Duskwood: A Town of Mysteries

By 001writer

"It may seem like any place. Cold, monotonous. But can you imagine what lurks deep in the forest of the town... More

Chapter 1: The phone number
Chapter 2: You are the key
Chapter 3: Part of the group
Chapter 4: The kidnapper
Chapter 5: Horror story
Chapter 6: Mysterious
Chapter 7: Keys and secrets
Chapter 8: Chaos
Chapter 9: The sign
chapter 10: Voting
Chapter 11: The final vote
Chapter 12: Trustworth
Chapter 13: The letter
Chapter 14: Welcome to Duskwood
Chapter 15: Call me Sherlok
Chapter 16: Midnight in Duskwood
Chapter 18: Good and bad news
Chapter 19: The meeting
Chapter 20: The next attack
Chapter 21: Missing
Chapter 22: The past
Chapter 23: unlocking memories
Chapter 24: The devil
Chapter 25: The Man Without a Face
Chapter 26: Home sweet home
Chapter 27: Dark side of ambition
Chapter 28: And we meet again for the last time
Chapter 29: Mission Accomplished
Chapter 30: Endgame
#Drawing

Chapter 17: Justice

364 21 4
By 001writer

"Don't worry. Wonderland is better when you're lost"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vanysh decided to keep going with her investigation board and stuff until it was the time to go meet her friends at the Junkyard.

In the middle of the process, Lilly messaged her.

-Can I go to your place rn? -She started.
-So that we can go on

-Hum... Sure.

-Good, cause I'm already in front of your house

-You what??

Vanysh instantly left her phone in the table and looked at the window.

And there Lilly was, standing in front of her car while staring at her window and waving to Vanysh.

-Sassy bitch. -Vanysh said to herself as she went downstars in a hurry to open the door.

-Hey, again.

-Hey.

-So, let's go on then. Come on in.

They sat at the kitchen table and took their phones to start doing their "work" again.

-What have you got for me now, blondie?

-Well, that's what I was going to ask you. Have you found what that wierd sequence of numbers was?

-Of course.
-It was a contact ID.

-And who is behind this number?

-Jake most likely.

-Wait, I'll add the contact too real quick -She immediatly added it.
-Hm. But how do we go on now?

-Let me see...

Vanysh opened "Nymos's" contact to see if she could get any answers from it or him.

-Hacker boy, is that you? -She asked, but no one answered.

After that, she opened his profile to see if it had anything useful there, and just like she thought, it did.

-An e-mail...

-An e-mail?

-Yes. "01040jake@gmail.com"
-I will send something to this e-mail, which I suppose to be Jake's.

"Hello, Jake. It's me, the key"

-Ok, done.

-Did you send him a message?

-Yup.

-So now we wait?

-Now we wait.

5 minutes had passed when that very same e-mail answered Vanysh with a black picture.

-Ok, we have an answer.

-What is it?

-Take a look yourself. -She gave her the phone.

-And what now?

Vanysh instantly selected it again just like she had done before to see if it had any hidden message.

-Eureka!

A random code, which was hidden, appeared.

-What did you do?

-Nothing new, actually.
-Anyway, I don't know what to do with it now.

-Maybe there is an specific place for you to send this code?

-Mhm, for sure. But where?

-Have you tried sending it to Jake's wierd number?

-Oh... no.

She sent the code in Nymos's chat and he instantly came online, sending only a link and going offline again.

-He's online! It worked!

-Oh my god.

-He's offline again...

-Will that always happen?

-I'm not sure... But this puzzle is now solved.

-I think that this isn't Jake, but some kind of bot.

-Yes, that's what I was thinking of...
-Let's take a look at the new one now.

The link sent by Nymos took Vanysh to a mysterious dark blue page with many small binary numbers in the back and a big key with a space to put a password.

-We need a password.

-What can you think of?

-I don't know, but I'll try to figure this out.
-You better try as well.

-Okay.

Vanysh got up from the chair and started walking in circles with her phone after 10 minutes trying to unlock whatever Jake sent her.

"What would Jake use as a password?"

"Hanna"

Denied.

"Nymos"

Denied.

"01040"

Denied.

"Jake"

Denied.

"Key"

Denied.

"Youarethekey"

Denied.

"What the fuck did he choose?"

-Did you figure it out already? -Lilly asked.

-No...

Vanysh was about to walk in circles again when a thought suddently crossed her mind like a shot.

"It's not uncommon for people to choose things for passwords that mean something for them"

"A beloved person or thing, a meaningful sequence of numbers..."

-No fuck! -Vanysh said out loud.

-What? Did you find it?

-No. Not yet.

"Of course, how didn't I think of this before? Jake wanted me to find the password for the doctor's computer previously as a test. He could've done that alone easily, but he needed me to know about this.
The answer should be obvious by now, but what is this important thing or name Jake used?"

-If Hanna isn't the password... -She said low while walking away from Lilly.

"Lilly"

Denied.

-Shit, what is so important for Jake?

She started walking in circles again when memories invaded her head.

"Please don't worry about me, Vanysh, they won't ever find me"
"-How are you so sure, Jake?"
"-Because that would separate me from you"

"I kind of miss you, even though I'm doing pretty good on my own"
"-I miss you too, Vanysh. More than I can explain"

"-It's pretty hard to concentrate on my task when my thoughts always drift off to you"

"-We are a great team"
"-I feel the same way"

"-You know Jake, I like you, but you're so distant that you don't even seem to be real"
"-Don't you think I don't feel the same way, Vanysh?
-You are so mysterious but at the same time I feel like we've been known each other since always.
-Throughtout the day I think about you more than I would like. And I don't even know you.
-I open up to you, even though I don't give anyone information about myself"

She started staring at the nothing and staying still while her heart would beat faster at each thought.

"Vanysh"

Correct.

-He used my name as his password... -She blushed with a smile on her face.

The password unlocked a video. It was him again, staring at the camera with a black hoodie that wouldn't allow her to see his face, but this time everything were in pixels. Soon, he started talking with that same effect.

It wasn't happening at the moment. Jake recorded that, probably long ago.

"-When you see this, I'll already be gone. I will have gone into hiding or my persuers will have managed to find me.
Forgive me that I couldn't tell you in person, but this way I'm able to ensure that you find out who I really am. On one hand, I owe you, on the other, I don't want you to concentrate on finding me when I suddently disappear.
I have never told anyone else what I am about to tell you. I am Hanna's half brother, her and I have never met, and that is the reason I contacted her a long time ago and never told her.
Soon I was forced to cut contact with her, but shortly before she disappeared, she called me asking for help...

Hanna and Lilly are the only family I have left, and I hope you understand now, why I was so invested in finding her. I ask you to keep my secret because I don't want to be responsible for her family falling apart.
It's no longer in my power to find Hanna. Her fate is now entirely in your hands.

I thank you for our conversations and your courage. We will see each other again, when the time comes."

The video started to fade away.

Vanysh felt a huge pang in her heart and a great despair. For now she was 100% sure that she was alone and Jake had been caught. On the other hand, she was extremely relieved to hear that Jake was her brother and not lover, which she was hoping or almost sure to be the case since the mistrust first started.

After that, Vanysh ran towards Lilly's direction.

-You won't believe what I just saw.

-I saw it too. Wait. He made a video for you?

-Yea...
-And he did one for you too?

-Yes...

-I'm speechless.

-I didn't believe him at first, you know?
-That he was mine and Hanna's half brother.
-He told me after I had published the video.

-Do you think your father knows about him?

-I don't know.
-But I feel like I know nothing right now.
-Jake didn't just leave that video there for me, but a picture too. Of his mother and my father.
-But all of this wasn't just about giving me proof, cause he could've sent me that back then.
-He did it all just for you.

-Like I said, he wanted us to work together. So that we could solve our personal problems.

-Yes...
-He must have made that video quite a while ago.

-Almost as if he saw all of this coming.

-According to him, he never wanted to tell me the truth.

-It's not really hard to figure out why, if you know what I mean.
-Anyway, you have probably heard the same as I did, so don't tell anyone.

-I don't know how I should deal with this yet.
-But now I understand why he broke contact with Hanna all that time ago.

-Yup.
-Hanna fell in love with Jake.

-Yes...
-What have I done? -She covered her face with her hands and sat in the couch.

-You fucked him up. That's what you did.

Vanysh instantly felt bad for that. She could feel now that Lilly regret doing that and was worried about jake just as much as she was.

-But well, we all commit mistakes... -She approached Lilly.

-Is he really gone?

-I...
-He will come back. I know he will.

-But what if he doesn't?

-He will.

They kept silent for a few seconds.

-I can't just count on that. He's only in this situation because of me.
-I'm gonna do something. -She instantly got up.
-I will talk to you later.
-And then I will probably need your help. -She walked out the door with hurry.

-Fuck. -She threw her full body on the couch.

"Where are you? How can I help you?"

*

As Jake said, Hanna's fate was depending fully on Vanysh, but she didn't want to follow this path anymore. She wanted to find Jake, hug him and say that everything is going to be fine.
However, now she knows how much Hanna means to Jake, and she also wants to find her more than ever because she knows how it feels to be alone and lose someone really close.

-Deep down I knew the truth. I was just too scared of being wrong. -She started texting him.
-I will find Hanna, Jake. You know I got this.
-But I will do anything to find you. Really.
-If you ever need my help, please text or call me. You can even show up in my door if you want.

When she checked the clock, she realized it was already 17:10. She was late to the "break" Richy had planned.

"Shit. I don't even know If I'm able to relax after what just happened..."

She stood up.

"No. I do need a break. I can't go on or find the disappeared Donfort's like this. That's if Jake's last name even is Donfort".

She immediately got into the car and went to the junkyard.

*

When Vanysh arrived, she could see everyone except for Dan and Lilly in there through the window.

Jessy:
-Vanysh! -She hugged her.

Vanysh:
-Hello everyone.

Cleo:
-Hi!

Richy:
-Aye aye.
-Now that everyone is here we can start.

Dan:
-You really called me just to do what I think we will do?

Richy:
-Yes.

Vanysh:
-Which would be...?

Richy:
-Doodle friends!

Vanysh:
-Yay!
-The hell is that?

Jessy:
-A game. We haven't played that in a very long time.

Richy:
-Okaay, everyone come with me.

All of the friends followed Richy to a room that contained a large couch, a pen blackboard, a table full of goodies and a pot with papers.

Richy:
-Riiight...
-In this game we are supposed to make a drawing so that the others can figure out what it is within 1 minute.
-The drawer must try to draw the word he got from the pot, and everyone must try to guess as quick as they can.
-One more thing: you can only guess once.

Dan:
-Haha awesome. We haven't played this in ages!

Vanysh:
-It's a shame you will only be able to guess, Dan. -She joked.

Dan:
-Pff, I'll win anyway. I'm a pro.

Richy:
-Alright, did you get it, Vanysh?

Vanysh:
-Yup.
-But can we lose points or anything?

Richy:
-Nah. In the end you just get one point or not.
-I'm going to start, of course -He happily grabbed the pen and paper from the table as he walked to the blackboard and the others sat on the couch.

Richy started drawing two circles and some wierd shaped lines.

Dan:
-What the hell is that?

Cleo:
-Telescope!

Richy:
-Noo.

He kept drawing more circles and lines.

Vanysh:
-A phone?

Richy:
-Nooo. It's getting obvious!

10 seconds passed when the phone used to calculate the time to draw rang.

Richy:
-It was a bicycle!

Vanysh:
-Oh well.

Dan:
-Who the fuck draws a bike like that?
-And what are those things on the handlebars?

Richy:
-Nice decorations?

Everyone started laughing.

Dan:
-I want to draw now!

Jessy:
-Oof

Vanysh:
-How?

Dan:
-I'll just ask for a pen and a paper. Be right back. -He hung up.

Thomas:
-Dan being Dan.

Cleo:
-Arghh will it take long?

Vanysh:
-No idea.

2 minutes later, he video called Vanysh.

Dan:
-I'm back, fools!

Vanysh:
-Alright, and how is this going to work?

Dan:
-Pff, just show me a paper and I will draw it here, then I'll show to you guys my work of art!

Jessy:
-You're gonna cheat!

Dan:
-Me? Never.
-Now come on, someone show me a paper without looking.

Cleo:
-I'll do it.

Dan:
-No no no. I know you well enough

Cleo laughed.

-I need someone honest...
-Vanysh!

Vanysh:
-Haha.
-I'll take it as a compliment. -She grabbed a paper and showed it in the direction of the camera.

Richy:
-That's just what he wanted.

Vanysh:
-To provoke? Haha.

Cleo:
-It's always the same every time Vanysh. You get used to it.

Thomas:
-How's the work of art going?

Dan:
-Perfectly.

"Trimm trimm"

Richy:
-Alrightt, your time is over.

Dan:
-Okay, I'm done.
-Get ready for the Picasso. -He showed his drawing to the camera as Vanysh showed the phone to everyone.

He drew some circles and figures that made it look like a skull having a cigarette.

Vanysh/Thomas:
-Skull!

Dan:
-Nope.

Vanysh:
-How the fuck not?!

Cleo/Richy:
-Cigarette?!

Dan:
-Exactly!

Vanysh:
-What was that skull for?

Thomas:
-Yes. That was a pretty good drawing, but why would you draw a skull when you're trying to make us guess a cigarette?

Vanysh:
-Exactly!

Dan:
-That's called artistic liberty.

Thomas:
-You only did that to get attention for longer.

Dan:
-You're just jealous Tommyboy.

Vanysh:
-Haha, unbelievable.

Dan:
-In any case, it's your turn now, Tommyboy.

Thomas:
-Alright alright. -He stood up, took a paper and the pen.

Thomas started making a rectangle and shapes on top that made it look like a pine tree.

Jessy:
-Pine tree?

Thomas:
-Nope.

After that, he added something that looked like a koala.

Vanysh:
-Squirrel!

Thomas:
-One point for Vanysh!

Vanysh:
-For a moment I was going to say this little thing is a Koala.

Dan:
-Oh, how cute.

Cleo:
-Oh, how cute.

Vanysh:
-Oh, how cute.

Richy:
-hahahahah
-I LOVE this game!

Thomas:
-Vanysh, you wanna go next?

Vanysh:
-Sure.

Dan:
-Go go go Sherlok.

Vanysh got up, grabbed a random paper and then walked towards the blackboard. When she opened it, she couldn't help laughing at her ironic fate.

"Key"

Seconds later, she drew a large and very detailed key, which everyone guessed right.

Cleo:
-Now that's a work of art!

Dan:
-Nah, my skull was the best one.

Vanysh:
-Quiet, Picasso. Van Gogh is on the area.
-Your turn, Jessy. -She gave her the pen.

Jessy:
-I'm afraid I have to go now...

Vansyh:
-Just one more round. Come on.

Jessy:
-Aah finee.

She gently took the pen along with the paper and then drew a square with some stuff on it.

Before anyone could say anything, she erased it and drew a flower with a "+" and a seed.

Dan:
-Tree?

Jessy:
-Nope

Vanysh/Richy:
-Flower seeds.

Jessy:
-Yes!

Dan:
-Nice drawing, babe.

Richy:
-You didn't even get it right.

Vanysh:
-Hahah I know, right?

Dan:
-Of course you two had to notice that.

Vanysh:
-Nothing escapes us.

Jessy:
-Thank you for playing, guys. It was really fun.

Vanysh:
-Yea, I liked it quite a lot.

Cleo:
-That was really a welcome diversion.

Thomas:
-I agree.

Vanysh:
-Well then, see you guys. -She got up.

Richy:
-Adios! -He smiled.

Cleo:
-Bye bye.

Dan:
-Bye.

*

The sun was no longer iluminating the sky when Vanysh got home. Everything was dark and she cautiously got out of the car to enter her house.

When she turned her back to unlock the door, she almost had a heart attack with someone appearing out of nowhere.

-I know how to help Jake! -Lilly suddently said.

-AHH -She leaned on the doorknob while recovering from the fright.

-Ha, I really took you by surprise.

-Fuck! You look like a hauting.
-Did you mention Jake?

-Yes.

-Alright, let's discuss this inside because it's too dangerous here at this time.

They entered the house.

-Okay, what's your plan?

-He hasn't contacted you in the meantime, has he?

-Nope. I think he didn't have time.

-I'm assuming he wasn't arrested but had to go into hiding.

-I mean, he had to go into hiding since the shit you've done.

-I tried to rectify my mistake with the video.
-I contacted everyone who messaged me because of the video and took back my wrong accusations.

-You did no more than an obligation, but thanks. That's a beginning.

Lilly looked into Vanysh's dim and green eyes with a regret face.

-I'm so sorry I made that video, Vanysh.

Vanysh just kept staring at her, thinking about what to say.

-A lot of people who wanted to help back thwn replied to that video...

-Haha, "Help".
-I've been harassed for days.

-I can't undo what happened, but I want to make up for it.
-I not only just told these people the truth, but asked them to help us.

-...What did you do now?

-Jake's persuers have to go after every trace and clue about him, so we'll ensure that there are enough traces for them to find.

Vanysh raised her eyebrows.

-Did you think about it yourself?

-Yes. Look: -She handed her phone to Vanysh.

It was a video of a random woman wearing a black hoodie and showing Nymos's red eye that was drawn in her hand. She had posted it on social media along with a text saying "I am Jake in Germany!"

-What the...

-We are spreading false tracks of him everywhere.
-We have supporters in the whole world, and the number is getting bigger and bigger!

Vanysh instantly took her phone out of the pocket and entered social media. After scrolling once, she found many posts about the thing Lilly was just talking about.

"I just rented a billboard for #IamJake. Brasil, USA, Italy, Russia, Germany... Let's go people! Don't let em' catch our friend from #Duskwood"

The person who wrote that also posted a photo of the billboard. It was a person wearing a black hoodie and some other digital details.

There also were videos and photos of people wearing hoodies and the "V for Vendetta" mask, which Jake always used as his profile picture, along with the hashtags "#Duskwood" and "#IamJake".

-It's everywhere... Every single detail.

-All of this people are doing this for Jake, you and me.

-I am impressed. Seriously.
-You do have a power to influence people.

-Thanks...
-Well, that's what we're doing for now. Pretending to be Jake. But the important thing is the hashtag "I am Jake".
-So... I am jake. -She made the hashtag sign with her hands.

-I am Jake! -Vanysh did it as well.

They smiled at each other.

-I'm sorry for being so rude to you lately, Lilly.
-I can't say you didn't deserve, but now I do understand you.
-We are fighting for the same thing, and together we are stronger.

-I should've realized that before.
-You really are the key for everything, Vanysh.
-I admire your nobility, and I thank you for everything you're doing for my siblings.

-Jake might not be that sensitive when it comes to intuition, but he was right to think we would be a good team.

-Yes.
-Even though I think he partly did that to unite his half-sister and his girlfriend.

Vanysh got red.

-I am not-
-We're not dating.

-Yeah okay... -She laughed right after.

"Me and Jake might have nothing concrete, but I feel that Lilly is right".

-I need to go now. It's getting late.

-Alright.

Vanysh took Lilly to the door.

-Good night, Lilly.

-Good night, Vanysh. -She smiled.

Vanysh would be mistrusted towards Lilly if it wasn't for this huge thing she started.
She just wanted her sister back and was willing to do anything for that to happen, and now it's the same thing with Jake.

In the end, the two of them just needed to talk properly and understand each other, which wouldn't have happened if Jake hadn't united them.

____________________________________________

The next day was cold and a little bit dark. As the sky looked like it was about to dump water, there weren't many birds singing, but there were still crows flying around.

Two of them were on a wire close to Vanysh's window. She had been observing them since she woke up, which's 5 minutes.

-Ha, what a day. No nightmares, no disturbing sun.
-And no Jake either...

She left the window, put on a pair of sneakers, made a ponytail and went for a walk before she had to go to her new work for the first time.

*

When Vanysh passed by the park close to her house, she saw something that caught her attention.

It was a paper glued on a tree. It contained Nymos's symbol, the red eye. And of course, it had "I am Jake" written on it.

When she kept walking around the park to see if there was anything else, she noticed that every single tree had that paper. And not much longer someone wearing a black hoodie and holding that mask passed by her, walking very slowly.

She couldn't help looking at that person, and they seemed to recognize Vanysh as well.

-We are on your side. -They said after finally passing her.

Vanysh stopped walking immediately and continued looking at the mysterious person as they walked away.

-It's working. It's actually working! -She said as she smiled with hope.

Vanysh kept walking, but faster. She was hoping to see more people wearing hoodies, masks and posters glued around the town.

Fortunately, there was no disappointment. There were not only posters, but drawings on the walls and the hashtag itself.

"I am Jake"

"Save our hacker friend"

"#IamJake"

The city had a good and chaotic vibe. A vibe Vanysh had never seen or felt before. She just passed trough a group of people wearing his symbol's and writing the hashtag on the wall.

"I hope he's doing fine. And I hope It helps him somehow"

She really wanted to do something that would change everything for good. Something that would make the government confused and late.

"For it to have a big effect, a reliable source of information should be on our side..."

And that was the moment she remembered that she used to be part of the police.

"Who would the government pay more attention to than an organization that works for it?
That's it. I need to talk to Carol."

Carol was Vanysh's closest friend at Collvile, who worked with her and still is part of the police.
Vanysh knew that if there was someone in this world who would do anything for justice, this person was her.

"I am going to call her. Fuck it"

*

After 5 minutes looking for her contact, Vanysh finally found it.

-Please, answer me...

-Hello? -Carol answered.

-Carol!

-Who is this-
-Wait...
-Vanysh?
-Vanysh!!
-Oh my god, I missed you so much!

-I missed you too!
-How are you?

-I am good. Really good.
-You know, I got promoted at the police...

-I am so happy for you, Carol.

-It's not the same without you, Vanysh.
-I really wish you were here with me.

-Sometimes I wish that too...

-Wait, so you're coming back?!
-Oh my god, yes!
-Colville is not the same without you, I swear.

-I am not going back, Carol. You know why.

-Oh...
-Well, did you get better?

-Yes. A lot better.
-And I know that it's because I left that city.

-That's true, sadly.
-But I must say that I thought you were coming back to the police when your mom... Well... Died....

-No...
-You know how I was like when her illness got worse and I had to leave the police, don't you know?

-I do.
-And when she died things only got worse...

-I could never go back to the police in that state. I just needed time, which I'm having right now.

-Really?
-Are you actually happy by working as a designer?

-Well, that has always been my plan "B".
-So yea, it isn't that bad.
-It's my first day of work today here in Duskwood, actually.

-I'm glad to hear that.
-But don't you miss the emotion?

-Ha, yea, I used to.
-You have no idea of what's happening in my life now.

-Actually...
-There has been some things floating around on the internet about stuff in Duskwood. Some related to you and a mysterious, government-wanted hacker.
-I was going to call you today and ask about it, I swear to god.

-Ha. Seems like I did it first.
-But well, that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you about.
-But I need you to open your mind.

-You know I always do.
-You can talk to me, Vanysh. Are you in trouble?

-Hm... I don't know how to put this.
-As you may have heard, this Hanna has disappeared. The hacker and I were even accused of being behind all of this.

-Yes, I saw the video. Total bullshit.

-Yea.
-Well, the truth is: We are actually looking for Hanna. Trying to find her.

-Wait, what?!
-You got involved with a kidnapp case?

-Kind of...

-Hahah
-You can run from the I.P, but the I.P will never leave you.

-Mhmhm yea...
-Anyway, I'm probably only in the middle of this because this girl Hanna sent MY number to her boyfriend before she vanished.
-Don't ask me why, I'm still trying to figure it out.

-Oh. Oh. Oh.
-That's a lot of information!
-Is the Duskwood police working along with you?

-No. And it's better this way.

-I see...
-But how is this hacker involved?

-It's personal for him. But it's nothing important to mention.

-Okaay...
-And how is the search for her going?

-Hum... Let's say it's just going.
-I found out many things and secrets already.
-I am going to find her.

-I know you are. If anyone can do this, this person is you.

-So, about the hacker.
-He is in serious trouble because of that video. That's why this "I am Jake" thing started.

-Ohh
-You started it?

-No. That same girl who fucked him did.

-Whaaat?

-Yea. I'm still in shock.
-Anyway, I like this hacker a lot and I need to do something to help him.
-He's being hunted by the worst part of the government because he leaked compromising information about them.

-That must've been something REALLY serious, Vansyh.

-I know.
-But here is the thing:
-He is not being persecuted for being bad, but because they did something bad and can't let it be discovered or leaked.
-Jake is a threat for them.

-Oh...

-So, I thought you would understand what I am about to ask you because you always fighted for justice, and we both know that even our side is corrupt if you dig deep enough.
-I need you to spread false information about his whereabouts as if it was the actual high level police.

-Because the government would take it very seriously...

-Exactly.

-But sooner or later they will discover the truth.

-That's true.
-But when that happens, Jake will already be far gone.

-So you're trying to get him time?

-Yes.
-Please, Carol. I need your help.

-How am I even supposed to do that?

-You now have access to the police computers, don't you?

-Yes...

-The way things are going, finding him is almost like an order for everyone, not just the "bad guys". They're going to put you to do part of their job sooner or later. You know it.
-I just need you to spread the information about him as if you were actually helping them.
-But no one can know who started it, or else you will be in trouble.
-And when they find out it was a lie but don't get a culprit, it will be given as a sabotage. Soon they will think their system has been invaded.

-Wow...
-You've always had a wicked mind, didn't you?

-Just for the good stuff hahaha.
-But well, are you going to help me?

-Vanysh...
-I-

She didn't say anything for the next 10 seconds.

-I will.
-You are right. If we are fighting for justice, we are not figthing for the bad and deep side of the government.
-But I am mainly doing it for you. You've helped me with everything I ever needed and never left me.
-I know you didn't stay at Colville or at the police for personal problems and that you have always been with me regardless all of that.

-Thank you, Carol.
-Thank you so fucking much. You have no idea of how much it means to me.

-I think I do, actually...

-What do you mean?

-How can I say this without being intrusive...
-You and this Hacker Jake have a "thing" by any chance?

-Ahh I can't never scape this question

-I knew it!
-So that is true?

-It's complicated.
-You know, we have never even met yet.

-Oh...
-But anyway, I can already see that he is important for you just by the way you talk about him. And that's the other reason why I'm doing this.

-You are amazing.

-I'm doing it yet today.
-I'll update you when It's done.

-Alright.
-Thank you!

-Take care.

-You too.

They hung up.

-YES! -Vanysh said out loud with happiness.

"Now I just wait."

*

It was 8 A.M. and finally time for Vanysh to go to work. She wore a black blazer, boots and that same ponytail.

The place was now full of people and even more full of "#IamJake". Vanysh couldn't believe it when she saw all of those posters.

-Vanysh Webster? -A man asked.

-That's me.

-It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Albert. -He reached out for a handshake.

-It's nice to meet you too.
-So, do you work here?

-Yes, I do.

-So you're my fellow here at the company.

-Actually, I am your boss.

Vanysh turned red with embarrassment.

-But I can still be your fellow -He smiled.

-Haha...
-So...?
-How will things work here?

-Well, you're going to have your own desk, which is where you are going to do your stuff.
-We eventually will require your skills for any project that comes up, but while there isn't one, you'll have free time to organize or do what you need to do here.
-Remember, your departure is at 11 A.M., but if you need to stay longer to solve projects and etc..., you can stay until later.

-Alright. Thanks.
-Where can I find my desk?

The man kept looking around as if he was looking for someone.

-Tasha! -He said out loud.

-Hey, Boss. How can I help? -The woman asked.

Albert:
-This is Vanysh, your new-

Tasha:
-Vanysh!

Vanysh:
-Tasha!

Albert:
-Do you know each other?

Vanysh:
-She showed me around and made some questions when I first came here.

Albert:
-Mhm, I see.
-Well, it's a good thing you know each other. Your desks are at the same room.

Tasha:
-Really?
-That's awsome.
-Can I take Vanysh there already?

Albert:
-Yes, please.

Vanysh:
-Alright then, bye.

Albert:
-Bye. Have a nice first day.

Then, Tasha took Vanysh to their actual work place.

-Oh, this is nice.

-I know, right?
-Well, I'm going to my desk now because I need to finish this thing I started, but if you need anything, just call me.

-Alright. Thank you.

-You're welcome.

"Well, now it's time to organize my desk"

____________________________________________

It was 11 A.M. and Vanysh got off work.

In the way to her house, Lilly started calling.

-Have you seen the hashtag?
-More posts are being uploaded at every minute!

-Yes. And not only that, but I've also seen many posters about it.

-We're getting stronger.

-Yes.
-Lilly, I did something which I think will help us quite a lot.

-What is it?

-So, as I used to be part of the police and I know how some stuff work in there, I asked to a friend of mine, who is still a cop, to spread wrong information about him as if it was coming from the actual high level police.

-Wait, you're a cop?!

-No, I left the police about 5 or 4 years ago.

-Why did you do that?

-To take care of my mom and some personal stuff.
-Anyway, this friend of mine said she will do this today.

-Wow.
-You know, I think being from the police really matches you, even though that's ironic considering everything.

-Haha, yes.

-Anyway, that's a huge deal, Vanysh.
-We are going to get Jake a large amount of time!

-I hope it helps him out.

-It will. Every single thing counts.
-I'm sure we're helping him this way.

-Do you think he knows that we are doing this for him?

-Definetely. Although is wierd that he hasn't gotten in touch yet.
-I mean, he would at least send you a message...
-Right?

Before Vanysh answered Lilly, someone sent a message in the friend group that really got Vanysh's attention.

Richy:
-What in the world is #Iamjake?🤨

He sent a photo of one of the posters.

-And why do I get the feeling that Vanysh is involved somehow 🤔😐

-Vanysh? -Lilly asked.

-Oh! Sorry, Lilly.
-The others are finding out about "I am Jake".

-Oh...

-But we both knew this would happen eventually.

-You're right. I completely blocked those guys until now.
-Now what?
-We can't tell them who Jake really is...
-But on the other hand, It would be good if they knew.

-No, no.
-Jake asked us to keep this secret, and so it will be.

-I know...

-We will tell them as little as possible.

-Yea. It's for the best.
-Alright then, let's get it over with.

-We'll manage.
-I'll put you in the group again.

-Alright.

Vanysh was already home when she hung up, but the conversation in the group kept going.

Cleo:
-I had something like this in my facebook earlier too.

Dan:
-Yep. Definetely Vanysh

"+Vanysh added Lilly"

Vanysh:
-What made you think it was me?

Dan:
-It's just your style.

Cleo:
-Vanysh? What's this all about?

Vanysh:
-Well, this time It wasn't even my plan.

Lilly:
-Jake's in trouble.

Vanysh:
-I think everyone here remembers of Lilly's video.

Lilly:
-He told me something back then.

Dan:
-Wait wait
-First of all, I'd like to know what Lilly has to do with this

Vanysh:
-Can you just wait?

Dan:
-No, I can't
-It was not long ago I gave you some good advice
-Go hunt some monsters in the forest, save the world, no problem
-But stay away from that guy
-And now Lilly switched sides or what?

Vanysh:
-There shouldn't even have sides in this situation.

Richy:
-Am I the only one who is confused here?😅

Cleo:
-Is it maybe that he acted on his threat, Lilly?
-And you just can't tell us now?

Lilly:
-What do you mean?

Cleo:
-Did Jake maybe make something private of yours public?

Lilly:
-No, he didn't.

Dan:
-But he threatened you back then and you deleted the video.

Lilly:
-No. It was completely different

Vanysh:
-Lilly, let me take the lead of this.

Lilly:
-Sure Vanysh

Vanysh:
-No more questions while I explain. Alright?
-So, for his protection we must keep some details to ourselves.
-Jake told Lilly something really important about himself back then. Something both of us know now.
-He is on our side. Even though it might not look like it right now.
-And he is innocent.
-Do you trust me?

Richy:
-Of course we do

Jessy:
-Unconditionally

Cleo:
-Yes

Vanysh:
-It's missing some people...

Thomas:
-Yes. I trust you

Dan:
-Yeah yeah

Vanysh:
-Then I need you to trust Jake as well.

Dan:
-Tch. Really great

Thomas:
-Then can we at least talk to him now?

Vanysh:
-Jake isn't in reach anymore
-We don't even know if he is okay.

Cleo:
-So this is why you're pretending to be Jake?

Vanysh:
-Yes. And this is the important part.

Lilly:
-We're hoping that this will help him to go into hiding

Cleo:
-And can you at least tell us if there is any news?

Lilly:
-Sure, we can do that

Richy:
-I'm still confused🤷🏼‍♂️
-But at least Lilly and Vanysh finally buried the hatchet😁

Vanysh:
-Yes. Thanks to Jake.

Jessy:
-But you're not getting in any danger because of this Jake thing, right?🙁

Vanysh:
-No. Don't worry.

Thomas:
-And is there any way to help you?

Lilly:
-We have already done what we could
-Now we just wait

Thomas:
-Okay
-Good luck then

Cleo:
-😔

Dan:
-Why does everyone think this is reassuring?
-We've got enough proof that this guy has always had skeletons in his closet.

Almost everyone went offline right away.

-Thanks for taking over for me just now -Lilly sent Vanysh in the private chat.

-No problem
-I could tell it wasn't easy for you.

-Yes...
-Well, now we can just hope that Jake is safe
-Can you warn me if he gets in touch with you somehow?

-Of course, Lilly.

-Bye, Vanysh.

Right after that, Richy contacted Vanysh as well.

-Do I have to tell you that I have a bad feeling about this? 😑

-Would that make you feel any better?

-No😤

-Everything will be fine, Richy. I promise
-It's important for me
-I really like Jake, you know?

-I can tell
-Aaargh😤
-Please be careful 😔

-I always am🙃

-🙁

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 1K 31
This story follows the game Duskwood, although some aspects remain the same, the rest i have created myself. Most of the characters belong to everby...
2.1M 123K 43
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
287K 11K 31
Y/N Y/L/N is 24 and fresh out of film school. She is just starting out in the acting industry and auditions for an upcoming Blake Livley movie. She g...
6.5K 414 70
where the dating ban of idols doesn't exist but a new law did! read how this new law works and find out how the chemistry between them will swoon eve...