An Unexpected Journey

By BubblyYork

Athena seeks out her grandmother to tell her one of her favourite stories. The Hobbit/Percy Jackson Fanfictio... More

Summary
Prologue: Grandmama's Story
Chapter One: Thalia Hunter
Chapter Two: The Bright Light
Chapter Three: Welcome to Middle Earth
Chapter Four: Meeting the Company
Chapter Five: Thorin Oakenshield
Chapter Six: More Questions than Answers
Chapter Seven: On the Road
Chapter Eight: Camping Under the Stars
Chapter Nine: Annoying Wizards
Chapter Ten: Missing Ponies
Chapter Eleven: Troublesome Trolls
Chapter Twelve: Thalia the Evil Witch
Chapter Thirteen: The Mysterious Voice
Chapter Fourteen: Being Hunted
Chapter Fifteen: Ouch That Hurt
Chapter Sixteen: Waking in Rivendell
Chapter Seventeen: Daughter of Poseidon
Chapter Eighteen: Dining with Elves
Chapter Nineteen: Escaping at Night
Chapter Twenty: The Misty Mountains
Chapter Twenty-One: Greek Gods of Old
Chapter Twenty-Two: Meeting Poseidon
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Twelve Olympians
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Goblins Cave
Chapter Twenty-Five: Escaping the Caves
Chapter Twenty-Six: Reunited Again
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Azog the Defiler
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Escaping and Healing
Chapter Thirty: Exhaustion
Chapter Thirty-One: Growing Closer
Chapter Thirty-Two: More Running
Chapter Thirty-Three: The Tale of Cronus
Chapter Thirty-Four: Beorn the Shape-Charger
Chapter Thirty-Five: Strange Gifts
Chapter Thirty-Six: Broken Chains
Chapter Thirty-Seven: A Little Honesty
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Accepting Courtship
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Heading for Mirkwood
Chapter Forty: The Enchanted Forest
Chapter Forty-One: Twisted Visions
Chapter Forty-Two: Sleepless Night
Chapter Forty-Three: Secrets Revealed
Chapter Forty-Four: Lady of Mirkwood
Chapter Forty-Five: Being Locked Away
Chapter Forty-Six: Being Found
Chapter Forty-Seven: Getting Answers
Chapter Forty-Eight: Escaping from Mirkwood
Chapter Forty-Nine: Bard the Bowman
Chapter Fifty: Sneaking into Lake Town
Chapter Fifty-One: Bard's House
Chapter Fifty-Two: Being Caught
Chapter Fifty-Three: Only Have to Ask
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Celebration Banquet
Chapter Fifty-Five: The Difficult Decision
Chapter Fifty-Six: Those Left Behind
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Unexpected Help
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Doing the Right Thing
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Smaug Arrives
Chapter Sixty: A Long Awaited Moment
Chapter Sixty-One: The Lonely Mountain
Chapter Sixty-Two: Tension Rises
Chapter Sixty-Three: Preparing for Battle
Chapter Sixty-Four: Defending a Friend
Chapter Sixty-Five: DΓ‘in II Ironfoot
Chapter Sixty-Six: Battle of the Five Armies
Chapter Sixty-Seven: The Battle Continues
Chapter Sixty-Eight: Mountain Attack
Chapter Sixty-Nine: Arriving Late
Chapter Seventy: The Final Stand
Chapter Seventy-One: Devastating News
Epilogue: Far from Over
Sequel: There and Back Again

Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Power Within

751 29 4
By BubblyYork

Azog the Defiler grinned triumphantly looking at Thorin’s unconscious form, the world seemed to have gone quiet for a moment as his warg approached the dwarf; it lifted its bone crashing leg to finish the job when the earth suddenly started to shake.

The white warg stepped back confused as it tried to keep its footing as the rain started to pour down heavier; Azog the Defiler frowned as he wondered what was going on before a blast of wind drove his warg away from his prize.

Cornelia smirked as she looked at her cousin, she was impressed that Thalia was able to do this and it didn’t even seem like she had noticed that she was the one messing with the elements.

“You will not touch him,” Thalia spat furiously making Azog the Defiler look at her, she gritted her teeth as she felt a surge of power inside of her; she had never felt like this before and there would be consequences for using this much power.

The ground rumbled and the earth shook as Thalia tried to rain in her anger, she glared at the orc before her; she didn’t know where this was coming from but she had a feeling that it was related to the fact she was a daughter of Poseidon.

Azog the Defiler frowned as he stared at Thalia, his master hadn’t told him anything about a powerful being protecting Thorin, son of Thráin.

Fíli and Kíli launched themselves off the tree and moved to protect their uncle as the orcs slowly started to grow impatient; they looked to Azog wondering why he was suddenly so interested in Thalia.

Bring me his head,” Azog snarled pointing at Thorin’s unconscious form, his amber eyes stared at Thalia who gritted her teeth holding on tightly to her sword; Thalia glare at him as she felt her hands shake at the power that she was wielding.

Cornelia grinned holding on tightly to her own sword before she darted over to help Fíli and Kíli, she had every bit of confidence that Thalia could handle protecting Thorin; the blonde was clearly just as powerful as she was.

A battle suddenly erupted as the orcs lurched an attack, they were determined to deliver Thorin’s head to Azog; the defiler didn’t like it when he was kept waiting.

The pale orc frowned watching his soldiers being beaten back, not just by the two prince dwarves and the dark haired woman but by the sudden change in weather; it was like the elements themselves were against them.

Bring me the girl,” Azog said looking at his second-in-command, his eyes locked on Thalia that had fought her way over to Thorin and was now defending his unconscious form.

The orc looked at him wondering what Azog the Defiler could possibly want with a human, she certainly wouldn’t hold his attention long and would probably end up dead by the end of their trip back to their base camp.

“If you want him come and claim him,” Thalia shouted glaring at Azog the Defiler, she didn’t know if she had a death wish but she wasn’t about to back down now.

Thalia watched as Azog frowned at her, she knew that she had caught his attention and not in a positive way; she had always been so careful with her powers but for some reason this was different and she didn’t know why.

“Look out,” Bilbo shouted before he knocked Thalia to the side, he cut down an orc that had been trying to sneak up on the blonde; he knew that he had to help since the company were all doing their part.

Thalia looked at him gratefully as she dealt with the orcs warg, the blonde’s sword swiftly sliced through its neck as she moved; she was sure that this was going to be over quickly.

“Why don’t you face me yourself coward,” Thalia snarled furiously staring at Azog, she glared at the pale orc as Balin shouted out behind her; she didn’t hear him as the wind suddenly picked up drowning out his words of warning to her.

Azog growled at her words, no one called Azog the Defiler a coward like that; he was the might pale orc and he wasn’t going to allow Thalia to talk to him like that.

“Thalia what have you done?” Balin whispered in horror, the pale orc would not hesitate to end her life, even with the sudden bad weather that they were having; he knew that this could not be how it end.

Dwalin stared down at the brave witch, he was suddenly proud to call her a member of the company; time and time again Thalia was surprising them and he knew that she was as brave as any dwarf warrior he knew.

“Gandalf do something,” Bofur said turning to look at the wizard, he didn’t know what any of them could do without getting themselves killed; Thorin was unmoving on the floor and Thalia and Bilbo were going to die keeping him alive.

Gandalf’s eyes twinkled with a secret, he knew that help was on its way and he just hoped that help arrived in time; they were in dire need of help and even as Dwalin dropped down to join the fight he knew it wouldn’t be enough.

Thalia ducked out of the way as she twisted her blade around and gutted one of the orcs that were determined to get to Thorin; they wanted to please their master so much that they didn’t seem to care about dying.

Azog the Defiler urged his white warg forward as his eyes remained locked on Thalia, she would fall by his hand before he would take Thorin Oakenshield’s head; his master would be pleased when he handed him the blonde.

Thalia bite her lip peeking over at Cornelia, while they were doing well they were outnumbered; she wasn’t sure what they would do next since they still had to get away from her.

Thalia attention was quickly stolen by Azog as he moved into the battle, his eyes set on her and Thorin leaving no room for doubt on what he wanted; she readied herself knowing that she wouldn’t stand a chance against him in a physical fight and she would have to rely on her powers.

Focus Thalia,” a voice said in Thalia’s head, she rolled her blue eyes knowing that of all the times that this could happen; her father had chosen now to give her some advice.

Thalia took a deep breath as she moved to stand in front of Thorin, she was determined to ensure that Azog wouldn’t end his life; he was too important to die now.

You will die human,” Azog the Defiler spat raising his sword, he would wound Thalia so she wouldn’t stand in his way before he took the life of the dwarf king that she clearly held dear; however before his sword could touch Thalia, a swirl of wind and rain surrounded her.

Thalia swallowed closing her eyes and focused on manipulating the water in a way that she had only used once before; if she didn’t get it right then it could easy kill her and Thorin.

Azog’s sword swung forward and was meet by a brutal force that stopped him from even touching Thalia, he stared in shock as the rain and wind formed a protective bubble around his prey protecting them both before it suddenly froze into ice around them.

Thalia swallowed opening her eyes, she carefully reached up to touch her face feeling something trickling from her nose; her fingers touched the strange liquid before she realised that she was bleeding.

Gandalf leant forward staring in amazement at what Thalia had managed to do, he had never seen anything like that in his life; he didn’t know anyone who could manipulate the elements in such a way.

“Gandalf what just happened?” Dori asked turning to look at the wizard for answers, the storm wasn’t letting up and it was clear that no one knew what to make of what had just happened.

Gandalf cleared his throat as he looked at the confused dwarves, he knew that they would all ask the same thing and he didn’t know how to explain it.

“A miracle,” the wizard said finally as he looked over at the bubble, he would have to ask Thalia how she had managed such a feat when this was over; it was clear that Thalia had many secrets that could prove useful with this quest.

Gandalf huffed knowing that he would have to earn Thalia’s trust, the blonde wasn’t like the other demi-gods that had come through from the other realm and he knew he would have to learn a great deal about her and her cousin.

Thalia watched the shadowy figure of Azog as he paced around her protective bubble, she knew he was looking for some sort of weakness so that he could get to her and Thorin.

Thalia swallowed sticking her sword in the hard ground and turned her attention to Thorin worried about him.

“Don’t you dare die on me,” Thalia whispered dropping to her knees beside him, she frowned as she quickly checked his unconscious form.

Thalia knew he was badly injured and she would deal with them when she had pushed Azog away from them and they were no longer in grave danger.

“You are important Thorin and I need you to survive,” Thalia said brushing some hair from his scratched and bruised face, Aphrodite’s words rang in her mind as she wondered if this was what the Goddess of Love was talking about.

Thalia glanced at Azog’s shadowy form, she knew that he couldn’t see inside and she knew she didn’t have much time to act; she would have to take the protective bubble down to face him.

Thalia carefully pressed a kiss to Thorin’s head, she closed her eyes wishing that there was time to heal him properly.

“Be safe,” Thalia whispered before she pushed herself to her feet, her hand moving to collect her sword as she glared at the shadowy confused figure of Azog; she knew he’d been trying to get inside.

Thalia closed her eyes for a moment as she prepared to attack, she knew that this was going to have to happen quickly and she hoped she wouldn’t end up getting badly hurt herself; she hadn’t master this part of her powers yet.

Now Thalia,” Poseidon’s voice encouraged making Thalia snap into action and forced her sword switching through the ice bubble and into Azog’s stomach; the bubble quickly rearranged itself and with elemental force blasted itself at the pale orc.

Azog screeched out in pain as he stumbled back, his eyes staring at the woman in shock and horror as silence fell over the battle; his good hand pressed against the wound that Thalia had just caused him.

Thalia took a shaky breath, this wasn’t over and she was sure that they needed to find a way to get away and quickly.

What are you?” Azog asked stumbling back, his warg moving protectively to his side as he stared at Thalia; no one had even been able to best him like that and now a woman had done so.

Thalia glared at the pale orc, her body shaking from the exertion that she had just used; she knew she’d come to regret what she had done later on but for now Thorin was safe.

Gandalf smiled as he spotted the butterfly returned, help had arrived and he turned to look at the Great Eagles knowing that they had come just in time.

“I’m your worst nightmare,” Thalia said staring down at Azog; a shrill screech filled the air as Thalia dropped to her knees exhausted, she took a deep breath as she spotted a large eagle flew overhead, help had finally arrived even if it was a little late.

Thalia clutched at her sword knowing that they still had to get away from the orcs and their wargs before she could truly rest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 134 23
A Hobbit Fanfiction Thorin/OC, Fili/OC, Bilbo/OC, Kili/Tauriel .
411K 26.6K 95
in which the fates are far from done with naomi sakura, and she must learn who she truly is―and who the gods are so afraid she'll become. [percy jack...
53K 1.7K 13
Watching the Movies and Reading the Books Two worlds, Three Wars. Two Heroes, Three Prophecies. Valentina Allen never expected to be at the forefront...
318K 9.6K 63
❝ Shut up,❞ ❝ Make me, 𝐩𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬.❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ no matter how hard she tries to resist, the daughter of Hades ends up falling for Percy Jac...