Serendipity: Haikyuu Fanfic

By princeoftheskies

Serendipity (n.)- luck that takes of finding valuable pleasant things that were not looked for. Luck? To him... More

Strike One
Strike Two
Strike Three
Chapter 1: Pretty...Boy?
Chapter 2: Yuuma
Chapter 3: Two Confessions
Chapter 4: Compromise
Chapter 5: Compromise, Part Two!
Chapter 6: First Meeting
Chapter 7: Practice
Chapter 8: A Challenge
Chapter 9: Admirable
Chapter 10: Bad People
Chapter 11: Gym 4-A
Chapter 12: A New Friend
Chapter 13: Grand Scheme
Chapter 14: Trouble Follows
Chapter 15: A Familliar Face
Chapter 16: A Red Nose
Chapter 17: Vague Answers
Chapter 18: Midterms
Chapter 19: Winter Shennanigans
Chapter 20: Sleeping
Chapter 21: A Mysterious Garment
Chapter 22: A Fleeting Feeling
Chapter 23: Day at the Beach
Chapter 24: The Aftermath
Chapter 25: Flour-Attacker
Chapter 26: Interrogation
Chapter 27: Stranded
Chapter 28: Murder Time
Chapter 29: A Secret
Chapter 30: A Play
Chapter 31: One Bite
Chapter 32: Hanako-san
Chapter 33: Indebted
Chapter 34: First Bracket
Chapter 35: Next Year
Chapter 36: Broken Glass and a Hairline Fracture
Chapter 37: Loosely
Chapter 38: Amemori
Chapter 39: Go For It
Chapter 40: Poorly Thought
Chapter 41: For a Long Time
Chapter 43: What If
Chapter 44: The What Effect?
Chapter 45: Smooth, Kuroo
Chapter 46: Anything

Chapter 42: From Now On

239 15 1
By princeoftheskies

"Huh?"

Jun looks terrified at what she had just blurted out. It was a moment of great epiphany that struck her in one blow — and the thought left her lips before giving herself time to process.

"No, no no no no..." She mumbles, it feels as though her soul is leaving her body.

"Hey. Snap out of it."

She sees a hand wave in front of her face. Jun's face is incredibly hot, and she's not sure if it's a cold from the rain or if it's something else.

Jun flinches."I — I'm —!"

She scrambles backwards clumsily. In a panic, she attempts to stand up from the ground but —

Kuroo's hand grips at her wrist.

Oh?

His face is flushed red, brows slightly furrowed together in a concerned, serious expression. Looking down at him, Kuroo's golden eyes looks ... strangely earnest and vulnerable — and it feels like worlds away from the sly Kuroo that Jun knows so well. The nuances in his personality never fails to confuse her.

Unable to speak, Kuroo pulls Jun down to him, pulling her in a sudden embrace.

Kuroo's arms are trembling, but he holds her close to him. Jun leans on his chest, hearing its erratic rhythm — or maybe it's hers?

Her other hand grips the back of his shirt, damp from sweat. In fact he smells like sweat — but it doesn't bother her. Not when she's just dried from rainwater.

Even in the vastness of the gym, all that space feels so small.

"You do know that I like you, right?"

Kuroo's embrace is firm. "I like you. A lot."

Silence. Jun frees herself from Kuroo's hug, keeling over as if she had just been shot. She manages to regain some composure, but she still avoids Kuroo's gaze by looking to the side.

Kuroo tilts his head, lowering himself so that he can catch a glimpse of Jun's flushed face.

"Well, you weren't exactly being subtle." Jun replies quietly. "But then again, you're also a tease. So it's hard to tell."

Kuroo's eyebrow cocks up, sensing a hint of envy in her voice. Kuroo likes to think of his flirty jabs to people as a generous gesture, made with the intention to make them smile — or laugh at.

"Hey, my flirts with you are genuine." Kuroo jabs his finger at her. Jun looks at him skeptically.

"And what is the difference, exactly?"

Kuroo purses his lips. "When I flirt with you, I feel like... a part of me wants to bury myself alive. But it's worth it."

There's a thrill of flirting recklessly with people who he's not invested in, but with her... Kuroo has no room for making mistakes. It's comical and cruel for Kuroo, a bold flirt, to suddenly be so timid when it comes to the matters of the heart.

"that sounds more like a bad thing."

Kuroo leans closer to Jun. "Hard to please, aren't you?"

Kuroo reaches out his hand and tilts Jun's chin gently upward. Her ears are red, eyes avoiding his and her lips...they strain themselves to maintain a straight line — an attempt to keep her composure at bay. The attempt is there, but Kuroo can see right through it.

It's an absolute treat to see her like this.

"Look at me." Kuroo whispers. Jun's eyes meet his.

Kuroo places a hand on her face, admiring her deeply. He feels his mouth dry up and he swallows.

"I like you. I can say it again if you're not convinced. I like you. " He inches closer, his fondness clinging to each word.

"Jun Amemori. I like you. I like you have a smart mouth and we get to bicker sometimes. I like seeing you do things you like to do, and how excited you get over sacks of flour going on sale. I like that you're resilient, no matter what trouble you get yourself into. And I really, really enjoy annoying you to no ends. I like you."

Jun's head feels dizzy.

"Okay, okay. I get it!"

Jun lets out a shaky breath, her hand lifting to lay on Kuroo's hand on her cheek. It's almost unfair— his boyish shyness and still manage to be the biggest sap overwhelms her. With his face flushed, hair looking like a ruffian, and skin smelling of sweat — he manages to effortlessly bring Jun's stomach to churn wildly.

It's unfair. Absolutely unfair.

Kuroo hums contently, and they stay like that for a while. Jun can feel the warmth of Kuroo's hand, the roughness from the callouses. He's telling her about her resilience... when he's the embodiment of that.

"So..." Kuroo takes her hand squeezes it. He glances up at her nervously. "How do you feel about me?"

Jun raises her brows.

"I feel the same way, don't I?" Jun blushes, brows crinkling, confused. "You already know."

Kuroo sighs defeatedly. "You said you think you like me. Not for sure."

Jun did not peg Kuroo as someones so fixed on semantics.

"Kuroo, I..."

She finds herself struggling to repeat herself. Hell, confronting Jun's own feelings is like seeing a full moon eclipse. Think about it: in all the years of being brutally hated and sneered at, of social isolation, of deprivation of a normal life, of repressing her own feelings for her mother's convenience... but with him — but with Kuroo

suddenly, it's all okay?

Are you sure, it's all okay to let it all out?

Kuroo... I like you.

Kuroo, I really like you.

Tets—

Kuroo interrupts her ruminating with his pointer finger, wagging playfully in front of her.

"Ah. Ah. Ah." He cracks a grin. "No need to force it. Defeats the purpose, you know?"

A wave of guilt washes over Jun. She wishes speaking those words wouldn't be so difficult.

"Are you.. disappointed?"

"Disappointed? Psh." Kuroo's laughter  gives Jun a painful reminder of how handsome he is. "Look, knowing that you don't hate me is good news enough...I'll just try harder from now on, so that you can tell me how you feel when you really mean it."

Jun looks down where their hands are holding. "From now on.."

Jun feels Kuroo squeeze her hand reassuringly. "Yeah. From now on."

The urge to kiss her is unbearable, especially knowing her feeling are the same. It feels almost like gravity — pulling him closer and closer. Looking at Jun now, the flush on her cheeks and the suppleness of her skin... And the way her eyelashes blink slowly. It was a lot for Kuroo to take in, and it takes the strength of Hercules to not give in and close the space between them.

He didn't want to surprise her — he can tell that her feelings are overwhelming her as is. For someone who's persistent, Kuroo is strangely a patient character.

Kuroo finally gets up from the ground. He holds his hand out and helps Jun up. Upon helping her up, he doesn't let go. The simple touch of hands, who knew it was enough to send Kuroo over the moon?

Jun, still flustered, feels Kuroo's thumb rub circles on the back of her hand.

When it was time to head back, the sound of rain has hushed itself. It has reduced itself to a quiet drizzle. They approach the exit of the gym, just up ahead on the stairs before them.

Jun walks ahead and lets go of Kuroo's hand, and Kuroo feels a little deflated. As expected... perhaps it would be best if the team waiting outside don't know yet. And in the dingy, white lights and the humid air of the hallway, Kuroo follows close behind Jun as they climbed up the stairs.

Jun turns around and faces Kuroo. He stops, startled at the sudden stop. He looks up at her.

"Forgot something?"

When words fail...

Jun leans forward, closing the space between them with a brief kiss — just a brief touch of the lips.

Kuroo didn't have much time to react, eyes blown huge.

Jun draws back. Kuroo takes this as the green light and taking a shark inhale, Kuroo chases her back, kissing her back firmly. His eyes closed, he feels his hand be gripped by Jun's tightly, the other cupping her face.

The second time around feels like a shock to Jun's system. Her senses are overwhelmed with the smell and warmth of Kuroo. It feels like — it feels like the world is spinning wildly, feeling her legs almost give out. Jun holds onto Kuroo to keep herself grounded as they kiss.

And Kuroo? Oh god Kuroo. Gods help him. His chest — if his heart was palpitating earlier, this strikes Kuroo's finishing blow. It takes all of Kuroo's willpower to not collapse. Without much thought, he parts his lips slightly, and he tentatively slips his tongue ...

Jun jumps at the sensation, falling backwards. Kuroo immediately catches her by the hand and pulls her back up.

"Are you all embarrassed now?" Kuroo says breathlessly, marveling at Jun's blushing face. "Sorta got carried away, my bad."

"Er... It's fine." Jun says, looking away. "It was just uh... unexpected."

That sensation is enough to arouse stupid thoughts in Jun's head... She's going to need some time to scrub her mind clean. Damn it.. Damn it Kuroo.

At that remark, Kuroo smugly gives her a grin. From that one look alone, Kuroo figured out what she was thinking. Unamused, Jun gives a jab at Kuroo's shoulder.

"Oh, I'm wounded." He says dramatically. A small price to pay for a high reward.

Jun laughs ruthlessly. "You signed up for this."

"I know I did," Kuroo says shrugging, "you being a brute is part of the charm."

He's not sure what their futures are going to be, but as long as she's in his, and he's in hers — perhaps it'll all turn out alright.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 812 35
In a land far away there was a shy boy named Kenma. While he was quiet and shy he had the sweetest heart, beloved by his father, mother, and all that...
91 13 12
"A world where soulmates are connected in some ways when they turned 15 years old. In which the other half can hear the voice of the other, while the...
140K 3.5K 17
Kozume Kenma never thought that he'd find love, or even someone remotely like him. He was an outcast, whose life revolved around his phone and volley...
737 8 19
in which your useless degree finally pays off, landing you a new job (and maybe a new lover). alternatively: kenma really needs a new roommate and (...