Love in the Nick of Time

By Tranay21

Regina Washington has always been Ms. Independent, she practically wrote the song. Now living her dream as a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 14

3.3K 137 3
By Tranay21

Regina sank down into her pillow top queen sized bed for the fourth night in a row with a smile. She sighed contently as the material conformed to her body which for some reason her body ached all over. Finally back in her condominium she felt like she was able to breathe again. Yes she loved the time she spent in Christian's home up until their fight but there was nothing like being in her own home. The following day after her fight with Christian Regina and Verity learned that Mia's ex-manager had been arrested putting everyone's mind at ease.

Regina reached over to cut off her bedroom lights when her cell phone rang, picking it up Jess' smiling face flashed across the screen.

"Hey Jess."

"Hey Gina I had an idea for the cocktails, is it too late to change them?"

"No it's not but can we talk about it tomorrow." She said stifling a yawn.

"Oh yeah sure I didn't realize the time."

"It's okay, how are things with you and Leo I've been meaning to ask."

"It's weird he's never been upset with me like this before. I don't know why but I kind of like him broody." She said with a giggle making Regina laugh.

"Aww you and Leo are too cute together, I envy you."

"Still not talking to Christian yet?"

"Yeah it's my fault I took things a little too far this time around."

"So maybe you should be the first to apologize?" Jess offered up and Regina fell silent. "You know I'm right."

"How did you get to be Ms. Know it all when you and your fiancé don't even fight?"

"Why do you think Leo and I never fight?"

"Because you two are just too darn cute and in love."

"Well that is one reason." Jess said with a laugh, "It's because we realized that the time we spend angry at each other takes away from the good times we could be having."

"That is so true Jessica, I never thought about it that way." She said as she tossed her pillow aside.

"So maybe now you will apologize to him first."

"Nope," Regina said with a laugh making Jess groan with frustration.

"Woman you are impossible."

"I know."

"I'll come by the office around 11 since I have to put the finishing touches to my dress."

"Okay, I'll be in all day until about 4."

"Do you think we can finally have this wedding without any more problems coming up?"

"I will do everything within my wedding coordinator powers to make sure that your wedding next Sunday will be a success." Regina said reassuringly

"I trust you Gina."

"As you should sweetie,"

"Get some sleep you sound exhausted, good night." Jess said before hanging up.

After hanging up the phone Regina opened up the last text message she received from Christian four days ago which was of an emoji blowing a kiss. Tossing her phone across from her Regina flopped and rolled around her bed groaning aloud, she was determined to keep by her never surrender philosophy. Christian was wrong and she deserved an apology end of story.

"Right?" she said aloud as she ended her tantrum. "You're such a pain!" she yelled as she stretched her arms across the width of the bed, her hair covered her face and covers kicked halfway off the bed.

"What should I do?" she wondered as her phone began to vibrate again, she the phone to her ear connecting the call.

"Hello."

"Regina?"

"Yes?"

"It's about time, I didn't think I would ever reach you." a familiar voice said as Regina sat up in the bed.

"Who is this?

"Well that is such a silly question, how do you not recognize your own mother's voice." She said with a chuckle. "You always were a silly girl."

Stunned Regina sat in the middle of the bed, eyes wide , with the phone glued to her ear as he mother rambled on and on about the one childhood memory Regina had of her.

"What do you want?" Regina said still in a daze.

"I want to see you sweetheart; I have some very important things I need to speak to you about."

"How did you get this number?"

"I'm your mother you don't think I wouldn't know how to get in touch with my own child. You don't sound pleased to hear from me."

"Please, don't ever call me again." Regina said as she dropped the phone ending the call.

Regina could not believe what had just happened, she wondered how the woman could just call her and act as if they were the best of friends. Regina barely remembered what her mother looked like but she could never forget her voice. It was the same smoky voice that told her she wasn't good enough to be her daughter, the same voice the belittled her father, the same voice that broke an innocent little girls heart.

Regina never went to sleep that night; she sat in the same position all night as her mind replayed the call repeatedly as she watched the sun rise. Seven o'clock came, her alarm began its cheerful morning bird song, slapping the off button before staggering into the bathroom. She could barely stand as she took her shower. Even as she dressed and applied her make-up, her mind was still in a daze. She did not feel up to driving so she decided to take the train to work. The soft whirring of the train as it began to pick up speed, the graffiti on the various advertisements and the old man whose head swayed back and forth gave her something else to focus on. When she walked into her office she was alone, usually she loved being the first one in but today she need the noise of Verity and Teresa arguing back and forth, or the random mumblings of Ramona.

Sitting at her desk Regina looked at the sheets of paper her father had written some of his most intimate moments with Sandra that she was going to re-write in calligraphy on silk ribbons that would be tied around the stems of 24 white roses. Regina was beginning to see the romantic side of her father and she liked it. Regina had just finished with the ribbons when Verity walked into her office and sat down.

"You look like crap, did you get any sleep last night." She blurted out and Regina just glared at her.

"Good morning Verity."

"I'm sorry Good morning Regina, did you sleep last night?"

"Yeah,"

"Liar, you have bags under your eyes, something happened, what happened?" Verity asked as she studied Regina.

"Something did happen but I don't want to go into detail."

"Does it have to do with Christian?"

"No, I'll tell you later."

"Okay sweetie, I'm going to start prepping the candles I want you to get some sleep."

"I still have to go pick up the flowers, why didn't we have them delivered again?"

"I don't know, but don't worry about it; I will send Ramona to do it. Get some sleep."

"Yes mother." Regina said while standing up with a stretch her eyelids seemed to grow heavier with sleep with every passing minute. She figured that a fifteen minute nap could not hurt. Stretching out on her sofa, she wrapped herself in a blanket and before she knew it sleep had claimed her. Waking up an hour and a half later Regina felt refreshed and her mind instantly went into planning mode as she walked into the reception area to find Jess talking with Verity.

"Oh you're awake; I was going to come back later." Jess said as Regina walked up to them.

"Verity why didn't you wake me up?"

"Because you looked exhausted, I told you I will handle everything and I did." Verity beamed.

"Thank you Bffff." Regina said hugging Verity. "Jess are you ready to talk alcohol?"

"Of course,"

"I wanna talk alcohol too." Verity said following behind them.

"No alcohol talks for you Ms. Prego."

"Why not I know better than to drink anything?" Verity said as they waited for the elevator.

The women took a short trek down the block to the bartender they used for weddings to try out new cocktails for the wedding.

"We need a few non-alcoholic drinks for the pregnant woman on board." Jess said as she sipped at her snowball.

"Yeah, I'm parched." Verity said acting as if she was about to faint.

With Verity as their official taste tester, Jess and Regina were able to finalize the list of cocktails for the cocktail hour prior to the reception. As the women made their way back to their building, Jess asked Regina if she thought anymore about their conversation.

"Not really I am more focused on my dad's proposal right now." She confessed.

"You need to think about it some more." Jess said

"Yeah," Verity added as she sipped on a mango, passion fruit cocktail she just had to take with her.

"I feel like pizza, let's go get some pizza." Verity said as she turned onto the next block never checking back to see if Regina and Jess followed her. After feeding Verity's craving the women finally made it back to their office Regina and Verity packed up everything they needed for Darrell's proposal dinner and picked up the suit Regina bought for her father before heading to the house. Regina could barely contain her excitement as she unpacked the car.

"Regina are you sure all of this is necessary?" Darrell said holding up a bottle of champagne, its name he couldn't even begin to pronounce.

"Yes it is." Regina said as she arranged the centerpiece for the table.

"What time will Ms. Sandra be here?"

"I told her 6:30"

"Then you need to go get ready, it's five o'clock now. I laid out your suit on your bed."

"We will take care of everything down here." Verity said escorting Darrell towards the stairs.

Once Darrell left to get dressed Regina and Verity worked swiftly to put the dining room together. Once they were finished the women stood back and admired their handy work. The room was filled with candles and roses; a line of rose petals started from the entrance of the dining room and trialed out to the front door. Regina could just imagine Sandra's face the minute she walked in and tears filled her eyes.

"Dad we're finished."  Regina shouted up the stairs.

"I'll be down in a minute."

Regina and Verity waited patiently for Darrell to come down the stairs.

"Okay ladies how do I look?" Darrell asked as he walked down the stairs, Regina and Verity both nodded their heads in approval as the admired Darrell in the sleek dark blue Armani two-piece suit.

"Daddy you look so handsome."

"Yeah Papa D you are looking mighty fine, Ms. Sandra won't be able to keep her hands off of you." Verity chimed in as Regina fixed his tie.

"Thank you girls for everything you've done. I just hope I don't mess this up." Darrell said as he hugged Regina and Verity.

"It's our pleasure Daddy; don't be so nervous you will be fine." Regina reassured him. "Make sure you call the minute she says yes." Regina said as she picked up her bags.

"Have fun." Verity said with a wave before leaving.

Regina took Verity home before going home herself to wait for the call. Regina walked into her building she heard someone call her name, when she turned around to the voice her heart dropped.

"Hi Regina." Her mother said.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry I didn't call before coming over, I was in the area. It's so good to see you, you are so beautiful." She said tempted to touch Regina's face.

"What do you want Melanie?"

"Is that how you talk to your mother?"

"You stopped being my mother a long time ago." Regina snapped before Melanie could say anything else Regina walked away. Once inside her condo Regina let out a scream as she tossed her bag across the hall. Regina could feel her body shut down as her mind went into overdrive with questions; she barely had the energy to climb into bed and pull the covers over her.

I should have known better. She thought as she shut her eyes. Regina knew that the minute she was truly happy something would come and ruin it all, it was better for her to give up now before her whole life turned into shambles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 0 3
Leaving her well-planned life behind in Manhattan, New York, twenty-four year old Heart Noel chases her dream on becoming a big-time event planner in...
372 34 4
Queen Regina of Mist Haven is slowly losing hope that she will ever be able to marry for love. Almost every aspect of her life is controlled, especia...
138K 3.6K 44
After 5 years of leaving Seattle and Christian Grey, Anastasia is finally going to marry her boss and her new lover. The only problem is, Christian...
199K 8.2K 42
Being in an abusive relationship with Ethan is hard, especially for 28 year old Hazel. All her Rich husband does is cheat, beat and lie to her. There...