desire.

Yet, she knew that she could only agree so as not to provoke the duke again and let the matter be dragged on and on.

Thus, standing from the soft cushion, Atallie walked up towards Duke Calex. She extended her fair and smooth right hand in front of her. "I agree," she said.

Duke Calex was a bit taken aback. He was not entirely certain whether his wife would agree. He had even come up with various reasons to back up his selfish condition. Yet, in the end, he heard her reply.

Looking at the hand that reached out in front of him, Duke Calex could not help but smirk.

He didn't know whether to be happy about Atallie easily agreeing to his condition.

Does that mean that even though it could be difficult, she cares deeply enough for him that she easily agreed to my condition just to pave a way for him and keep him on her side should he manage to be a knight?

Or does she simply agree to accommodate me?

Thinking about it, Duke Calex was leaning greatly on his first train of thoughts.

But at this moment, he reached out his right hand as well and shook it with Atallie's.

Their agreement had been sealed.

Afterward, Duke Calex didn't stay for too long anymore. He left the Crystal Diamond room and let Atallie rest and be on her own.

The next day.

Atallie was back in her pinkest health. It was like she truly just merely rested yesterday and the cause of her short illness was because of stress.

This had made Duke Calex feel relieved and bothered both at the same time.

Was he the one who brought such stress to his wife?

Was she so relieved to have me agree on her request that her health was instantly restored after that?

Those questions kept on popping in the duke's chaotic mind.

Meanwhile, Atallie was having an afternoon tea with Del, under the duke's permission. This would be their last time to meet openly before the 6-month training.

"Tallie, will this really be our last meeting?" Del asked. His gentle and charming face looked so sad and downtrodden.

Atallie glanced at him with a raised eyebrow. "Don't speak as if we're not ever going to meet again."

"It truly is. We are not going meet in six whole months after this!" Del said. His tone was filled with melancholy and indignation. "Do you really have the heart to not meet me during the training?" He asked, accusingly.

"Del, I have already agreed on the condition. I know the terms well and you know me. I don't want to go against my word, as much as possible." Atallie said as she took another sip on her cup.

"Just do well on the training and soon you'll be out of it," Atallie added.

"It's not the training that I'm thinking about," Del said. His brown eyes particularly shining and piercing as they gaze intently at Atallie.

It's that I'm afraid...that I won't matter in your eyes anymore after that short yet seemingly eternally long period of time.

Having spent quite a long time with each other's company, just a glint or a change of light in Del's eyes could be easily interpreted by Atallie. And right now, she knew too well those unspeakable words that Del would not dare to utter now. Given that she had already reprimanded him the last time about having propriety between a married woman and a man, Atallie was certain that Del, as much as he could, would not dare to openly and brazenly cross the line once again.

It was a bit harsh. Yet, it was the right thing to do. After all, Atallie herself didn't want to be a vile woman and be wrongly accused of adultery.

Atallie out down her cup as she spoke, "I know you're going to do well on the training. Just focus on that for the time being. The other affairs have been settled. Just think about it as a vacation."

"Vacation? It is not. It will be like torture –"

"Del," Atallie had to cut through. "I don't want to repeat myself again. Please comply willingly, or else..."

Del panicked. "I know, I know. I was wrong, Tallie," he answered so quickly with moistened eyes. Tears seemed to be coming out from those flashing eyes of him.

"Enough. You have to go now," said Atallie. She had to drive Del away or else, she would not be able to take those tears if they were to come out.

Admittedly, Del was one of her soft spots. After all, she only had a few people growing up by her side. Besides, her childhood and growing up years were not particularly easy. Thus, Atallie truly treasured those few ones who were with her through thick and thin.

And if Del would continue to play unfair with his dejected and crestfallen appearance and those tears that seemed to leak out anytime soon, Atallie would not do what to do.

Del, upon seeing that his charm was not effective anymore, could only try to pick up his messed-up emotions. But he was truly feeling aggrieved and sad. It would be the very first time that Atallie had to directly and strictly distance herself from him.

It never happened before and Del felt lost and angry.

Del already knew that he had already missed his chance.

Both of them grew up in comfort and warmth of each other, and yet, that comfort made them too complacent that before it could even develop into something more than familial love or close friendship, Del and Atallie unexpectedly met with a surprise that put up a wall between that long-established and securely built bridge between the two of them.

And now, he knew that his chance was already gone. Although he could still stay beside Atallie, he would have to always watch out not to cross the line. And yet...

And yet, he was still unwilling to admit defeat.

Del decided to not dwell on it for now. He would have six months to think things through and he knew that he had to do well and not go against Atallie's wishes.

For now, he would have to accomplish the given task first. If not, he would never have had the chance to stay at Atallie's side.

Becoming her personal Knight was the easiest and most acceptable way. Only by then, he could openly be with Atallie without many obstacles. 

Del stood from his seat and walked up in front of Atallie.

Atallie took a sidelong glance at him.

Then, Del suddenly knelt on his one knee as he spoke, "Tallie, my whole person will always be yours. I will make sure to accomplish the training without any hitch so I can finally be back at your side."

Atallie remained silent. But her heart was stirred. She knew that Del was yet to give up. His words were tactful enough, yet the underlying meaning and intention were so clear for Atallie to under.

He was not yet ready to let her go.

She knew that Del decided to do what he could only do for now.

But once he went back and successfully become her personal knight, that would be the time for him to deal with the matters of his heart.

And Atallie also didn't know what she could do when the time comes.

She already clearly stated that she wanted her marriage to be clean and faithful. Although the duke had ambiguous affairs, she herself wanted to be clean as a slate. She didn't want the relationship between her and Del to go south if Del would continue to pursue her even if she already said no and put up a line that should not be crossed between them.

Yet, on the other hand, Atallie could not just completely cut their relationship. After all, it was built upon years of blood and sweat and tender moments as well.

But she knew that she could not afford to thread through some muddled waters.

Atallie knew that she could not give Del any chances anymore.

But for now, her heart could not just continuously bear to slap Del the reality that she was already married and that he needed to back off.

For now, she could only tolerate these few antics of Del.

Just like Del, Atallie decided to let go of the matter and just face them again when the time comes.

After all, a lot of things could happen during that 6-month period of time.

After a moment of silence between the two of them as they were both caught up in their own thoughts,

Del finally got up from his knee. He slightly bowed at Atallie as he said, "Then, I will leave first."

Atallie looked finally looked at Del. She saw that bright and sweet smile on his face once again.

It was a smile that could always lift up her mood. She knew that Del flasher this particular smile of him because he wanted her to see him off pleasantly.

"I will see you soon, Tallie," Del said with that bright smile on his face. 

And yes, that particular smile of him never failed to lift Atallie's mood up.

"Mm. See you soon," Atallie answered back with the corner of her lips slightly lifted up.

_______

A/n: And yes! That's it for the new update. Just like I expected, we've been pretty busy in the office after reporting back onsite. It's difficult to find time to write. Almost 3/4 of my day was spent outside, in the office, and traveling back and forth. It was truly taxing.

But anyway, I'll keep on writing whenever I can because I don't want to delay the story. And of course, because I know that my few but very dear readers are waiting for me!
\((^•^))/

Even now, I finished up this chapter in the office just to give you all an update ((^•~)).

Thank you for the continuous support, reads, and votes! Please continue to do so!

I'll see you in the next chapter!

Xoxo

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8 0 7
There is a famous story about the strongest warrior around the empire of Claveria. A woman leading an army of strong men who always bring victory to...
8.6K 291 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
1.3K 2 47
I have always been a hopeless romantic, always daydreaming of my prince charming to come, sweep me off my feet and we would ride off into the sunset...
46.4K 2.4K 56
Fate leads those who are willing but must push those who are not. One might interpret this saying a bit too literal. After all, Elena did end up on t...