The Undecided Title Of Sara M...

Oleh Shylowdeath

"You need to know something," said Fili, taking her face in his large warm hands. "You will always have me. E... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1: The Door
Chapter 2: A Most Respectable Hobbit
Chapter 3: Home Invasion
Chapter 4: Quest
Chapter 5: Breakfast and a Bet
Chapter 6: Ink and Earmuffs
Chapter 7: Braids of a Difference Color
Chapter 8: Assumptions
Chapter 9: Swimming
Chapter 10: Kisses, Trolls, and an Argument
Chapter 11: Assessment
Chapter 12: Reconciliation
Chapter 13: On the Run.
Chapter 14: Flee For Your Lives
Chapter 15: Rest
Chapter 16: Heart Sister
Chapter 17: Not Water
Chapter 18: Visitor
Chapter 19: Wandering
Chapter 20: Diplomacy and Visions
Chapter 21: Council and Escape
Chapter 22: Into the Mountains
Chapter 23: Revilation
Chapter 24: Contemplation and Persuasion
Chapter 25: Rain, Rain, Rain
Chapter 26: Down and Out
Chapter 27: Captive
Chapter 28: Comfort and Secrets
Chapter 29: Awake
Chapter 30: Flight of the Dwarves
Chapter 31: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 32: Making Time
Chapter 33: Aftermath
Chapter 34: Teddy Bear Picnic
Chapter 35: Action
Chapter 36: Hidden Truths are Unspoken Lies
Chapter 37: Dark Inhabitants
Chapter 38: Lost and Found
Chapter 39: Pursuit
Chapter 40: Ill Met
Chapter 41: Unwilling Guests
Chapter 42: Stolen
Chapter 43: Arrival
Chapter 44: Reunion and Recuperation
Chapter 45: The Past
Chapter 46: Memories and Letters
Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight
Chapter 48: Manipulation
Chapter 49: Plots
Chapter 50: Foiled Escape
Chapter 51: Under Attack
Chapter 52: Apologies
Chapter 53: Guests
Chapter 54: Unwilling
Chapter 55: Poison
Chapter 56: Compromising
Chapter 57: Statis Quo
Chapter 58: The Mark of Aule
Chapter 59: The Return
Chapter 60: Catching Up
Chapter 61: Crack in the Mountain
Chapter 62: Smaug the Magnificent
Chapter 64: Home at Last
Chapter 65: The Madness of Preparation

Chapter 63: Rescue and Revenge

264 9 9
Oleh Shylowdeath

Sara could see nothing of her dark surroundings as Smaug landed with a heavy thump, stumbling a bit on three legs. He still held her in his talons as he ambled about in the dark, turning in circles before finally settling down. His grip on her loosened but did not let go. She waited for something... anything to happen. Nothing. At last, she could remain silent no longer.

"Where are we?"

"Where else would a dragon return but to his hoard."

There was a sudden brilliant plume of flame overhead that illuminated the room or rather cavern. The space was at least the size of several football stadiums. Scattered over the stone floor and mounted up in great piles lay heaps of untold treasure; glimmering gold, glistening gems of every shape and hew, and glowing metal wrought and unwrought. Light blinked back at Sara from every corner of the room as if some enormous glitter bomb had exploded.

"Rare and wonderful is it not," said Smaug, settling himself more comfortably on the gold as the light began to fade. Drawing her close to his chest he released his hold on her. His scales scraped across the clinking gold as he tucked his tail under his chin so his long body circled the space in which she stood.

"I...I didn't know there was this much... treasure in all the world," she stammered.

"A dwarf's greed and ambition to seek treasure know no bounds." The glow from his mouth eliminated the red and gold scales on his body as he spoke. "Neither does the greed or ambition of a dragon to possess it."

Looking around Sara can see why Thorin and the others were motivated to drive Smaug out, or anyone for that matter. Obviously, there were other powerful motivating factors, but the monetary gain alone was unfathomable. Wars had been fought for much much less.

"And you wonder why Thorin and the others seek revenge," she muttered under her breath, still examining the room despite the dragon before her.

"Not at all," replied Smaug, not catching her sarcasm. "I know all too well why Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, would seek revenge. I still relish the crunch of dwarf bone between my teeth along with the sweet gush of warm blood."

Sara's stomach turned over and her head swam as she remembered the room of skulls. So many lives have been needlessly lost and Smaug spoke as if it were simply the breakfast menu at a diner and he was recommending a particular dish. And all for the lust of gold. Looking around the room again its contents seem to glitter a little less.

"Pondering your demise?" asked Smaug with a sanguine purr. "Your complexion is a shade of green."

"No," she lied. She hadn't been before but with his toothy grin aimed in her direction, she was now. The floor below her rumbled as Smaug chuckled.

"It's no use lying to me. It's written across your face. You fear death."

"Most do, but I was worried about the others."

"As well you should. They will come, though I very much doubt if you will be the reason. No, they shall come for me. For revenge and for gold, for what could they value more than this vast treasure. Your company of dwarves shall make a fine meal and when the dwarf king fails in his mission there will be no others who dare attempt it again."

"Won't you starve eventually?" she asked bitterly, kicking at the coins beneath her feet. "There can't possibly be enough food to sustain you long term."

"Dragons need only eat every fifty years or so if we are primarily dormant. Even without your little group's intrusion into my home, my growing appetite would have woken me soon. I was only too pleased to find six fat ponies just waiting for consumption. Delicious mouthfuls."

"You ate them whole?" asked Sara. Smaug grinned widely, his teeth glistening in the low light.

"Saddles and all, vanished in a single gulp just as I will devour you."

Smaug scooped her closer and pinned her against his chest with a claw as he laid his head down, one gold eye still watching her imperiously. Her heart kicked up a notch again and it was hard to think straight with his claws around her already bruised belly.

"What... what are you doing?" she asked with a tremor.

"I find myself unusually tired after chasing ponies and dwarves all day. I would not want you trying to escape while I slept."

"Wasn't your 50-year nap enough?" The light in Smaug's mouth was fading again.

"I sleep when it pleases me to do so."

"But aren't you afraid of the others attacking you in your sleep?" Smaug snorted dismissively, small flames shooting from his nostrils.

"I do not fear that rabble you call companions. Even if they were a threat a dragon is never truly asleep." He closed his golden eyes and the room faded to black once again. She sat there debating for a tense moment. She wanted to stall his nap as long as she could.

"You're not at all like the other dragons I've heard about," she said into the dark. One golden eye opened.

"I should wonder if you had heard of any dragon other than me. You are far too young to have known another."

"Are you the last in this world?"

"Perhaps," he said. "It matters little. I have this gold and that is all I care for." His eyes closed.

How could she keep his attention, keep him awake so the herbs had more time to truly put him under. Something was poking the back of her neck. Her searching fingers found something sharp stuck under one of Smaug's belly scales. She pried the thing loose with a tug.

"What is that in your hand?" came the invisible voice. "Do you also intend to attempt burglary right under my nose?"

"No," she said, letting the object fall to the coins below with a clatter. "It was stuck under your scale and bruising my neck." She paused an idea according to her. "Do...do you want me to pull out any of the other things that have been caught under your scales? I imagine it can't be comfortable to have it jammed in there?"

"Why would you offer or care?"

"After your trick at the chasm, I don't like the dark at the moment. I would need light to work by. Besides, it would not be the first time a princess served a dragon." A mix of truth, fib, and intrigue.

"I have heard of no such practice," said Smaug skeptically.

"Kazul the king of dragons kept a princess, so why can't you, at least for a little while."

"I know nothing of this pretended King Kazul and you are hardly a princess." But despite his words, there was a glow building in his mouth again. "If you have nothing better to do as you wait for your end you may remove the treasure from beneath my scales."

He freed her and Sara turned to face his belly running her hands over his scales until she found one that was displaced. How long could she drag out this conversation and delay his nap? Where were the others? She had to keep Smaug occupied. The book said dragons, in particular Smaug, could not resist a good riddle. Unfortunately, she didn't know many but a mystery might do the trick just the same. If she could keep him asking questions she might just have a chance. She scoured her mind for dragon references, anything to keep Smaug's attention.

"So do you like gold because it makes a soft yet non-flammable place to sleep?" she asked, pulling free a sapphire as big as her fist. Smaug snorted.

"What would give you that impression? Another of this King Kazul's odd tendencies such as keeping perfectly edible princesses?"

"Actually, I was thinking of Gorbash and Smurggle. That's why they kept treasure hoards."

"That's ridiculous, dragons love gold because it is gold. No other reason."

"I guess it can't be that comfortable to sleep on especially if you get all this treasure caught in your scales." Smaug did not reply and for several long minutes as Sara worked.

"Then again," she said, pulling three large coins from under a scale. "I know plenty of dragons who don't feel a need for treasure."

"Then they are a poor excuse for a dragon," said Smaug, shifting so more of his belly and chest were exposed to her. She watched carefully hoping to spy the empty patch in his chest. No such luck but she did seem to have his attention.

"I don't know," she said, moving several steps closer to his chest. "Toothless didn't want gold and not only could he shoot plasma from his mouth but he was also the king of dragons."

"Also?" scoffed Smaug. "Since when can there be two kings? I have never heard of any of these would-be dragons. They are certainly no kings to me."

"Two kings for two different worlds," she said casually as if telling him the time of day.

"Different worlds? What utter nonsense."

"This world is not the only one out there."

"I take it back, you're not an odd human but a deranged one. There are no other worlds, women, and if there were I would be king, not these pitiful whelps."

"But there are other worlds," she said, working out a stubborn ruby. "That's how I came to be here, through a portal from another world."

"And now you will no doubt claim to have magical powers like some wizard as well."

"I'm no Harry Potter or Merlin," she said, beginning to enjoy the farce. And after all who is to say it wasn't true to some degree. If Tolkien's Middle-Earth was real then why not any other story containing a world.

"I came here because the Valar, Aule and Yavanna, wanted me here. My real power is not power at all but knowledge, especially about this world. I've been to quite a few worlds," she said, thinking of her bookshelf as a child.

"Your pathetic claims about the Valar again," said Smaug looking away. Sara tugged the glove off her left hand and held it up where Smaug could see it.

"This is the birthmark they gave me." Smaug drew closer, examining her hand but remained unimpressed.

"Such symbols have no value or meaning to me, little one. It's a lie."

"Then why can't you enchant me?"

"Because you withhold your true name from me. You do have pluck I'll admit that but it will matter little in the end. Soon you will be dead and no supposed god or dwarf king will prevent that."

"I guess we'll see," she said, her stomach tying itself in knots at his words.

"What could you possibly know that the Valar would value?"

"I know the future."

Smaug burst into a deep rumble of laughter that shook the ceiling and rained dirt and debris on them.

"So, an interdimensional traveler and a soothsayer as well. Much easier to believe you are mad I'm afraid. Mad as the king who I drove out. It's all a lie and not a very well told one at that."

"Why can't it be true?" she asked, her sweaty hands pausing in their work.

"One simple question," said Smaug, bringing his head close to her again so he was almost at eye level. His hot breath wafted over her as his throat glowed. "If you do know the future then why would you allow yourself to be captured? Answer me that."

"Well there are two possible answers," she said, trying to project confidence. She was in fact not at all confident with the dragon's head only feet from her. "Take your pick. Either I'm a fool or I must be so confident in the outcome of our encounter that I would walk into it willingly." Smaug gave what sounded like a huff and smoke blew out his nose hitting her in the face and sending her into a coughing fit.

"I tire of your ungrounded fantasies," he said, pulling back. "There are no happy endings for you. You were doomed with your first step on this mountain."

"But what if you are wrong?" she coughed, her eyes burning. "What if I knew you would die and that I would be the one to walk away alive and whole?"

"Death at your hand," scoffed Smaug. "The audacity of that thought is insulting. How could you accomplish such an impossible task? You have no weapon that could possibly harm me. My coat of scales is impenetrable as I showed your little friend last time he dared to poke his nose through my door. So tell me how would my doom be assured"

"I never said I would be the one to kill you. You can't honestly think you have no enemies."

"I told you, the dwarf king and his hapless entourage are of little consequence. I have dealt with his kind before and will be happy to do so again."

"I wasn't talking about Thorin," she said. "And not the elves of Mirkwood or the descendants of the city of Dale either. Others approach the mountain from the east."

"Who would dare?" snapped Smaug impatiently. "TeIl me for I tire of your endless circles."

"You're not the only one who loves dwarf treasure. You're not the first or the last to have captured a dwarven stronghold. You have been asleep a long time."

"You speak of the orc rabble that took the dwarves' mountains to the east of here. What have they to do with me? Why would I fear them?"

"Maybe not them in particular but more the one they serve," said Sara. She definitely had his attention now, but she was unsure how much to say. "Everyone says there is evil at work in the world again."

"Don't patronize me. I was born from the dark and I have felt its forces at work again. It grows stronger with time."

"Then you know who is behind it, who commands the orcs?"

"I dare say I know much more about him than you. He has a strong presence in your company, one that your little friend is quite oblivious to."

Now he had her full and undivided attention. Was it possible? Did he know about Bilbo? About the ring?

"You know about that?" she asked. Perhaps she had misunderstood him. Smaug drew his head back, his large eyes examining her with a new light. He was silent for a moment before he replied.

"How could I not know what your friend carries? It is made of gold and steeped in darkness. It has a voice that is easy to hear, especially for those who are familiar with it. The question is how did you recognize it? It has been missing for an age."

"I told you, I know things about this world."

"Perhaps," he said. "Few would recognize it for what it is. No doubt Sauron seeks it with great earnest."

"He's not the only one," muttered Sara, thinking of Saruman. Her mind was reeling with the implications of Smaug knowing where the ring was. She was suddenly very grateful that she had been careful not to reveal Bilbo's name or where he was from. The question was, would Smaug try to get it for himself?

"You know what it is," she said. "Don't you want to possess it?"

"While it is no mere trinket, it has little value to me beyond being an addition to my collection. One I fully expect to have in the near future. Your little friend will no doubt come with the others and when he does it will be mine."

Sara grew quiet, her hands working on their own as her mind gambled back and forth trying to make sense of it all. Someone else knew the ring's whereabouts. And Sauron was sure to try and make contact with Smaug. Smaug may even barter the ring or information on its whereabouts to ensure Sauron left him alone.

"You say there is a rabble amassing to the east," said Smaug, bringing her out of her thoughts. "I fail to see what they would want with me."

"What they want with you, the mountain, and the gold," said Sara absently, her thoughts still spinning. "I imagine you have two choices. Either become a willing party to Sauron and his plans or become collateral damage. That's usually the way evil dark lords work."

"You seem to know rather a lot about his intent."

"His suspected intent, but as Gandalf was the one who suspected it, it's most likely right."

"What has the wizard to do with all this?"

"He's the one who encouraged Thorin to go on this quest to take back the mountain. He was afraid of what would happen if Sauron got to you first. We can't afford the mountain going to another who might use its strategic position for evil."

"Any who think I would part with this mountain are fools."

"Then either the world is full of fools or they know something you don't. Your reign over this mountain is drawing to a close one way or another. Even if you did align yourself with Sauron you can't honestly think he would be content to simply let you laze about on your pile of gold. He would spend it to build armies, you would have to fight, and this mountain would become a stronghold for him."

"The mountain belongs to me and I belong to no one," said Smaug. "I will not be parted with it by Sauron or this dwarf king."

"Aren't you afraid of Sauron?"

"He is but a lieutenant to the one who brought dragons to be, a pawn to the greater darkness, and that darkness has not called to me in millennia. Until it does I answer to no one. I have no enemies I need concern myself with." He scooped her close to him with his tail and pinned her against his underbelly. "I tire of your senses prattling and my eyes grow weary. Cease your storytelling."

His eyes closed and he lay his head on the gold. The room went black again.

"But what about your scales?"

His tail twitched around her. Had she stalled him long enough?

"I have lived long with gold in my scales and will continue to do so after you are gone. I desire sleep. Now be silent or I shall eat you so I may rest in peace. Perhaps you would prefer that. You would not have to contemplate your doom in the dark."

Perhaps she had pushed him as far as was wise. "I'll be quiet," she said.

"See that you are." Snorting, Smaug sent a burst of flames from his nose.

Sara remained as still as she could, the dark pressing in on every side as the dragon's breath deepened. The tapered end of Smaug's tail was almost as big around as her waist and extremely heavy. For the second time that day, she felt her legs grow cold with numbness. Despite her discomfort Sara tried to remain as still as possible, only occasionally wiggling her ankles in a vain attempt to restore circulation to her toes. Her little twitches didn't seem to bother Smaug who, save for his breathing, had not moved since pinning her.

Sara sighed and leaned back against the dragon, her mind whirring. Where were Thorin and the rest of the company? Had anyone been hurt by Smaug when he struck the mountainside? How long had she been gone? How long had it been since Smaug had eaten the ponies?

Something was jabbing into her thigh. Gold may be comfortable for dragons to lay on but certainly not her. Would it hurt to be gobbled up by the dragon? Surely death at Smaug's jaws was preferable to death at the hands of Azog or his son. More death and less torture. Hadn't Bofur said something about it once to Bilbo? Something about a poof of flames and then being ash. No time for pain. Or did that only apply to being burned alive? She shivered, disliking her spiraling thoughts. It would not come to that... she hoped.

She sat there in the dark for a measureless amount of time, trying and largely failing to chase off dark thoughts. Thorin and the others would come for her. She would get out of this. She had to. That thing jabbing her thigh was really bothering her. She dug her hand into the gold under her leg and removed a jagged ruby. It was a beautiful deep red. Like blood. She froze. It was a ruby. She can see it in her palm.

All at once, she became aware of the heat and light that emanated from Smaug's underbelly. He was glowing faintly. Her surroundings had changed so slowly that she had not noticed it before now. Was Smaug supposed to be glowing like that? And he was warm, really warm. His breathing had changed as well. Instead of the long steady puffs of air, Smaug's belly rose and fell rapidly and shallowly. That could not be right. Was it the drugs? It must be. It reminded her of how Kili breathed when he had been sick in Lake-Town. The glowing must be a dragon thing. There was sweat dripping down her back where it pressed against his belly. Just how asleep was Smaug?

Hesitantly she began to dig gold coins and gems out from under her legs. At first, others slid in to replace the ones removed but soon she was making headway. She watched Smaug for any sign that he noticed her movement. Nothing. She grew bolder, wriggled her legs as she scooped away treasure by the handful. At last, blood rushed gloriously back to her toes restoring heat along with the inevitable pins and needles. In a few more minutes she had moved enough of the gold to pull her legs out from under the dead weight of Smaug's tail. She stumbled to her feet reaching to steady herself on Smaug's belly but instantly recoiled. His scales were not just hot but burning. Light was emanating from his glowing scales like a bed of embers in the night.

Carefully she climbed over his tail but he slept on. Coins jangled under her feet as she descended the mountain of gold. Not a twitch from Smaug. She needed to find the others. The only problem was which way should she go? She bit her lip as she scoured the dark edges of the room looking for an exit. Even if she knew which way to go she could not see to find the way. She wished idly for an elven lamp or stone necklace like Legolas. If she ever met them again she would ask but as it was, the odds didn't look to be in her favor.

The way she had come with Smaug was out of the question. Even if she could remember the way she would not be able to scale back up the chasm Smaug had pushed her into. Besides the passageways that way were large enough to allow Smaug to chase her down should he wake. What she needed was a smaller place to retreat to, one where Smaug could not follow. Anything would be better than just waiting here for him to wake.

She squinted into the edge of the room hoping to find a likely spot. Ideally, it would be a place where she could stay and be able to monitor Smaug as the herbs took their final effect. If she wandered too far from the treasure room she was sure to become hopelessly lost and the others would come looking for her here. Best to stay close. Just not too close. She made her way down the hill of gold as quietly as she could, determined to find such a place. She would start in that dark corner to her left.

She was on the outer edge of Smaug's red glow when something leaning against a large ornate chest caught her attention. Picking her way across the jewel-encrusted floor she took the elegant but heavy weapon in her hand. An ornate spear, heavy but sturdy. Not quite the staff she was accustomed to but she felt better just having it in her hands. As if sensing this, Smaug suddenly rumbled in his sleep and rolled further onto his back revealing a white-hot prick in the sea of red and gold of his belly.

An idea flitted through Sara's head as Smaug settled again, glowing brighter than before. No, it was a foolhardy idea. She needed to find shelter. Then again, when would such an opportunity present itself again? She shook her head. It was a stupid idea. The herbs had taken effect and Smaug was on the way out. Wasn't he? But what if that wasn't entirely true? What if he recovered? What if rising his temperature was his body's way of burning off the effects of drugs like a fever. There was no way to know exactly how they would affect him and how he would react and she had the perfect opportunity right here, right now. She could not pass it up. What if he recovered and in the attempt to rescue her someone else was hurt? Or killed? More dead empty eyes like Ruven's.

Her fist tightening around her weapon she turned to tread carefully back to Smaug hoping he did not roll over again. Her feet were heavy as she approached. Heatwaves danced in the air above Smaug's belly. Below the scales, he glowed from within as though a fire licked the inside of his ribs. Careful to be as quiet as possible she approached the bare spot on his left breast, a brilliant white-pink path just above eye level. It was like she could almost see his heart beating inside his chest, pulsating and bulging slightly in the bare spot. The heat rolling off Smaug was sweltering and stinging sweat dripped into her eyes. Pressing her thumb to the tip of the spear she was gratified when it came away with a bead of blood. She only hoped it was enough. How deep was his heart anyway? She would have to be very precise and very forceful.

Wiping the sweat from her face as best she could she took her stance, preparing to throw all her weight into the attack as Dwalin and Nori had shown her. She bounced on the balls of her feet ready to charge but hesitated as her eyes drifted up over the prostrate form of Smaug. She could not deny that he was the most magnificent of all the creatures she had yet to encounter in Middle-earth, a mountain of raw power and force even in this weakened state. He was the last of the dragons. Was she truly capable of ending such a being, for there was no doubt he was more than a beast?

And there it was, he was not a beast. A beast though terrible in its dumb rage could also be pitied in the end. A beast was a creature driven by habit and nature, a product of its surroundings and makeup. Not so with Smaug. He may have a body of a beast, but he was intelligent, she dared to think extremely so, even if he was blinded by pride and his own perceived invincibility. The fact still remained that he had chosen to take this mountain, not been driven to it.

He had chosen, plotted, to ambush and kill Thorin's people. All those people. An awful thought grew in the back of her mind. Smaug might have even killed Thorin's mother. Whether he had or not, countless lives lay buried, and unburied, under his bloody claws. Not only that, he meant to go on adding to that tally. All for gold. Gold and an appetite for violence and cruelty. Perhaps Smaug and Azog we're not so very different in the end.

And he knew about Bilbo and the ring. It was too dangerous to just leave him here. If he somehow managed to recover from the herbs and escaped the mountain then it was only a matter of time until Sauron would know of the ring's whereabouts. Bilbo would be in danger. They all would be.

Smaug gave a rumbling growl, his tail twitching and Sara's heart jolted into overdrive. Smaug's head began to rise, his eyes cracking open ever so slightly. It was now or never for he was sure to kill her if he found her here, poised to strike. Trying to ignore the fear pumping through her with every exaggerated beat of her heart she gripped the spear and forced herself to focus on the white empty patch of flesh.

"Sara look out!" screamed Thorin's voice from somewhere in the darkness. She looked up trying to find where he was but instead saw Smaug's head rearing higher, his eyes fully open and locked on her. His head snaked toward her drunkenly, mouth dripping liquid fire. Panic shrugged and she burst into action, leaping forward to drive the spear into Smaug's chest.

Even as Smaug reared back roaring in pain Thorin knew Sara's attack had not been enough. The shaft was half-buried inside the dragon but the beast was truly immense. Blood thudded in Thorin's ears as he searched the ground below for Sara. There! She was there! Smaug writhed about narrowly missing Sara who had dropped the ground, her arms thrown over her head in a feeble attempt to protect herself.

"Sara, get out of there!" shouted Bard to Thorin's right.

No matter the arguments that were made, Bard had insisted that he be the one to accompany Thorin in his part of the plan. At last, Thorin relented. Once everything was in place and the others lay in wait Thorin and Bard had set off for the treasure vault in search of Smaug and Sara. They were to find Sara, get her away from Smaug with the aid of Bofur and Airidan if necessary, and then goad Smaug into following them to the entrance hall. Thorin led the way through the familiar maze of tunnels to the treasury, the two of them periodically leaving lit torches to mark the path back.

But when they crept into the treasury it was to find an unexpected scene. Smaug was asleep, his belly aglow but there was no sign of Sara. Bard leapt to the conclusion that it was too late, Smaug had eaten Sara. Admittedly Thorin's mind strayed in the same direction but he was unwilling to give up the search before it had truly begun. Needing a higher vantage point, they climbed to the top of a broken staircase that protruded up out of the massive mounds of gold. There they crouched in the shadow of a half-crushed arch like giant upright bats, searching the room below for any sign of Sara.

To their immense relief, they soon spotted her cresting the mountain of treasure, a spear clutched in her hands. Thorin immediately knew her intent but neither he nor Bard dared call out to her for fear of rousing the dragon and alerting him. Thorin agonized as Sara delayed the strike, hoping against hope that she would turn away, and for a few moments, he thought she would. Then Smaug began to stir and forced Sara's hand.

"Where is she?" cried Bard, his nails scraping the stone beneath them with worry. "We need to get down there!"

Bard's looked as though he was about to throw himself from their high perch in search of his daughter but Thorin caught his shoulder and pointed. Far below them, Sara was running pell-mell down the mountain of gold, slipping and stumbling on loose coins. Behind her, Smaug's head snaked out, jaws wide and slathering.

"Here Sara," came a shout from across the expansive room. Airidan and Bofur were sprinting across the room, Airidan in the lead, weapons drawn.

"Here ya great snake," called Bofur trying to draw the dragon's attention. "Come and get me ya great beastie!" But Smaug was focused solely on Sara and in moments he would have her.

"Here Smaug!" called Bard. In a blur of motion, he pulled the bow from over his shoulder, notched an arrow, and let it fly. The tip struck the beast's head but ricocheted off without leaving so much as a scratch. Sara stumbled forward making her way to shelter beneath another of the broken protruding staircases. Bard notched another arrow.

"Aim for the eye," said Thorin, catching Bard's arm as Smaug passed by. Without a word, Bard adjusted slightly and loosed. The arrow struck home in Smaug's left eye socket just in time to bring the beast up short and miss Sara's foot as she drove for cover. Smaug reared back roaring in pain and frustration, thrashing about wildly. Airidan was converging on Sara's position but just before he reached her, Smaug's tail came down in a powerful blow on the bit of staircase Sara was hiding under, cracking the stone around her.

"Sara!" Thorin's heart stopped.

Without realizing what he was doing he was flying down the stairs, skipping the last flight, and leaping down onto the gold. He raced to the pile of rubble where Sara had been moments before, Airidan arriving only seconds later. Together they frantically moved aside the debris searching for Sara. Above them Bard was trying to keep Smaug's attention, shooting arrows as Bofur attempted the same from the ground to much lesser effect. Thorin was numb as he heaved stone after stone to the side, praying for a sign of Sara but dreading what he might find.

"She's here but unconscious," called Airidan, shoving aside a rock with a grunt. In an instant, he was there helping the elf clear a path. To his immense relief, Sara was sheltered beneath what little was left of an arch. They pulled her free of the wreckage, careful not to injure her further. There was blood trickling down her face but her body was not mangled. Airidan cracked open one of her eyes and held a finger to her neck. Her chest rose and fell although she remained unconscious.

"She'll be alright," confirmed Airidan, moving her hair aside to examine the cut near the top of her scalp. "Her injury is minor though she will have a pounding headache when she awakes." Smaug let out another roar as Bard sunk yet another arrow into his already mangled left eye.

"Is she well enough to move?" The elf nodded, ripping a strip of cloth from his tunic to wind hastily around her head. "Take her to safety. We will deal with Smaug."

"I will watch after her," assured Airidan, carefully lifting her small limp form into his arms before turning to run back the way he had come, Bofur breaking off to follow and protect them. Thorin returned his attention to Smaug trying not to think of the blood on Sara's face. She had done well, but the dragon remained.

Bard shouted a curse as Smaug's head struck out at him like a giant snake forcing him to jump or be eaten. Luckily the gold piled around the broken staircase caught him, slowing his momentum to a steep slide rather than a plummet.

"This way," called Thorin, motioning to Bard as Smaug reared back once again. Suddenly Thorin was all too aware that Smaug's good eye was trained on him.

"You," hissed the dragon, ichor dripping from his wrent left eye.

"Why are you surprised oh Smaug the ponderous, you bid me come and so I have," called Thorin, injecting a bravado into his voice that he was far from feeling. Bard stumbled over the loose gold and came to stand beside Thorin. Smaug hissed at him, his jaws dripping liquid fire.

"Who are you to dare draw a bow on me?"

"I am the father of the woman you carried off and the last descendant of Lord Girrion of Dale who you slew 150 years ago."

"I will see both your peoples in ruins," spat Smaug. "If I have to fly to the western sea you will all pay dearly for your actions here today."

"We have already paid too great a cost," said Thorin. "You destroyed our homes, devoured our people, and drove us out. You took one we love. We are here for retribution. Your day of reckoning is at hand."

"You think you can take me? Me!" laughed Smaug. "You may have injured my eye but you will be long dead by the time it is whole. You were a fool to come here to me. You have no hope of escape."

"Poor slow worm," said Thorin, his heart racing as he goaded the dragon on. "We have already won. Even now your body is weakened and you are not long for this world. You have lost. You have grown fat and stupid in your dotage, little better than an oozing creeping slug."

"A slug am I," roared Smaug. "Then perish by this slug's breath for you have tried my patience beyond endurance!"

"Down," called Thorin, dragging Bard to take shelter behind a large chunk of stone. Smaug's chest swelled as he prepared to spew fire but something was wrong. Smaug began to convulse arching over like some enormous reptilian cat about to expel a hairball. To Thorin's disgust that was indeed what happened. With several gut-wrenching heaves, the dragon opened his mouth and splattered the contents of his stomach out across glittering gold at their feet. Large chunks of hairy flesh in roughly equestrian shapes slipped through the ooze and down the mountain of gold. No doubt Smaug had eaten the ponies, all six of them. The smell was beyond endurance, burning the inside of Thorin's lungs and making his own stomach revolt. He drew his arm up so his sleeve would cover his mouth and nose.

"What have you done to me!" roared Smaug, long ropy tendrils of viscous bile dripping from his jaws.

"Your own greed and appetite did this," called Thorin through his sleeve, his eyes watering.

"You have bewitched me, put me under a curse," cried the dragon, stumbling around as though he could not see straight. "How dare you. No magic may hold me."

"And so none was used. The ponies were loaded with drugs. What a stupid gluttonous creature you've become, not even prudent enough to smell your food when you knew there were enemies about." He glanced sideways but could not see Airidan, Sara, or Bofur. They must have retreated up the secret tunnel.

"You dare mock me," growled Smaug, his head weaving from side to side drunkenly. "I am king! King Under the Mountain!"

"You were never King Under the Mountain," roared Thorin, his temper flaring. "This kingdom was built by my people, dwarves ruled by my grandfather and no usurper will rule here while I yet draw breath. I am Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror and I have come to reclaim my home, the birthright of my people. You are but a witless worm."

Smaug gave an almighty roar and lunged toward them. Having gained the dragon's utmost attention and ire, Thorin promptly turned and fled the treasure vault, Bard at his side, Smaug blundering drunkenly after them.

"Did you have to make him quite so angry?" panted Bard as the two of them rounded a sharp corner just outside the treasury. A spurt of flame filled the hallway they had just vacated, the heat washing over their backs as they ran. Smaug seemed not to have fully recovered his senses yet.

Thorin didn't waste breath replying but rather focused on the path ahead. He glanced behind. They had to be sure Smaug would follow them but also be equally careful not to get caught. This was unfortunately much easier said than done. He was immensely glad they had left the burning torches to light the way as it allowed him to focus on escape rather than navigation through halls he had not seen since his childhood. There was only one part of the route that worried him, the ascent up the chasm where coal had been mined. There were many stairs and Smaug was sure to catch them. Or perhaps not.

"He's gaining on us," said Bard as they sprinted into a long corridor lined with pillars.

Smaug came tearing around the corner after them, smashing through two large columns before righting himself, overcorrecting and taking out three more pillows to his right. There was no doubt the dragon was not at his finest. So much the better, as long as Smaug didn't destabilize the entire mountain and bring it down around all their ears. He just as soon not join the beast in death. Smog stumbled and staggered after them, spitting intermittent bursts of flame that were growing larger by the minute, his inability to produce a dependable flame only adding to his ire. That was good, much of their plan hinged on Smaug's stupidity, rage, and weakness.

"This way," called Thorin, seizing Bard's arm and pulling him out onto a small balcony that overlooked the bottom of the coal mine which lay several hundred feet below. The stairs wound their way up the cliff face to the left but Smaug was upon them, his claws leaving great gouges in the floor as he tore after them.

"Where now?" urged Bard as they backed further toward the edge of the chasm.

"Jump," said Thorin, pointing to the enormous bucket full of coal that hung a few feet below.

The buckets were strung on a great chain and pulley system had been used to bring coal from the bottom of the mine to the refinery above to fuel the furnace. Bard didn't hesitate, simply leapt out and caught hold of the chain sliding down till he was in the bucket. Kicking the lever on the edge of the balcony Thorin leapt after him, catching the bucket just below his. The enormous buckets of coal zipped upward leaving Smaug's jaws to snap closed on empty air where they had been just moments before. The dragon burst from the side of the cavern shaking ruble from his body as he took to the air climbing after them with rapid pulses of his wings, a manic madness in his blazing gold eyes. They sped past the lip of the cavern and following the chain moved along the ceiling toward a coal chute. Smaug clawed his way out of the pit frothing and flaming at the mouth.

"Brace yourself," called Thorin as they shot toward the large empty hopper, their buckets beginning to tip. Bard disappeared first as the bottom of his bucket snagged on the hook dumping him forward into the funnel. A few moments later Thorin followed him down the chute, sliding into a tunnel dark as pitch, Smaug's fire and a large amount of coal behind him. He slid, picking up coal dust as he went hoping the end of the shoot was open. But in a matter of seconds, his hopes were confirmed and he toppled out onto a growing pile of coal. He rolled out of the way of the avalanche behind him.

"Where are we?" asked Bard, spitting black dust before reaching to help Thorin to his feet.

"The refinery," he said, spying the glow of a torch in the distance, his eyes adjusting to the dim light. "This way and keep quiet. Smaug may be anywhere."

He guided Bard through the dim light, uncomfortably aware Smaug could be virtually invisible in the dark. He glanced at Bard and grinned. The two of them were almost invisible in the gloom. The trip through the coal chute had left them for all intents and purposes entirely black save the whites of their eyes and teeth. So much the better. Still, he would feel better knowing for sure where Smaug was. Better being chased by a slathering flaming beast in the light then stalked by an invisible serpent in the dark. Cautiously they made their way around to the long-abandoned carts of gold and ores, approaching the torch that stood in the hallway outside. They were getting closer to the entrance hall, only a handful of halls and rooms left.

"Where is Smaug?" whispered Bard. They had reached the torch in the hallway but hesitated to leave the refinery. Thorin poked his head out into the doorway as Bard notched another arrow in his bow. "You suppose he went back after the others?" Thorin shook his head.

"Even if he had, both Airidan and Bofur will have Bilbo and Sara well out of Smaug's reach by now," he whispered.

"Could he have followed the torches and we are now behind him?"

The hallway was empty save for the glow of a torch in either direction. There was no sign of Smaug, but by now the worm no doubt knew his way around the mountain. It was far too quiet for his liking. He would not have thought such a large creature could move so quietly.

"Only one way to find out," said Thorin, creeping out into the hallway, his senses on high alert.

They crept along their trail of torches towards the front gates, silent as the dead, ears and eyes searching the gloom for any hint or whisper of movement in the shadows. They passed six torches before stopping at the entrance to a large empty room supported by row upon row of pillars. Where Thorin clearly remembered leaving a burning torch they were met with only darkness.

"We may have just found our missing dragon," said Bard, his voice hardly louder than a breath.

Thorin could not help but agree with him, little though the idea pleased him. He debated a few moments, surveying the dark recess of the room ahead. There was no way around this room, it was the only way back to the entrance and unfortunately, it was a perfect place for Smaug to lay in wait for them. Thorin groaned within himself, not at all happy with their prospects but they had to draw the dragon out and if that required them being bait then so be it. Bard seemed to have come to the same conclusion and stooped to grasp the torch at their feet, handing it to Thorin before drawing an arrow into place. In turn, Thorin drew Orcrist knowing it would be of little help against Smaug but liking the feel of the bone hilt in his hand nonetheless.

"We take it at a run, straight across," whispered Thorin. Bard nodded, the torchlight making his white teeth stand out like a beacon in his soot-smeared face. "Keep your eyes moving and remember he could be above us."

"An unnerving notion," said Bard grimacing. "Let's get it over with."

"Very well," said Thorin, nodding. "Now!"

Together they put on a sudden burst of speed, fear and uncertainty dogging their every step, pushing them forward with greater urgency. The further into the room they went the less Thorin liked it. They ran, weapons at the ready, searching the darkness for any sign of the dragon all while avoiding the rubble and broken pillars that occasionally blocked their path. The dark room seemed to stretch endlessly into nothing in all directions.

At last, they reached the extinguished torch that signaled they were midway through the large room. Still, no sign of Smaug but with every step Thorin grew more certain they were not alone in the chamber. There was the faint glow of a torch lighting a doorway in the distance on the far side of the room. Thorin kept his eyes trained on the exit as he hastened forward, but to his dismay, a large shape moved to block out the distant light.

"Bard, stop," called Thorn, reaching for him. Bard froze and looked back at him, resignation washing his face.

"The dragon?"

A blast of air buffeted them, the force of it robbing the breath from their lungs. The torch sputtered and died. Bard cursed loudly. The room pressed in on them as a deep rumbling laugh rolled out from all directions, echoing off the stone walls.

"Where is it?" hissed Bard, a rustling sound suggesting he was rifling through his pockets.

"He is is between us and the exit." But a moment later the distinct torch popped back into existence. Smaug was on the move, but where? All in all, Thorin preferred being hunted by the spiders of Mirkwood.

Bard muttered a word in Elvish and a moment later they were washed in the red glow of an elvish lamp. Bard held the fist-sized orb high illuminating a small space around them. Something moved to the right and seizing Bard they dashed forward toward the exit. There was a mighty roar to their right and Smaug appeared out to the gloom charging them. The blast of flame was more than adequate to spur them on to greater speed. The dragon's flames were growing in size and Smaug seemed to have recovered enough from his delirium to chase them with intent and purpose. His actions were more fluid than they had been before. Were the drugs wearing off somehow? They dashed out of the dark room and careened around the corner into the hallway, small bursts of flame flying from Smaug as he slithered after them.

"He's gaining on us," bellowed Bard.

"Through here!"

He yanked Bard sideways through a doorway to the left, a jet of fire blowing past the opening behind them. It was a long narrow room filled with toppled tables and chairs, their upturned legs strewn with cobwebs and the dust of ages. Smaug crashed through the wall behind them, blowing rubble across the room. Covering their heads they dashed for the far side of the room and the exit and moments later they were back in the hallway. They managed to round the next corner before the dragon was able to wright himself and had nearly turned the next before they saw him behind them again.

"Almost there," called Thorin, looking over his shoulder. They had two more hallways and then the throne room before they reached the front entrance. He pushed himself harder, willing himself to move faster than the dragon. The hallways were only just larger than Smaug and somewhat hampered his movements, but in the throne room, he would gain that ground back in the empty space. His lungs felt as though he had breathed in Smaug's fire and his legs burned as he pushed them. They were almost there and had gained a substantial lead on the dragon. The hallways passed in a blur of heartbeats and they were suddenly running across the open throne room and making for the front entrance hall. As he predicted Smaug was making up for lost ground in this open space. Seizing his chance Smaug leapt forward and took to the air in a shallow glide, his jaws wide. He was on top of them now, but the others were only a few hundred feet ahead. Mahall willing Dwalin and the others were ready.

"Close your eyes!" said Bard urgently, clutching the elvish lamp. "And tell the others as well." Not sure what Bard was about Thorin nevertheless did as he bade. Speaking in dwarvish he shouted ahead to the others to cover their eyes.

Smog's jaws snaked toward them, hot and dripping as he roared in triumph, his claws outstretched to seal their doom. In a blur of motion, Bard raised the elf lamp high over his head and closing his eyes hurled it at the ground. Thorin only just closed his eyes and turned his head in time for the world to flash a brilliant and blinding white. Even with his eyes closed his vision was still spotty when he opened them again. Smaug reared back, roaring, his intact pupil shrunk to a minuscule split.

Seizing their advantage he and Bard dashed into the entrance hall, the light of the setting sun shining blindingly through the shattered doorway ahead. Thorin's eyes raked over the room and he was pleased to find all was in place, the rest of the company ready to spring into action the moment Smaug emerged through the archway.

Spotting Balin and Dwalin hidden behind a pillar to his left, Thorin dove to take shelter with them as Smaug smashed through the entrance hall with all the subtlety of an earthquake. The dragon staggered about, his vision still skewed coupled with the remaining effects of the herbs. Thorin watched Smaug's foot placement with bated breath. One foot was in place, now another, and another. Dori and Nori snuck around behind the dragon.

"You can't hide from me," said Smaug in a half roar. "I will find you. You have no chance of escape."

One more foot, one more step, but Smaug paused when he saw none of the company in ready sight. He looked about to retreat back

"Why do you hesitate Smaug the Great," called Thorin, stepping out where the dragon would see him. "Or are you truly Smaug the Cowardly, Smaug the Slothful, or Smaug the Slug? Too afraid to pursue your dinner."

"You're not even worthy of consumption," growled Smaug. "Better fit for crushing in my claws."

"Then come and get me," challenged Thorin. Smaug let loose a pillar of fire and Thorin was forced to dive to one side, his back searing painfully though he was a fair distance from the flames.

"Now," shouted Nori from the other side of the room.

Great loops of heavy chain sprang from the dust and rubble that hid them and tightened around Smaug's four legs as a net of chain fell from above pinning his wings to his side. The crank that had once operated the front gate was now jury-rigged to crank the slack chain and pull the dragon's legs tight against the four pillars he stood between. The company rushed forward and secured the net to the enormous pillars supporting the cavernous roof above as Dwalin and Balin wheeled the heavy iron wind lance out from behind the pillar and into the open.

Smaug struggled, roaring and blasting flame and it was all the company could do to avoid the flames and flailing limbs as they secured the dragon. Balin locked the wheels of the cart in place as Dwalin pulled back the bolts of the wind lance.

"I thought you said these had cranks on them," said Dwalin, grunting as he pulled back the last of the four iron limbs and attached it to the slide. Thorin and he heaved and only just managed to pull it back far enough to hear the satisfying click of the lever as it fell into place.

"It must have been one of the earlier models," said Balin. "This is all we have."

"Let's hope its aim is true," shouted Thorin over the din of the dragon's fury as he fitted one of the three long iron arrows into place. Dwalin situated himself behind the lance ready to fire the moment an opening presented itself.

At first, Thorin had worried that the chains would not be strong enough to hold the dragon but the chain links held. The weak link in their plan was the pillars the chains were attached to, for they had been designed to withstand the crushing pressure from above not the strength of a dragon pulling on them. The mountain trembled as Smaug strained against his tethers causing great chunks of rock to fall from above.

"Take cover!" called Thorin and the majority of the others dove for shelter.

Something whizzed past Thorin and narrowly missed Smaug's thrashing tail as it ricocheted off the ceiling. Dwalin cried out in pain and Thorin spun to see him cradling his left hand to his chest. His two smallest fingers were missing.

"Dwalin," cried Balin, rushing to his brother.

"I'll be alright," said Dwalin, impatiently waving him away. "A rock fell on the trigger and the bolt took my fingers. I'll be fine. Is the lance damaged?" Hesitantly and unhappily Balin examined the weapon.

"It's fine," he assured.

"Load it again," said Dwalin, grimacing as he reached for another arrow with his uninjured hand. "That beast will wait for no one."

Together Thorin and Balin drew back the bolt and Dwalin fitted a shaft in place. Chunks of stone rained down on them and a fist-sized stone clipped Thorin's shoulder where the warg had bit him sending a shooting pain down his arm.

"Steady," said Dwalin as Balin readied himself to fire.

"Now!" said Thorin, seeing opening as Smaug began to lift himself off the ground, the columns around him trembling with his strength. Balin let the shaft fly but long before it struck and rebounded Thorin knew it was no use. The bent shaft of Sara's spear was still sunk in the dragon's chest blocking their arrow.

"What is that?" asked Dwalin, not taking his eyes off the dragon before them.

"Sara," said Thorin. "She fancied herself a dragonslayer while Smaug lay asleep at her feet. If not for her lack of strength she would be. The spear is still embedded in his chest."

"I might have known," said Dwalin, with a grim grin as he angled the cart to the left with a heave."

"We need to remove it if we are to get a clean shot," said Balin, pulling the arms of the launce back again. There was a loud crack and the pillar that had been holding Smaug's tail snapped, crumbling in great chunks down on Bifur and Bombur. A large stone caught Bombur on the head and Bifur was forced to drag his cousin out of harm's way as Smaug's tail thrashed about wildly.

"I'll do it," said Thorin, jumping off the cart.

"No, let me go," said Dwalin, catching his arm.

"The task requires two whole hands and we are running out of time. We can't hold him down much longer. Stay and help Balin. This is our last shot. It must be true."

Before either of the brothers could argue further Thorin dashed forward, avoiding an errant spurt of flame. By now Smaug had lifted himself so far off the ground that the spear was well out of reach. This would require a unique approach. Thorin snuck through the shadows around to the side where Oin and Gloin were trying to attach the chains that held Smaug's wing to some of the farther pillars.

Steeling himself and hoping this was not his last foolish act he stepped onto Smaug's wing, quickly scaling the thickest membrane close to the bone. Beneath his feet the dragon shifted and strained, making it difficult to keep his balance. The beast's head turned in his direction but the mangled eye was blind. Thorin had no delusions, Smaug was aware of him and he was not pleased. Toothy jaws snapped toward him and he was forced to jump to Smaug's back only just in time to avoid Smaug's teeth. He scrambled further up the scaly back, making for his left shoulder.

Below Dwalin and Balin had the wind lance ready to fire. Steading himself, Thorin spotted the bent shaft of Sara's spear some 15 ft below. Smaug's movement was erratic and frantic, making it difficult to balance on the dragon's slippery shoulder. One of the pillars to the right suddenly gave way, crumbling under the strain, and Smaug's right wing was free. Now or never. Quickly gauging the distance Thorin leapt over Smaug's shoulder and caught the protruding shaft of the spear. Smaug roared in pain and rage, thrashing about, pulling his other wing free along with a back leg. The others were forced to abandon their attempts at restraint as the ceiling came down in yet bigger chunks.

Planting his feet squarely on either side of the spear Thorin gripped the shaft and pulled. It slid about half a foot. There must still be two feet of iron buried in the dragon's chest. He heaved again with similar results. The talons of Smaug's right wing slammed into him, knocking the breath from his lungs as the dragon tried to scrape him away like an irritating bug. Thorin tightened his grip and braced for a final time. The spear slid out, scraping against the surrounding scales, and at last, was free. Thorin braced as he fell to the stone floor below. He hit with a sickening smack, his vision spotting for a moment. He attempted to roll over but before he could move another pillar gave and there was a sudden crushing weight pressing down on his chest. He was pinned under Smaug's foot, utterly motionless, unable to even reach for his blade.

"You presumptuous little rock sucker," growled the dragon, his remaining good eye trained on Thorin from above. "All of you! You thought you could slay me? Me!" The air was pressed from Thorin's chest as Smaug leaned further over him.

"You...you left us with no alternative," coughed Thorin, wheezing. The pain in his chest was growing with each passing second. Blood seeped lazily from the open wound on the dragon's chest falling to the ground in great droplets.

"You have failed! Now you shall join the rest of your people in my belly."

Something inside Thorin's chest snapped and shooting pains wrapped around his chest, leaving a nauseating hollow sensation in its persistent wake.

"We will finish you," hissed Thorin with the last of his breath. His lungs cried out for air.

Smaug's face drew so close that Thorin had an excellent view down his throat as he spoke. "You would never have been able to defeat me," said Smaug, his gold eye seeming to see right through him. "Even if you had managed to slay me you would never have been fit to rule this mountain. You carry His madness with you as did your predecessors." Smaug relieved the pressure and Thorin was able to suck in an excruciating breath.

"I am not my grandfather or father," he hissed. "Their mistakes are not mine."

Smaug laughed. "The madness is with you even now. You are doomed and you don't even know it! But I will spare you the shame. Your end is now." Smaug's jaws stretched wide and Thorin braced himself for the end, unable to resist as the sweltering maw drew nearer, calling for his life. The dragon's tongue snaked out to meet him but in the blink of an eye Smaug was roaring with pain yet again, a long arrow sunk right through his dark purple tongue.

"Oy! Ya great lizard! Over here!" Dwalin and Bard stood off to the side drawing the dragon's attention. "Ya great ugly beast, chew on this!"

There was a twang and a gathump. Air rushed blessedly back into Thorin's lung as Smaug reared back, clawing at his chest where the heavy iron shaft had buried itself deep in his flesh far beyond retrieval. Nori and Bifur were suddenly at his side, hauling him to his feet and out of harm's way as Smaug thrashed wildly. Fire spewed from the dragon's mouth and out through the shattered front gate. With a ground rending crash, Smaug fell forward, splintering the wind Lance and narrowly avoiding Balin as he leapt from the cart and dashed for cover with his brother.

Smaug lay there twitching and convulsing. All grew extraordinarily quiet as the beat of the great heart slowed. They crouched in the shadows for many long minutes as the labored seconds marked the dragons ebbing life force. The ...beat... ...beat... ...beat... of the heart was now so slow that Thorin was surprised each time subsequent pound resonated in the dragon's chest. The cavern was stable, though missing large swathes of stone from the ceiling and among the ruin and rubble lay Smaug, utterly still. Cautiously the company emerged from their hiding places and drew closer, being sure to stay just out of range of tooth or claw. Dust streamed through the sunlight that slanted through the front gate onto Smaug's head.

Smaug's great gold eye watched Thorin as he crept from the shadows on the right. A low rumbling emitted from the dragon's chest and it took a moment for Thorin to realize that Smaug was laughing. Laughing as his heartbeat its last.

"What humors you even at the moment of your death?" inquired Thorin, holding his ribs which ached with every breath.

"You think you've won, but you will never rule this mountain."

"We have defeated you. You have only to draw your last breath."

"You may have defeated me, but you are far from finished defending this mountain." Blood was spilling in an ever-growing pool around Smaug's body as his heart pumped his life out onto the dusty floor.

"We will repel any threat of force that comes to our home."

"But what... what of the force that works from within," said Smaug with labored breath. "The force you have already welcomed... so willingly in your home. Pitiful child, you are... not even aware of its effect on you... In due time this mountain will belong to none but Sauron."

"What effect?" asked Thorin warily.

"Madnesss," hissed Smaug with relish. "Madness that will drive you to... your self-destruction. You are too weak, too susceptible to its whisper... You carry dragon sickness in your pocket, little one."

"I am not my father or grandfather," growled Thorin, stepping closer as rage filled him. Smaug lunged forward in a lightning-fast movement and if Nori had not pulled him back at the last moment Smaug would have had one last meal. As it was, the tip of one tooth left a jagged rip in Thorin's tunic. Smaug began to laugh but the sound quickly turned into a sick hacking rasp. He grew suddenly still and let out a deep sigh as his body went limp. The great yellow eye dilated and glazed over. The worm was dead.

Alright chapter 63! Sorry that was a lot longer chapter than I thought it would be. I am so glad I split 62 and 63. 17-18 k worlds is definitely too long for a chapter. At any rate it's up. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with my spell checker bit its not 100% so forgive the extra mistakes that are bound to show up in this chapter.

I just want to put in a quick plug for something that I feel is important. Preparedness. Early January I was bitten by the preparedness bug. With all that is going on in the world today I would like you to take inventory and evaluate just how prepared you all are for various situations that might arise. I'm not saying you need to build a bomb shelter or go completely nuts and spend tons of money but where possible you should think ahead a bit. I was raised with the idea and practice of food storage and the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encourages all, members and none-members to have a year's worth of food. Now don't go crazy. I'm not saying you have to do that either but think about all the shortages you have seen on grocery store shelves (in the USA we are not used to that). With all that is going on we are likely to continue to see them. I'm not asking you to buy a year's worth of food, but it can't hurt where possible that you bulk up your pantry a bit, maybe store clean water in old soda bottles. Just think about some of the inconveniences you have had and take some steps to protect yourself where possible. And maybe stuff gets better and nothing happens but maybe you lose your job, or get sick, or get put on lockdown. It can't hurt to have a little extra food and water on hand. Once again, don't go crazy and empty shelves but start today or the next time you go to the store and add a few extra cans of food or a case of water to your cart where you are able.

May God bless you and as always Happy Reading!

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

22.1K 742 22
As the journey towards the mountain grows more difficult, Thorin and y/n's newfound love is put to the test. When it comes down to it, what will he c...
684 41 18
Thraina, daughter of Thorin, son of Thrain, is the only female born in her great family line. She is the next in line to the throne of Durin - the on...
23.7K 645 52
"Someday you will return home too." Reluctantly, she opened one of the heavy wooden chests. The lid creaked loudly as it flipped back. A dusty cloak...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...