The Avenger's Soul

By baeareavibez

Billy doesn't know what her powers are. She has too many to count. She was taken by HYDRA when she was just a... More

Author's Note
CopyRight/CopyWRITE
Escape Attempt #9
New Life - Take 1
New Life - Take 2
0-8-4 (Part 1)
0-8-4 (Part 2)
The Asset (Part 1)
The Asset (Part 2)
The Girl in the Flower Dress (Part 1)
The Girl in the Flower Dress (Part 2)
FZZT
The Hub (Part 1)
The Hub (Part 2)
The Well
Repairs
The Bridge
The Magical Place (Part 1)
The Magical Place (Part 2)
Author's Note
Seeds (Part 1)
Seeds (Part 2)
T.R.A.C.K.S
TAHITI
New Life - Take 3
Hello, Goodbye
Lexi - Defender of Man (New Life - Take 4)
Meeting the Team
Loki
Thor
Discord
Author's Note
Released
Publishing?!
Phase 2
Potential Crossover
Loki's Escape
The Battle of New York (Part 1)
Suspicions
New Life - Take 4
There's No Place Like Shield
End of the Beginning (Part 1)
End of the Beginning (Part 2)
Turn, Turn, Turn (Part 1)
Turn, Turn, Turn (Part 2)
Providence (Part 1)
Providence (Part 2)
The Only Light in the Darkness (Part 1)
The Only Light in the Darkness (Part 2)
The Cap's Birthday
Nothing Personal (Part 1)
Nothing Personal (Part 2)
Nothing Personal (Part 3)
Ragtag (Part 1)
Ragtag (Part 2)
Beginning of the End (Part 1)
Beginning of the End (Part 2)
Shadows
Making Friends & Influencing People
The Secret Room (Part 1)
The Secret Room (Part 2)
A Fractured House
The Writing on the Wall (Part 1)
The Writing on the Wall (Part 2)
The Things We Bury (Part 1)
The Things We Bury (Part 2)
Ye Who Enter Here
Author's Note/New Story!
Another New Story

The Battle of New York (Part 2)

769 31 23
By baeareavibez

Lexi's POV

"Call it, Captain," Tony said.

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash.

"Wanna give me a lift?" I heard Clint ask Tony. I sighed, wishing that my wings would hurry up and heal already - but it seemed to be taking longer than it would normally take. Hmm...maybe my wings were more delicate than the rest of me? Hydra had thankfully left my wings alone during their experiments so I had never experienced the heal time for them until now.

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas!" Tony warned as he grabbed Clint and flew him up to the top of a building, then flew off again.

"Thor! You gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow 'em down. You got the lightning, light the bastards up!" Steve instructed. I did my best not to stare too hard, but man it was difficult to focus on anything while watching him go all Captain America...how was a girl supposed to concentrate with THAT going on right in front of her! The man was sex on a stick!

"You, me, and Natasha, we stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk!" I looked over to see the Hulk turn around to face Cap, who pointed at him.

"Smash!" I shouted at him with two thumbs up. Hulk grinned at me, then leapt off, taking out dozens of warriors that were on the sides of the buildings - grabbing them, smashing them, throwing them.

I pivoted left and right, doing my best to protect both Steve and Natasha at the same time, but there were so many Chitauri surrounding us that it was getting more and more difficult. I watched on in fear as Natasha was thrown upon a car and the warrior she was fighting was about to attack. I was about to rush forward when she used her Widow's Bite on it, shocking him out.

"Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal!" Natasha pointed out as we were finally able to fight our way over to her.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it," Steve said worriedly.

"Well, maybe it's not about guns," I suggested, I mean we were dealing with Asguardians here.

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride," Steve pointed out. I frowned as I realized he was right. My wings were still nowhere near healed enough to lift me at the moment. I glanced around looking for ideas when I suddenly came up with a mad one.

"You two ok to handle things down here?" I asked, looking at Steve and Natasha. They nodded their heads in confirmation though I could tell that they were both curious as to what I was about to do. I grinned wickedly at them as I made my way over to the other side of the overpass. "I got a ride. I could use a boost though," I told Steve, accepting the earpiece that Natasha slipped me along the way. At least now I would be able to properly communicate with everyone rather than having to rely on my super hearing.

"You sure about this?" He said, unsure as he readied his shield in front of him.

"Yeah, are you kidding? It's gonna be fun! Tony has no idea what he's missing out on!" I exclaimed as I ran at Captain America, who used his shield to boost me up.

I grabbed on to a passing Chitauri vehicle, using it as a way to climb higher into the sky. I leapt back and forth, knocking out as many foes as I could, while trying to be strategic so that I didn't end up falling. I didn't think it would do me any good to tempt faith with a fourth fall out of the sky.

I climbed aboard the craft in front of me, pulled out a dagger and stabbed the
warrior in front of me. I then spun around and kicked him off the craft, making my way
to the other one and using him to control the vehicle.

"Turn, turn, Ah!" I cried out as two crafts came up on me, firing. I swerved to avoid them and watched as the crafts were blasted away by Iron Man. I sent him a thumbs up as he flew off.

A few more shots rang out behind me and I turned to see Loki on another craft, following behind.

"Hey there, little spitfire," he called out to me. I didn't bother to reply, though I felt a certain thrill at our chase. I got the sense that Loki was just messing with me, I don't know why, but I was sure that he wouldn't actually try to harm me and that in another time and place we would have had a lot of fun. But now was not the time to lose my focus. I continued on toward the building Clint was at.

"Hawkeye!" I called out into the ear piece Natasha had given to me.

"Lexi, what are you doing?" Clint shouted at me.

"Uh, a little help!" I called back.

"I got it!" Clint said, aiming and firing, only for Loki to catch the arrow inches from his face. He looked at it, then at Clint, smirking.

Before I could say or do anything, the arrow exploded, sending Loki crashing onto the platform at the top of Stark Tower.

I steered my ride over to the Tower and jumped down, flipping in the air as I did so before landing right next to Loki.

Loki was so busy staring up at me that he didn't notice when the Hulk leapt up, grabbing him and throwing him through the window of the penthouse. I have no idea why, but my natural instinct was to run over and shield Loki as the Hulk roared and moved towards him, as he got to his feet. I managed to resist the urge.

"ENOUGH! You are, all of you, except my little spitfire of course, beneath me! I AM GOD, YOU DULL CREATURE, AND I WILL NOT BE BULLIED BY-" Loki started to say.

Hulk grabbed Loki by the feet and smashed him into the floor repeatedly, then threw him aside and walked away.

"Puny God," Hulk said as Loki whimpered in pain, clearly having been beaten into submission. I frowned as I sensed his pain. Once this was all over I really needed to work on getting this empathy power or whatever it was under control! I didn't want to go around feeling everyone's emotions and pain all the time! What good did that do?

I sighed in relief as Natasha showed up a few minutes later. I had no idea what to do. We walked over towards the Tesseract.

"The scepter" I heard a man say. My guess was he was the Selvig guy that had been mentioned earlier.

"Doctor," Natasha said, kneeling down to him, confirming my suspicions.

"Loki's scepter, the energy- the Tesseract can't fight. You can't protect against yourself," the doctor said.

"It's not your fault. You didn't know what you were doing," Natasha said.

"Well, actually I think I did. I built in a safety to cut the power source," he told us. My eyes opened wide in realization.

"Loki's scepter!" I said in surprise.

"It may be able to close the portal. And I'm looking right at it," Dr. Selvig said, looking down to the platform below where I saw Loki's scepter laying where it had dropped from when the Hulk had taken him out.

I climbed down and retrieved the scepter and the three of us stared in shock as it flowed gold at my touch. I shrugged it off assuming it was similar to the Beserker staff and wanting to focus on the task at hand.

"Right at the crown!" Selvig instructed me.

I began to push the spear through the barrier surrounding the cube, but it was hard to break, which was saying something considering I had superhuman strength.

"I can close it. Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down!" I called out into my earpiece

"Do it!" I heard Steve shout back.

"No, wait!" I then heard Tony call back.

"Stark, these things are still coming!" Steve argued.

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute, and I know just where to put it." I stared at Natasha and quickly handed her the scepter as I ran back towards the landing pad and stared up at the sky. I had a dreadful feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

"Stark, you know that's a one way trip," I heard Steve say solemnly. Yup, I was right. This was not going to end well. I turned back towards Natasha.

"Make sure no one else decides to do something stupid," I told her as I unfurled my wings. I bit my lips against the sharp pains that shot through my back as I quickly examined them. The holes had mostly closed up, but it was still going to be iffy.

"Your about to do something stupid yourself," Natasha pointed out as she quirked her brows at me and crossed her arms.

"I'm allowed to do stupid stuff, you and the others are not," I replied, shrugging my shoulders. I had no idea why I felt so protective of the others considering how little time we had actually gotten to spend together but maybe it was just because they were the first faces I had seen that weren't Hydra? Who knows. I walked over to the very edge of the landing pad and nervously peered down. It was a good thing I wasn't scared of heights considering how high up we were, but I was extremely nervous about the durability of my wings in their current state.

As Iron Man flew by, my enhanced sight caught Thor and Cap looking to the sky. I watched as Tony redirected the missile, barely missing Stark Tower, and pushed it up towards the portal. I launched myself off of the tower and did my best not to scream as I plummeted straight to the ground. I flapped my wings hard and just barely managed to stop myself from slamming into the pavement.

I clenched my jaw as I pushed hard against the wind, rising slowly into the sky in a very jagged path towards where Tony was aiming the nuke.

I managed to follow him through the hole in the sky and stared in shock at my first glimpse of outer space. If I hadn't been so focused on making sure Tony made it out alive, I would have stayed here for hours just staring at all the stars.

I watched with worry as Iron Man let the nuke go as all the lights in his suit went out. I darted  forward, somewhere in the back of my head, realizing that apparently my wings worked even in outer space (which was probably good to know for the future) and I wrapped myself and my wings around Tony and together we watched as the missile hit the Chitauri mother ship and exploded, the blast sending us flying backwards back towards the hole. Seeing as the heat from the blast had seared my already injured wings, I could only use our natural flight path and momentum to ensure that we made it back through the portal before it closed.

"It's going to be okay, Tony, I've got you," I whispered as we stared in horror as the ground rushed towards us.

I did my best to slow down our descent but my wings had taken too much of a beating and were pretty much useless at this point. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Thor and the Hulk trying to reach us but they were too far away and I knew they weren't going to be able to reach us in time.

I wrapped myself tighter around Tony, knowing that at least my injuries would heal whereas his might not, and prepared for the impact.

I bit down so hard that I split my lip as we hit the ground and rolled over and over. I made sure to keep a tight grip on the Iron Man suit in my arms until we finally came to a stop. I released him with a groan as I blinked blearily up at him. My entire body was aching and covered in all kinds of bruises. I was pretty sure I had broken my arm and a few ribs as well. I tried to stand up, but immediately saw the ground rushing towards me again before a pair of strong arms caught me.

"If you keep catching me, I'm going to have to put you on the payroll," I mumbled to Steve as he laid me down gently, with my head resting in his lap.

"There'd be no need to pay me, ma'am, I'd catch you for free any time," he said grinning down at me, though I could see the worry in his eyes.

"What did I say about calling me ma'am" I complained as I rolled my eyes and tried to sit up. He forced me back down. "How's Tony, is he alright?" I asked instead.

"I'm fine, sweetheart, thanks to you!" I heard someone say. I looked over to my right to see Tony kneeling down next to me. He had removed his face plate and was staring at me with the same worried expression as Steve. I lifted my hand up and placed it on top of his arc reactor which was thankfully pulsing steadily and glowing as bright as ever.

"You, Tony Stark, are a complete idiot," I told him. He chuckled but didn't disagree as I turned back to look at Steve. "And you Steve Rogers, were wrong." He raised an eyebrow at me, clearly confused about what he had been wrong on, so I clarified for him. "Tony is most definitely the kind of guy to lay down on a wire," I started to say before glancing back at Tony, before finishing my sentence, "even though he is smart enough to know which wire to cut," I hissed out. I groaned as I tried to sit up again only for Tony to push me back down, as Natasha, Thor, Bruce (now shifted back into his human form), Clint, and the guy in the spider outfit came up to us.

"Hi!" I said waving to the newcomer. "I never did get your name! Mine's Alexa, though you can call me Lexi if you want," I said, smiling at him as he glanced around to make sure we were alone before pulling off his mask.

"Hey, I'm Peter, Peter Parker," he said with a blush.

"Thanks for catching me earlier, Peter," I said as I once again tried and failed to sit up. Which then got me started on a coughing fit and I had to roll over on my stomach before I started dry heaving. I stared at the ground as I realized I was coughing up blood. Well that can't be good, I thought to myself. I glanced up at everyone but found that my vision was going blurry and their faces were starting to fade in and out.

"Hey, what happened to her hair?" I heard Peter ask. Huh? I reached up and lifted a strand of my hair to my eyes, squinting as I tried to make it out against my blurred vision. I could barely see at this point but I could tell that it had gone from white back to its original dark brown.

"Well fuck," I said before passing out.

3rd Person POV

The avengers (along with Spider-Man) stared down at the girl in front of them as they started to watch the glamour fade. Thor gently rolled her over and there was a round of gasps from everyone as they recognized her.

"Oh my god, Skye!" Natasha cried out.

"Skye, who's Sky?" Thor, Peter, and Bruce asked at the same time.

"Our soulmate," Tony said as he bent down and carefully lifted his soulmate into his arms and headed towards the tower. He knew she would be able to heal on her own, but wanted her to heal away from the cameras in private.

"Your soulmate? But lady Lexi is my soulmate," Thor boomed out confused as the rest of the group trailed after Tony, all wanting explanations.

Brief Summary: I didn't really know what to write for this part so I figured I'd just give a brief summary though if you readers do want me to write a scene out for this then let me know and if enough people want it I will add it in eventually. Basically they set her up in the couch in Tony's lab, go upstairs and apprehend Loki, and then go back upstairs to the main floor where they tell Thor, Bruce and Peter about Skye helping them escape from Hydra then disappearing on them and then running into her again at the Hub and realizing that she might not know what her soulmate marks say and therefore have no idea about their connection. They then apologize to Tony for not having told him sooner that they were in contact with Skye, Tony is of course upset at first but then gets distracted when they show him the phones she designed for them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

263K 5.7K 37
Welcome my Lovely Readers to The Wings of the Broken!❤❤ ###################### The Reader has been on the run from HYDRA for about a year. After esca...
301K 10.9K 29
This whole soulmate thing was stupid for (y/n), she didn't have much hope for love in her life. But that all changes as a certain "reindeer drag quee...
Unspoken By Marie

Fanfiction

37.2K 1.2K 45
When new intel comes through about a Hydra weapon, the avengers split into two teams, one checking out a new base, while the other scours an old one...
1.2M 33.6K 71
***BOOK 2 HAS BEEN PUBLISHED!*** Best Rankings ever: #1 Soulmates #1 Thor #1 BruceBanner #1 Natasharomanoff #1 Blackwidow #1 CaptainAmerica #1 SteveR...