Ineffable

By Yinzy_Banana

(GENDER NETURAL READER) Every start of a story starts with a promise, a contract if that's how Rex Lapiz saw... More

1: If You Promise, You Keep it
2: Energy Always Remains with the Owner
3: From Crystal to Dust
4: Lies Are Like a Glass of Water
5: Behind the Stern, There's an Unseen
6: A Gentleman Walks In
7: A Story May End
8: A Past Will Be The Past
9: Northland Bank
11: A Meeting With the God of Sea
Author's Noteโ™ก
12: Snowing Night
13: Prayers To The Gods?
14: A Life for a Life
15: Until Sunset Comes
16: Choose Wisely
(Side Story 1) Spring Finally Comes
18: Special Thanksโ™ก

10: What Will You Do

177 17 0
By Yinzy_Banana

War...

War wasn't something everyone wished to participate, let alone, volunteering to shed their blood over a throne no one would respectfully get. Even the people who were in love with the colour of red still wouldn't dare to lift the crimson covered weapon. Morax whom had stood and tasted the most salt out of all archons still couldn't forget the feeling of having to see lives taken away mercilessly.

He wished to himself this wouldn't be his regret, but he knew nothing could be evaded一everything will happen eventually. And the fact it's just the matter of time.

As the wind blew passed, slow but noticeable, petals flew by them dramatically following the wisp of the wind. The ground of Liyue shook but went unnoticeable as if the Archon had decided it's not the best time to send a quake to the peaceful nation, a slight pang hit his heart一be it the growing dilemma or Y/n's consent.

"Please allow me to join the upcoming war."

Their voice spoke once again.

The war... a war to declare the throne to who will sit as a ruler of a village. "I promise I won't cause harm and bring disgrace to your name," Y/n spoke, eyes never once wavered from his golden ones. The desire to hold their hand force them to not join the war was held back, his hand was like a tranquil一 numb and weak.

Why was he this reluctant...? They were raised as a soldier, a soldier to serve the war their master told them to, a servant whom existed only to atone their sins... but to let them go left his lips dry, he knew his voice would sound hoarse if he said a word.

Perhaps it's the attachment, a peculiar attachment which grew stronger over the time they spent, even if it only had been a few months... "Lor一..." Y/n's eyes fell on the field of glaze lilies, they watched as the flowers slowly fell down to the ground. "...I see. Lord, forgive me for my impudence, but someone high like yourself shouldn't be bound with attachment with myself. Please let me atone my sins."

"I am simply worried because I made a contract with Lady Mazu, and as for the statement you made..." huh, was he attached with them? "You're a human in my eyes, someone who's granted immortality and inherited the tiger. Even so, my personal feelings are none of your concern."

Hell... he didn't even know what was budging his heart.

"Let's rest for now. Xiao reported the border outside of Liyue is safe for now. And as for your request..."

He gave one last glance, the sight of a fire lit up resembled determination but tranquality reflected the e/c ones... even if a tiger was highly respected and feared by the animals, it's still had its weakness one way or another. "...prepare your weapon, make sure they're replenished well. The war will start next month."

If only he could turn back the time...

****

The sun slowly rose above the whole nation, the light seeped through the curtain and passed by Y/n's opening eyelids. The scent of the calming candle tickled their nostrils, acrid but calming something resembled the rain. Perhaps this would be their last time to smell the fresh of petrichor.

They felt a hold, bright hue colour of golden as their fingers were intertwined with someone else's. Who could it be to start the winter's morning? "You're up I see. How have you been feeling, Y/n?"

A rather deeper voice but gentle like a silk tickled their ears, their heart tugged itself wishing to hear more. "I'm... feeling better, Mister...一! Why am I here?"

Sadly, that wish vanished once their eyes scanned their own room. The calming scent of the candle lost its trail, its licking orange died down as Zhongli blew it away. "You've been out for a week, Y/n. Perhaps we should progress our contract faster?"

"I don't think there's any need to一"

They felt a slight squeeze of their hand, something inside their chest was reluctant to look over to the man but part of them knew they had to. Y/n drifted their eye level to gaze at Zhongli's golden ones. If Y/n thought the candle was the brightest thing in the room, then that's false一his eyes gleamed way brighter than that.

The eyes reflected as if he had seen countless of deaths, betrayals, and the lies spoke in front of his face一but had seen the most smile and questioned about life the most stared right at their soul. Instead of them praying, it was Zhongli who was demanding something out of them.

Huh, despite his composed self, there were stories left untold. "...Mister, I'm completely fine." Y/n landed their hand on top of his, their thumb grazed over his gloved hand soothingly.

But Zhongli was reluctant to believe, even if what Y/n said was false or true, he was reluctant to believe一afraid he might get his hopes up and ended up crumbling apart like how it did years ago. "Alright, as partners, I believe and will respect any kind of decisions you choose. However, if the situation worsens, then I'll be taking the lead."

Y/n let out a soft chuckle, now it was Y/n's turn to take his hands and held them together. The warmth from their hand quickly transferred to Zhongli's own. "Whatever you say, Mister."

Zhongli didn't know why but his lips fell silent, his gaze was reluctant to let go as if the person standing in front of him would disappear anytime soon. "Oh, I almost forgot. I want to get a pair of shoes for your outfit, Mister. So, can we go out together tomorrow?" Y/n offered, her eyes beamed in hope, hoping he'd say yes.

Who was he to refuse? Afterall, the fact that they're slowly going to wither as well... "I'd gladly join you, Y/n. Thank you for your kind invitation."

"Thank you!"

...

"Wow, we bought a lot of shoes and none of them seems to suit you, Mister..."

Y/n hummed, their eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

The sound of the busy nation walking their daily lives under the winter sounded in Zhongli's ears, thousand of prayers and wishes that Liyue would continue to prosper rang beneath his head.

Zhongli and Y/n went to the Liuli Pavilion, the scent of the cooking food sizzling in his ears didn't rise up his appetite but arouse his curiosity to take a bite, the sun seeped through the window and let it reflected its light on Zhongli's tea warmed his grip. He moved his gaze away and seemed to be lost in thought.

The sun gleamed and carassed Y/n's sickly skin, if before their lips were the colour of plump (lip colour), now it slowly converted to a colour hued with light blue. It was chapped, but when they smiled, it no longer looked like it came from a sick owner. And if before their skin was (skin colour), now it had turned oddly pale like a person fighting an illness, all that changed and faded in just a few months of reunion.

And just yesterday they fell on his arms so helplessly.

His heart somehow dropped in his stomach after figuring out what could possibly Y/n led themselves into, the same thing as history once told: "A tiger gave its head after serving the raging war."

"一li? Mister Zhongli?"

"Oh, yes, Y/n?"

"You're daydreaming, is there something up?"

Zhongli fell silent for a second, his mind mulled over the reason he could possibly give, but none came across his head. "It's nothing. Have you found the suited shoes, yet?"

"Uhm, nope. But I'm sure I can find them today."

"Y/n, there's no need for you to find shoes just to match with the outfit you have in mind for me. I'm completely fine with any一"

"It's okay, Mister. I insist. You've helped me a lot of times so this is the least I could do."

Zhongli opened his lips, wished to deny but they beated him to it, "And, plus, I also want to get to know you better as friends. Will that be alright?"

...friends?

Zhongli's ears subconsciously perked by the words fell off their lips, he lifted the tea up hoping to calm himself down. "Well, I suppose I can agree with your statement over there and bond together as friends. Friends are indeed a special relationship一." Before Zhongli realised it, he went on with his ramble.

However, when he looked up, he found the person only watching him patiently and listened even if he's sure they were bored.

"Interesting choice of words, Mister. As expected coming from an intellegent man like you."

Y/n lifted their tea up to their lips, slowly sipping it not wanting to get their tongue burned. "If we're friends, I think you should drop the honorific title. I heard from the folks that friends don't use honorific unless if both relationships were parted into different society class."

Y/n put down the tea, they lifted their finger up the chin, giving his statement some thought before agreeing, "You're right. Alright一...Zhongli."

And the next minute, they fell silent, letting the comfortable serenity engulfed both of them to their lunch. The sound of chopsticks, plates, and bowls clashing together subconsciously but not too loud sounded in Zhongli's ears.

Y/n's eyes travelled deep into the rice, they were hesitant to lift their gaze up and met with his. The rice and delicious food seemed last tempting by the swirl of thoughts of their tragedy. As if their body was the one that took control, Y/n's lips parted slightly breaking the calming silence.

"Zhongli... what if I suddenly said I don't want to die?"

Zhongli stopped whatever his mind was travelling, he stopped whatever he was doing and was left confused with his own choice of words. Now, he placed his eyes upon their averting ones, he demanded for answers but had to let his curiosity die down. "..." it was difficult to answer their question, he sensed the hope leaving from their eyes as they figured out the reason behind his silence.

"Ah, it's alright. Carry on with your food一"

"Fate always has its mysterious ways, you're given two choices. Marry the deity you're enggaged with, or wait until death takes you away from this world. I can't gurantee to keep you safe and happy."

Hearing his words rolled a boulder on their heart, their pained smile quickly frowned no matter how many times they tried to lift it up again. "Oh."

. . .

"...However, what will you do if I ask you to keep living?"

Y/n's eyes dared to lift but quickly turned away in shame, the hope had crumbled long before it began. What was there for Y/n to answer such question? "I'm not sure myself. Perhaps I'll spend the rest of my time and live them together with you."

****

Sorry.

For.

The.

Fast.

Pacing.

I intend to make this fanfic short一so maybe it'll end in six or less more chapters. I'm so sorryy

But uhm, here一enjoy this boring piece I have for you. Angst here and angst there, maybe a bit of a fluff to lighten up the mood.

Thanks for coming and checking in, I wish you a nice day.

Oh and the next is an A/N chapter, though no one's gonna read but I'mma just drop it here hehe. ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 1.1K 9
"I'm sorry, do I know you?" Once presumed dead, Morax's general, the war hero (M/N), returns to Liyue thousands of years after the Archon War. Howeve...
327K 11.1K 33
๐ŸŽž๏ธ . . . A child in the hands of the god of Geo who lives a few hundred years already, not growing an inch as they stayed child over all the tim...
73.1K 1.9K 27
"...the stars do not simply tell fates, they also have one of their own." Basically we replace paimon and it's just the main story + some of the even...
12.6K 263 14
"Look, I can see how tired you are from traveling. You have traveled all the way from Mondstadt to Inazuma and survived multiple fights, even with th...