This Love

By jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... More

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters

11.2K 462 19
By jowanderstruck

Dedicated to @MaitriShah2 for being awesome! Thank you. :D

Chapter Sixteen-Hobbies and Sisters

"Good Afternoon, Ma'am. How may I help you?" I smiled politely to the woman who walked in my section. She returned my greeting with a sweet smile. I noticed she was probably about my age. Her brown hair was tied in a neat ponytail. The light make-up on her face emphasized her features, thin almond eyes, small nose and voluptuous lips.

The tall woman looked chic and feminine in a dark floral button down tucked in a white rose-printed skirt that stopped right above her knees. She completed her look with a black and orange leather handbag and nude cut-out heels.

Thank you. Thank you very much. I curtseyed in my mind. Because of my job at Lumiere, I've learned more about clothes and my friendship with the other salesperson taught me about shoes and bags. T-shirts, jeans and sneakers used to be the only words in my fashion vocabulary.

Speaking of other salespersons, I had concerned looks welcoming me in the dept. store when I came in. They were all asking how I was feeling. Then I remembered I collapsed yesterday due to over fatigue. It's unbelievable that that only occurred yesterday when I felt like a lot has already happened to me. Actually A LOT has been happening to me recently. I can't help but smile when I remembered my exchange of weird texts with Michael this morning.

"You're very lucky Mr. Madrid was there." Ma'am Bridgit said during our break time.

I gave her and two more salesladies around me a closed-lip smile as if I wanted to say 'No comment'. It's not like I don't feel lucky but it's weird talking about Michael with them. He's they're boss. I mean our boss.  

The tall brown-haired woman was gently pushing hangers from a rack of see-through button downs. She lifted a white one with small hearts printed all over it and gold plated at the edge of the collar.  

"Isn't this pretty?"

I nodded in agreement. "Would you like to try it on?"

"Nah. I'm just admiring my hard work." Her reply confused me. How could the blouse be her hard work? She moved around the racks and checked out all the mannequins. A few minutes later, she covered her eyes with black sunglasses.

"Thanks! See ya around!" she exclaimed before heading to the escalators. I watched her walked away from my section like a supermodel. I didn't really do anything for her but I appreciated her friendliness. I wished all the customers were that polite and pleasant.

Some of those shoppers really get in my nerves most of the time. I'm well aware of their right to choose what they wish to buy but it doesn't hurt to be considerate at times and polite at all times. One time, I made a mistake of getting the wrong dress size and the woman bitched out in the middle of the store and demanded for the manager.

Fortunately, Miss Bridgit had been nothing but understanding with the situation. She knew the customer was being shallow and unreasonable. It took me a lot of self-control not to yell at the woman. She was lucky I didn't raise myself to be rude and scandalous.

Thirty minutes before my shift ended, Ma'am Bridgit strolled to my section. I thought she was going to ask me to go to the stockroom or something but I was wrong.

"Mr. Madrid wants you in his office right after your shift." she informed me kindly.

"I wasn't late. In fact I was twenty minutes early. I didn't do anything wrong. I barely have a customer in my section. Why would he want me there?" I talked too fast, panic in my tone. "Did Carlos say if he was mad or something?"

She shrugged. "Sorry. He only said Mr. Madrid wants to see you in his office by five. Relax, Madi. I'm sure it's nothing serious."

Great. I have thirty minutes to think of all the possible reasons Michael have to summon me in his office after work. Did he find our little exchange of messages inappropriate? Oh please. He's not exactly Mr. Appropriate with his invasion of my privacy. I've tried thinking of reasons but one doesn't even come to mind.

Shoot! It's five. I decided to change into my casual clothes, a navy blue collared shirt, skinny jeans and sneakers before going up the office floor.

"Good afternoon, Miss Daniel. How are you feeling?" Does everybody know about what happened to me yesterday? I guessed if the CEO carried you to the clinic then everybody will.

"Hi, Avery. I'm good. Thanks for asking. You know I'm still waiting for the day that you and Carlos call me Madi."

She chuckled. "I'm glad you're okay. Go ahead."

I waved and headed to the hallway. With a brisk walk, I reached Carlos desk. He looked adorable in a bright yellow suit over a floral dress shirt and white oxfords. His clothes suited his radiant personality. Fashionable and sassy like Avery. I wasn't surprised at all when I learned that they're best friends.

"Hi, Carlos."

"Hello, Miss Daniel. He's ready for you."

Before I entered Michael's office, I asked Carlos the same things I asked Ma'am Bridgit. To my disadvantage, they both have the same answers. We're all clueless. Ugh! I didn't have a choice but to just get in there and find out myself.

Michael lifted his head as he heard the doors open. He closed the folder he was reading and stood from his chair. With a few long strides, he was a meter away from me. My pulse quickened with our proximity. Because he was towering me, I had to raise my chin to make eye contact with him.

"Hi, Angel." His gentle tone told me he wasn't mad. Michael calling me Angel doesn't irritate me as much as it used to. I was getting used to it and if I was being completely honest with myself, I liked it when he calls me that. I was far from being an angel but when he uses it to call me I feel like one.

"Hi." My voice was almost a whisper. His lovely browns were staring right at me but I managed to look away. "You wanted to see me?" I strolled around his office to be away from him a little. The closeness was making me uneasy and to my horror, not in a bad way.

"Would you like a drink?" I shook my head. "You left me hanging."

I sat on the couch by the glass wall. I guessed it was okay to sit without him offering. I kind of earned not asking permission from him the moment I knew he had a PI follow me around.

His office had the perfect view of the busy city. He followed sitting across from me. It took me a minute to figure out what he meant. Then it hit me. He was referring to our exchange of texts during lunchtime.

"Sorry. I had to go to class." You know the one where I pretended to listen to my professor because I was too busy thinking of you. "Don't tell me you called me here to reply to your last message?"

By the way he looked at me, I realized I was right. He crossed his long legs and I knew I was staring. How can I not stare? Looking at him was like looking at a Greek god-like being. "So you're into a lot of things?"

I gave him an apologetic smile for telling a white lie. "I was bluffing. I never really had the time to do other things aside from school and work."

"I see." His playful expression turned into a concerned one. "What about sports?"

"Are we doing the info trade now?" He nodded. "Nope. I'm not really athletic and I have a lazy ass. You?"

He laughed. "Any sport where I'm in control. I don't have a lazy ass."

I grinned at his response. "Like what?"

"Racing, flying among others. What are your hobbies?"

Gosh, I felt like answering a slam book. "Reading, listening to music and si-." I was interrupted by a commotion outside his doors.

"Carlos! Lemme in! I need to see him." A female's voice said before the doors were open. Michael and I both stood and walked to the doors to see what was going on. I recognized the woman from the dept. store.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Madrid. I told her to wait but she insisted." Carlos bowed apologetically looking quite terrified.

"It's okay, Carlos. You can go back to your desk."

"Seriously, Mikey? Do I need an appointment before I can see you? Why does h-?" she stopped when she saw me. "Oh. Oh shit. I'm sorry." she laughed slightly embarrassed. Michael rolled his eyes at the woman. "Why can't Carlos just tell me you're with someone?" she smiled at me and glared at Michael.

"No. I was just leaving." I mumbled eyeing the doors.

"No you're not." Michael stopped me before I could even make a step. The woman and I both had surprised looks but hers turned into an amused one. He pulled me to his side so we're both facing the woman who took off her sunglasses. "Madeleine, this is my sister, Michaela. Michaela, this is Madeleine."

Sister? I looked at Michaela's small eyes and she had the same pair of hazel browns. They're definitely related. Why didn't I see the resemblance immediately?

"It's very nice to meet you, Madeleine." Michaela held out her hand.

"You too. Please call me Madi."

"Are you guys dating?" she whispered to me but loud enough for Michael to hear.

"Oh god no. I work at the department store part-time." I was too quick to deny. Michael seemed to agree with me with the bank look on his face.

"That's right! You're the one with my clothing line. Thank you for working hard. I heard my clothes are selling fast." I was relieved the conversation has been redirected.

"Wow. You designed those clothes?"

"Yup. Kiss and Tell is my first collection."

"That's amazing." I complimented. That explained what she said earlier about the blouse being her hard work.

"Thanks." She beamed at me. "I like you." she added and I simply smiled.

Her eyes twinkled as she talked about her collection for teens and young adults. From what I saw, Kiss and Tell was mostly printed and floral tops, dresses and skirts. It was a great collection for me. Pretty and wearable. I'd buy some of the pieces if I could afford one. Nothing in the department store agreed with my clothing budget. I'd still stick to the ukay-ukay and cheap bazaars.

Talking to Michaela was a delight. She's double majoring in Fashion Design and Business Administration at MIU. I didn't even know that was possible. I guessed if your parents are board members of the school, anything was possible.

She's been thinking of minoring in Information Technology. We're supposed to be graduating next year but if she pursues her minor, she'd have to stay for one more year or so. I think she's pretty amazing like her brother. They're both more than the pretty faces. I can only imagine her juggling her majors and clothing line all together.

She wanted to tell me about Spotlight, her collection of dresses perfect for nights out but Michael mentioned my work at Harlow. I didn't want to leave Michaela because she was really sweet and nice but Michael looked impatient as he watched me chat with her sister.

He insisted on taking me to work even if I refused. He asked me to stay put while he used the restroom. I rolled my eyes as he did.

"Excuse my brother's poor behavior. He's pissed I stole you from him." Michaela muttered as her brother left us alone. "Anyway, do you like him?" Michaela asked with searching eyes. Damn, hers remind me so much of Michael's hazel browns. Although Michael's were bigger and really mesmerizing.

"We're just... He's my boss." Holy crap. Do I? It was a yes or no question and yet I had no answer.

"So what? I think he likes you!" Her voice was now high-pitched. She lightly elbowed me as if we've known each other for years instead of minutes. I like Michaela but her bluntness scares me.

"I doubt that." Does he?

"Are you ready?" Michael's voice interrupted Michaela's attempt to speak. She rolled her eyes at her brother. That's one more thing they had in common aside from the eye color.

"It's great to meet you, Madi. We'll talk again soon. I promise." Michaela embraced me even if we just met.

I gave her a genuine smile looking forward to the next time we'll see each other again. It felt nice to meet someone close to Michael. Just imagine all the things she can tell me about her brother. Whoa!

"I'll see you at home Friday night, Mikey. Don't forget. Mom's expecting you. Marco and Audrey are back. I can't wait to see Chantal!" Where did I hear that name before?

"Yeah. Yeah. I'll be there." Michael rolled his eyes at his sister before giving her a peck on the cheek.

Awww. Who knew Michael could be a sweet brother?

Added some people on the cast list. Check 'em out. Thank you for reading. How was this chapter? Vote if I deserve it! Have a great week! :D

BTW, 3000+ reads is amazing! DOn't be a stranger and comment!

Next Update: Monday or Tuesday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 17K 55
Troy Anderson had an ideal life everyone dreamed of. He had everything he wanted. Being the heir and the future CEO of their family company put a lot...
286 71 7
Life will surely strike you in the hardest way possible that you would hesitate to get through it or just give it all up. You would think that love i...
2K 512 24
When a bet goes wrong during a party, Sonny Davis's life is turned upside down. Two years later he finds himself in a town called Coverton tutoring...
33 5 11
Jessie a 21 year old University student, lost her boyfriend in an accident. She gets dream everytime about her boyfriend. Is that a dream or it is an...