Queen Of The Plains ( The Mat...

By LyssahTraicey

Lulu had been labeled the wild card of the Kiarie sisters and she lived up to that name. She lived her life e... More

๐ŸŒป Author's Note ๐ŸŒป
๐Ÿฆ Chapter One ๐Ÿฆ
๐Ÿ˜ Chapter Two ๐Ÿ˜
๐Ÿ„ Chapter Three ๐Ÿ„
๐Ÿ Chapter Four ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿฎ Chapter Five ๐Ÿฎ
๐Ÿ† Chapter Six ๐Ÿ†
๐Ÿพ Chapter Seven ๐Ÿพ
๐ŸฆŽ Chapter Eight ๐ŸฆŽ
๐Ÿฆ“ Chapter Nine ๐Ÿฆ“
๐Ÿฆ’ Chapter Ten ๐Ÿฆ’
๐Ÿ•ท๏ธ Chapter Eleven ๐Ÿ•ท๏ธ
๐Ÿœ Chapter Twelve ๐Ÿœ
๐ŸChapter Thirteen ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿ Chapter Fourteen ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿฆ‹ Chapter Fifteen ๐Ÿฆ‹
๐Ÿ” Chapter Sixteen ๐Ÿ”
๐Ÿฆ” Chapter Seventeen ๐Ÿฆ”
๐Ÿฟ๏ธ Chapter Eighteen ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ
๐Ÿฆก Chapter Nineteen ๐Ÿฆก
๐Ÿฆจ Chapter Twenty ๐Ÿฆจ
๐Ÿฆฆ Chapter Twenty One ๐Ÿฆฆ
๐Ÿฆฅ Chapter Twenty Two ๐Ÿฆฅ
๐Ÿ‡ Chapter Twenty Three ๐Ÿ‡
๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ Chapter Twenty Four ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
๐Ÿฆฉ Chapter Twenty Five ๐Ÿฆฉ
๐Ÿฆข Chapter Twenty Six ๐Ÿฆข
๐Ÿฆœ Chapter Twenty Seven ๐Ÿฆœ
๐Ÿฆš Chapter Twenty Eight ๐Ÿฆš
๐Ÿฆƒ Chapter Twenty Nine๐Ÿฆƒ
๐Ÿ“ Chapter Thirty ๐Ÿ“
๐Ÿˆ Chapter Thirty One ๐Ÿˆ
๐Ÿฉ Chapter Thirty Two ๐Ÿฉ
๐Ÿ•โ€ Chapter Thirty Three ๐Ÿ•โ€
๐ŸฆŒ Chapter Thirty Four ๐ŸฆŒ
๐Ÿ‘ Chapter Thirty Five ๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿฆ™ Chapter Thirty Six ๐Ÿฆ™
๐Ÿ Chapter Thirty Seven ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ Chapter Thirty Eight ๐ŸŽ
๐Ÿƒ Chapter Thirty Nine ๐Ÿƒ
๐Ÿฆ˜ Chapter Forty ๐Ÿฆ˜
๐Ÿฆ Chapter Forty Two ๐Ÿฆ
๐Ÿฆ› Chapter Forty Three ๐Ÿฆ›
๐Ÿฆง Chapter Forty Four ๐Ÿฆง
๐Ÿฆ Chapter Forty Five ๐Ÿฆ
๐ŸŠ Chapter Forty Six ๐ŸŠ
๐Ÿข Chapter Forty Seven ๐Ÿข
๐Ÿž Chapter Forty Eight ๐Ÿž
๐Ÿฆ… Chapter Forty Nine ๐Ÿฆ…
๐Ÿบ Chapter Fifty ๐Ÿบ
๐Ÿป Chapter Fifty One ๐Ÿป
๐Ÿฃ Epilogue ๐Ÿฃ

๐Ÿซ Chapter Forty One ๐Ÿซ

336 28 0
By LyssahTraicey

LULU'S POV

"Why did you wait so long to bring me here?"I scolded James as I watched a herd of elephants drink water from the river bank.

"Because you wouldn't let me."James gritted out probably pissed off by my accusation.

"Yeah well you should have tried harder."I retorted.

I heard James growl from the driver's seat and I had to bite my cheek to hold in my smile. It was so easy to rile him up. I didn't even look his way just continued to watch the baby elephants play in the water as the mother's rolled in the mud. Oh to be an animal that just eats, drinks and plays in the mud is bliss. But if you really thought about it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows for animals like elephants. There was poaching for one, drought, sickness and more problems like predators.

"Drive."I demanded James softly after I ruined the view with my depressing thoughts.

Mark had informed me earlier that the elephant James had been treating was actually sick because she was in mourning. Her entire family her had been poached for their tusks, even her two year old calf. Yes apparently elephants felt sadness and could grieve for the loss of loved ones. Mark had told me that Nancy would probably die from depression which was very sad. I prayed she would make it through. She was still young and could start another family.

"From what I've seen so far the security in this park is pretty air tight, how do poachers manage to continue hunting our animals and getting away with it?"I asked James.

He looked taken back by my question and I had to agree that it was pretty random but I was feeling very emotional.

"Poachers are actually smart and they sometimes liaison with villagers from the neighboring communities who know the park well. They take weeks scoping out a specific herd from a distance, observe the shift changes and strike when they see even the slightest of chances. They have sophisticated weapons so they even mask gunshots with silencers to avoid detection."James explained.

"Can anything be done to eradicate poachers completely?"I inquired.

"The elephants are already adjusting by being born without tusks which is great but still sad. The tusks are a big part of what makes elephants special but if they have to lose them to protect themselves then so be it. The KWS do their best but honestly the thieves are determined and they have a lot of motivation because of the money they get."James replied.

I sulked back in my seat mulling over his words. My work at Ndoto was almost complete and I had to start thinking of what to do next with my life. Maybe I could get into wildlife conservation, that would be a noble course to take. I would have to think about it thoroughly though but it was a good idea.

"Hey no more mopping, we're here to have fun."James declared shoving me playfully.

I looked at him and smiled when I saw the grin on his face. He probably knew what I was thinking about and I knew how passionate he was about wildlife conservation so he understood sadness. He was right though, I didn't want to ruin our date by being so negative so I decided to focus on the positive and enjoy the drive.

"Okay no more mopping. Where are we going next?"I asked noticing the trail we were on had faded tire tracks meaning it wasn't used often.

"It's a secret of the park, it's too far in to take the tourists but a lot of the game wardens know about it and take those really passionate about nature for an extra fee of course. You my beautiful queen are going to see it for free courtesy of your boyfriend."James answered with a happy grin.

"Ill not even ask what it is, just smile and let you lead the way. It sounds pretty interesting."I grinned.

"It is."James insisted.

The path we were on got even rougher taking the meaning of off the beaten path literally but it was fun for me so I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It looked like we were going up hill but not exactly up a hill. I looked outside my window to get a better view of where we were going and noticed we were driving up a plateau. Descending would be a bitch but at least it wasn't that stiff of a climb plus my jeep was built for rough roads so she could make it. We finally got it the top and James parked the car just outside a very dense tree line. I jumped out of the jeep my boots hitting the slightly damp ground with a satisfying crunch.

"We have to walk to the spot but it isn't much further."James informed me getting out of the jeep.

"I thought this was the view."I replied looking at all the vast land on the horizon.

It was beautifully breathtaking.

"This is only a taste."James replied.

"Okay but can we take the food with us, we've been driving for hours. It's almost midday and I'm hungry."I requested.

"Great idea, we might be up here a while."James agreed retrieving the picnic basket from the backseat.

He also grabbed a blanket from the trunk before locking the car and pocketing the keys. He took my hand and led me past the tree line into the forest. I gave myself a mental thumbs up for wearing boots instead of sneakers because of how dense the undergrowth was.

After a five minute minute walk we managed to cross the forest and it opened up to a huge ravine. It looked like the plateau had cracked into two and there was a waterfall but I could not see its source yet we were standing right on top of it. There was no river or stream around.

"Where's the waterfalls source?"I asked James.

"The waterfall sources from a spring in a cave that's beneath our feet but we're not going in there."James replied when he saw me light up at the mention of the cave.

"Why not?"I grumbled with a pout.

"Because it's not safe, even I have never been in there."James insisted.

With the tone of voice he had used I knew there was no room for discussion. We found the perfect spot with the perfect view of the waterfall and the ravine to lay our blanket. I kicked off my boots and lay on my back on the blanket looking up at a perfect blue sky, my skin warming up from the heat of the sun but still shielded by the tree shade.

"If this wasn't protected government land I would buy this plateau and build my house here away from civilization right in the middle nature."I sighed feeling completely at peace in that moment.

"I don't care where you live as long as you take me with you."James replied making me chuckle.

"You're stuck with me Jamie."I assured him.

"Good, now sit up, it's time to get some food in you."James declared tugging my arm.

I reluctantly peeled my eyes away from the beautiful sky and sat up. James had spread out all that was in the picnic basket and there was wine, juice, bottled water, beer, fruits, sandwiches and bread.

"Look at us continuing with our picnic date tradition, I love this."I commented as I popped a strawberry into my mouth.

"Me too, you look beautiful."James ew randomly complimented me making me smile.

"Thank you."I replied even though I didn't quite believe him.

I was dressed in a pair of shorts and a cropped tank top. I wouldn't say I was dressed badly but I wasn't at my best either.

"Go easy on the beer, you're driving back."I warned James when I saw him reach for a bottle.

"I know, I'm just having this one to help with digestion."He grinned making me roll my eyes at him.

We shared the food and drinks as we talked about everything that came to mind. James was right we hadn't spent that much time together since Christmas except for his birthday. I had been so caught up in wrapping up my project at Ndoto that I'd pushed him aside and that wasn't fair to him. At least he was an understanding boyfriend otherwise he would have already dumped me for neglecting him.

"You do know that I love you right?"I asked James out of nowhere.

He looked at me weird before smiling and nodding.

"Yeah of course I do, why?"

"Nothing just making sure that you know how I feel about you."I grinned leaning closer to kiss him softly.

"Well I love you too."He replied looking a little dazed after the kiss.

I pecked his lips once more before getting up. I got up too quick so I got dizzy spell but it got better after a few seconds. I took off my socks then started unbuttoning my shorts.

"Why are you stripping? Not that I'm complaining but why?"James asked.

"I want to go for a swim."I replied taking off my shorts completely.

My tank top followed next leaving me in a black tank top and matching panties.

"Are you coming?"I asked James who was staring at my bare legs.

"Umh no, yes. I mean no, you're not jumping. It's a very high cliff and there are stones at the bottom of the pool down there."James warned getting up.

"It's not that high and I've jumped off higher places than this, I'll be fine. And besides don't tell me you haven't jumped here before."I asked walking towards the top of the waterfall.

I looked down and I had to admit that James was right. It was quite the jump but I was right too, I'd jumped off higher places. James' silence let me know that I was right that he had jumped off the same place.

"It's your loss."I grinned turning my back to him.

"Lulu I'm serious, don't you dare jump."James yelled but I was already past listening to him.

I took a deep breath and jumped. I was soaring for a few seconds before my hands cut through the ice cold water below and my whole body was submerged under the freezing water. I held my breath too early so I ran out of air fast. I emerged a few seconds later my teeth clattering from the temperature change. I looked up just in time to jump out of the way before James crashed into me. He splashed the water soaking me all over again, not like I wasn't already wet.

"You never ever do that again."James scolded pointing a finger at me as soon as he emerged from under the water.

He looked really worried making me feel guilty.

"Sorry."I mumbled swimming towards him.

I wrapped myself around him like a vine taking in as much body heat from him as I could.

"You scared me. I know you're a daredevil but don't play with my feelings like that."He scolded again.

I mumbled another apology and kissed him softly hoping to take away his worry. I knew he had forgiven me when he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him.

I could feel his bare legs against mine and he was shirtless but he had a pair of boxers on as far as I could tell.

"Now that you are already down here with me, why don't we have some fun?"I requested James pulling away from him.

"It's not like I have a choice."He grunted but I could see the hidden smile at the corner of his lips.

I splashed him and he splashed me back which led to a very playful session of us trying to drown each other. The pool where the waterfall was draining didn't have that much access to sunlight so the water was freezing. When it got too cold for us to stay in any longer James insisted we get out of the water. I didn't want to leave even if my teeth were clattering.

"Look at you, you're already turning blue. Let's go."James demanded swimming towards me.

"No.. I'm.. Not."I stuttered.

James rolled his eyes at me and before I could protest he picked me up and slung me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"Jamie put me down."I yelled hitting his back.

James didn't pay attention to me, just started walking out of the water.

"James Lankenua Koinet put me down this instant."I demanded but it's like I was talking to a wall.

James started taking a small path hidden by the bushes that led back to the top of the plateau.

As he was carrying me, James was careful enough to make sure that I didn't get hit on the face by any bushes. That would have made me angrier than I already was.

"You're seriously going to carry me all the way out there?"I asked changing tactics.

I didn't mind James carrying me but the position he had put me in was slightly uncomfortable and a little embarrassing. Good thing we were in the jungle without anyone else around to see me being hauled around like a rucksack.

"Yes it's not like you're that heavy."James replied.

He was already halfway up the slope so I just let him do what he wanted.

When we got back to where we had abandoned our stuff James set me back down gently onto the blanket.

"That was not fun at all."I grumbled as I lay on my back.

"It wasn't meant to be fun."James retorted lying next to me.

We didn't have any towels with us and there was no fun in putting on clothes while wet so we let the sun do its magic.

"The pool was fun."I commented turning to look at James.

"Yeah it was."He replied meeting my gaze.

His locks were wet but he had untied them and spread them out so they could dry faster. I really had won the lottery when it came to having a handsome boyfriend. The tall handsome samburu moran was all mine.

We lay there for about twenty more minutes before we got up to get dressed since James declared he had one more spot to show me before we wrapped the day up.

As James was picking up his pants to put them back on a box fell out of his pocket. I bent to pick it up for him and my eyes nearly fell out of their pockets when I realized what I was holding.

"Don't."James yelled but it was too late.

I'd already seen the box and opened it to reveal a beautiful three diamond ring set on a gold band.

I straightened up to look at James who was looking at me like a deer caught in headlights.

My heart was fighting to beat out of my chest in shock. I already knew James was going to propose at some point but I'd been so busy at work I'd forgotten about the fact that he had asked for my hand in marriage from my family.

"That was not how I'd planned for you to find the ring."James spoke up breaking the silence between us.

I tried to speak but no words came out so I just stood there with an open ring box in my hand gaping at James. Slowly and carefully James took the box from my hand and retrieved the ring. He tossed the box aside and before I could stop him he went down on one knee.

The reality of the situation hit me with that single move. James was about to propose to me and we were both in our underwear with wet hair and red eyes.

Without intending to I burst out laughing before James could even start talking. James looked at me weird wondering if I'd finally cracked but the more he looked at me like that the harder I laughed. My knees went weak and I ended up kneeling in front of him trying to stifle my laughter.

"Share the joke so we can both laugh."James requested fighting a smile.

I was finally able to control my laughter enough to explain myself. I didn't want James to think I was laughing at him.

"You want to propose and we're both in our underwear. It's definitely not how I thought you would propose and I'm sure it's not how you had planned it either."I laughed.

"You're right, it's not but here we are. It's not like I can put the box back in my pocket and pretend you didn't see it."James replied.

"No that can't happen. But just to clarify things, you were going to propose today right?"I asked James as it was the only reasonable explanation why he had the ring with him.

"Yeah at sunset, just over the ridge where you can see the the whole savannah below us."He replied and I smiled.

"That's beautiful James, I'm sorry for ruining it."I apologized.

"You didn't ruin it, I've stressed over how I was going to ask for months and though I didn't imagine it this way it's okay too. If you ask me, this is great because perfect moments don't just appear, we create them. The moment we are in right now is perfect, so what do you say. Will you marry me?"James asked.

When his words registered in my brain the world stopped revolving for a minute and everything went still. It was just me, aware of my thumping heartbeat looking at my handsome boyfriend as he held out the very expensive but beautiful looking engagement ring at me. I had always expected to freak out when someone finally asked me to settle down with them but all I felt was peace. My heart rate slowed down and my thoughts stopped racing. In that moment I knew that James was my resting place. I'd been all over the world looking for something worth settling for and I'd found it in my home country, at a small village called Ndoto in the middle of the dessert in the arms of the most handsome man I'd ever laid my eyes on.

"Baby are you still with me?"James asked snapping his fingers in front of my eyes.

I blinked twice the world resuming it's rotation and I was back with James.

"Yeah, sorry, I spaced out."I apologized embarrassed.

"It's okay, I'm sorry for springing this on you so suddenly but it's just you and me. I'm not going to do a whole speech because I'm not that good with words so I'll just say this. Lulu I don't have much to offer you when it comes to material wealth since its clear you are richer than me but I can offer you my mind, my heart, my soul and my body to do as you please. I want my home to be your home forever. Please say yes and marry me?"He asked again.

This time I didn't hesitate to answer.

"Yes James, my Jamie. I will marry you."I agreed launching myself at him to kiss him.

James fell back on the blanket, kissing me back his arms around me. I wasn't a crier but in that moment I was so happy a few tears of joy escaped my eyes.

James pulled away and took my left hand sliding the ring on my finger. I took my time admiring it and it looked really expensive.

"You definitely didn't make this."I commented making James laugh.

"No I didn't, I bought it."He replied.

"When? Where?"I asked in surprise.

"In Nairobi when we went to the mall with your family."He answered.

"You've had this for three months?"I exclaimed shocked.

"Yes it's been burning a hole in my pocket but I finished paying for it last week, Isaac helped me with the collateral. I couldn't propose to you with something that was on loan."James explained.

"Oh, Jamie you didn't have to get me something so extravagant."I sighed unable to tear my eyes away from it.

It was lighter than you'd expect a three diamond ring to be. Simple but extravagant at the same time.

"You don't like it?"James asked in panic.

"Baby no I love it but I would have been just as in love with something simpler. Honestly if you'd made one out of beads I would still have said yes."I assured him.

"I didn't want to give you something simple, you deserve the world Lulu and this is me trying to give you a piece of it."James said making me smile.

"Well in that case I have nothing to say except that I love you and I can't wait to marry you. For this ring, I'll pop out all the babies you want."I grinned making him laugh.

"I'll take your word for it."He smiled kissing me.

I kissed him back before laying on his chest admiring the ring. My sisters were going to have field day when I told them. Good thing they would be coming in two weeks. I'd wait to tell them personally.

"I love you so much."I sighed kissing James naked chest.

"I love you more. Thank you for saying yes."James replied kissing my slightly damp hair.

Yeap I was now an engaged woman and I couldn't be happier.

🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

I know these photos don't fit the half dressed description of James and Lulu but when I saw this couple's engagement photos I couldn't help but think of my characters. He has James' dreads and she has Lulu's short hair so I just had to share it. Feel free to imagine them however you want 🤗.

🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

Oh the motivation I need to complete this book needs to come from heaven above but I am trying my best and I am not giving up until its complete. One chapter at a time.

I know you guys see a proposal and think uh oh book over but that's not the case here. I have loose ends that need tightening and a whole lot of action waiting. You have to read the next chapter to find out because boy's and girls it's about to get wild 😁😁. No pun intended.

Vote

Comment

Share

Love@Lyssah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 19.3K 24
Savannah Patterson thought that she'd get married and have a family before her little sister did. Even after breaking up with her almost fiancรฉ after...
55 0 20
Ollie had the looks that could afford him any girl. He had nerves of still and the hunger for more, so much more out of life. Friends are always good...
115K 4K 23
Joanne's life was moving on smoothly despite the struggles she was going through with her family. As if leaving pay cheque to pay cheque wasn't stres...
85.3K 7.9K 24
Mave Stevens has lived a dream life as a famous actress in a famous family, but she never thought fame would put her in danger. Having survived being...