This Love

By jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... More

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages

13.1K 465 65
By jowanderstruck

Annyeong readers! Just to clear things up, I am not stopping in writing this story. I shall do my best to continue updating. I'm very happy that some people are actually reading this (2000 reads y'all!) and like it and added it to their reading list. I also earned some new followers last week so shoutout to you guys! Who would have thought I started with 4? Enjoy the new chapter!

Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages

My mind was awake but my eyes refuse to open due to the comfort of my bed. My bed? I'm supposed to be in the car with Michael. I opened my eyes and there was the familiar cream ceiling with a fluorescent bulb in the middle. I was definitely in my small room.

"Morning, Angel." Kyla greeted as I quickly sat up and rubbed my eyes. She's awake! It's bright outside! What time is it?! "Don't panic, Angel. Dr. De Vera texted me last night that she's not coming today. But she gave an assignment via email. Talk about good and bad news at the same time. I'm already checking it out."

A glance at the wall clock told me it was nine. "How did I get here?"

"You don't remember, Angel?"

What is wrong with my best friend? It was the third time she used 'Angel'. "Why do you keep on calling me Angel?" I mirrored her sweet way of saying my name.

Apparently, Michael called her early this morning to open the door. He carried me, bridal style, Kyla emphasized, up to the house then inside our room. At first, she taught I was drunk but Michael explained that I was just tired. Too tired to be awakened by what's going on. Kyla also teased about hearing Michael say goodbye to me.

"Sleep tight, Angel." she mocked, tucking strands of hair behind my ear.

"Stop it." I swat her hand away. "And stop calling me Angel. You know how much I hate my second name."

"As much as I hate mine. But Michael beg to differ." she smiled and I rolled my eyes. Getting up, I realized she was ready for school. I bathe and dressed quickly. She checked the assignment our professor gave as I did. For a few minutes, we started with the work given to us and decided to finish it in school.

We were getting out from our room when we noticed our boardmates gathered by the windows chattering and giggling. Lisa and Ali were there too.

"What's goin on?" Kyla asked Ali.

"There's a hot dude in front of our gate with a hot car." she explained, excitement all over her face.

"Oh my gosh! Look! He's looking here." Hana, a first year nursing student jumped as she announced what's happening with the 'hot dude'. They all jumped and giggled as they stared outside the window. I found it kind of pathetic. If I'd be attracted to someone I'd die before one sees me giggle like that.

Knowing Kyla, she has grown interest. She wanted to see what the fuss was about. I told her we should go but she grabbed my hand and squeezed us both through the giggling girls until we were in front of the window with Lisa and Ali.

"Holy shit." we cursed loudly in unison silencing the giggling and chattering.

The 'hot dude' was Michael and the 'hot car' was his white Lexus LFA. What's he doing in front of my gate? We've been together just a few hours ago. Can't this guy give me a break?

He leaned on his car with both hands inside his pockets. Dark aviators covered his eyes. He was wearing a navy blue suit today looking immaculate as always. My new glasses truly helped me as I checked him out. Checked him out? I meant see. Just see.

There was so much more to him than being a hot dude. I know that for sure. Behind his picture-perfect appearance, was a generous, sensible and thoughtful man. And difficult, manipulative and domineering. I can't still get over the fact that he had me investigated. God knows what he knows about me.

My past wasn't exactly a deep dark secret but it's not something I'd share to people. Only Kyla knew about it aside from those people I left behind. Nobody else should be added to that list. Not even this hot dude.

He lifted his head and his lips formed into a smile. I knew he spotted me. He put up a hand to wave at me. I waved back shyly and shocked gasps and whispers filled my ears but my attention was still on Michael. I felt everything go slow motion when he took off his glasses making the girls squeal some more.

"Morning." he mouthed, his grin growing bigger. I shook my head in disapproval of his presence in front of my house but I found myself smiling with him.

"Did he just wave at you?" Lisa asked beside me elbowing me lightly and I looked at Kyla for help. "Oh my gosh! Was he your date that night?" I nodded and she squeaked. God, I think I heard enough squeaks for my lifetime. "Didn't know you we're into older guys."

"I- I'm not. We should go." I tugged Kyla's hand before Lisa  asks some more. I don't feel like answering questions about my personal life right now.

I ignored the surprised looks I got from my boardmates as I pulled my best friend out. They all knew how I like to keep things to myself. They're very much aware that I was reserved. It's not like I didn't try to be friendly and chatty, I just have trust issues. I kept a close circle of friends for a reason.

As I descended the stairs with Kyla, Michael locked his eyes with mine. I swallowed hard as we neared him. As if on cue, butterflies exploded inside my stomach, my knees turned into jelly and my heart rammed out of my chest. I hated the effect he had on me.

It took me a minute to realize we were already in front of him. I composed myself. "What are you doin' here?"

"Good morning to you too, Angel." His sarcasm caused Kyla to bit a giggle. "It's nice to see you again, Miss Domingo."

"Her name's Kyla, Michael. Care to answer my question?"

"Feisty are we this morning, I see." I squinted my eyes at him. "Remember when I said yesterday that I'm gonna make it up to you?" It took me a few minutes to realize what he was trying to say. The glasses!

"That's what you had in mind?" I circled my index finger at the Lexus and he shrugged. "I can't. Kyla and I are-."

"Miss Domingo, may I steal your best friend for a short time? I have arranged a ride for you to MIU."

David showed up from nowhere. Then I noticed the SUV parked a few meters away. We waited for Kyla to respond. I beckoned her to say no to Michael. I trust her. She's my friend. She's protective of me. She would never ag-. "Sure." she blurted out.

My mouth dropped open and I glared at her. How could she? "What?"

She ignored me and walked towards Michael's driver. "Hi. David, right? See at school bes! Love you!" She threw me a flying kiss before going out of sight. I watched as the SUV drove off. The nerve to blow me a kiss after leaving me alone with the guy she wanted me to be careful with. That's how unpredictable Kyla could be.

"Shall we?" Michael held the door open for me.

"I can't believe my best friend chose the car ride over me. Damn, Lexus." I said bending in the car.

"Hey, you'll hurt her feelings."

"Oh so this one's a girl? Does she have a name?" He just grinned closing my door and walking around the car.

I jumped and closed my eyes when he leaned to me to buckle my seatbelt. His woodsy mint scent filled my nostrils. God, he's intoxicating. When I felt my seatbelt was already fastened, I opened my eyes but he was still leaning into me. I breathe heavily at our closeness. He smiled and tucked strands of hair behind my ear. His touch sent shivers through my body.

He settled on his seat, slipping his keys into the ignition. "It's Angel." he announced before the car moved smoothly on the road. It wasn't long before it hit me that he named his car after me. That's if I assumed correctly. I mean there's no reason for him to do that. We were silent before he spoke.

"Did you eat breakfast?" I shook my head and his expression was disapproving. "Why do I even ask?" He made a U-turn and we're on the opposite direction from the university. He slid his phone on the dashboard and attached an earpiece. I watched him dial someone on his phone. "Jules, it's me."

"Hey, Mikey!" I winced as a woman answered on the other line. Mikey? Why would this man put his conversation with another woman in speaker? There's this foreign feeling inside me that was indescribable and unwanted.

"The usual?" Jules asked snapping me back to earth.

"Yes, please. Make it three."

"No prob."

"I'll be there in ten." I was frowning at the window. I wondered who that woman was and why she called him Mikey. Michael didn't mind so that meant they were close. "Jules is my cousin." he stated and I couldn't hide my relief. "She works at a coffee shop where I'm a regular."

"Okay." I tried to sound cool. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. What the hell, Madi?

Like he said, Michael was parking in front of Starbucks after ten minutes. "Why are we stopping? My class is in twenty minutes."

"Stay here. This will be quick." He rushed outside before I could even ask what he was doing. In quick five minutes, he was back with carton of three cups of Frappuccino on one hand and a brown bag on the other. Once inside the car, he gave me one cup and the bag while he placed his drink on the cup holder between us. "Eat." he ordered. I nibbled on the weird black sandwich and enjoyed my sweet cold drink.

As I was about to take another bite, Michael grabbed my hand holding the bread and took the food on his mouth. His action stunned me. I stared at him while he chewed with delight not looking at me once. He just took a bite from my sandwich which had my saliva on it. He didn't even look a bit bothered by that.

"Finish your food." How could I when we just shared a sandwich? I wanted to tell him but I kept my mouth shut. I turned my head to face the window as I took a bite of my food. Somehow, I had this stupid grin on my face that I didn't want him to see.

Just like the first time, the car turned heads as it entered the university driveway. I begged Michael to stay in the car while I climb out. He frowned as I explained that I don't want to get any attention with him opening the car for me and said it's nonsense. He agreed after I begged and after two eye rolls.

He handed me the third frappe and said it was for Kyla. I smiled at the thoughtfulness and thanked him twice for the breakfast and the ride.

I held the handle of the door but it was locked. Tried again. Really locked. I looked at him to say unlock it but he was smirking at me. "Oh." he said feigning innocence and I rolled my eyes. "See you later, Angel."

"Thanks again." Somehow it bothered me that I have a lot to thank him recently.

He waved at me and I watch him disappear from my view. A stupid grin formed on my lips again. I've been smiling more recently. I'd like to think it was because of something else but I can't deny that it was because of someone.

"Nice ride." Rico's voice startled me.

"Hi. Morning." I greeted him once I turned to face him, ignoring the comment. He was wearing a plaid polo over a white V-neck shirt, dark denims and combat boots. His hair was messy but he still looked good.

"You look cheery today. I'll walk you to your class." I agreed. He volunteered to carry the frappe and bag for me.

We went up to the third floor where my classroom was. As we walked through the hallways, he told me about the band's gig on Friday and asked Kyla and I to come. I knew Kyla wouldn't miss to see SoM again. She'll even invite Lisa and Ali to go.

"Just drop by for one song. Deandra is a few blocks from Harlow."

"I'll tell Kyla. I'm sure she'd love to go."

"I want you to be there too." I smiled before telling him I'll try to talk to my bosses to shift nights off. Again.

"This is me." I stopped in front of the door of my Lit class.

"I hope to see you Friday night."

"Bye." I said getting back Kyla's food and drink and walking in the room.

My best friend was more than excited to finish the breakfast Michael bought for her. She asked me what happened in the car with him. I was like what the hell should happen. He drove us to Starbucks then to the MIU. I left out the part when Michael took a bite from my sandwich. I still can't believe he did that.

"I like him." she announced as we walked out of class. "I mean I like him for you." she quickly added.

"Because of the food and free ride? I didn't know it was so easy to bribe you. I thought you said he was an asshat."

"What he did was an asshat move but everybody deserves a second chance. But be careful okay."

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know why she'd say that. Her serious tone bothered me. Kyla doesn't do serious. Not unless it's necessary.

"Everything he's doing might be overwhelming and exciting. Just don't go too fast."

"Are you high or something? One minute you're telling me you like him then be careful of him the next."

"Shut up, bes. Just listen to me."

I don't even know what to make out of what she said. Michael and I are... Shoot. What are we anyway? I work for him to pay my debt. He bought me food and stuff, drove me to school and work and said he cared for me. He also yelled at me and ordered me around even if he denied it. We kissed once and I promised not to ever again. He called himself my boyfriend once. Let's not forget he's my stalker too and we shared a sandwich. I don't think I'll forget that one in a while. What are we exactly?

When we reached the cafeteria, I brought out my phone so Kyla can teach me more how it works. We were goofily taking photos when it pinged. There was a message.

"Who's MSB?" Kyla asked and I immediately grabbed the phone from her. "MSB for Mr. Sexy Back?"

"Yeah. Yeah. It's Michael."

"Since when did you call him Michael."

"Since yesterday. He asked me to." I held up my index finger to silence her. She's my best friend and it's her role to tease me and point the obvious but I'm not in the mood to hear that from her now. I opened the tiny envelope and rolled my eyes with the bossy text.

Eat your lunch.

Is this what he meant with what he said yesterday? "From now on, I will make sure you eat and never skip a meal. You'll have goddamn midnight snacks if you need to."

I had no plans on texting him back. Kyla asked what Michael said and I showed her the text. It was clear from the frown on her face that the text disappointed her. What was she expecting? Probably something sweet and cheesy.

We were both surprised that I bought a rice meal at the counter. It's like I had this feeling that Michael will show up from nowhere if I don't eat a proper meal. If I know, he still had that private investigator following me around. Besides, I don't want a repeat of what happened yesterday at the dept. store. It was embarrassing enough that everyone had to witness their CEO carrying me.

Kyla suggested that I take a photo of my plate before and after I eat and send it to Michael. She said he'll find it funny. I decided to humor her. An hour later, she taught me how to collage the photos and send it to Michael. I typed a quick text after the photo.

ME: Happy now?

He immediately replied.

MSB: Good girl. I think you deserve that ride every day.

It was his comment to me when I praised his LFA the first time I rode it. The idea was appealing but just thinking about all attention it would get made me nauseous.

ME: That's really thoughtful but no thanks.

MSB: Why not? :(

Whoa. Michael Madrid, CEO just used a sad face on me.

ME: Don't like the attention and you're making me miss my daily work out.

MSB: We could work out together if you like. We could do A LOT of things.

ME: Not sure if the emphasis on A LOT is interesting or concerning. Pls. enlighten me on what you mean by A LOT.

MSB: A LOT of exercise, Miss Daniel but you seemed to be thinking of something else.

Shoot. He's right. What was I thinking? And what are we doing? We're talking about working out. Isn't that a bit odd? What's more odd was that I'm not usually the text type of person and now I'm exchanging messages with Michael. Well, I was on prepaid then and I seldom have load to call or text anyone. Because of him, I can even make a call overseas. That's if I had someone to call.

MSB: I was right, wasn't I?

He sent when I didn't reply. Damn it. Can he read minds?

ME: Sorry, I'm not into exercising.

MSB: What are you into then?

ME: A LOT of things.

I can imagine him smiling or rolling his eyes with my reply.

MSB: Emphasis on A LOT is interesting and concerning. Pls. enlighten me on what A LOT means.

I grinned at his text which mirrored mine. I was about to answer but Kyla came back from the comfort room and invited me to go to our class. I slipped in my phone in my pocket and walked out of the cafeteria with her.

To say that I was distracted during Educ Psychology would be the understatement of the week. I kept thinking about sports cars, Korean noodles and sandwiches. My mind was way far from Sigmund Freud's theory. It was flying around fancy coffee shops and 7 Eleven. Then to mischievous brown eyes and annoying smug look. I stared blankly at my bald professor standing in a small podium in front of the room. I see him opening his mouth but I can't hear anything. Nothing was going inside my head.

Shoot. Is this what losing focus was like? No way. Madi Daniel doesn't lose focus. What is he doing to me?

I can't remember the last time I was this inattentive in class. I mean I had those days like all the other students. Doodling and scribbling while pretending to listen to lectures and staring at the clock every other minute. But when I started college, I was determined to be a diligent student. I listened to lectures attentively, get involved in class discussions actively, turned in requirements punctually and finished readings religiously. Kyla has called me a nerd, geek and grade conscious a couple times. Being four-eyed kind of gave it away.

My hard work has been paying off because I'm a Dean's Lister for several semesters now. I don't make such a big deal out of it but being on that list motivated me to work harder for myself.

For four years, my life had been all about studying and working. My life goal was to learn and get good grades so I could graduate, pass the board exams and be high school teacher. This was what I needed. To remind myself of my priorities. I can't be distracted.

Once the two-hour daydreaming was finished, I said goodbye to Kyla who was going to volleyball practice. I, on the other hand headed to Lumiere immediately. I used to drag my feet to the mall knowing I'll be working there without an actual pay but today was sort of different. I wanted to go there. I'm excited to go there. Is it because of-? I shook my head. No, Madi. You don't wanna go down that road! You can't lose focus. I reminded myself and immediately dismissed the thought. Or at least I tried to.

Dedicated to @FanLikerCommenter ! Gamsahabnida!

I'm watching a lot of Korean series right now so it kind of affected me here and in reality. Do you guys watch Korean series? Maybe you could recommend new ones to me. Romantic-comedies only. A bit of drama is okay because they really put a lot of plot twists. Drama is inevitable. Hakhak. Anyway, I'm talking nonsense. I hope you enjoyed this chapter though.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.6K 2.6K 110
Leanne was once a sweet, young and happy girl until she tragically lost her parents and went into the care of her cruel aunt and thrown into a life e...
2.7K 285 68
Just s short little story about young love, self discovery, and finding happiness even when things don't go the way we hoped they would.
37 2 15
Madeleine has hatred build up inside of her... until she meets Joshua. She learns love is better than hatred and that she can love someone.
14.4K 897 31
After a fiery one night stand, Jason and Amy are surprised to see each other at work the following morning. He's the new CEO of Coopers and Co. She's...