ALONE [JJK]

By StupidButCute00

"Your eyes are like smoke: gray and full of heat." His own eyes dipped into yours, his arms only slightly loo... More

Prologue
Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
IMPORTANT
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty - Four
Chapter Thirty - Five
Chapter Thirty - Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty - Eight
Chapter Thirty - Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty - Two
Chapter Forty - Three
Chapter Forty - Four
Chapter Forty - Five
Chapter Forty - Six
Chapter Forty - Seven
Chapter Forty - Eight
Chapter Forty - Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty Two -Part 02-
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-nine

Chapter Fifty-Two -Part 01-

3.7K 207 120
By StupidButCute00

Chapter Fifty-Two,

"Are you okay?" Jungkook suddenly leaned in and whispered, looking up at him your heart softened at the sight of his concerned eyes, "You haven't said anything ever since you walked from that interrogation, did something happen?" He added. The man had to stay at the office while you, Taehyung, and Prosecutor Park interrogate the twelfth offender of the 12 cases.

Jungkook noticed your strange behavior immediately, you weren't talking nor correcting the other men when they obviously made false theories, you used to take pleasure in making his friend look like an idiot and Jungkook found it weird that you didn't take this opportunity. You just sat there staring around the office and sometimes writing on the piece of paper next to you.

It wasn't right after you came from the interrogation room like Jungkook thinks but after you had a phone call from Mingyu.

"Hello?" You answered your phone after reading Mingyu's name on the screen.

"De...........Kim..........I re............Your d......."

"Oy, You're breaking up, it's hard to hear you." You sighed while trying to understand what he wanted to say, "Mingyu.....Can you hear me?" You raised your eyebrow, confused. This never happened to you here......

Oh....wait....

You immediately hung up.

That's what happened. You had to think before speaking now. "I am f-fine, just a little disappointed that we didn't get enough information from her." You swallowed. Eyes avoiding the man wishing he'd just forget about it.

'I know what you're hiding.'

Shut up. You rolled your eyes.

You suddenly stood up, staying like that will only make Jungkook more worried and him being worried about you only means he'll keep watching you carefully which you don't want at the moment, "Can I use your whiteboard, Park Hyunsik ssi?" you asked the prosecutor who was busy showing Taehyung files or whatever.

They both looked at you, "Y-yeah, please feel free, Detective Y/N." He told you with a small smile on his face. "Did you figure something out?"

Sighing, you walked toward the board that was as white as snow, nothing written on it as if it was waiting for you. "Not sure it will be a lot but it's something to start with, I guess...." You explained holding the black pen and started writing.

"Determine the cause of death, the instrument or method used and finally the motive.......... Those are the basic crime scene investigation procedures." You started explaining while writing, you knew Taehyung and Hyunsik are well aware of the procedures but Jungkook might not, and it was one of your ways of explanation to start from the very beginning, "Serial killers murder more people to hide their motive as in the real person they wanted dead, in most cases it's the first victim..........but in this case, one number is standing out."

"Twelve," Taehyung pointed out after a three-second silence break.

"Yes, twelve." You nodded without giving Taehyung a glance, you knew they were looking at you carefully trying to get your point, so you continued explaining your point, "The woman we interrogated earlier, Jung Mi Suk, 43 female....... convicted of killing Uchida Yujiro, 41 Male Professor of Japanese History at SNU who is her daughter's Professor........... The motive was avenging her daughter who used to get sexually and mentally assaulted by the victim..........Also, for crediting Hori's graduation note to another student. "

"That wasn't what she said nor mentioned." Taehyung questioned, "How did you know?"

Hyunsik narrowed his eyes before his eyes slightly widened, "She lied when you asked her if that was all?"

You looked back at the men and hummed.

'Was there something else Professor Uchida did besides sexually and mentally assaulting your daughter that made you decide to murder him?' You asked, carefully watching the woman's gaze and body language.

'Professor my ass,' Mi Suk rolled her eyes, cursing under her breath, "No, that was all, wasn't it enough for me to kill him?' She stared at you but you didn't show any emotion, just your usual blank face which somehow seems to bother whoever you were interrogating.

Mi Suk was just another person who got angry and killed a person, she won't care so much about what you think or how you were looking at her. You knew she'll feel guilty later and wish she choose another method. She was probably crying before she was brought to the interrogation room. That's what's different from the crazy psychopaths who'll be pissed off if you didn't show them you were scared or intimidated by them.

"No, it was more than enough reason." You commented, immediately receiving a glare from Park Hyunsik, you knew you were supposed to say 'nothing is a good reason to kill someone' but who cares honestly. "Last question, Mrs. Jung............. Did you kill Uchida just because you wanted to or................ someone else told you to?" Fixing your eyes at her, you noticed the slight wide inside them and you immediately received your answer. The same answer you came here to confirm.

"Jung Mi Suk said her daughter was assaulted for five years by the same professor but she only chose to take her own life when she was three months away from graduation this alone is strange." You pointed out, bite your lips then an obvious smirk was placed on your lips without you noticing but the men next to you felt it but didn't want to point it out. "Here's where it gets interesting.............. Who do you think is the student Uchida credit for Hori's graduation note is?"

"Huh?" Taehyung raised an eyebrow. Curiosity is obvious inside his eyes.

"Park Jieun." You smiled answering his unvocal question.

"That's..............WHAT? There's no way" Hyunsik's eyes widened before he run searching the files after he recognized the name, "Park Jieun, 23 Female...... the last victim of the Zodiac!................ The twelfth victim." He read from the paper then looked at the board to what you wrote, "Oh God..................... Jung Mi Suk worked as a housekeeper at Park Jieun's family house, what the fuck?"

"Since they are two different cases we didn't investigate the possibilities of them being connected." Taehyung sighed, disappointed at his and his fellow officers' work. "Could Mi Suk be the Zodiac since she was the last to get captured? We can find out if she had an alibi for the crimes..."

You shook your head, "She isn't," you told him. "Someone else ordered her and the other eleven offenders of the 12 cases to murder....... He or she influenced or ordered them to do the crimes to hide the true motive which is to kill Uchida Yujiro and Park Jieun......... Hori's graduation note was about Takeda Shingen, The Zodiac used Furinkazan and the art of war to murder and avenge Hori using this as an excuse to satisfy his killing fantasy yet not feel guilt. Typical."

"That really makes sense, this all can't be a coincidence," Hyunsik blinked his eyes.

"It makes sense because it's the truth, Park Hyunsik." you rolled your eyes, will he be the jerk everyone turns whenever you point things out? Whatever, who cares.

Little did you know, there was a firefighter smirking behind you, liking how you started to get annoyed at the prosecutor.

"Y-yeah That's what I meant, Detective Kim.......Just .....it is impressive that you could figure all that in a short time." Hyunsik told you, his eyes eyeing you with admiration making Jungkook roll his eyes, "We can start investigating everyone who has a relation to Jung Hori now, it shouldn't take too long to find him or her......."

"Yes, you can start investigating." You nodded. This should be enough.

'That's all you'll say?'

And how is this your problem?

'Don't act this way, Y/N...... The Prosecutor can help you in this one, you don't have to do it by yourself.' Your subconscious told you 'Working alone isn't what you do anymore, even I think your plan is bullshit.'

Do you know what's bullshit? You clenched your jaw. You deciding to come back to mess with my head....................

Yes, the voice of your subconscious was back. You didn't know if that was a good or a bad thing but at the moment you didn't want to hear her. What you were going to do was already hard to decide you don't need any other opinions that can get you questioning yourself. Let alone someone who left when you needed it the most.

'You just couldn't hear me, Y/N I was always here'......................in fact you didn't want to hear me'

Fuck you.

It bothers you, the fact that she's your own inner thoughts bothers you. She should know better that I can't say anything else, at least here.

'I know this room might be wiretapped, Y/N.'

Then shut the hell up.

The reason why you think the room may be wiretapped is, when there are wiretaps around a room, mobile phones get poor reception. And your phone call with Mingyu earlier was why you guessed.

The man texted you after that informing you that he prepared what Taehyung requested for you, you asked the officer next to you a small favor this morning and he prepared it right away, a thing you are grateful for.

You could easily inform Park Hyunsik about that and you'll search for wiretaps around the room but you sat there thinking of the best way to use this for your own good.

If what you think is right and the Zodiac went through all the troubles putting wiretaps to spy on the DA and probably you also, then hearing your thoughts and your next move is something he needs.

'But you just told them everything, he must have heard.'

You smirked. I just said what he wanted to hear.

Fine. Let's play your own game.

.

Park Hyunsik was kind enough to visit that language school with you and the other two since it might be difficult for you to talk and walk around even if you and Taehyung had your badges, some people who actually know the law will ask for a warrant to be asked or searched. But having the prosecutor with you makes everything easy.

"So...... what we know for now is that the offenders all have one thing in common." Taehyung started pointing you his thoughts the moment all of you walked out from the school and entered his car, "They all attended Shin Kyung-sook new book launch party, she's a very famous author and the people who were invited were with high power and statue. Only students from that school could get a ticket to the party because the school is one of the institutes Shin Kyung-sook sponsors." He grabbed the steering wheel as he spoke.

"This might make things worst." Hyunsik asked from the passenger seat, "Detective Y/N said that the killer has access to the police and DA information which means he also has a lot of power or held a high position somewhere, and this new information backs it up.............. The offenders might have met the killer at the party since people with high status were there." He voiced out his thoughts, "Investigating those kinds of people will be a pain in the ass, even meeting them is hard let alone keep an eye on them. I believe the best option is reinvestigating the 12 cases' offenders who we already caught hoping at least one of them can identify the killer since we think they met."

"Well, that's the best option for now." You lied. swallowing your thoughts before looking at Jungkook who had his phone in his hand looking disturbed a little. "Something's wrong?" You whispered to the man sitting next to you as Taehyung and Hyunsik started another conversation about the next move and how the DA office and the Police will work together reopening the case as well as interrogating the offenders again.

"Huh?" he shifted his attention from the phone toward you and gave you a small smile, "Nah it's nothing, Jimin has been texting me, apparently the short leave I took from the fire station ends today."

"Oh right, you have to go now?" You questioned knowing that he can't just quit his job as a firefighter suddenly, of course, that's if he wanted to in the first place. You didn't have the chance to ask him what he'll do next.

He nodded giving you a guilty look, "I am sorry, they are short-staffed." You watched as he placed his phone back inside his pocket before he leaned in and whispered, "I will take tonight's shift, will you be comfortable staying in the Hotel with Taehyung? or should I ask Jin Hyung to stay with you?"

So..... He'll go to work.

Deep inside, you wish he doesn't. There are still possibilities that the Zodiac was targeting him even though you were almost 100 percent he won't get near Jungkook nor you at the moment, but............... You were worried.

You have always trusted your decisions that you made life-threatening actions without a second thought, you never doubted you were wrong, you even get into trouble with everyone who worked with you because of that. You never understand why they were blind to the truth and always gave you a lecture about being reckless.

I wasn't reckless, I was sure.

'You are sure now, why are you doubting yourself then?' She asked but you can feel the smirk and the teasing tone she used. She knows the answer yet she wanted me to say it.

You sighed, "Just be careful, Jungkook." You looked into the man's eyes who had his eyes wide in surprise a little, "I will go to the station with Taehyung and Mingyu, I will probably stay the whole night there as well so.......... Don't worry about me." you told him. Yes, I am worried about him, happy now?

You heard her chuckle but didn't say anything.

You weren't stupid, you knew you were worried about him, how can't you when you sobbed your heart out at the thought of him dead.

"Lie to me, lie to me all you want. Just don't die...........don't leave"

'Fuck Y/N, that's what you said.........Aren't you embarrassed?' She laughed.

Your cheeks heated thinking about it again. I DID....Fuck you. I thought you were there listening?

'I was but still........... Can't believe you said that' She said laughing at you again.

"Fucking shut up." You suddenly said out loud making the three men look at you with confusion, especially Jungkook who froze.

"I.........I a-am sor-"

You blushed, "I w-wasn't talking to you." you immediately looked away toward the window cursing yourself. Fuck you.

"Are you okay, Detective Y/N?" Hyunsik asked.

"Of course, I am. Why wouldn't I be?" you rolled your eyes. Can't someone curse themselves, what's the big deal? "I am not crazy or anything, don't worry."

.

"I will get going them." Jungkook smiled rubbing the back of his neck while you two stood next to the police department after Taehyung drove you. "I will walk to the station since it's not that far, take care of yourself, okay?" he added.

"I will be inside the safest place in the city, worry about yourself and....................... Don't go in any dangerous adventures, you suicide maniac." You tried to joke in an attempt to hide your concern and beating heart, you never knew how disturbing it is to care for someone. How can people do that? How can they carry on their daily lives with this feeling?

'Maybe if he wasn't a firefighter, it will be easier' she agreed with you.

firefighters, police officers, Emergency Medical Technicians, and paramedics, are all considered first responders. Described as a real-life superhero. They're someone whose job is to respond first and immediately when there is an accident or emergency that puts the lives of people in danger, they are people who'll risk their lives to save another. And anyone who chooses this path of life is well aware of that, they put the fear of their own death aside knowing that each day might be their last yet..................... it could also mean someone else's new life.

You are well aware of Jungkook's job but ...................... If...... I m-mean if................. If we get together, I must get used to this feeling every time I watch him leave for work?

"I'd worry about myself if the woman I love isn't following criminals for a living." You watched him sigh. this made you softly smile, the fact that the two of you were thinking the same thing sent warmth to your heart.

He was also worried.

'A one person who goes on and beyond to save lives and the other enjoy playing tag with psychopaths.............. what a couple.' She laughed.

Is it just me or did you become more talkative after coming back from your break?

'He said you are the woman he loves, did you hear that?' She reminded you. Bitch of course I heard I just didn't want to think about it right now, I am fucking blushing enough.

Plus........

I don't know how to respond.

Blushing, you looked at him and smiled, "I won't leave the station I promise." You told the man what you wish to hear from him, "When's your shift over?"

"10 AM tomorrow." He simply answered, "Why?"

"If you won't be tired by then, can we have lunch together? I have something to discuss with you." You cleared your throat and told him. "You can go home to rest right after that." You added, you are well aware that he'll be so tired next the morning, after all, working night shifts is super hard.

He nodded, "Should I be worried? I mean..... about the thing you want to discuss?" He swallowed and you almost laughed at the panicked stare he gave you.

You shook your head walking closer to him, "Just go to work, Jeon Jungkook!" You surprised him to a soft kiss on his cheek before walking away, you didn't even have the courage to wait and see his reaction.

.

.

.

.

"This is the file." Taehyung leaned against the wall of the archive room after placing a case report file up the boxes which were all around the room. "It's what my father left and also what I have been working on for the past four years......... It might not be much but I believe this is what you came here to find!"

You stated at the yellowish file biting your lips, you didn't know whether you want to know what's inside anymore. After knowing Kim Taewook is dead you could easily guess what happened to your parents, what would knowing anything do now? "You have been working a lot it seems............. I mean you know who I was even though I changed my name for the third time." You looked up and told him, the room was empty and silent so your voice came like a whisper, enough for the man to hear but hard for anyone a few meters away to.

"I didn't know it was the third time though!" He crossed his arms over his shoulders and said, "I heard your name from my father, the name Y/N isn't very common let alone a highly intelligent girl with a rude attitude named Y/N ....... I heard a foreign woman started working with Traffic, Y/N a not very nice officer who is a human lie detector......... It was hard not to guess."

"Then you did a little background check, realized from Jin that I couldn't tell Jungkook's lies so you sent him to me."

"Guilty!" He raised both hands in surrounder letting out a small chuckle, the first one directed to you from the man. "I was desperate."

You nodded, "I understand, I would probably do the same!" You returned the smile.

A small pause of silence field the room for a few minutes, as if both didn't know what to do so you just sat there enjoying the quiet-voice.

Taehyung lost his father, yet he was well aware of the events that happened. Kim Taewook was a police officer who died doing his job, maybe it was a little hard for Taehyung the little boy to understand but Taehyung the man can. He can understand that it wasn't anyone's fault but the killer himself, he was ashamed of what he did, he blamed another person who went through his same and maybe worst situations.

And even when he knew he should stop, he didn't.

He blamed you and kept blaming you.

The detective cleared his throat breaking the silence. "You aren't gonna take the file?" Taehyung asked, curious about what's inside your head as you stared at the file with no intention to take it.

He was surprised when you shook your head, "Nah." You simply said. A painfully smile present on your face.

'It's what you have always wanted, Y/N........ right in front of you' She told you but deep down you know she understands your decision even without you saying it out loud.

"My parents are dead, your father is dead...... The real Zodiac was captured and also dead!" You started pointing out your words, "What could dig a closed case bring?"

Taehyung watched you carefully, he would be considered blind if he didn't notice the changes in both your expressions and thoughts. You weren't the crazy officer he'd question your words and actions with his friends anymore, you weren't glaring at him at each chance and you weren't ............Alone. "Do you really love him?" That's all he could think about, nothing happened to you except meeting Jungkook and if he was to tie the threads, a new love was the only reason a woman like you could change.

"What if I do?" You looked up and him and calmly asked, each heartbeat counted as if you needed blood to flow to your brain and control it carefully so it can help you study the man next to you.

Taehyung smiled. "It's not my business, I guess."

"You guessed right, it's not." nodding you let out a sigh and started walking toward the door.

"Good" You heard the man says, his voice close which means he was probably following you.

"Good"

The deep breath you took when closing the archive room's door was very refreshing as if it was the first one you took after years and years of suffocating, knowing that the case file was laying inside ready to be totally forgotten was surprisingly satisfying.

After long days and nights, and years of feeling nothing but empty and tied, yarning to be free, and feeling heavy and jailed all the time, you could finally feel the relief you never thought you could. You never knew letting go is that easy ................ If you knew, if somebody told you that letting go will lead to this feeling you wouldn't believe them.

How can you?

How can you when your whole life was designed to find the truth? Even in your dreams, the voices asked you to find the truth, they told you without it you wouldn't be able to live ..................... but, right now, you're living, right?

You were walking toward your office, ready to work, ready to find a bastard that took many people's lives .......... a bastard that threatened to hurt the man you love.

You felt your teeth clenching at the thoughts.

.

.

To Be Continued .....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 1.1K 24
taehyung finds his mate in some weird arrogant alpha who for no reason stares at him with disgust in his eyes. A mentally tired taehyung with stars...
5.2K 381 46
{į“›į“€į“‡ŹœŹį“œÉ“É¢ x Ź€į“‡į“€į“…į“‡Ź€} "You know what? I'm more than angry. I'm furious. You throw away my feelings like they're nothing. Like I'm nothing. And then you...
251K 8.1K 37
[COMPLETED] I entered the club and after minutes of searching for Jungkook, I finally found him drinking at the bar, alone. I pulled up my mask to...
1.4K 773 24
( COMPLETE ) A Bts Jungkook ff ~ "Y/n, we were both caught up in a web of lies. It's natural to feel regret, but thinking about it too much won't cha...